Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Stroll Down Fascination Street (Minx)

Started by Lion, August 07, 2020, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"Thiago, we have a problem," Natanyl Anaki muttered with a grimace to the scowling barkeep at the opposite side of the counter. "You do this every time I come in."

The middle-aged Adelan wasn't in the mood for nonsense. Thankfully, neither was Natanyl. He leaned his thick sausage hands on the counter and pursed his lips at the dark elf. "What is it this time, Ashboy?"

"The brandy is watered down again," Nataynl explained. "Taste it! I paid for alcohol, not water."

Thiago snatched Nat's glass and downed the whole shot. "Hmph! Tastes fine to me. Must be something wrong with your tongue."

Natanyl glared at him while Thiago poured him another. "You know there's a reason everyone goes to the Randy Peach, you old bastard. I tell you the day Elendra and the girls close their legs, this whole place is going under. Mark my words." It was almost like a curse and Natanyl snatched his glass away from the old man, marching up the stairs.

Although no one in this establishment was as old as he was, he was sure of it. The Gold Candelabra wasn't exactly rife with excitement. But it was a quieter brothel than the Peach and it was just what he needed to get away from the long, hard road.

There were few carriages these days, not exactly an upturn in business prospects for a highway robber such as he. Natanyl would have to get more creative if he didn't want to starve to death. He was hungry for a decent night's rest, a warm meal, and a hot bed. It'd been ages since he allowed himself to stay in one place for long. And he seemed to be coming back to Ketra.

He rapped his knuckles across the door to Elendra's room. She was an old friend that was one of those 'keep 'em coming back for more' types. She did well enough for herself that she could just about buy out the Candelabra from under Thiago, who held many debts to the wrong people. But it was those debts exactly that Elendra wanted nothing to do with. She was going to open up her own shop elsewhere, or so she said.

Natanyl made sure to stay in contact so she'd let him know.

"Come in," a woman's voice called from the other side of the door. "The door's unlocked Nat."

He smiled and pushed his way inside, clicking it softly behind him. The room was softly lit, dim candles flickering in the far corners of the room. Candelabras, like the business' namesake, stood erect beside the four-poster bed on the far end, flared with gold candles and a woman appeared out from behind the partition next to it.

"Hello, darling," she greeted Natanyl.

He took another sip of the brandy, feeling the faint burn, but again, mostly just tasting water. "How are you, dear?"

"Oh much better now that you're here," she murmured. "Well don't just stand there. Come over."

She was draped in a flowy white gown that clung to her every curve. She didn't have to tell him twice. Natanyl closed the distance between them and felt her arms sweep around his shoulders. He grinned, leaning down to kiss her, slipping his arms around her waist. But when his lips made contact with hers he paused, pulling away after a few seconds.

"Wait...you don't kiss like Elendra," he said, pulling his face away, staring at what was supposed to be a familiar friend.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

minx

"No?" She grinned wide, that brief moment of confusion painted across his expression was just just as precious as gems to the wily girl. She relaxed some of her facial transformation, exposing just her natural eyes at first, the wild green and magenta colors fading into view.

"Care to see what else I don't do like Elendra?" She teased, giving the man a sly wink as she chuckled in jest, slowly withdrawing her hands away from him, but not before letting her fingertips graze the man's stubble as she turned to depart. She started to walk slowly away from him, towards the bed, as the rest of her form slowly shifted back to her natural dark-skinned self - save for the white flowing gown, which now clung to her curves as she strutted slowly away.

She crossed one leg over the other as she sat down, perched upright on the bed, letting her hands prop herself up atop the mattress, and looking back at him.

"Or the better question yet, maybe you should be asking yourself what dirty little secrets I was able to extract from the little tramp, hmm?" She tilts her head, begging the question as one eyebrow raised up, letting that possibility sink in for a moment.

Not that she had learned anything, necessarily - but oh how she loved to make him squirm under pressure at any opportunity.

Leaving that to be answered another time, before he could even get a word in, she continued on to change the topic all together.

"Listen, we need to talk business for a moment."

Lion

He wasn't drunk. There wasn't full percent of alcohol in the glass in his hand from downstairs and there was even less than that in the glass currently in hand. Natanyl Anaki wasn't swirling senselessly in the slightest. And even if he was, he still would have known something wasn't right.

When her face changed, he just frowned, genuinely disappointed that she wasn't Elendra. Instead, it was someone else he was sure he'd met only in passing. He remembered her face but not her name. She was a shape-changer of some kind, but less of the human variety and more of the monster in disguise as a treasure chest kind.

"I doubt Elendra knows any of my secrets," Natanyl calmly explained, watching her walk away and he grinned. Suddenly this was all very funny. Here she was, being awfully presumptuous that he had any idea what was going on at the moment. Let alone any given time.

"Um, forgive me, Tramp Extractor," he said, taking a seat in an armchair just across from the bed and setting the water brand on the table next to him. "But if you have a name, I do not remember it, dear. You act as if we've met before. And if we have business, that I also do not remember."

Hey, living for over two hundred years would do that to an elf, even an ex-shaman such as he.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

minx

"Soooomething tells me you will like my business enough to make it yours, though", she says, flashing him a toothy grin. "Well, our business" she says, correcting herself.

"That is, if I know you as well as I think I do. And I think I know you better than you know me."

That's when she reaches for a bit of folded up parchment she had tucked away, unfolds it, and displays the photo contained within. It is a crude sketch of a young man's facial features.

"Recognize him?"

She slides off the bed onto her feet, and walks slowly closer towards him, holding the photo front and center as she begins to explain, keeping her voice low.

