Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What I've done.

Started by Rhindeer, March 29, 2011, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Sitting beneath an old, leafy tree, Nakaris leaned his head back against the rough bark and let himself relax, staring up at the blue sky through the gaps in the leaves. It was the first time in days that he felt comfortable enough, safe enough, to really do that. To relax, to stay in one place and let himself think, to leave himself vulnerable and not have to worry that he was.

Wasn't like he had much of a choice, anyway; he'd been running on little to no sleep for the past few days: a few minutes here, an hour there, and who knew what it all amounted to? He hadn't been counting. And while he didn't feel ready to sleep yet, as sleep brought nightmares, he knew he couldn't hold out for much longer and he definitely didn't have the energy to run anymore.

He was just relieved he'd made it here.

He'd heard about Sanctuary over the course of his travels, and though he didn't remember where, he did know it was the one place that could help him. The healers here couldn't heal him, but that wasn't what he needed, anyway.

Peace, safety, a place free of judgment and questions. That's what he needed. Everything else? He didn't have anything more with him but the clothes on his back, but that was enough.

Letting his eyes drift shut, he took a deep breath and began to pray.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

SHIT!

This was not her day! It had started well enough, an easy night with one of her nicer clients, a female noble with a quick wit and a pretty smile. A lovely breakfast with the cute redheaded bouncer and then she wanted to stop by Sanctuary, offer thanks that her brother had been returned to her.

And ever since she stepped out of the city walls, things had gone badly. Well, one thing, but it was going very badly. Racing down the path, Nadia had her skirts hiked up, giving her long legs room to run. She glanced behind her, and the sheep was still there.

Some IDIOT Shepard had left his flock while praying and one of them had gotten away and was chasing after Nadia. She hadn't meant to piss it off, but whatever she had done had made the thing furious.

Too busy watching the sheep, Nadia didn't notice the man resting against the tree and her foot hit his legs and she went down with a shriek, landing heavily on her hip and elbow.

Rhindeer

The sounds of pounding feet and angry grunting cut through the serenity and Nakaris's eyes snapped open--just in time for something to hit his legs, followed by a feminine shriek. For a second, Nakaris just stared in wide-eyed alarm at the woman at his feet, heart pounding as the irrational urge to fight or flee kicked in even as he fought it back down. What the...? He'd been praying for guidance or a sign or something, but this...?

Then he spotted the angry sheep barreling toward them.

If this was a sign, it was a sign that the gods were fucking with him after all.

"Shit!" Scrambling to his feet, he put himself between the woman and the sheep and tried to remember how the fuck you handled angry livestock. That had always been his brother's specialty. Animals and Nakaris, though? Never really saw eye to eye. But this? This was a fucking sheep.

One-hundred fifty pounds of fluffy, angry beast.

Fuck, this was ridiculous.

Nakaris spread his arms wide and tried to make himself look bigger. "Hey! Hey, you, uh...sheep-fucker. Back off! Go on! Scat! Shoo!" he shouted as the thing stamped its hoof.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

The fall stunned Nadia for a moment and it took her a second to get her breath back. By the time she had scrambled to her feet, the man she had tripped over had already gotten between her and the charging...sheep.

That really was just the worst part of all this. She was being menaced by dinner. Yet somehow, that didn't make the damn thing any less scary. Gripping the back of the man's shirt, Nadia peered around him, "That's right! You heard him! Go away!"

Nakaris managed to stop the sheep from charging, but it wasn't leaving. Pawing at the ground, the sheep made a loud baa, which a small part of Nadia's brain found oddly humorous.

Rhindeer

This was one fuckin' stubborn sheep. Glancing over his shoulder at Nadia, Nakaris began to back them both away from it. "Th' hell'd ya do to piss it off?" he whispered to her, not wanting to do anything that would trigger a charge. "It musta come a long way jus' ta follow ya here."

Behind him, he caught sight of a gazebo and started to guide them toward it. Not the best option, but the sheep wasn't following them so maybe if they just chilled in there, let it calm down, it would leave.

Anonymous

"I don't know!" Nadia's voice was a low hiss, letting Nakaris nudge her along. Glancing behind her she spotted the Gazebo and realized where the man was headed. Still watching the sheep, Nadia made sure to keep a tight grip on Nakaris. If it charged, Nadia was making damned sure it was going through him first.

"I was just walking along and it attacked! I think it might be possessed or mad!"

Rhindeer

"...A possessed sheep?"

That was a first.

"Alright, then. Well, yer possessed sheep sure seems ta wantcha bad. Sure ya didn't do nothin'? These things're hardly random."

They were near the gazebo now, and Nakaris gave the girl a nudge before turning his attention back to the sheep that was...now grazing. The hell? Ah, whatever! There had to be groundskeepers or something that would come to handle it. It weren't his problem. "Get in there."

