Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Song of Wind

Started by Paladienne, June 22, 2018, 05:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

@DragonSong

The wind had a strange scent to it. Not quite that of danger, but more of caution. From where he crouched, Aénohé'ke could see the entirety of the plains stretching out ahead of him and to all sides. The spring grasses flowed easily like river waves in the breeze, calm and serene, as if nature was attempting to preserve the peace by showing him the great beauty of the world around him. Ann respected that. And if he could, he would spend his time in peace as well, admiring the world around him. But he couldn't, and he was here for a reason, and that reason wasn't to study the waving grasses and bask in the caress of the breeze and sunlight. No, the reason he was here wandered among those waving grasses, heedless of the danger that lurked no more than sixty or so yards away.

Ann slowly drew an arrow from the quiver on his left hip, carefully fitting the stone-headed projectile to his bowstring. Setting his left index finger on the shaft just behind the arrowhead, he steadied the projectile as he rose from his crouch into a hunched position, his eyes focused on his target as he stalked closer, his bare feet making no more than a whisper of noise on the earth.

The small herd of deer suddenly came to attention and Ann dropped into a crouch again, his brown eyes glancing around for what had startled his prey so. He was downwind of them, and had done his best to put his back to the sun. His sun-warmed brown skin and long black hair did little to allow him to blend into his surroundings, and so he relied on his ability to freeze at a second's notice, hoping the waving grasses around him would shield him from sight. Aénohé'ke spotted a possible culprit to explain the deer's sudden alertness - nearby, spread out at nearly equal distances, were other hunters, members of his tribe who were crouched similar to he, having also dropped down as soon as the deer showed signs of paying attention. His eyes met several others, each hunter nodding at each other slowly, giving silent signals as to their intentions.

Almost as one, the hunters sprang up, firing their arrows at the deer. The herd startled at the first sign of unfamiliar movement, but as fast as they were, truer was the aim of the hunters.

Ann drew back on his bowstring, sighted down the shaft of his arrow, and released it. The projectile sped through the air and struck a doe in the haunch. Instead of falling, the animal only stumbled, its legs crumpling only for a single heartbeat before it regained its strength and bounded off. Cursing under his breath, Ann took off after his prey, whistling sharply in a series of stuttering sounds. Only minutes after the last note faded did he hear the thundering of hooves, a sleek painted mare quickly approaching at full gallop. Ann grabbed a fist full of Ma'akéné's mane as she passed and hauled himself onto her back, gripping tight with his knees.

Together, as if heedless of the scent in the wind, man and horse charged after the wounded deer, leaving behind the rest of the hunting party and running on alone.

DragonSong

She shouldn't have ridden this far. She was meant to be on patrol, keeping their current camp safe, but she'd ridden far beyond the rest of her group, out beyond the borders they'd agreed on when they set up camp several weeks before.

But still she kept riding.

Ortec huffed beneath her, feeling her tension as her hands tightened in his mane. Riala chuckled softly and relaxed her seat somewhat, urging him to slow down. "Sorry, old boy," she murmured with a soft sigh, finally lifting her eyes from the horizon to actually look around. The stallion snorted quietly; she could feel every breath echo through him into her-- one of the best advantages of riding without tack, in her opinion.

Though it did mean she was currently without saddlebags, so even if she did find some sort of foraging supply-- as she'd told the rest of her patrol she was going in search of-- she'd have a hard time carting it back.

"I really didn't think this through," she huffed with a wry shake of her head.

No sooner had the words left her mouth when the wind changed, and Ortec snapped his head up, ears perked forward to listen. Riala tensed instinctively, scanning the tall grass. Something was moving, running toward them...

A deer?

She was startled enough by the animal's appearance that it took her several moments to notice its pursuer. Once she had though, her eyes narrowed and she immediately reached for the bow slung across her back.

She gave a sharp click of her tongue for Ortec and a soft tap with her heels, and they sprang forward, racing directly into the stranger's path. She stopped the charging stallion with a shouted command, eyes narrowed as she stared down the line of a nocked arrow at the other rider. "You."

She could hear the doe stumbling behind her. She was wounded-- she'd die of blood loss or some other predator if left on her own. With a quiet tsk, Riala shifted her gaze partially away from the stranger and twisted her upper body. She barely needed to look in order to take aim and loose an arrow.

The bolt struck the already wounded creature directly at the base of the skull, killing her instantly. Painless. Good.

Riala quickly snapped back and said again. "You." She nocked another arrow. "You the hell are you?"

