Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Much is That Doggie in the Window? [M]

Started by Zero, November 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

It felt like his fault. If Tobias had not allowed himself to go and fall in love with a woman so far out of his league...or if he had not gotten himself caught by the slavers that had ended up selling him to her...

Well, he supposed 'what ifs' weren't going to help anyone. All the werewolf could really do was handle what was. He sighed softly as they stopped at the front door but didn't go out it. This wasn't easy for Tessa, but it wasn't easy for him either. They were about to leave with no real plan of where they could even go. How was he to provide a home for her and give her all the things she needed? Honestly he had no real idea.

"Okay." What else could he say? If she wanted to leave through the gardens then they would go through the gardens.

Tobias flinched when they turned to find Della in the hall looking at them. If not for Tessa's hand pulling him along the werewolf would have found himself frozen in place by that stare. Guilt washed over him in waves. It wasn't just the Varrys he was taking Tessa from, but what other choice did he have?

It took every ounce of willpower he had to looked up at the motherly cook that had been so nice to him from the moment he'd arrived in this house. "I swear I will, and don't worry, this isn't goodbye. I'll bring her back."

He gave a nervous look behind him towards to parlor. "As soon as I can."

Tobias had no idea how long that would be, but he meant it. Tensions and tempers were too high right now, but he hoped that given a little time and space, Tessa's parents would come around. He had never wanted to take her from her family.

DragonSong

Della nodded, eyes suspiciously bright, then took Tessa by the shoulders and leaned up to press a quick kiss to her forehead. "Go on now," she said quietly. "It'll work out, Miss, you'll see."

Overcome by a rush of affection for the woman, Tessa flung her arms around her in a brief, tight hug. Swallowing a sob, she broke away and took Tobias's had again. "Not goodbye," she repeated the werewolf's sentiment, giving the cook a small, shaky sort of smile as they moved passed her.

She found herself practically glued to his side as they came out to the gardens, glancing around for Mia, the part of her mind that was still functioning logically blessing Della for thinking to send her daughter on such an errand even in the midst of this whole mess.

As if summoned by her thoughts, her maid suddenly slipped through the doors and clutching a rather threadbare travel pack- where had she even gotten that? She threw Tobias a quick look, but her attention was mostly on Tessa as she thrust the bag out. "Here. Just some things Mum thought might make this easier."

She took it, starting, "Mia-"

"Don't." The younger girl held up a hand with a wry, forced smile. "If you start, I'm gonna start crying, and then you're gonna cry and we don't have time." She turned her attention fully to Tobias now. "Get her away from here. We'll try to talk them down, but he really will call the guards- you wanna be long gone when that happens."

Tessa clung a little tighter to him at that, but she knew Mia was right. Not knowing what else to do or say, she simply murmured, "Thank you."

Zero

Tessa wasn't the only one that felt a tingle of affection for the cook. Tobias knew that it was his mate that everyone cared about and what they were doing was for her benefit, not really his, but he still felt so grateful. It truly did hurt him to take her away from this place where she was so obviously loved. At least by the help. He was sure her parents loved her too, but it was hard to see it right now because of his bitter anger at their attitude towards Tessa, and to a lesser extent to him.

"Thank you, Della. For everything." The werewolf said quietly as he guided them away towards the gardens. Leaving was hard, but they needed to go quickly, before her parents could stop them. Not that there was much they could really do to stop a determined werewolf from going where he pleased.

A sad, heavy cloud had fallen over him as they made their way out of the house. Tobias watched the two young women, wishing again that this didn't have to be this way. A look of grim determination came over his face at Mia's warning. "Thank you, Mia. I promise that I will take good care of her, and bring her back as soon as I can. This is just until everyone calms down and can be more reasonable."

Namely Erik and Nateri Varrys, but he didn't want to be antagonistic. They might have made him very angry, but they were still Tessa's parents and he knew she loved them very much even if things were not good right now.

"Come on, darling. We're gonna be fine." Tobias put a reassuring arm around Tessa and ushered her out of the garden and onto the street. He really wasn't sure where to go. The weight of everything was hanging above him, just threatening to crush him beneath it. His mate was used to a grand house and servants, and here he didn't even have a home to provide her.

The first order of business was to find a temple or church. Tobias didn't even care which one or to what deity it was pledged to. Thankfully he was able to find one quickly and paused outside it to look nervously down at the woman he loved. "Tessa...are you sure this is what you want? Everything has been thrown into chaos and I feel like it is all my fault. If you marry me...I can't give you what you had. I'm not a man of means, but I promise I will make sure you have everything you need. I just need a little time..."

