Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"No, I do not think most do have the chance. It will be a nice trip, try not to think about the business side of it overly much. First and foremost you are going as my guest and friend." Keiran smiled reassuringly at the colorful young woman sitting beside him.

"Ah, that." He let out a soft sigh, knowing he should not have said that. It was a family affair, but Lyssa was not of the society elite that would take any scrap of rumor or knowledge she could to try to gain an advantage so talking about it with her was not really much of a problem. Unless of course she repeated any of it to the wrong person. "You must not think too hard on it, and do not repeat it. I was surprised when word was sent of the engagement, because the woman is a girl I have known since we were children. She was a circus performer of a sort, not of noble blood at all! Apparently she has gained some favor with a High Lady who was adamant about arranging a match to my brother. Father is unhappy because as his eldest son, Conrad's marriage should have been a great opportunity, financially and socially, to further and strengthen our position. It is not at all what father would have chosen or planned."

Keiran frowned and looked pensively at the book in his lap. Lord Fairhall had probably tried to deflect the match to him. A second son having a less than ideal marriage was not as large a blow to the family. He was not sure how he felt about it, to be honest.

"Once Conrad is wed there will be no reason for father not to begin making arrangements for my own marriage. He will be sure to gain as advantageous a match as possible to make up for this less ideal one." The young lord was not sure how to feel about that either. To marry a young lady of prestige was his duty to his house, and though he had known this all his life and thought to have made peace with it, he felt uneasy about the prospect now that it was looming before him so clearly and so close to reality.

DragonSong

"Oh. I...see." Lyssa dropped her eyes and began tickling absently at the two tiny dragons tucked against her body. Both were drowsy, the motion of the carriage and warmth of her body lulling them to sleep.

Before she could stop herself, the words were out of her mouth: "You really can't marry for love?"

The second the words were out she snapped her mouth shut, eyes going wide. Almost frantically she snapped straight upright and babbled, "I'm so sorry, that was incredibly inappropriate-- oh gods, please just forget I said anything, is that okay? Oh no. I mean, I-I did say it but I didn't mean it-- okay I did mean it but you don't have to answer--!"

Zero

Keiran's eyebrows immediately shot up at the question. It was a very personal question, but also one he couldn't blame her for asking. People from her social station didn't marry in the same way. If he was correct, marrying for love was quite common among lower class people. Property and inheritances were much less of a concern in those types of unions.

"It is alright, Miss Lyssa, please calm down. I am not offended. Curiosity is a good thing." He smiled faintly at her, trying to be reassuring. The last thing Keiran wanted was to make her uncomfortable.

"Marrying for love is very uncommon for nobility. There are a great many factors involved in choosing an acceptable spouse. When I marry there is a great deal more to take into consideration than when a farmer and a baker marry, for example. It is in my family's best interest that I marry a girl of similar social and financial standing so that we may all benefit from the union in some way. Perhaps it seems a cold way of doing things, but that is simply the way things are done for us. Love is an afterthought, unfortunately. All I have ever hoped is that I would be able to get along amicably with my future wife, whoever she may be." Perhaps it was a sad thought, but it was all Keiran had.

DragonSong

Lyssa continued looking down, stroking her new pets' heads absently while they slept. "I...I understand," she said quietly after a moment.

She glanced out the window, then said suddenly, "My parents are mages-- I think I've told you that? Both of them. And my mother is--was--of noble birth." She smiled slightly, still looking out at the passing vista. "They met at school, in Arca, actually. Mama used to talk about it all the time. She said Papa wasn't from a particularly wealthy or well-known family, but he was talented enough to enter school on a scholarship."

She glanced down at the dragons again, soft smile still in place. "I guess I never really thought about... I never met my maternal grandparents, y'know? They disowned her before I was even born, just for marrying the man she loved..."

Zero

Keiran was certainly taken aback at this revelation. Yes, he recalled that Lyssa had mentioned that her parents were mages, but learning her mother had come from a noble family was definitely a surprise. What wasn't a surprise was hearing that the woman had been punished with disownment for her crime of loving an "undesirable" suitor and marrying him.

"A most unfortunate and sad reality for your mother. I am not surprised to hear they disowned her for marrying someone they did not approve. I am sorry your family had to go through that." He truly was. Just because Keiran understood, and on the surface accepted, that this was simply the way things were done did not mean he was thrilled about it. What would his life be like if he could entertain the idea of having a future with a woman he truly loved?

