Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Runaways [M]

Started by Incognus, November 10, 2016, 02:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incognus

Boreas didn't know what hit him. One moment he had her and the next a gust of wind hit the young man like a rhino, sending him flying backwards. His breath was knocked from him when his body impacted the ground. Taking a few deep breaths, He sat up quickly and stared at the girl. No way. This is bad. He looked around the arena noticing the lack of background noise. The crowd went silent in shock, the guards were frozen in place, but only for a moment.

"HERITIC!" called a voice from the stands. Cries of insults and booing erupted from the crowd and the guards leaped into action, those posted above the wall jumping down into the pit. Boreas picked up his staff from where it landed next to him and rushed toward the girl. He reached Jasper and stood over her, tip of his staff pointing down at her face.

"You know magic." He said, more of a statement that a question. His eyes were wide but not in fear, closer to a look of surprise and awe.

DragonSong

Well.

Fuck.

So much for some easy coin. That was three parties hunting her now- apparently she just had a knack for this sort of thing.

Jaz's rambling thoughts were interrupted when she tried to spring up and found a staff blocking her path. She glowered up at Boreas and her lips pulled back in a snarl.

"Yes," she snapped. "You gonna hold me here for the guards, like a good little dog?" The knuckles gripping her dagger were white, and for the first time the panic whirling in her chest actually showed on her face.

Incognus

He stared at her for a moment, thoughts racing through his head. Then his eyes became harder, and he locked eyes with Jasper's, her words barely registering to him. "Help me," he whispered. The guards slowed slightly, thinking Jasper was subdued for the time being.

When they reached him, Boreas whirled around and smacked one of the guards in the skull, knocking him out cold. He then spun around and did the same to another. He was able to take two down with his surprise attack, but now they were ready. Boreas turned to face off against a third guard while more closed in. The crowd gasped and began yelling angrily at the "evil outlaws" calling for "arrest and execution". Boreas was all in now, and he hoped his bet would pay out.

DragonSong

Jaz's eyes went round and she gaped at him. "Help..."

Then the fight was on. She jumped to her feet with a shout, but two guards were down before she could even really move.

"Hey, ya can't just take 'em all for yourself," she tossed at Boreas with a confident smile. Back on her feet, magic buzzing at her fingertips, she felt in control again. Powerful.

Her hand was shown now. She might as well play it.

"Gwynt a thân, yn dod i mi! Yr Wyddgrug i fy ewyllys!" Fire leaped to life between her hands, flicking gold, orange, and blue green. She spread her hands and the flames jumped to do her bidding, lashing out in whiplike tendrils to attack the guards.

They were down in moments- not unconscious, not all of them, but down. "Come on!" She grabbed the young man's arm. "What's the fastest way out of here? Quick!"

Incognus

Boreas dispatched the guard he was engaged with by dodging, sweeping his feet and bringing the staff down on his forehead. He spun around to find the majority of the guards down. Several were dead, to Boreas's dislike, but there was no time to complain as those far away were still able to fight, and they were closing in. "We need to climb out of here," Boreas said pulling her towards the wall and jumping up. He grabbed the top and hoisted himself over the edge into the stands. The crowd was already running after Jasper's burst of flame took out those guards. A straggling audience member launched himself at Boreas, who redirected the man into the arena. Crouching down, he held out his hand to Jasper so he could pull her up. "Come on!"

DragonSong

Jasper didn't think twice, leaping to grab his hand and scrambling over the wall to join him. "We have to. get out of here yesterday," she hissed, starting to run through the stands.

"You're from here, right? Where do we go?" she threw at her unexpected companion.

Incognus

"I- I don't know where. Lets just concentrate on getting away first!" Boreas ran with her up the rows to the top of the arena. Running through the exit at the top, the pair found themselves on the streets, the arena actually being a pit in the ground rather than being built up above, save the outermost walls. A guard waiting at the doorway jumped out and swung at Boreas. He wasn't ready and the attack caught him by surprise. He raised his staff in a pity attempt to block the blade moving toward his head.

DragonSong

"Rhewi!"  Jaz threw out her hand and ice leaped from her fingers, encasing the guard's weapon and arms. He shrieked as frostbite immediately set in and she grabbed Boreas to drag him into the nearest alley.

"You okay?" she asked even as she towed him along.

Incognus

Boreas was pulled across the street by Jasper and they ducked into a shaded alley. "I'm fine," he turned to her, "thank you. We need to keep moving." They ran together down the alley way and turned into another street. Crossing it they ducked in between two other buildings. They continued to do this trying to evade their pursuers. All that could be heard from Boreas was his labored breathing as he ran along the streets. Reaching the end of one of the allies, Boreas slowed and peeked around the corner looking for guards. "Get back!" He whispered sharply, grabbing Jasper's stomach and pushing her against the wall next to him. The guards on the street hustled by the two, unaware of their presence in the shadows.

DragonSong

Just as she was about to quip at her companion that his lack of stealth was going to get them caught, Jaz was pushed back against the wall with a soft huffing sound. She froze, waiting for their pursuers to pass, then whispered, "Good eye, kid."

Alright, so he did have some practical use outside the arena. That was more than she'd hoped for, to be honest.

"Come on, this way. I've been staying at an inn where they don't ask too many questions, we can regroup there," she murmured, glancing around before slipping through the barely-there space between two building and gesturing for him to follow her deeper into the more seedy areas of town.

Incognus

He let Jasper brush past him and looked behind them down the ally before following. "Who are you calling kid?" He asked somewhat demanding walking behind her, "You look like the one who's younger than me."

DragonSong

She snorted. "Maybe, but I'm also the one who pretty much saved your ass back there. Years in a life don't always mean years lived, ki- Boreas."

She glanced over her shoulder at him. "That's your name, right? Thought I heard them say it back there."

She stopped suddenly and waved for him to duck back into the shadows as a small group passed by the alley they were slinking down, laughing rather loudly. She wrinkled her nose as the alcohol reeking from them wafted their way.

Incognus

"Yeah, it is," he said after being pulled into the alley, "Could you tell me yours again? I wasn't really paying attention at match start." He slipped out of the alleyway after the group of people passed. "By the way, we probably don't need to hide from drunks. I highly doubt the guards will have sketched up a picture of us just yet." he smirked

DragonSong

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Maybe you don't need to, but in my experience drunken men are often more trouble than they're worth. And that fight took a bit out of me, I'd rather not have to fend off these idiots."

She darted out to cross the street once the men had passed. "I'm Jaz. Jasper, but just call me Jaz. Ah, here." She bumped a nondescript little door open with her hip. "Back doors, my best friends."

Incognus

Boreas followed Jasper through the doorway, the stench of stale beer assaulting his nose as he did so. He looked around the inn. It was on the smaller side, dimly lit with a few tables around the room, it had almost a cozy feel. The place was empty aside from two men siting and having a meal alongside a few mugs of ale. The innkeeper looked up when the two entered from behind the bar. "Hey, what are ya doin? Yer not supposed to be back here." he complained.

"Sorry sir, we thought this was the front door." Boreas and Jasper walked around to the proper side of the bar. "Do you have a room, or should we get one?" Boreas asked his companion.

DragonSong

"I've got a room, but we're not staying." She tipped her head politely to the bartender, then moved briskly to a set of stairs that led to the rooms above the small tavern.

"Alright, I'll grab my gear and we can get the fuck out of here. I plan on putting this town as far behind me as possible as quickly as possible."

Incognus

"Wait, we can't leave. Not just yet." Boreas grabbed Jaz's arm turning her around. He knew the chance was slim to none, but if she was here in the same place as him... He couldn't pass up the opportunity. Who knows when he'd be able to return.

DragonSong

Jaz hissed at being grabbed and jerked her arm away, scowling. "Why the hell not?"

Incognus

"Sorry," Boreas held up his hands apologetically, "look, I need to find someone. Its, well, its my sister. She was captured and forced into slavery with me, only she was sold separately..." Boreas hung his head. "I mean.. Its been years. And I- well I have no idea where to start. But.." He looked up at Jasper again, his eyes a little damper than before. "If she's here, and I know it's slim but if she is. I can't leave her. Gods know what her masters might have done to her..." Boreas ran his hand through his hair and looked away nervously.

DragonSong

Jaz blinked. "I-"

She looked away. Slaves. Well, that explained a few things. Her stomach roiled st the thought she huffed out a breath through her nose.

"Look, kid. Boreas. Think about this. What are the chances of her still being here? This town isn't all that big, you'd know if she was here." She raised a hand. "I'm not...I'm not saying we don't look. We just can't look here, we've got to keep moving."

It broke her heart to say it, knowing how much he must be hurting, but she shoved the feeling away. No time for that. "You've seen what I can do, yeah? Well, magic's got a lot of uses. I know a few tracking spells, I could probably find her with the right supplies." Not to mention blood, the strongest connection between two people- but she hesitated at the thought of such a spell, even with good intentions. Blood magic had a way of being seductive.

"I'll help you, alright? But we have to leave now."