Gods, what if she wanted to go back? He didn't think he could stop her, but they would never let him back into their home and without her...

DragonSong

"What?" It took a moment for Tessa to actually process what he was saying. She felt quite adrift, her mind disconnected from what was happening around her. When his words registered her eyes widened and she snapped her head up to scrutinize his face.

"What are you- of course I'm sure," she told him, voice soft but steely. Not caring that they were in the middle of the street, she reached up to cup his face in her hands. "Tobias Slate, you listen to me right now," she said, her tone almost dangerous. "I don't want money. I don't need a big house and servants and- and all that other nonsense. We can live in a tent for all I care. As long as I'm with you."

She let her hands drop to circle her arms around his waist, pressing herself against his chest. "I know this isn't going to be easy," she mumbled. "But I don't need all that, everything back there. I just need you."

She meant the words with all her heart, and she desperately hoped he wouldn't suddenly change his mind, decide she'd be better of after all if he left her with her parents. An illogical and tiny fear, but somehow it was there all the same. She clung tighter to him.

Zero

There was a very brief temptation for him to point out that he didn't even have so much as a tent, but Tobias swallowed whatever he was going to say as he looked down into those beautiful silver eyes he'd fallen in love with. Funny how her eyes were silver, so dangerous a thing for him, and yet he loved them.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, pulling her closer as he lowered his head to rest against hers lightly. "I didn't meant to suggest that you needed those things. It would have killed me to send you back, but I love you too much to do something that will make you unhappy. I don't want to have pushed you into this. This decision to leave with me is just so important and life changing. I had to ask, had to be sure you were ready."

Tobias stepped back and gestured at the building as he took her hand in his again as he got down on one knee and gave her a slightly lopsided smile. "Last time I'm gonna ask, I promise. Tessa Varrys, will you marry me?"

DragonSong

He was actually down on his knee. Tess blinked, feeling a ridiculous welling of tears start up. She knew this was hardly some grand romantic novel, but gods be damned if it didn't feel like this- this one moment- was just a little bit fairytale-perfect.

"Yes," she said softly, kneeling herself and paying no mind to her skirt. "Yes, I will." She leaned forward to kiss his cheek, then pulled back and smiled. "I suppose that means we should actually find a church then." It was meant to be teasing but her voice was a little too raw to quite manage it.

Impulsively she wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing another kiss to his cheek as she blinked away a few stray tears. "I love you, Toby," she murmured. Because right then, it was the only thing in the world that mattered to her.

Zero

Tobias immediately wrapped his arms around Tessa when she knelt, holding her gently. It was probably silly, but he had wanted to propose to her properly. He couldn't give her a proper wedding with her family and friends, but he could at least do that much for her. She deserved so much more, but he had to make do with what was possible.

"I love you too, Tessa." The werewolf gestured up to the nearby building, it was a simple temple, but it would do. Tobias would certainly never forget it after today. "We're already here. Let's go get married."

He stood up, bringing Tessa up with him. As much as it felt rushed, Tobias couldn't be happier to know that he was going to marry her. Of course they wouldn't have to rush quite this much if her parents had only been more understanding. Now the wolf was urging him to hurry and claim her so that humans would know that she was his mate and they couldn't take her from him.

Smiling nervously, he took her hand and tried to walk confidently up the steps and inside. It was empty save for an elderly priest and a few younger attendants sweeping and cleaning. Tobias cleared his throat. "Excuse us, but we'd like to be married. Right away."

DragonSong

She nodded as he stood, pulling her to her feet. She gave him a smile in return when he took her hand and squeezed lightly. Up the steps and into the temple they went, and she pressed closer to his side when he addressed the few people in the building.

The attendants stopped what they were doing to give them curious looks, and Tessa offered a small, maybe a little sheepish smile. She knew they probably looked rushed and perhaps a little desperate- but she really didn't care.

Zero

Tobias was still attempting to act as if what they were doing was perfectly normal and not as if they were desperately attempting to outrun something. Perhaps outrun Tessa's father to the guards. After all, once they were married what legal grounds did her father have to separate them?

"Married? Such a ceremony is usually planned a little in advance. Do you have your own witnesses? Rings? Vows?" The priest's eyes crinkled at the edges as he smiled at them in a somewhat knowing way.

The werewolf shuffled slightly, suddenly looking sheepish. "We haven't prepared any of that. I'm sorry, but we're eloping and in a slight hurry."

"I see. I see." The old man gestured to his young attendants and they all gathered up near the alter. "I will have my alter boys serve as witnesses. Rings aren't really necessary, and neither are personalized vows. Come forward then. I'll get this ready."

