Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Myriads Though Bright (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, June 13, 2018, 06:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Coriander thought that owning a full drawer of gloves would be enough. It wasn't such a popular element of clothing that it had to be changed too frequently, unlike all the major parts. He thought that in this aspect, he had enough variety to pick and choose for any necessary purpose. But he just couldn't find an appropriate pair, or to be more precise, a pair made out of appropriate fabric or leather. The green dragonskin gloves should be thick and insular enough, but the texture was so rough that writing with them on would cause the text to smudge.

Perhaps he should take the risk anyway. Smudged text might be inelegant, but it might be enough of a hint for the Baron to suspect that something was going on. It was bad form to aim for a complete victory, without letting one's target make a counterplay. He picked the dragonskin pair out of the drawer, but inspiration struck before he managed to put it on. There was really no reason to wear gloves in the first place! After all, if he got poisoned, perhaps the Baron would hear of it and connect the dots - maybe come to a wrong conclusion that Coriander himself fell victim to a similar plot, perhaps even seek him out! Falling victim to the Malice venom would be worth it!

Coriander closed the drawer and picked Malice out of his poison cupboard. He was about to begin writing when a servant knocked on the door. How unfortunate!

"My lord, someone came to see you" the voice reported.

Well, he couldn't help it. He could always finish writing the letter later. He put Malice back in the cupboard, shuffling the bottles a little. He kept his poison carefully mislabeled, just so that anyone messing with it would meet an unpleasant surprise, but it wouldn't help against those knowledgeable enough to recognize that. So, just in case, he changed the positioning every once in a while. It couldn't hurt, after all.

Coriander made his way downstairs, heading to the drawing room to receive the guest.

DragonSong

The Coriander estate was essentially what she'd expected-- though of course little surprised the ambassador's daughter.

Kana waiting in the sitting room where she'd been directed, dressed in one of her mother's old kimonos: something "exotic" and "vintage" enough to be all the rage in fashion here on the mainland. Silly, but it certainly made an impression, which was honestly all she was aiming for at the moment.

Purple and gold silk spilled off her shoulders and her hair was down in a loose plait that swept elegantly over one shoulder, her head tilted to the side slightly as she looked around the room. Pleasant, well lit, a soft fire sputtering in the hearth. Perfectly charming.

Hm.

quaggan

It was a pleasant surprise to see Kana Moonglade. Coriander half-expected Marquesse Aensland to show up - but then again, if it was the Marquesse, she would probably smash her way inside, rather than patiently wait in the drawing room.

He bowed before approaching - as a host, he would have to perfectly adhere to the rules of etiquette. Proper hospitality was a part of the game, and he enjoyed playing far too much to just ignore the rules. "Be welcome, Lady Kana Moonglade, in my house." He was already skirting the rules a bit, considering that he was neither the lord of the house, nor the heir, but that could be forgiven.

"May I offer you some refreshments?" he began. In this one aspect, the merchant roots of his family held an advantage over the traditional nobility - all those connections and suppliers to draw from. Perhaps he should send a servant to the cellars to see if they had any Thanati wine to match her garments...

DragonSong

"Hello, Master Coriander." She smiled and rose to dip into a half curtsy when he greeted her. "Some water would be lovely, thank you," she added in response to his offer, smile softening slightly.

She took her seat again and tilted her head at him. "And how does the day find you?"

quaggan

"Hopefully, it doesn't. I'm in hiding at the moment" he quipped. "I've been trying to fool Countess Sarossa into thinking that I'm a vampire. If I'm seen during the daylight, it might raise her suspicions. Although, I've grown tired of this act, so I may drop it at a slightest temptation."

A servant knocked on the door. "Some water for the lady, please" Coriander commanded.

DragonSong

Kana laughed chimingly and tilted her head. "Ohhh, should I be playing along then?" she teased lightly. Pressing a hand to her chest, she widened her eyes and made her voice go a little breathy. "Am I to be a victim of vampiric nature, Master Corriander?"

quaggan

"Only if you're anaemic" he warned her, stroking his chin in pretend thought. "I have to watch my iron intake. I'm still a Serenian, and I fear being a vampire did little to help with it. I was considering finding some animals whose blood doesn't contain iron, but this isn't just as stylish as drinking from humans, I fear."

DragonSong

She chuckled again and shook her head. "Then unfortunately I believe you shall have to find a snack elsewhere. My apologies." She dipped her head to him with a playful little grin, eyes sparkling.

quaggan

"Oh no!" Coriander groaned in mock horror. "What am I supposed to do! The way it's going, I won't even have time to worry about vampire hunters at this rate, when feeding itself is such a problem!"

A servant knocked on the door. Probably they brought water. "Enter" Coriander called. A woman wearing the livery in his family's colours came in, bearing a crystal pitcher and two chalices. She placed it on the table and poured some for Kana, before turning to face him.

"Would you require anything as well, my lord?" she asked.

"Do you happen to be anemic?"

"No, my lord."

"Then I require nothing" he responded. It was for the best - he didn't actually want to drink the blood of a commoner. She left.