Paladienne

Ann and Ma'akéné were like a symbiotic machine, moving easily together as if they were a single entity rather than two separate beings. He had raised her from a foal into the magnificent beast she was now, and had forged a bond with her that ran deeper than just surface loyalty. She was family. She was his four-footed sister. And so, Ann trusted her to keep her eyes on their path while he focused on what was ahead and their prey. Even wounded, the deer was quite fast, and it was steadily widening the gap between them. Gripping Ma'akéné's heaving sides with his knees, Ann nocked an arrow and lifted his bow, sighting down the shaft toward the deer.

Then, suddenly, Ma'akéné was digging in her hooves, and Ann's view of the deer was lost behind the silhouette of a woman atop a large stallion, and his vision narrowed to the point of the arrowhead the woman was aiming at him. He released his bow with one hand to grip his mare's mane to keep from being flipped over her head as she came to an abrupt stop, narrowly avoiding crashing into the pair that was now in their path. So unarmed, Ann stared at the woman, as if uncertain what her goal was. He certainly understood the expression on her face, and the word that had come out of her mouth, as if she recognized him on a personal level. He doubted that, but the plains were a hostile place and numerous tribes roamed the land, often attacking other tribes as much as they attacked unsuspecting caravans. His own tribe was no exception, though in the last couple of seasons they had had more encounters of the peaceful variety than violent, even with members of tribes who were their sworn enemies.

He watched the woman's eyes narrow as she clicked her tongue in an annoyed way. Then, when she turned and shot the deer with the grace and dexterity only a plains-dweller could have, Ann found himself thoroughly impressed. Yet that feeling of impression wasn't enough to make him amenable to giving up - or sharing - what should have been his kill.

Before he could move, though, the woman was facing him again, another arrow pointed at him. Her question made him blink, but her tone was one he was familiar with. She wanted an answer, and she would get it, one way or another.

So, he made a show of slipping his arrow back into the quiver at his hip and sliding his bow over his shoulder, thus disarming himself. She might still shoot him, but at least this way, he had shown her he was amenable to attempting peaceful interactions.

His voice, when he spoke, was accented, for the tongue she spoke wasn't the one he had been raised speaking. "I am a hunter, nothing more. And that deer, she belongs to me. I will retrieve her and be gone."

Without waiting for her to answer him, he urged Ma'akéné forward. Snorting, the mare pranced around the stallion, flicking her tail in mild annoyance at him. Upon reaching the place where the doe had fallen, Ann dismounted in a single fluid motion, moving to pick the dead animal up and sling it over Ma'akéné's back before he mounted again.

DragonSong

Ortec snorted and pinned his ears back as the mare passed beside him. Ria let one hand rest briefly on his whithers to calm him, eyes narrowed as she stared down the stranger.

"I don't think so." Almost as though he read her thoughts, Ortec twisted and stomped at the earth with a forehoof, tossing his mane as he put himself between the other rider and his return path. "Where are the rest of your riders?" Ria demanded, glaring. Whoever this man and his people were, they were far too close to her own tribe's camp for her comfort.

Paladienne

Ma'akéné snorted at the stallion and pinned her ears back, her mouth opening as she prepared to bite him. Ann set a hand on her neck to calm her, subtlety telling her to wait. He didn't want to spark a fight if there wasn't a need to do so. After all, the woman was well within her rights to demand information from him. Had their roles been reversed, and had he come across her while she was hunting, he would have demanded the same. She only wanted to protect her people. He understood that all too well.

Yet, he didn't want to divulge all his secrets to her. That would be foolish and dangerous. And she was armed and he was currently was not, so pushing her into responding with violence was not the wisest thing to do.

Using his knees, Ann urged his mare to move, and she did so with a spirited step, dancing around the stallion with an air of superiority. To the woman, he said, "I am alone. I left the others behind to deal with the ones that didn't escape us. I will return to them, and we shall no longer bother you."

DragonSong

Ortec pinned his ears at the mare, irritated that she didn't seem to recognize his dominance. He snorted and tossed his head, but a soft touch on his shoulder from Riala seemed to calm him.

His rider's eyes narrowed and her grip on her bowstring tightened. "And I'm supposed to just believe that?" she spat. "Who are you? What is your tribe?"

Paladienne

Ann flicked a glance at the stallion before looking back toward the woman. He sat a little straighter on Ma'akéné's back, ready to react to anything. His mare, too, seemed ready to bolt at a moment's notice. Her tail flicked back and forth in irritation, her ears pinned back and her liquid eyes ever upon the stallion.