The priest gathered up some papers and cleared his throat as he got a quill. "Full names and countries of birth."

"Tobias Slate, Adela." The priest wrote the information down on the groom's section of the certificate then looked up at Tessa expectantly with a fatherly smile.

DragonSong

Tessa blushed a bit at the priest's knowing look. At least he didn't seem to be condemning them for eloping. In fact, he was being quite helpful. A bit of the tension left her.

Her eyes flicked over the papers he gathered, her father's daughter despite herself. It all looked in order to her, which was one weight lifted. All they needed now was some minor mix up in the marriage licence.

Marriage. They were getting married. This was really happening. A slightly giddy feeling taking up residence in her stomach, it took her a moment to reply, "Celestia Rose Varrys, Adela." She returned the priest's smile a little shyly.

Zero

The information was jotted down under the bride's section of the certificate and then the priest entered his own information into the officiating section. After that was done he copied everything onto two additional copies of the document.

"Very good, now let us begin." He said cheerily, "Face each other and join hands, please."

Tobias turned nervously and grabbed up Tessa's hands, squeezing them lightly and giving her the best smile that he could. Nothing else mattered, not the fight with her parents, not the fact that they were essentially homeless at the moment, nothing except her.

"Will you, Tobias, promise to love this woman, Celestia? Will you promise to care for her, respect her, and provide for her and her children, from this day forward, until your last?"

"I will." He let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Tobias's chest felt tight with emotion. There was no part of him that didn't want to do just that. The priest turned his attention to Tessa with a reassuring smile.

"Will you, Celestia, promise to love this man, Tobias? Will you promise to support him, respect him, and care for him and his children, from this day forward, until your last?"

DragonSong

Tessa gave Tobias a smile of her own in return, trying to soothe him without words. She could feel his tension- it was reflected in herself- but somehow knowing he was nervous made her feel a little bolder. She could be strong for him.

She let her thumbs trace small circles over the backs of his hands, beaming as he made his vow.

"I will," she said in turn, her eyes never leaving his for a moment. From this day forward until my last. I will.

Zero

"Before the Gods I pronounce you Man and Wife. Kiss your bride." The priest said solemnly.

Tobias still felt as if he couldn't breathe. His heart was thundering in his chest as he brought a hand up to cup Tessa's cheek gently before he leaned down to press a soft, loving kiss to her lips. They were married? It didn't seem real.

While the two newlyweds were busy with that, the alter boys came forward and signed each copy of the certificate. Once they had the priest cleared his throat with a smile. "If the two of you will sign each copy, please."

The werewolf blushed deeply as he raised his head, looking sheepishly over at the papers being pushed in front of them. A moment of panic seized him. He had to sign something?

"Any mark or scribble will do, son." The priest assured him quietly, obviously recognizing the sudden fear on his face. Nodding, Tobias took the quill and made an unreadable scribble on each paper where the priest pointed before offering the pen to Tessa.

DragonSong

Only the knowledge that they had an audience kept Tessa from throwing her arms around Tobias, forcing herself to be content with wrapping her hands around his neck and leaning into the kiss. One simple kiss, and they were married. Her heart leaped giddily into her throat as she kissed her husband.

Her husband.

The sound of the priest clearing his throat brought her back to the present and she flushed, but she couldn't seem to stop smiling.

Her eyes snapped to Tobias when he hesitated and realization dawned. Immediate guilt began to niggle in the back of her mind- no wonder he'd seemed a little skittish when she'd mentioned her books. She'd just assumed...

Biting her lip, she took the quill and signed her name on each certificate. She'd been taught to create a rather showing signature, and she did it now out of habit.

"Thank you, Father," she murmured when she moved to hand the quill back to the priest, giving him a small smile. Her other hand sought out Tobias's, squeezing gently.

Zero

The old man smiled at them again as he gathered up the now signed papers. He handed one copy to one of the boys. "File this under Slate in our records, please."

He handed the second copy to another of the boys. "Please take this to the local clerk's office for filing."

Both boys left, and he finally turned to them again and offered the last copy to Tobias with a grin and twinkle in his eye. "This one is for you two. Ah, to be young and in love again. Congratulations, and good luck."

Tobias smiled as he took the certificate carefully, feeling tension leaving him. They were married. It was official and done. Nothing Erik Varrys did now could change the fact that by law Tessa was his wife and they belonged together. Well he supposed the man could try to have it annulled, but neither he nor Tessa would ever consent or sign papers to do that. "Thank you, Father."

