Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Myriads Though Bright (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, June 13, 2018, 06:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Kana was right - just off the top of his head, he could name a few he found during his first foray. He wasn't exactly on the lookout for hiding places, so it was possible that she knew more than he on this matter, and could show him something new and interesting. He always liked learning of intriguing people, places and things - not always in this order.

"Well, it would be dishonest of me to claim physical prowess that I lack" he began. "But while I am no warrior, there are few more curtly pursuits that this flesh has been honed for. While you may already be familiar with my dancing skills, I have to acknowledge that one sample is not enough to make a proper judgement, and I invite you to test me further. But unless fortune sees fit to grant us a randomly passing by minstrel, we'd lack music to dance to. Otherwise..." He let it trail off.

DragonSong

"It seems we must make music of our own then," the ambassador's daughter said with a sly smile. She leaned just a fraction closer-- then pulled back, slipping her hand back into the crook of his arm with all the grace propriety demanded.

"Let's hurry on. I confess I'm eager to learn these courtly pursuits of which you speak."

quaggan

Coriander chuckled. "Learn? Why bother with such false modesty, Lady Kana Moonglade? I have a feeling you are just as talented in these areas as I am. "Oh, I can understand the desire to keep one's cards close to hand, and it would be crass and tasteless of me to demand to know all the secrets so early after meeting a lady... But I fear in this case, I am wholeheartedly not convinced."

DragonSong

Kana laughed again, positively delighted. "And quite right to be, I should think," she chuckled, tossing a wink at him. Playfully, she added, "Though I suppose you'll have to wait until we have some bit of privacy before truly learning how talented I can be."

quaggan

Patience was a virtue, one that Coriander developed in time and grew to appreciate it only as of late. When he was younger, he kept throwing himself at every opportunity whenever it appeared, eager for whatever the world and its people had in store for him. But now he was willing to wait a bit, to delay immediate gratification for later. In a way, he could compare himself to a child that only recently has learned that it's a better deal to get five pieces of candy in two hours than just two pieces now.

"I'm willing to wait" he smirked. "I'm not so impetuous that I would demand everything before its prior time. Ah, this way, please - they finally finished maintenance on the road a week ago."

He wasn't sure if Kana Moonglade knew, having just recently gotten back to Arca. The street was closed a few months ago, due to one of the protective spells wearing off, and only was repaired recently.

DragonSong

"Oh, good." That would cut their walk by a good ten minutes, if she remembered the roads correctly. She sighed dramatically and pouted. "It's such a bother living so distinctly in two places. Sometimes I overlay maps of one city over another in my head," she laughed, shaking her head.

quaggan

"Are Arca and Suna so similar for you to mistake one for the other?" he asked. He would have expected Thanati architecture to be different, but perhaps it was his perspective that was wrong. "Or perhaps at this point they are both so familiar to you that you no longer have to pay attention and they start to blend in together? I feel quite envious - all I was ever accustomed to is the capital city. Perhaps I should be more patriotic and claim that nothing could ever compare to Arca, especially the work of foreigners, but I'd rather not shut myself to what could be promising."

DragonSong

"More the second, I believe, that I'm so used to both cities I walk down a street certain I know my way, and only ten minutes later realize I've been following a path to a Maoin house in my head." She shook her head with a laugh and glanced up at him.

A glint lit in her eyes and she teased lightly, "You know, if we are to do this who courtship and engagement thing properly, I believe one day you will see Suna for yourself."

quaggan

Coriander heard about the Maoin before. He had enough of national pride to consider Serendipity the most advanced and amazing place on Le'raana - Connlaothian noisy technology could not hold a cyborg candle to the charm and creativity of most enchantments, Adelans were violent barbarians and the rest of the world was sadly far behind. Still, he could appreciate good solutions foreigners came up with, and most of them could be traced back to Thanatos, such as their fabrics, style, and of course the enigmatic Maoin caste. There was a lot to like about having one of their highest and most respected profession was essentially making the world a more interesting and pleasant place to experience. Of course, he took a lot of the rumours with a grain of salt, and he didn't exactly have an opportunity to test their veracity. Even if he had the coin to send a spy overseas, he could not afford removing any from their current assignment. Serenian politics were delicate and he needed every advantage at his disposal.

"This would surely be interesting" he mused. "I should probably start learning the language. Is it difficult? I have heard that the Thanati alphabet is notoriously complex."

DragonSong

"Oh, it's incredibly difficult," Kana replied blunty. "Unless, of course, it is your first language. In which case, I would assume one would think that Common and Serenian are difficult." She shrugged witha  crooked smile. "Or, if you're lucky enough to be born of both cultures, your parents teach you both while growing up, and you have the opportunity to feel superior to just about everyone you meet."

