Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Red handed...er...pawed? [Wolfie]

Started by Roxy, June 25, 2013, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxy

"Ouch!"  Teague had frozen mid-step, wincing hard.  He lifted his foot to see that a branch rendered the last of his footwear to nothing but hide.

His clothes were hanging thin, too, barely by the seam, but that was an issue he knew for a while.  He gave a nervous chew of his lips.   He didn't particularly care if he was reduced to nudity, but he was sure everyone else would.  And while he loved attention – he liked mocking and scorn a little less.

Now barefoot, he strolled into the village, conflicted.  Some innate part of him told him to affect an extreme act of casualty, like that it was perfectly normal for a wild boy to roam around townships, but acting was difficult to grasp.  More accurately, it was difficult for him to tone it down.

But he needed to be somewhat inconspicuous if he wanted to pickpocket with relative success.

After a show of glancing around, he caught the back of his first target.  He couldn't tell from behind their gender or class, but they were alone.  Some thieves would've preferred a crowd, but Teague thought his chances of being caught were slimmer if he rushed him or her, grabbed either their belongings or the gold in their pockets, and dashed off into or behind a hut.  He or she would have to shout for back-up, as opposed to it automatically being there.

So he clamored up behind the person in question, then his hand lurched forward and dipped – fully intending on snatching whatever was on their belt or in their pocket – but before he could even feel for a knapsack of any sort, he saw with great horror and shock a hand grabbing his by the wrist.

He was pretty sure he was gaping, his eyes wide when the person turned to look at him.  After a beat he busted out with a winner, "Y-yer tunic's singed, miss!!"

wolfie

Sighing she wondered what in the world she was doing in this village. She hated humans, but game wasn't that easy to come by. Something had drawn her there. She just couldn't figure out what or why. Her clothing was ragged and hung somewhat loosely. She knew it wouldn't be long before she was clothed in fur again instead of this horrible skinned being.

Amaris felt a hand on her belt searching. She smiled and tried not to chuckle at the fact there was nothing there. She didn't own anything a pickpocket would want to possess. Grabbing him by the wrist she had him. Turning around without losing her grip she noted this one was wearing lose clothing and looked like he needed a good meal.

"I'm not too worried about singed clothing. Who are you and why are you feeling my waist up?" She said pretending not to know that this guy was trying hard to steal from her. She sighed not liking the look of this.

Roxy

Still captive, Teague began to unspool a sloppy story.  It seemed he was almost desperate not to answer her question.  "Ye sure ye didn' have a run-in with a dragon – I mean – yer tunics' burned miss!!  Look!  All molten an' black an' everythin'!"

His voice rose higher and higher, ironically having the opposite effect than what he would've intended.  A couple of heads turned to the commotion, and while no one seemed too concerned as of yet, they were plenty curious enough to keep on looking. 

"But I – I-I-I can fix it for ye if ye want!  I'm real talented at sewing, ye better believe it!  Skin a new deer for ye, even!  Jus...lemme go, I'll honor me word!  I'll tell ye everythin'!"  Here he tried to worm out of her hold, backing up and twisting his arm this way and that. 

wolfie

"Stop it now, I'm stronger than I look. I don't care about my clothing its just that clothing. Look runt tell me everything now or I'll turn you in for being a lousy thief," she said cutting to the chase. She really didn't like humans and this one was getting on her last nerve.

She stepped forward as he stepped back determined not to let him go. She didn't trust him one bit. Then again she didn't trust any humans. Noticing the looks coming her way she sighed wishing the kid hadn't caught any attention. She hated human attention usually someone always asked the wrong questions making her leave quickly.

"You could catch a deer in these parts? From what I know game is scare out there. Now try again."

Roxy

"Ach!  Okay, okay!"  Teague didn't want to get in trouble any more than this woman, so he relaxed, fixing a sullen glare to his trapped hand.  Thieving was a lot more complicated than uprooting cabbage or beets, gosh!

His eyes softened when he met her gaze, turning sheepish and bright red, his grin wobbly.  Man, this was embarrassing!  "I'ma...I'm Teague,  Ma'am.  I was jus' lookin' for a little somethin' somethin' to get by."  Well, there was no use to continue lying to her, now was there?  It probably wasn't wise to admit that in front of their little audience, considering the abundance of magic users in these parts, but he didn't know that!

He gave her another once-over, realizing with even greater humiliation that this woman couldn't have possessed much of anything apart from the skins on her back, which like his, were also coming to pieces.  God, now he felt truly awful!  "I'ma so sorry Marm!  I've no idea!  I'd catch an' skin a deer for ye if I could!"

wolfie

"Teague good now I have a name too," she said not sure what to do with this boy. If she let him go he would just try to rob again. She didn't think that wise considering the others around here. She didn't want the boy to lose a hand over something so trivial.

"Well I don't have much myself. You aren't from around here are you?" She said having a feeling he was passing through just like she was. She sighed still trying to figure out what to do with the boy. He hadn't taken anything off of her so technically he hadn't stolen anything.

"If there were deer near here I could hunt for myself. Do you know this area better than I do?" She asked knowing her nose didn't do her wrong. She hadn't caught more than a rabbit or two in the last few days. It wasn't substantial meat, but it did keep her from fainting from lack of food.

"When was the last time you ate?"

Roxy

"...Oh, gee.  Just this mornin' Marm!  I caught a couple fish near the woods,"  Teague smiled widely, as though proud of himself...when really, the actual spectacle was less than beauteous or anything worth a boast.  He'd just reverted to four legs as opposed to two, his thick muzzle immersing itself in the stream...

When she questioned his whereabouts, his smile seemed to falter for a beat, but thankfully she kept asking questions.  Ignoring it, he continued – with way too much cheer, considering she still held him captive – "I might! ...Oh!  We can hunt together, Marm!" 

wolfie

"Ah a young fisherman," she said wondering how much further this was going to go on. There was something about him something that made her skin crawl. She just wasn't sure what it was. His offer didn't go on deaf ears either.

"Teague you don't like answering questions much mine are simple yes or no type. You want to go hunting? We can do that," she said still not letting him go. She had a feeling she wouldn't be able to just drag him out of this place without some kicking, scratching, and howling over it.

"I can't say I trust you enough to let you go just yet though. If I did you might run away and then that would leave me without a hunting partner. So where do you think those deer are hiding?"