Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Fire

Started by kleineklementine, June 23, 2014, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Zahi couldn't have been less smug. Disdainful, maybe, of the junkie's dealings, but not smug. The situation, she knew, was deadly serious; and so was she. She was leaning heavily against the wall, her eyes fixed on the beaten detective. If it came to a fight now, she'd give them fifty-fifty odds either way. And those weren't really odds she liked to bet on.

She didn't dignify the Branwich comment with a reply. He should know as well as her that small-time drug pushers were hardly 'friends' with a major operation like the Wolves. In fact, her only interactions with Branwich had been to rough him up. But it was a distraction, and there was no point to give it attention now.

"I don't kill when I don't have to,"  Zahi said gravely, not that he'd believe her. "And I never kill on a whim. I'm offering you a deal. You want my help? You want my information? Then take it. Otherwise, go ahead and take me to your Queen's guard. That is who you work for, isn't it?"

Cambie

The detective spat up some more blood to the side, tasting that copperish tone in his mouth. He felt parched, but likely that was just from his cracked lip. Funny how the mind played tricks on you when you weren't well, weren't whole.

"I have an idea about who set you up," he said finally, warily struggling back to his feet. Turning away, he went straight for the small vial of Ash he'd left on the table. For a moment he considered taking a hit right there, but then pocketed it within his large coat. He'd take some more once he made sure Branwich was dead in his cell.

"Just an idea."

kleineklementine

The detective's words did not cause Zahi to relax at all. She didn't move from where she was leaning against the wall of the flop house, but her eyes followed him with fierce interest. Bastian, of course, had been saying nothing but that he knew who set her up. Zahi wasn't sure if he was changing course as a tacit agreement to working with her - if it could be called that - or if he was leading her back to indicting Rufus, or the Wolves at large. Or he could be outright lying.

"I'm listening," she said, watching him snatch up the bottle of Ash and hide it away. Of course that's the first thing he would go for after the beating. It was probably the most important thing in his life.

And it struck Zahi again that her best bet right now - her only bet - was a washed-up junkie.

Cambie

He stared intently at her for a moment, as if sizing up his options and choosing his words carefully. The gaze was piercing and unmoving -- or at least it appeared that way, given how one of those orbs was glassy and lifeless.

"You Soots," he began before coughing out some more blood. Irritably, he spat it off to the side and wiped his mouth with a dirty sleeve. The more time he spent in this rathole, the more he fucking hated it. No, he'd leave this safe house as soon as he secured the Red Jackal, and had her marching out with him. Preferably in front, where he could keep an eye on her and her tricks.

"You Soots, you're not secure at all," he croaked, eyes narrowing as he glanced to the door. "Top to bottom, a cesspool rampant with disloyalty. Some of your 'finest' don't even work for the Soots. No, they're paid by and loyal to someone else."

"It's always some old man, or a beggar, or a little poor child, but they're never themselves. Something... occupies them, like vessels. But whoever they are, they used your own Soots against you."

He said no more, for there wasn't anything else that needed to be said. The Arca underground was a place of revolving powers, and it was hard to keep track of all the players. If the Red Jackal knew of whom he spoke, then she knew more than him.