Turning to his wife, he stooped down enough to give her another very quick peck on the lips. He'd have loved to do little other than hold and kiss her forever, but sadly they just didn't have that kind of time right now.

"We have to go." He told her seriously, though he couldn't quite wipe the grin from his lips. Holding fast to her hand he ushered her out of the little temple. He still wasn't sure where exactly the could or should go. "Should we go where I grew up? People still remember my family, I'm sure they would help us get settled into a new life...but so would Mable, if we went to her, I think."

DragonSong

Everything started happening very quickly, and the next thing she knew they were back out on the street. And married. They were married. That particular fact was taking a while to truly sink in.

"I'd like to see where you grew up," Tessa said softly, smiling up at him. She knew they really did need to go, quickly, but she couldn't help being happy. A whole mess of other emotions were there too, but she decided to focus on happy.

"We can do all those things you talked about. Fishing, catching fireflies..." she mused, bringing his hand up to press a quick kiss to his knuckles. She wished she could do more but they really didn't have the time. Plus they were standing in the middle of the street.

Gripping his hand tightly, she gave him the best smile she could, anxiety and excitement and sheer joy blending into a giddy whirl in her stomach. "Let's go."

Zero

An expression of pure, unadulterated love came over the werewolf's face as Tessa brushed her lips against his knuckles. Tobias couldn't contain just how happy he was in that moment. Things weren't perfect, hell, that morning had been a disaster, but nothing mattered but the fact that he had just married his beautiful mate and they were already making plans for a new life together.

"I would like that a lot, Tessa." He returned the squeeze she gave his hand before leading her further down the street. It was hard to think past the giddy excitement that twisted his stomach up in knots, but they needed more of a plan than simply a destination.

"Did they put any money in that pack? What about food? We might have to buy some supplies for the trip. It'll take a few days to get there." Tobias immediately felt guilty for having to ask. It only served to remind him that he had nothing at all to his name except for Tessa. Her parents would probably have loved to see him having to rely on their daughter already - it would have only proved their point that he was worthless.

DragonSong

"Well, let's see." Tessa slipped the pack around to hold it in front of her chest and untied the cinch at the top. "I can't imagine..." Her voice trailed off when she saw the coin purse tucked next to a few wrapped bundles, a note perched on top.

Fishing out the purse and the note, she unfolded the slip of paper and read aloud, softly, what was written in Mia's hurried writing: "It's all your money, don't worry, you don't owe us anything. You're not as sneaky as you think you are- I got it from your secret stash in the library." Underneath the message the girl had scrawled her name in a sloppy heart.

Tessa smiled, folding the note back up and holding the purse out to Tobias. "We don't need to worry about money, not for a few weeks at least, if we're careful." She took his hand again, pressing close to his side. "A few days' worth of supplies then..."

Blushing, and feeling suddenly rather useless, she looked up at him and bit her lip. "I'm not sure what we need, or where to go to get it."

Zero

Tobias nodded when she said they wouldn't have to worry about money for a few weeks if they were careful. His mind was already turning to consider the most practical items they might need. A few days worth of food would be good to have, but if push came to shove he could hunt their meat and he knew how to forage wild roots, vegetables, and fruits.

That would take up a lot of time and delay their arrival in their new home. The sooner they got there the sooner they could begin to settle and the sooner he could actually prove his worth as a man that could provide for his mate even without money.

"I know what we need, come on my sweet wife." He grinned and blushed a little just being able to call her that. One simple little word felt so amazing as it rolled off his tongue. Taking up her hand he lead her towards a simple marketplace that would have very practical, and inexpensive, supplies for them.

"I do want to get food, because once we get there I can hunt and fish to sustain us, plus we could have a little garden, but it will be quicker if we don't have to do that on the road. Flint and steel is good for starting fires, we'll want that for campfires at night and to light the hearth at the old house. I need a hunting knife so that I can properly process what I kill, and a pan and pot for cooking. Those can wait until we get there, but they'll be easier to find in the city." He frowned slightly thinking about how they really did have to start with practically nothing.

DragonSong

Tessa beamed and blushed for the endearment, slipping her arm through his as he lead them along. "Okay," she murmured, nodding as she ran his list through her mind. "Um...do you think this will do?"

She rummaged through the little coin purse and pulled out a few pieces, looking up at him and holding the money out for him to judge the amount. She may be rather naive about a lot of things, but as Erik Varrys's daughter she was pretty decent at judging prices.

Leaning into his side a bit, she let out a sharp breath and bit her lip. "We're really doing this," she murmured, closing her fingers around the coins. "I mean- this is really happening."