That seemed so benign a thing to contemplate and yet it was completely unthinkable...

DragonSong

"I don't know." Lyssa smiled, the teal of her cheeks deepening to a grassy green. "I think she's...really happy with her choice. I know sometimes she misses her family, and I know Papa wishes he could give her a bigger house, or maybe some of the other things she grew up with... But she's happy."

The makeshift pouch across her chest wriggled, effectively distracting her. "Oh! Someone's awake," she chuckled, reaching into the pouch to let the tiny dragons sniff her fingers. The more adventurous one, the smaller of the two, climbed up onto her hand and cheaped happily, looking around.

Zero

"Oh! Yes, I did not mean to imply she was not happy with choosing your father, only that it was unfortunate and sad that her family cast her out because of it." A slight blush came to Keiran's cheeks as he realized what he had said and how it might have sounded or seemed. That had not been his intent. He could find sympathy for Lyssa's mother and the difficulty of her choice. It must have taken a lot of courage to choose love over family.

Thankfully a tiny dragon provided a much needed distraction and change of topic. "He seems a curious and brave little fellow. Or she does. I truly am pleased to have the chance to see such creatures in person."

DragonSong

"He," Lyssa confirmed with another quick smile. "They're both males. Brothers. I think my mother was afraid if she got me an unrelated male and female they'd start breeding once they reached maturity," she chuckled quietly.

The little dragon chirped and climbed up onto her shoulder, rearing up on his hind legs and beating his feathery wings to keep his balance as he peered out the window curiously.

"I still have to name them," the librarian noted as the second dragon crawled up into her palm, yawning adorably.

Zero

"A reasonable concern to have when you have a male and female of most species." Although the small dragons were quite valuable, so a breeding pair would produce very valuable offspring. Keiran sincerely doubted that profit had been on anyone's mind when the decision was made to purchase the teacup creatures.

"Ah, yes, names are quite important. Did you have any ideas yet? I am sure you will give them both fine names." He smiled as he watched the yawning beast.

DragonSong

"Well..." she mused aloud, lifting her hands so she could bring the tiny creature closer to her face and kiss the top of his head. The teacup dragon sneezed, a tiny smattering of blue and green sparks flaring from his nostrils, and she chuckled. "I was thinking something like Viren for that one--" she nodded to the dragon still looking out the window, blushing a bit as she added, "It's the surname of one of my favorite authors. They explored everywhere on the mainland, wrote heaps of journals about it. For this one..."

She looked down at the dragon she held, staring into large teal eyes. A small smile twisted at her lips. "What about Teve?" she mused, stroking his head and smiling wider as he began to purr, pressing up into her touch.

Zero

"I think those are brilliant and lovely names. How clever to use authors to name them." Keiran couldn't help but flash a bright smile at the names she thought about giving to the dragons, and he could not approve more strongly of her choice in naming conventions.

"Viren and Teve, what wonderful adventures they will have. I am sure to their little selves any trip out the door will seem a grand journey." He hoped so. They would have a good life, with such an attentive caretaker to love and nurture them.

DragonSong

Lyssa grinned, big and bright and blushing. "Alright then. Viren and Teve it is." She patted their little heads, then shifted to the side slightly and settled them just beside her, shifting her bag by her legs so that it offered a step down onto the floor of the carriage if the little creatures wanted to explore.

For now though, they seemed content to sniff about the carriage seat beside her, chirping and batting at each other playfully. "They certainly seem to be enjoying this first adventure," Lyssa chuckled as she glanced back up at Keiran.

Quite abruptly, she found herself unable to meet his eyes. It was silly, she knew, but something about his approval— even in something as small as this— lit a warm glow in her chest that made her feel flushed and nervous. She dropped her gaze down to her lap, fiddling absently with the purse resting against her hip until she'd managed to pull out pen and paper.

Zero

"That is a most promising sign." Observing them, the tiny dragons did seem quite at ease. That was good. The last thing Keiran wanted was for the small creatures to be uncomfortable or unhappy. He was even more concerned with Lyssa's enjoyment of the trip. Would she like his home? Could she be happy living there for a time in the future?

She was blushing again, and fidgeting with her bag. Keiran noticed that she blushed often in his presence. Some people were quick to blush.