"Talrick Ramthorn, of the Ramthorn House. He's gone missing. Was supposed to arrive 2 days ago with a stock of, you know, his family's signature whiskey." She stops once she is close enough to hand him the photo, if he needed to take it for a closer look.

"Found his horse and carriage just off the road. Not a single bottle was taken. Talrick?" She places a hand on her hip and shrugs.

"Nowhere to be found. But listen, this is where it gets good.... His Mother, the Matron, suspects someone from the Colt House was involved...their rivals."

She grins again, glancing once at Nat's drink in hand, and leans in close, letting her next words dance off her lips with a soft flutter. "So...do I have your attention?"

Lion

It was a common assumption. One he encountered all too often that seemed, if repeated enough, had a desire to ring true. The rarity of that truth was unsurprising. Natanyl did not divulge of his past, not to anyone. It was the only secret he'd kept true for all his years that her claim that she knew him better than he knew her left him unfazed.

By some extension it was true. He had some modicum of a reputation, regardless as to the facts that lay behind it. And reputations, as people know, preceded any forethought of that person. And in truth, Natanyl was never so presumptuous to assume he'd know anybody completely, through and through. That truth was rarely so truthful.

So he stayed quiet in her deliberation and when she brandished the sketch of a young man, he had to admit that there was some air of familiarity. He'd seen that face in passing, possibly. Perhaps in a dream of some warm summer ago. The name was one famous in circles of fine liquor. It was too bad his family's whiskey tasted like shit.

"You do," he said, crossing his legs and downing the rest of his water-brandy. "And I see you think that I had some involvement in that young man's disappearance. You've come seeking a lead, knowing where to find me, and doing what you do best: gathering information for an employer that doesn't really know if you'll be able to follow through."

He took the sketch in hand, fingers tracing along the young man's hairline. "I'm afraid I can't help you, Little Trickster. I haven't seen Talrick in ages. I might have had him for a shag or two. He's a feisty sort though. I can't imagine they took him without a struggle."  And he grinned knowingly at her, handing the slip of paper back to her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

minx

Trixie crosses her arms, glaring at Nat with eyes that could burn holes in the strongest of metal, if her gaze were able to manifest into any destructible force.

"Can't? Or won't?" She snaps, snatching the sketch from him as it's pulled sharply out of his grasp. She shakes her head, continuing to stare at the stubborn mule.

"Ohhh, I'm sorry, you came here to see your little tramp friend, huh? Listen, you can get your dick wet another time. You're Natanyl Anaki, are you not? I've heard stories of you in the bars and the streets! This could be huge!"

She pauses a moment, realizing that her voice was starting to rise and that she was getting just a little too excited. Trixie takes a moment, then continues on, this time making sure to keep her voice down, but not without maintaining a sense of urgency, evidence by the sharpness to her whispered words.

"You're telling me, that there's a possibility of foul play here, and I'm literally handing you an opportunity to maybe...just maybe, get some dirt on a noble, and you're not interested?"

She sighs and stuffs the parchment away.

"Is it coin you want? Fine, we can split the reward. Your connections would be valuable in helping me with this investigation, and my employer will not tolerate failure. They were very clear on that."

She leans in close and begins to trace her finger delicately along his drink's glass.

"Look, you would be doing me a huge favor here. I would...you know....owe you one. I can be..." she leans in close...real close, to let her breath dance off his ear, "very persuasive... and I'm very good at getting people to talk."

She leans back again, but kept relatively close distance, those wild eyes locked into his as she tilted her head.

"Whaddya say?"

Lion

She was trying just about everything to plead her case to him, but he just wouldn't bite. He had to admire her doggedness, truthfully. However, it just wasn't quite enough to move him. What good would it do if he gave into anything without a fight. He knew where he'd be still. He knew it wouldn't be here.

He smirked at her, at her attempts at being coy and pursed his lips. "Oh you're trying so hard, dear," he chuckled. That was until she got too close and the hair raised at the back of his neck. It sent chills down his spine. And not the good kind. It reminded him of bad dreams, bad memories, of a life he left behind.

Natanyl leaned forward, reaching up and pressing his hand to her cheek, whispering back. "Why would I put myself at risk for a rotten noble, in some cat and mouse game that has nothing to do with me? For a fair bit of coin? If you knew me at all, you'd have to sweeten the pot a little bit more than that."

And patted her cheek before sitting back. "Maybe start by getting me some real brandy."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

minx

"Sweeten the pot?!" Trixie shrieks, perhaps a bit too loudly. "Are you kidding me?". This was starting to become a waste of her time trying to work with this stubborn mule of a man. Was he just playing hardball just because he could, or did he have something against her? Maybe she really did put him in a bad mood with her introduction. She'll be sure to keep that in mind for future meetings.

"Okay listen, I'm not going to leave this offer on the table for much longer. So let me explain to you what I'm offering, because it doesn't sound like you fully understand the deal here."

She takes a step back, holds up her closed fist in front of him, before extending out her first digit.

"Money. I'm giving you half of the reward, because I'm considering you a partner in this."

She extends a second digit.

"Dirt. Or as I like to call it, ammunition. For blackmail, extortion, that sort of thing. Very valuable, especially when it's someone like the Colt family. But I shouldn't have to tell you that."

Finally, she extends a third digit, making her final point.

"My services, for a single job, no strings attached. " her voice softens, "or is that not good enough for you?" and she turns, and starts to strut towards the door, opens it, then pauses and turns when she's halfway over the thresh-hold, "I'll be right back with that brandy while you decide".

She slips out of the room to fetch the man his god-damn brandy from the bar below, expecting either his presence or the lack of it as his answer when she returns.

After a few moments, she knocks on the door and slowly starts to open it, but instead of returning with his single drink, she is standing there with a whole bottle and two empty glasses.