"Well then, how can this poor starving vampire help you?" he asked.

DragonSong

Kana smiled as she watched his antics, then rolled her eyes theatrically when he turned his attention back to her.

"Well, now that I know you're a vampire, I wonder if you really could help me with my...idea." Her eyes glinted, half playful, half scheming.

quaggan

Ah, there it was. The promise returning. Coriander leaned forward, a spark of expectation matching the one in her eyes. "Then, how can this humble vampire help you? Do you need some blood sucked? Some feeble mortal minds controlled? Someone's deepest desires read like an open book? " He could continue as long as he had sources, but it would be rude not to let his guest speak.

DragonSong

"Oh no, nothing so complicated, I assure you." Kana tilted her head the other way, debating for a moment, then decided bluntness might be her best option. "As it happens, Master Coriander, I am in need of something quite simple. A husband."

quaggan

Coriander's eyes widened slightly in surprise before he collected himself. That was neither what he was prepared to hear nor anything he was ever asked about. He was not a matchmaker, after all. Those nobles who respected tradition usually either made their choice alone, or requested the aid of a professional. They would scorn his opinion and dislike him as a troublemaker. And those less traditional usually had a will strong enough to make their own decisions.

But Kana Moonglade still asked, and he already promised to provide. He couldn't even say that he was unwilling - it was something new that could be interesting. Matching people together was a skill he could always improve, and he was pleased to have such a surprising chance to do so. "A husband? Well then, I shall endeavour to find someone worthy, although I can only limit my search to Serendipity." It probably didn't have to be said - she was clever, she probably didn't expect him to share her contacts in Thanatos.

"Hm, can I recommend anyone? Not my brother, that's for sure - he may be the hope of my house and future Lord Coriander, but he's at the moment going through a phase of judging people's worth by their ability to do calculus. Perhaps Baron-"

DragonSong

Oh goodness.

Almost despite herself Kana chuckled as she stood and moved toward him, reaching up to place two fingers over his mouth. "Elethain, I'm not asking you to act as my matchmaker," she murmured, smiling crookedly. "I'm asking if you'd be adverse to the idea of marrying me."

quaggan

First broaching the marriage subject, now a proposal! Kana Moonglade found yet another way to surprise him, and Coriander couldn't wait to hear what unexpected thing she would say again. How further could it go? Was she looking for a new addition to newly legalized harems that somehow slipped his attention? Was she trying to trick him into something? Was there a secret clause?

Either way, he was in. He always liked direct women, those who knew what they wanted and took it, never letting anyone get in their way. As much as he loved intrigue and the clash of minds and cunning that it involved, there was a certain refreshing strength that her offer carried. "I think no man would be adverse to marrying you, Kana." Except for those who had no interest in women, but he didn't count himself among those.

"But I would be insulting both of us if I just took the offer without thinking about it and asking some questions" he continued. "If you do not mind answering them, that is."

DragonSong

"Oh, of course." She smiled and settled back onto the chaise, hands folded in her lap. "Please, ask away. Be assured I will answer as completely as I can."

quaggan

So many questions! And hopefully Kana Moonglade would have answers for them, although if she didn't, Coriander could always search for them himself, rather than expect everything to be handed to him without any effort on his part. He steepled his fingers, leaned back, and asked what he really should ask. "I'm sure you could find at least seven men like me during the party. Why exactly do you think I'm the best choice for marriage?"

He wasn't just fishing for compliments - although it was always nice to hear pleasant things from a lady. Kana Moonglade didn't strike him as the kind of a woman to propose to anyone she just met. As an ambassador's daughter, she would have many prospects more promising than a non-heir of a minor family. And depending on her answer, he would know what kind of a marriage she was looking for.

DragonSong

Ah, of course. The obvious question. It only made sense.

Smiling again, Kana nodded. "Of course, it's understandable you're curious. Well, to be perfectly honest— it was a bit of a hunch, at first." Her smile turned playfully wicked and she added, "But you aren't the only one with contacts in this city, Master Coriander. And I've heard quite a bit about your...dalliances, in the last day."

quaggan

So he was recommended by his contacts? That was quite heartwarming. He choked back a smirk - there was time for vulgarity, and it was not now. "Well, I would be surprised to hear that some of them recommended me for marriage." Then again, he had more than enough acquaintances that liked to tell tall tales, so maybe he should not be. "While I would be glad to be of assistance to you in the matter of dalliances, I wouldn't say a marriage is necessary for one."

DragonSong

"Ah-- oh no no, you misunderstand. Though I suppose that's my fault, I'm not being entirely clear." She smiled and shifted slightly on the chaise, patting the freed space beside her. "Won't you sit with me? It'll get rather awkward if you stand there the whole time."

She paused, thinking how best to phrase what she was thinking. "While I am certainly not adverse to a...dalliance between us-- in fact judging by our encounter last night I believe it would be quite fun-- that is not why I sought you out for this." She lifted her eyes to meet his, smiling softly. "I think we are very much of a kind, Elethain, you and I. Free spirits, as it were. And a partnership between such spirits would be...mutually beneficial. If you see what I'm trying to say?"