Her tone was quiet serious, but the glint to her eyes and slight curve to her mouth showed that she was only speaking in jest.

quaggan

Oh no. Elethain quickly summoned his composure and put on a calm face. He did not like difficult things. It wasn't like he was an idiot - he liked to think that his mind was rather quick; and if he were to be judged by his skill with words, he spent enough time in the court to sharpen his tongue and there were plenty of people who would attest to his abilities. But he didn't know if it would translate well (pun not intended) to the notoriously problematic language of Thanatos. Perhaps he should simply find a linguamancer and have the necessary aptitude implanted into his brain...

"I feel overwhelmed by the crushing weight of my inferiority" he sighed, continuing the jest. "It is no wonder your life takes you to both Serenian in Thanati courts - it would be cruelty to restrict your brilliance to one place only. I feel honoured to be in your presence. How can I worship you properly, with only one language to speak?"

DragonSong

The ambassador's daughter laughed delightedly and gave him a rather brazen wink. "Oh, I sure you will think of something. You're so clever, Master Coriander."

No sooner was the compliment out of her mouth when she noted brightly, "Ah! We're here."

It seemed they had been well enough engrossed in conversation not to realize just how close to the gardens they had gotten as they walked.

quaggan

Yes, it would seem that he would have to put some effort in it. Making an effort was neither Elethain's forte nor an activity he enjoyed. He was of the opinion that working hard was the resort of those not clever enough to work smart. Some people he knew would probably spout some trite nonsense about all worthy things requiring effort and hard work... and as much as he just wanted to dismiss it as he always had, it strangely resonated with his current situation. He couldn't claim to know Kana Moonglade well, not after just a meeting and polling his informants, but she's already made an impression of someone who would not be easily satisfied.

But he could ponder it in more detail later. Satisfied, he shelved it into one of the corners of his mind as the gate of the evening gardens loomed ahead. As one might suspect, it contained a variety of exotic plants that that only bloomed or opened up during the evening. While in any other country, the evening gardens would only be open, or at least experience most traffic, in those rare few hours, Serendipity had a better solution. Ancient Essyrn was the only empire where the sun never set, but Serenian people could achieve with their power what others had to engage in extensive conquest to reach. A clever enchantment kept the gardens in the state of perpetual twilight, magic filtering the rays of the sun to provide necessary illumination. The effect was quite romantic - and perfect for their business as well.

DragonSong

Kana's eyes lit up as they entered the gardens, then fluttered closed for a moment as she took in a deep breath, simply standing in place.

"Oh, I missed this," she murmured, turning slowly on her heel to take everything in. Flowers mostly in shades of pale blues and purples or white, a few even inky black or indigo, surrounded them. Unlike most day-blooming plants, their scents were light and clean, not as thick or cloying as a rose garden or the like could be.

She loved it here. She always had, ever since she was girl. A hint of tension that may have been previously imperceptible fell from her shoulders and she smile as she looked up at Elethain was soft and contented. "Do you have a favorite part of the gardens, milord?"

quaggan

A rather silly question came unbidden to his lips. There was little point to asking if Thanatos had anything like it - if it did, he would be hearing of this fascinating place right now. He wasn't very surprised - no nation could equal Serendipity when it came to magic. Even Thanatos with its proud traditions and love for beauty couldn't match it. An evening garden could only be open on the islands for a fleeting time, probably less than even an hour.

"I am quite fond of the western alcove" he admitted. "The illusion of the Hyoite aurora borealis is truly lovely. I am glad to get to see it without having to expose myself to the tundra temperatures."

DragonSong

"Well then." Kana squeezed his arm gently and smiled up at him. "Care to show me to this alcove?"

quaggan

He was tempted to ask what was her favourite part, but this wasn't the right moment, not after she made her request. And it could wait, he should curb his impatience. They would have time to visit it after the aurora alcove - the magic of this place was so that they wouldn't have to keep the passage of time. And even if circumstances conspired against him and prevented him from seeing it until the Moonglade family had to leave for Thanatos again... well, in this case, he would just have something to look forward to in the future.

He just had to look at the garden attendant to have the gates opened for them. "I have come into possession of a special pass recently. I do my best not to abuse it - I wouldn't want to turn the beauty of this place into a routine."

The real circumstances behind his acquisition were nowhere near as innocent, but it was not a story he cared to tell where there could be eavesdropping ears nearby. He set his mind to the task as he turned his steps in the desired direction. "This way."

DragonSong

"Lead the way." Kana walked along beside him easily, looking around with a fondly nostalgic smile on her face as they made their way through the gardens. She really had missed this place.

"I'll have to think of somewhere in Thanatos to attempt to compare," she murmured absently after a few moments. "It would be nice to show you some of the beauty the islands have to offer."

quaggan

"I've heard that the island culture places a lot of emphasis on beauty" he recalled. "And from what I inferred from your dress and appearance, I find the Thanati style quite interesting. What does beauty mean to you? A providence of nature? A conscious effort of human art? Or something more complex than such simple ideas?"

DragonSong

She tilted her head slightly, considering. "Well...there are different theories of beauty all across Thanatos, of course. I think...the one I find most compelling is the idea of absence. Framing an emptiness to show that simple space can have a beauty of it's own."

She glanced up at him with a half-smile. "Does that make sense?"