"I hope you enjoy our little adventure as well." He cleared his throat and glanced down at her out of the corner of his eye. Keiran had no idea that his own face was quick to redden when in the presence of the kindly librarian.

DragonSong

"Oh, I'm quite sure I will!" she hastened to assure him, glancing up with a small but genuine smile. "I'm already enjoying myself immensely. Your kirin is gorgeous, did I already say?"

She couldn't remember if she'd voiced her admiration of the creature when she first got into the carriage. Still smiling, she dropped her eyes again and seemed to doodle absently on her bit of paper for a few moments, drawing a sort of spiral with a looping tail at it's end. Into the tail, she scrawled in that same looping style the word yarn.

The moment she lifted her pen, the drawing-word lifted from the page, twisting and shimmering in the air until it solidified into a smallish ball of sky blue yarn. She caught it easily in one hand as it fell and tossed it toward the two little dragons, who set about pouncing and pawing at it with great aplomb.

"Do you use kirin for lots of things, back home?" Lyssa asked, looking back to Keiran. "I mean...well, do you ride them like horses and such?"

Zero

"You did not say it to me. Thank you, he is one of the prides of my family's stables." Keiran smiled quite proudly at the compliment to his mount. He was endlessly fond of the mystical beast that had been his faithful companion for several years.

It was fascinating for him to watch Lyssa doodle on the paper and produce an actual ball of yarn simply by drawing a squiggly ball and writing the word. An outrageously marvelous and dangerous magical gift, depending on how it was used. In the wrong hands the young woman beside him could be compelled to do terrible things with her abilities. Still, he smiled as he watched the little dragons play with their new toy.

"Oh yes, they make terrific mounts. Horses are quite intelligent animals, but they are not nearly as clever as the kirin. Romulus is extremely loyal to me. I have cared for him several years now, and he serves as my mount in exchange." The animal was clearly very dear to him.

DragonSong

Lyssa sighed a little wistfully, her eyes a little distant. "That sounds wonderful," she murmured. Watching the two teacup dragons play with their new toy, she continued almost absently, "I've always loved animals-- I guess you know that, you saw me feeding the strays behind the library. But we could never have horses where I lived as a girl, and a creature like a kirin..."

She shook her head and smiled at him. "A bond like that...it just sounds incredible. To be able to trust another creature so much, to build a relationship across species based on that trust--"

Rather abruptly she realized she was rambling and flushed, biting at her lower lip. "Well, um. Ahem. As I said, he really is lovely."

Zero

Inside the carriage, with just the two of them, that pleasantly neutral mask that Keiran wore so carefully had fallen away completely. The young man smiled fondly, admiringly, at Lyssa as she spoke of her love for animals. It was something they shared in common. He was endlessly passionate about creatures great and small. Beasts of magic and myth were his specialty, but he held a fondness for all those exceedingly mundane as well.

"Thank you, when we stop next I will have to introduce you to him and then you can praise him directly. Romulus will undoubtedly preen at the attention." Kirin could be quite vain and proud creatures, after all.

DragonSong

Perking up, Lyssa enthused, "Oh, really? That would be wonderful, I'd love to meet him properly!" Her eyes flickered toward her own tiny charges where they still played with their new toy and her lips quirked up on one side.

"Is he amiable with other creatures? If we're going to be spending the next few weeks on your estate, perhaps I should try to get Teve and Viren used to the scent of kirin."

Zero

Keiran tilted his head and smiled down at the teacup dragons when Lyssa asked about getting them used to the scent of kirin since they would be around a lot of them soon. "Romulus only shows aggression to threats. Teve and Viren are not dangerous to him, and we will introduce them so he knows they are friends."

DragonSong

"Thank you." She smiled at him again, finally lifting her eyes from the tiny dragons just as the smaller of the two, Teve, managed to get himself so entangled in the yawn that he toppled over onto his side and cheeped indignantly. His brother rushed to aid him, gripping the thread in his tiny teeth and tugging, the thinnest, highest growl Lyssa had ever heard thrumming from his throat.

"Oh, goodness." She chuckled and bent to untangle the two teacup dragons, who licked her fingers and butted their heads against her palm in thanks. Shaking her head at them, she straightened up again and glanced out the window of the carriage.

"It's beautiful," she noted quietly. "The valley, I mean. I haven't really been outside Arca since I arrived-- I didn't realize how much I'd missed the sight of trees."