Should he give her his name and that of his tribe? He didn't know her, had never seen her before. What if, once he answered her, she would kill him? It was safer if he simply left and they went their separate ways. Yet, he sensed that she wouldn't allow him to do such. If she was so adamant now about getting in his way, then he was certain she would be just as tenacious even if he managed to evade her.

Sighing, Ann replied, "I don't particularly care what you believe. It's the truth. But if you insist, then I will tell you my name when you give me yours."

DragonSong

Riala stared at him for a long moment-- then released her bolt. The arrow skimmed just over the top of his head.

In the span of barely a breath she had another arrow nocked and ready. "You. First," she hissed, daring him to give her a reason to shoot. "Or next time, I won't miss."

Paladienne

In a flash, Ann grabbed a fistful of his mare's mane as she leaped forward, her hooves flashing toward the stallion with the intent to startle him. Then she was surging away, quickly picking up speed even encumbered by the deer as she was. Ann ground his teeth and leaned low, making himself a smaller target. He knew she would likely give chase, so he couldn't lead her back to the other hunters. She may want to kill him, but that didn't mean he wanted her dead. So with a subtle twitch of his knees, he directed Ma'akéné to change directions, still heading away from the woman and her stallion but also away from his tribe. He was confident he could lose her, he just had to figure out how.

DragonSong

Another bolt zipped by the stranger's face, Riala gritting her teeth in frustration. Ortec was not one to be startled by a sudden show of force, his neck snapping out in an attempt to bite at the mare.

Then they were running, off after the strangers like a shot. Thundering hooves, ripping wind, a horse's cry--

Oh. Oh no.

"Get down!"

With a subtle squeeze and tap, she brought Ortect leaping forward, slamming his shoulder into the smaller mare's knocking her off balance. Bending from the saddle, Ria grabbed the doe off the back of the stranger's mount and hissed, "Get her down and stay in the grass if you want to live through this!"

Just on the horizon, she could make out the dark shapes of the rest of her patrol, growing rapidly closer.

Paladienne

Ann felt the wind of the arrow as it screamed past his face, but he didn't stop to see if he'd been cut. He would deal with it later if he had, but right now, his concentration was on escaping.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the stallion gaining on them, then hissed as he came along side them and slammed himself into Ma'akéné. The mare stumbled enough that Ann was forced to leap clear of her, landing in the grass and rolling back to his feet. The mare righted herself, and finding herself suddenly free of the burden of the deer and of the weight of her rider, she checked her speed and came to a stop, snorting with agitation.

Ann froze at the woman's shout, hearing the warning in her voice. A quick glance around showed him what she was so afraid of, the shapes in the distance. Recognizing the expression on her face as fear, Ann was faced with a choice. Trust her and survive, or try to outrun both her and the approaching riders.

Ann clenched his teeth and pursed his lips, giving a low whistle to Ma'akéné. The mare instantly dropped down to her knees and Ann joined her, settling against her back and keeping low in the grass. He was trusting this stranger with his life, and his mare's, and if he was wrong, they both wouldn't be alive for much longer.

DragonSong

Riala wheeled Ortec around, adjusting the doe over her horse's back as she felt him shiver with tension beneath her.

Her patrol was fast approaching. She spared another glance for the stranger and his mare before sending Ortec trotting forward to meet the other riders. She whistled for their attention and waved a hand. They'd be suspicious if she didn't try to flag them down.

Kathar was in the lead, and he brought his red chestnut around to meet her and Ortec, one eyebrow raised when he saw "her" catch. "What were you thinking, Ree? We aren't out here to hunt, you know."

She shrugged. "I saw an opportunity and I took it. Lay off."

Kathar narrowed his eyes. He didn't like her challenging him, but there wasn't a whole lot he could do about it. Not yet, at any rate. She stared him down. "Go on back. The herd's not far, I might be able to get another doe or something. You can finish patrol without me."

Her tribesman gritted his teeth, but didn't argue. He couldn't, not with the daughter of the chief. Once upon a time that wouldn't have mattered, but now...

Her father was not a forgiving sort.

"Fine." With a quick whistle for the rest of their patrol, the riders wheeled and took off back along their assigned route. Riala waited until they were far enough away they wouldn't be paying her any attention, then swung down from Ortec's back and paced back toward where she'd left the stranger and his horse.

"Alright." Once again she stared at him down the shaft of an arrow. "Now. Who the hells are you?"