Anonymous

"It could be!" Nadia snapped at the man, her dark skin warm with embarrassment, "Look at it! It's obviously crazed..." She trailed off, pointing at the now placidly eating creature.

Huffing, she dropped her hand and tried to repair some of the damage done to her appearance, "Well, alright, so now he's fine. You have to agree that earlier he was quite aggressive."

Taking a calming breath, she gave the man her best working smile, "Thank you. For that rescue. I'm Nadia. May I ask my heroes name?"

Rhindeer

"Most aggressive sheep I ever seen," Nakaris agreed, and leaned against the side of the gazebo and offering her a wry smile. "Anyhow, I'm Nakaris. So...ya in th' habit of pissin' off farm animals or is this a new thing fer ya? 'Cause rescuin' damsels from sheep...well, tha's a new one fer me."

Anonymous

Nadia wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or not and chose to not comment. No point in being rude to the man that rescued her. She settled against the rail of the Gazebo, hip pressing against it, "Nakaris." Nadia rolled the odd name across her tongue, "That's an interesting name, not one I've heard before. It has a nice sound."

Nadia watched the sheep for a moment, letting the adrenaline drain away, "Do you often rescue damsels? I have to admit, that is the first time I've ever been rescued from wild sheep."

Rhindeer

"No, yer...kinda th' first I've rescued since I can remember," Nakaris answered, glancing up thoughtfully and absently scratching his cheek. He looked back at her and flashed her a grin. "But if they're all pretty as ya, I might hafta make it a habit. Scary-ass sheep or no."

Anonymous

"Ah, and flattery too. You do know the way to a woman's heart." Nadia gave a short laugh, liking the man immensely. He had not only saved her from a rabid sheep, he thought she was pretty. And Nadia had a soft spot for anyone that thought she was pretty.

"Well, you seem to have a natural talent for it. Very heroic, the way you...ran from the sheep."

Rhindeer

"Hey now, I didn't run from no sheep. I shielded ya, remember? Woulda fought th' bastard off, too, if it got any crazy ideas," Nakaris corrected with a grin. "I've taken on bigger shit, anyhow. That was nothin'. It was pretty obvious it wasn't gonna do no harm once ya just stood yer ground."

Anonymous

"Oh yes. Of course." Nadia nodded her head, a smile playing at her lips, "You were all set to leap into battle. Was it me holding you back?"

She gave a small laugh, a little low for most woman, "But, really. Thank you. I'm not really all that sure I can take on a sheep all by myself. So your heroics are appreciated."

Rhindeer

"Most people can't. They're all...stronger than they look," Nakaris said with a laugh. Okay, even he had to admit, he was starting to sound ridiculous. But then, this entire situation was pretty bizarre.

"Anyway," he said, changing the subject. "Were ya on your way here or was that just a detour?"

Anonymous

"I was on my way here. I was going to offer some thanks, but I'm starting to think that the spirits really didn't want it. They sent a sheep at me to keep me away." Nadia shook her head, then reached up, trying to fix a small, thin braid that had come loose from her hairstyle.

"And you? I think I recall tripping over you. What brought you out here?"

Rhindeer

"Well...startin' to think th' same, actually," Nakaris said with a wry grin. "Came here to do a little thinkin' an' they sent a sheep and a girl. Think it's probably safe to say we ain't neither of us gonna accomplish what we came here for, eh?"

He gave a glance out toward the sheep, which was still showing no signs of its earlier psychosis. Looking back to Nadia, he gave a little shrug. "Guess ya could still offer thanks, though. I mean, maybe th' spirits sent me to make sure ya wouldn't get ate."

Anonymous

"Ooooh. I like that." Nadia gave a short laugh, "My own divine sent hero to protect me. Careful, you just might turn a girl's head with talk like that."

She glanced over at the sheep, still eating placidly, "Well, do you think it's safe to try and make it to the shrine?"

Rhindeer

"Then why on earth'd I wanna be careful?"

Didn't sound like a bad theory, anyway. After all, since when were sheep aggressive? He sure as hell had never encountered something like this ever so if this wasn't fate, he didn't know what was. What it meant, though, and why? Eh, if it came to him, it came to him. Nakaris figured there was no point in trying to analyze it. He wasn't good at that shit, anyway.

Glancing out at the sheep, Nakaris shrugged one shoulder. "Can't hurt to make a run fer it," he said, then grinned. "'Sides, I'll protect ya."

Anonymous

Nadia reached over and wrapped an arm around Nakaris, pressing close and smiling up at him, almost unconsciously treating him like a customer, to be flattered and praised, "And you did handle him so well last time. I have utter faith in your fighting prowess."

Stepping off the gazebo, Nadia watched the sheep carefully. It lifted its head, stared at them a moment, then went back to chewing grass.

Tags: