Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Runaways [M]

Started by Incognus, November 10, 2016, 02:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incognus

Boreas opened his mouth but stayed silent, running his fingers through his hair again. After a couple moments he finally spoke. "alright..." he whispered almost inaudibly letting his hand drop from his head and hang at his side.

DragonSong

Trying to ignore how her heart ached at his expression, she nodded briskly and slipped into the room she'd been renting. "Right. C'mon, then, look alive. Help me throw these things together so we can get out of here quicker." She nodded to the several books and changes of clothes scatters over the bed, ducking to search under the bed for the sleeping roll and other camp supplies she'd acquired recently.

Incognus

Boreas nodded silently, beginning by gathering the various books and stacking them on the floor. "So why are you here then?" Boreas asked in hopes of distracting himself from his thoughts, "What made you fight in the arena tonight? You're obviously not a slave, and you didn't seem too familiar with those types of matches considering you thought I was a gladiator."

DragonSong

Jaz huffed at the reminder of her ignorance. "Thought I could make some coin," she muttered, tossing a pack at him. "Put those in here. It's enchanted, halves the weight of whatever goes in it."

She ran her fingers through her hair and blew out a sharp breath. "I've been in organized fights before. No one bets on the skinny little girl, so I always get good odds if I bet on myself. Figured I could do the same thing here." She shrugged.

Incognus

"Sorry to make you lose your coin," Boreas replied. He set the books nicely into the bag and started tossing her clothes in on top. "We.. may need to stop somewhere eventually," Boreas glanced at Jasper, "I don't exactly have anything that's mine. Other than what I'm wearing and my staff that is." Although I doubt we'll have the money for it

DragonSong

"It's fine." She finished packing her smaller bag and reached for the enchanted pack. "I'm not suggesting we hide in the woods forever, we just need to get out of this town. Anyone here who'll miss you? Enough to put up a reward or anything I mean."

Incognus

He paused and when Jasper said that, letting her take the bag from him. "Why do you ask?" he inquired suspiciously. Boreas turned towards her and leaned on his staff, eyeing her a little. "Does it matter if I'm worth a reward?"

DragonSong

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Lad, if I meant you harm I would've left you back at that arena. I just want to make I'm not going to have to worry about bounty hunters on my trail too."

She shouldered her packs and nodded to the door. "C'mon, and do try to be as inconspicuous as possible."

Incognus

He eyed her for a moment longer before accepting her answer. "Ok, and as for a bounty, I really don't know. I don't think I'm worth that much but I was doing pretty well in the arena," he walked to the door and grabbed the heavier pack from Jasper, putting it over his shoulder. "I suppose it depends on how much Umber thought he could make off of me." The two walked out into the hall.

DragonSong

She thought about protesting that she could carry both packs, then decided against it. It wasn't really that important.

Shaking her head as she slipped down the stairs, she muttered, "That's what I was afraid of." A sigh and she rubbed at her temples again. "We need to put this town far behind us, understand? As quickly as possible."

Incognus

Boreas responded with a half nod, leading the his companion to the front door. He cracked it open, peaking around outside for guards. "Looks clear," he said turning to Jasper, "follow me." He noticed the Innkeeper staring at the them with a quizzical look on his face. "Thanks sir!" He called with a wave before briskly walking out the door. The street was fairly empty and the sun was on its decent, casting elongated shadows on the street. Only a few hours of light left, I'm gonna have to make this quick, he thought, adjusting the strap on his shoulder before stepping onto the street.

DragonSong

Jaz only spared another quick nod for the innkeeper before hurrying after her new companion. She glanced up at the setting sun and sighed in relief.

"Good," she muttered, almost to herself. "We can travel faster by night, and it'll slow down anyone chasing us. C'mon."

She nodded to a turn up ahead. "Try not to seem like you're just beeline-ing it out of town. We can meander a bit, but keep your guard up."

Incognus

Boreas lead the way, making sure to weave in a few twists and turns down the streets and taking the opportunity to cut through back allies when he had the chance. He knew the town layout on a basic level, but only from the few times he was moved between the arena and his household. He wasn't a labor servant to Umber like he was with his previous owners, he was a fighter, and this gave him no opportunity to explore the area like he would have if he got sent out on tasks. Rounding another corner, Boreas recognized the area he was in. Looking to his left he saw the edge of town that gave way to the farmland, melting into open plains and woods farther out. He stopped for a moment and looked down the road before abruptly swiveling right and picking up his pace towards the market district.

DragonSong

Jaz was content to follow, at least until he made a sharp turn leading them away from relative safety. "Ah- I know I said to meander a bit, but we can leave you know," she pointed out mildly.

Incognus

Boreas continued on without slowing his pace. "Not yet," he responded, "This won't take long". Entering the market district, Boreas glanced around him. A few sellers were still around trying to barter off the last of their goods for the day, but most stalls were either empty or being closed up. Leading the way between the rows, Boreas saw a guard up ahead and quickly changed course, putting a stall between them as they passed. There were bound to be more guards in the market district, but he had already decided they couldn't leave without being positive Evelyn hadn't been here. Please tell me she's been here, please.

DragonSong

Jaz grumbled to herself as she followed him. "If this takes too long or we get spotted, I'm leaving your ass here," she informed him under her breath.

Incognus

Turning a corner, he found what he was looking for. "Fair enough," Boreas gave Jasper a sideways glance as they approached a raised platform about 4 feet in the air. It was connected to the side of and old and rather ominous looking building, a look that Boreas supposed suited the place due to its function. He took a quick look around the surrounding area, seeing a guard across the square and another by one of the stalls down the lane. But luckily they weren't paying the pair any attention. Grabbing Jasper's hand, he slipped behind the platform and ducked down behind it, pulling her with him. "We need to break in but not be seen. Do you know any spells that can do that?" he asked Jaz genuinely.

DragonSong

"What?" she whisper-shrieked, eyes widening. "You can't be serious- the guards are already after us and you want to break and enter? What the hell is wrong with you!?"

Incognus

"They have records Jasper!" Boreas whispered harshly "Records that might tell me if Evelyn was here and who she might have been sold to... If she was here, even for a few days, there would be records in case a dispute was brought up as to who owns her, to prove her slavery. There may be a lead," Boreas's eyes pleaded with her. "Please help me."

DragonSong

"You- I-"

She growled and clenched her eyes shut. "Gods damnit, I'm an idiot. Fine. Fine." She cupped her hands together and whispered into her cupped palms, then held her hands out to him and let them spread open to reveal a small, deep green seed pod.

"Put this is a keyhole and it'll open the door. It only works once though, so be smart. I'll keep watch."