Paladienne

Ann held his hand steady over Ma'akéné's shoulder where it joined her neck, their oft-practiced signal for 'lay down, lay still', and kept close to her back, ready to sling a leg over her side and remove his hand and gallop for their lives once she sprang back to her feet. Through the grasses, he watched the woman ride away with his catch, but she didn't go far. No, instead of being the thief, she was being the unlooked-for heroine, confronting a man upon a chestnut horse. Ann quickly assessed him as the leader of the small band of men around him, but the dynamic between the man and the woman was startling. He was deferring to her.

Ann held his breath as he watched the two argue. It was clear who was in the superior position here. Despite seeming around his own age, the woman was clearly the authority, and she knew it. The man knew it, but Ann could see from the man's posture and the strange glint in his eyes that he wished their positions were reversed.

Ann didn't breathe again until the riders had wheeled their horses around and had galloped off. He remained where he was with Ma'akéné until the woman returned to them, and only then did he remove his hand, allowing his mare to surge to her feet. She snorted in irritation and flicked her tail back and forth, her ears pricked forward and focused on the stallion before her. Ann also didn't miss the way Ma'akéné's liquid eyes focused on the woman, and on the arrow she was aiming at him, and Ann curled his fist in his mare's mane to keep her from lunging at the stallion and his rider. She snorted again and half turned her head as if to bite him. Ann put his hand on her cheek and pushed her head away.

He turned his gaze then upon the woman, knowing there was no escape for him this time, since he was currently unarmed and on foot. There was no escaping the situation now.

"I'll tell you, on your word that you won't allow any harm to come to her," Ann tilted his head toward Ma'akéné. "She'll be free to do as she pleases, whatever happens to me."

DragonSong

The huntress's expression suddenly...softened. Well, not softened, exactly. But her eyes lost some of the harsh anger, and her grip on her bow relaxed just slightly.

"Of course," she murmured. "I mean no harm to your sister, stranger."

Honestly...she didn't really mean him harm either-- if she had she would have just let the patrol have him-- but he was still a stranger in her tribe's lands. A potential threat. One she couldn't risk seeing or taking advantage of any mercy she may feel.

"So. Talk."

Paladienne

Upon hearing her promise, Ann forced his body to relax. So long as his four-footed sister would be safe, what happened to him didn't matter. He patted Ma'akéné's neck and stroked his hand down to her shoulder, then looked at the woman.

"My name is Aénohé'ke, and my tribe is the Hôsanémé." He smiled, albeit sadly, certain that now he was going to die, since he had given her his name and his tribe. "I am also called Ann. It's easier to pronounce for most people."

He turned his attention to Ma'akéné, stroking her velvet nose as she pressed her muzzle to his shoulder. "This is my sister, Ma'akéné. Now that you know our names, we would like to know yours, before you kill me."

DragonSong

Riala's eyes widened. His tribe was not unknown to her-- and if her father knew they were close, it would be open war.

She glanced back over her shoulder in the direction the patrol had gone, then swore colorfully, and lowered her bow, stashing the arrow back in her quiver. Eyes snapping fire, she looked back to Ann and said sharply, "You need to leave. Now. Go back to your people and tell them to move on, unless you want a raid on your hands."

She set her jaw as Ortec came up beside her, a concerned rumble echoing through his chest. She patted his whithers automatically. "They won't hear about it from me, but we'll be at our camp for at least a month, and you won't be able to stay hidden that long. Go to your people and tell them to move, if you want to live."

Scowl still firmly in place, she turned and swung up onto her dun's back, then paused. "...My name is Riala." The huntress laid a hand against her mount's neck. "This is Ortec. Pleased to meet you. Now leave."

Paladienne

Ann smiled, but it was a sad one. He had her name and the name of her four-footed brother, and that seemed it would be all she would give him. But she was letting him go with his life, and there was nothing more he could ask of her. Nothing more he should ask of her. Take your good fortune and leave.

Ann moved to mount his mare, settling easily onto her back. He would be ridiculed for losing the doe, but that was a shame he could live with. There would be other hunts, other successes. But her words concerned him. Wars between tribes weren't uncommon. Lately, his tribe had sought other paths than war when they came across their enemies, but Ann knew they were the exceptions, not the rule.

"I will tell my people your words, Riala." Ann said at last, focusing on her eyes so that she would know he was speaking the truth. "But I can't guarantee that they will be heeded. I will do my best to convince my chieftain. I owe you my life, and more."

He inclined his head to her then, then gathered a handful of Ma'akéné's mane to guide her away from Riala and Ortec. After a moment, the mare transitioned from a trot to a full gallop. Only once did Ann look back over his shoulder toward Riala, as if trying to see if she were following him. Then he was gone, out of her sight, and riding back toward his tribe.

