Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Song of Wind

Started by Paladienne, June 22, 2018, 05:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Ann nodded, accepting her answer. He folded the packet and put it away, then pulled another waterskin from his pack and offered it to her. "You should eat and drink a little something, then rest. You too, Ortec. We can keep watch."

He smiled at her, hoping that he was putting her at ease. Even if she felt too uncomfortable to sleep, he would keep watch. He admired her strength, for dealing with the pain as she was. He knew few who would willingly suffer like that, even among his own tribe. He reached out and gently gripped her shoulder, then rose and moved past her to take up a position near the entrance of their hideaway. He settled with his back to her, so she would have some semblance of privacy while she tried to sleep.

It was the least he could do, after all. And she needed rest, no matter what she might think about it.

DragonSong

Riala looked down at his hand as he gripped her shoulder, then up into his face. She thought perhaps she should say something, but no words came. After several long moments, she settled for a sharp nod, flicking her eyes from her rescuer to Ortec and back.

"...Thank you."

Unable to think of anything else to say, and feeling exhaustion tugging at her bones, she finally curled onto her side to sleep, closing her eyes with a long sigh.

Paladienne

Ann looked back over his shoulder at the whispered words, watching Riala sleep. She needed the rest and she needed to heal, so it was up to him to keep her safe through the night and make sure no one bothered her. She looked like she'd been through hell, and he could only imagine what it had been she'd suffered, especially if her tribe had turned her out and left her to die.

He couldn't begin to imagine how she felt. His own tribe had their own exile practices, but they had never exiled anyone without good reason. Ann knew he was risking exile just for helping her, but his was a good reason. He might be accepted back into his tribe if he explained himself. But he couldn't right now. He couldn't risk her safety by bringing her into his tribe, nor he could he risk his tribe by bringing her to them. He didn't want to start a war.

No, he was on his own, at least until Riala was better. Then, maybe, he could figure out what would happen after that.

DragonSong

She didn't know how long she slept. Unconsciousness was a blessed relief from the pain, but her dreams were hardly a respite in truest form. They were dark and hot and loud, and too fast for her to fully comprehend: snatches of memory blended with fears she hardly ever voiced.

Eventually, she woke, groaning softly as she instinctively tried to sit up and her body instantly protested the motion.

Ortec's head shot up and he turned quickly toward her, ears perked forward and snorting a little nervously.

Riala forced herself to smile, turning onto her less injured side with a small wince and reaching up to him. "Shh, lad. I'm here, I'm alright."

Paladienne

At the sound of movement, Ann shifted his weight and twisted to look behind him at Riala and Ortec. He smiled, pleased to see that she was awake. Slowly, he rose and moved over to her, crouching beside her to help her sit up.

"How are you feeling? Would you like something to eat?"

Ann moved away from her then, reaching for his bag to begin rooting around through it. "I'll go hunting later, but for now, I have enough to tide you over until I can find something more substantial."

He pulled out a small wrapped package, offering it to her. Inside were seeds and berries and dried meat, a quick snack meant to ease hunger but not erase it completely. He had several of these packets, but they wouldn't last if he didn't supplement them through hunting and foraging.

DragonSong

"Food would be...good," Riala admitted after a moment of consideration, nodding gratefully.She shifted a bit, trying to sit up further, and found herself leaning against the support he offered.

She gritted her teeth. She hated feeling weak.

Paladienne

Ann blinked as she leaned against him, but he didn't protest. He knew how hurt she was, and that she needed the help, even if she didn't want to admit it. But he wasn't about to ridicule her for it; rather, he simply helped her into a comfortable position and put the packet in her lap, open and ready for her to pick and choose what she wanted to consume.

"Just be careful chewing. Let the harder things rest on your tongue until they soften a bit. I know it'll be difficult, but we don't want you hurting yourself any further, right?"

He smiled at her, ruffling her hair in brotherly manner.

DragonSong

Riala scowled at him as she scooped up a handful of food. "I don't need you to tell me how to eat. I'm not an infant," she grumbled-- perhaps a bit more sharp than she really should be, but she was sore and feeling helpless. Neither of which were her favorite states of being.

Paladienne

Ann only laughed at her surly tone. He sat back and watched her, his lips twisted into a tiny smirk. She sounded like his younger sibling, always complaining that they didn't need any help doing anything, that they weren't a child, and that they were ready to be considered an adult by the tribe, even though they had yet to pass the tests and perform the rituals that would prove them an adult.

He understood that she was in pain and she was lashing out because she hurt and she felt as if she could do nothing without help. She was going to snap and snarl until she felt better, and that was okay. His presence here was to keep her safe until she healed and could move on her own. How long that would be was anyone's guess.

"Do as you please, then, Riala." Ann said with a slight laugh to his tone. "Just don't cry if you break your teeth or aggravate that bruise on your jaw."

DragonSong

"Mmph." She narrowed her eyes at him again, but didn't snap back-- he may have had a point.

After a few more careful bites, she noted softly, "You remind me of my cousin, a little." Ortec flicked his ears toward her, shifting his weight between his back hooves. "She does that too. Just laughs when I get cross with her."

Paladienne

"Your cousin?" Ann asked, pausing in his task of rifling through his bag. "I remind you of her, really? I suppose as comparisons go, it isn't so bad."

He looked away from her and toward the bag he was pulling items out of. He smiled, his head tilting to one side as he considered all the times that he'd simply laughed off his siblings' anger with him, or turned their angry into a joke that had both of them doubled over in laughter.

"I never wanted my siblings angry with me. At least, not when the trespass wasn't my fault, and not when it wasn't worth being angry over. I just always... laughed. Laughter seems to be the cure for most ills."