He wasn't sure how he was going to convince his chieftain to move the tribe, especially since they were reliant upon the herds to sustain them, and the herds were constantly moving, ignorant of territory boundaries between humans. He didn't know if he could convince the chieftain. All he could do was alert him to the fact there was another tribe nearby, one that would wage war against them if they were to meet. The only thing Ann was sure of was that he would do his best to protect Riala and her Ortec if the worst came to pass. She had spared his life, and so he would ensure that hers was saved as well.

DragonSong

Riala watched him ride away for several long minutes before she finally turned Ortec in the direction of their camp, urging him forward with a sharp squeeze and a click. The grasslands flew by as her stallion surged forward.

It was almost sunset when Ortec was once again racing across the plains, sides heaving and mouth foaming as he ran. Blood streaked his flank, though it was not his own, and he was riderless.

The stallion didn't pause for a moment, following the scent of the mare they'd met earlier that day, before everything went wrong. Ortect hardly cared, but his herd-sister would have been praying that Ma'akene and her human would be alone.

The scent grew stronger and Ortec suddenly skidded to a stop, eyes rolling wildly. He gave a high, piercing scream.

Paladienne

It had gone the way Ann had expected it would.

He had reported what had happened to him during the hunt to his chieftain and to the entire tribe, but the chieftain had decided that they would not run. They would not turn tail and flee just because a single woman from an enemy tribe had warned them. The Hôsenémé did not run. They did not flee. They stood and fought, to whatever end.

That being said, Ann knew that the tribe was now more vigilant. As the sun set and the tribe settled in for the night, more sentries were posted around the village and there were no cookfires left to glow in the dark. There were no raised voices. Even the horses were silent, their ears pricked forward for any unknown noise, and even the ones that had settled down to sleep were alert.

Ann couldn't sleep. He was restless and he was unsure why. So he wandered through the camp aimlessly, his mind locked on one thought or another. Ma'akéné trailed by his side, plodding along with heavy hooves, as if to let him know that she was there and wasn't about to go anywhere. Ann enjoyed her company, and it kept him from being too melancholy. Was he worried about Riala? Perhaps. He had no reason to be. She would be safe so long as her people stayed away from his. He wouldn't have to fight, and she wouldn't have to die. But even though he was certain of this, Ann found himself worrying anyway.

Ma'akéné stopped short suddenly, her head and tail raising high and her ears pricking forward. Ann stopped when he realized she was no longer following him and half turned to regard her. He watched her ears rotate, sometimes together, sometimes independently, as they tried to pick up sound. Then she stomped her hoof and snorted, her eyes locking on his, liquid and brown, as if filled with worry.

Ann heard it then, the high-pitched scream that couldn't come from a human throat. Even in the growing dark, he could see that others had heard the sound too, but they weren't moving. Instead, the humans gripped their weapons tighter and the horses pranced in their places, flicking their tails from side to side in agitation.

Ma'akéné stomped her hoof again and leaped forward toward her human, prancing around him insistently. Uncertain of what it was exactly she wanted - but knowing she wanted him to mount her - Ann pulled himself up onto her back and sank low over her neck as her muscles surged, sending both her and him sailing through the air. Her hooves hit soft earth and dug in deep, propelling them away from the camp and toward the sound of the cry.

And to both of their surprise, at the source of the sound, was Ortec.

DragonSong

The moment the dun caught sight of them, Ortect tossed his head and reared twice, making sure mare and human both had seen him, before he wheeled around and galloped off. He was obviously exhausted, tripping over his own hooves several times, but he didn't stop until he'd found that particular clump of grasses, partially trampled down and heavily stained with blood.

A barely conscious Riala forced her eyes open as she heard a horse approaching, sighing with relief when Ortec's familiar whinny floated to her over the air. She tried to sit up, but a thoroughly aching body prevented her from doing much more than lifting a hand and gasping in pain.

Ortec skidded to a halt beside his herd-sister, pacing around her in an anxious circle twice before he allowed his front legs to buckle and knelt, then laid beside her, nuzzling her shoulder and huffing anxiously. His entire body trembled with exertion, sides heaving even as he lay still.

Despite her horse's obvious distress, Riala was clearly the one worse off. Blood coated her clothes, and ever-darkening bruises dotted almost every inch of visible skin. A Long gash near her hairline seemed to be the source of most of the blood on her face, now caked and drying into her hair, and one of her shoulders seemed to be dislocated.

Ortec looked up from the huntress and gave that same, desperate call. He didn't know what else to do.