DragonSong

"Hm." Riala continued to eat in silence, her eyes occasionally flicking toward the entrance of their little alcove with some of the wariness of a hunted animal.

Ortec was more restless than his rider, pacing and huffing in irritation every few moments, tail flicking at nonexistent flies.

Paladienne

Ann flicked a glance at Ortec, sensing the stallion's restlessness. For a moment, he thought about rising to see if he could calm the horse, but Ma'akéné took the opportunity to whicker at Ortec, her own tail swishing back and forth, not in irritation, but rather slowly in a monotonous motion. She tossed her head, then half-turned her body until she was able to motion outside their hiding place. It was as if she were trying to tell Ortec that he could leave the safety of this small cave, and that he would be perfectly fine tending to his own needs while his human tended to her own.

Ann smiled, nodding slowly at Ma'akéné as she pranced sideways a little, first to the left and then to the right, as if trying to encourage Ortec to follow her. When he didn't, she snorted and stamped her hoof as if with irritation, then performed her strange little dance again, until she finally took a few steps back and vanished out of the entrance, letting the stallion do whatever he wanted.

Ann's smile grew wider. "My sister thinks your brother is incredibly overprotective, and that you won't suddenly turn into a foal barely able to stand if he takes his eyes off you for five seconds."

DragonSong

Riala chuckled tiredly as Ortec huffed and flicked his tail in irritation. He was still hovering, but it was clear he wanted to follow the mare-- well, that was in his nature, and she was baiting him.

Another snort and he trotted after Ma'akéné, nickering softly and tossing his head at her, almost showing off.

His rider rolled her eyes, shifting slightly to rest more comfortably against the little outcropping's wall. "He can be a nuisance, but he means well. He saved my life once, y'know."

Paladienne

"He's your brother and he's worried about you." Ann watched Ortec leave the hideaway, smiling. "But worrying about you all the time isn't healthy for him. He needs some time to relax himself. As do you. Besides, Ma'akéné will take care of him. She's pretty good at herding stubborn males."

He turned his attention to Riala then, his eyes on her face, watching her make herself more comfortable. There wasn't much by way of comfort in this place. Ann had never seen the point of making it livable. It had merely been a place he could run to when he needed to be alone for a little while.

"Would you like anything else?" he asked her. He wanted to make sure she was absolutely comfortable before he started trying to figure out how Riala had ended up how she'd ended up.

DragonSong

The rider shook her head, eyes still watching Ortec's back carefully. He seemed to be doing fine, now that he was out in the open air, but she couldn't help worrying about him. He'd run hard the day before, and while she was grateful-- for his speed had almost certainly saved her life-- she worried he might push himself too hard.

"No," she murmured after a few moments of quiet. "No, I don't need anything."

Paladienne

Ann nodded, accepting her words. He sat back and smiled as he watched Ma'akéné and Ortec outside the hideaway. His four-footed sister was keeping a watchful eye on the stallion, making sure that he wasn't doing anything too strenuous. She knew her own kind better than humans did, Ann was forced to admit. She would take care of him and make sure Ortec followed her lead, whether he liked it or not.

After letting the silence stretch for a handful of heartbeats, Ann turned his attention back to Riala, his head tilting to the side. "Are you feeling better now? What... what happened to you? You were... in a bad way when we were brought to you."

His tone of voice clearly invited her to share, but only if she chose to. He wouldn't push her if she didn't wish to speak.

DragonSong

Riala stiffened. She eyed Ann sidelong for a few moments, then sighed quietly and forced her shoulders just relaxed, just a bit.

"I was," she murmured, a sardonic twist to her lips with her agreement. "There was...someone overheard me let you go. He told my f-- he told the chief, and he commanded an honor circle. If I could fight my way out, I would take the beating as my only punishment."

She shrugged and looked away, drawing her knees toward her chest. "I couldn't fight my way out."

There was a long, heavy silence, then she sighed and let her chin rest on her knees. "We didn't used to do this. It's archaic, a practice from generations ago. But after my uncle died... The new chief has changed things."

Paladienne

Ann was quiet as he listened to Riala speak. It was obvious to him that she was withholding information, but he wasn't going to argue with her about it. She would tell him if she wanted to tell him. But what she had told him already made him clench his fists in his lap. He bowed his head for a minute, slowly breathing, and when he felt calm again, he unclenched his hands and rested them on his knees.

"I'm sorry that you had to go through that." he said, keeping his voice low. "You shouldn't have had to fight for your place. You could have killed me, and then you would have been safe. But... I thank you for sparing my life. I owe you a great debt for that. And for Ma'akéné."

He shifted to face her better, meeting her eyes. "What do you plan to do now? Will you move on and live on your own? Or will you try to return to your tribe?"

DragonSong

"Well, you don't owe me anything now. You've saved my life too-- we're square." Riala smiled a bit at him, then winced as the expression made her already aching jaw twinge in pain. Horse Lords, she was lucky that particular hit hadn't broken her jaw completely.

At his question though, her smile fell away. She hunched her shoulders forward slightly, eyes fixed on the ground. "I can't go back. Even if I had defeated the honor circle, I would've still been exiled. I'm lucky they didn't just sell me to Essyrn-- probably thought I'd die out in the plains if they just left me."

She shrugged and frowned at her feet. Papa... "I guess...that means I have to move on. Don't know where though." It was nearly impossible to survive on your own in the Serha Plains. It was why Dujhari lived in tribes in the first place. Loners simply didn't make it.

She glanced up, toward the entrance of the little cavern, where Ortec was currently prancing circles around Ann's sister, apparently trying to bait her into a playful chase.