Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Simple Solutions [Rhi!] [M]

Started by Draconian, February 06, 2023, 01:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

They were even now.

Raizel listened to Cadmus's heartbeat, the quick pounding that almost matched her own. She let his hands run over her back but it wasn't until he pushed her hair from her face that she felt comforted. Perhaps it was the state her back was in, that kept the touches from being truly soothing.

She further tucked her hair behind her ear, breath evening out. She caused the racing heart. The bleeding. Maybe it was deserved. Some quiet monster in the back of her mind, out for revenge for the betrayal. Even if the betrayal hadn't been intentional at all. Raizel didn't lift her head, instead she took his hand and pressed it to her cheek and closed her eyes again, just for a moment.

"I..." Raizel's voice croaked out and she was still a bit off from waking up having almost gutted her companion "yeah." She didn't want to get up or move, Cadmus was warm and despite the heartbeat under her ear sounding like a frightened rabbit, it was a comforting sound. But then her hand moved and the slick of his blood destroyed the haze of comfort.

The various things Albert had left were still on the bedside table beside Cadmus's side of the bed and Raizel sat up and leaned over him to grab some. Her hair was long enough to keep her modest when she was sitting up, but leaning over was a different story.

There was a wound to tend though, one she caused, so her breasts being out was just a matter of temperature control - of which it was not working and being in the sunlight was making her feel incredibly warm. Her hand was covered in blood, both dry and wet and she quickly wet a cloth before turning back to the wound.

Gently Raizel cleaned the slice, opening her mouth to talk but then shutting it again. "It wasn't you. In the dream," she started softly, wiping away the dried blood, she looked at his face and golden eyes before looking back down. "I'm... I think it was a memory, but it was like looking through fog. It felt like I knew who everyone was, but... I don't know them now." Raizel shook her head, then paused finally having a look about her like she was a wind-up toy whose winds had run out,a little lost,  little confused  "I didnt kiss you, Did I? I'm so sorry."

Rhindeer

As Raizel lay on him like a warm weighted blanket, Cadmus began to calm despite the fresh throb of a new wound. Raizel's vulnerability helped—it may have been his near death experience, and yet her tears, her panic, her genuine regret only made him want to...protect her.

Which was silly and he knew it. She was fully capable and competent. She didn't need protection—a moment ago, he had needed protection from her! Call him the world's biggest fool, but he wanted only to hold her until her trembling stopped and her tears dried, wanted to chase away whatever had frightened her enough to attack him. 

Stupid, stupid...

One hand against Raizel's cheek, the other one idly playing with her hair, he made a mental note that, going forward, he'd just have to remind Raizel to stow any weapons far, far from their sleeping spot. Just in case. Assuming they shared sleeping quarters again, of course, which seemed to have become a pattern—

He blinked down at the top of her head. Maybe that was being a bit presumptive.

Raizel moving dragged him out of his thoughts, and he watched her idly before he realized he had a full, unobstructed view of her breasts, and that he should probably look away. He had no issue with it; his people weren't weird about nudity like so many humans were, and while he appreciated the sight (scars and all, she truly was lovely), she might not appreciate him appreciating her. So he looked up at the ceiling instead, and tried not to think about where, exactly, she was sitting.

Fortunately, as she began to fuss with the wound, the discomfort helped with that.

He listened as she described the dream, selfishly relieved that it wasn't him that Dream Raizel was trying to murder. Murder and...

Yeah. The kiss.

Cadmus looked up at her, fighting back a wince. Oh. Right. Yeah. He had been so focused on, you know, the knife that everything else had tumbled out of his brain until she dredged it back up. 

Shit. "Uh..." Did he deny it and save her the mortification? No, that didn't seem right. He would have wanted to know, too, and he had done a bit too much lying. 

"You...did," he said slowly, but then anticipating a negative reaction, he snapped a look at her and held up his hands.

"It's okay, though! I didn't mind that part." Ah. Shit. "I mean, it was nicer than the stabbing part." That just sounded insulting now. Grimacing, he put a hand on her cheek, wiping away at the remnants of tears with his thumb.

"That came out wrong. Ah, I'm trying to say...it's fine. You had a nightmare, a really intense one from the sounds of it. You can't help that." He paused. "We'll just keep the knives far away in the future."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Draconian

When was the last time she'd had such a dream?

Raizel closed her eyes when Cadmus brushed away the last of her tears and she remained for just a moment longer. There was comfort in the warmth and the comfort almost stung, like warming up after being so cold for so long. The cold caused numbness, but once it started to thaw, the pain set in. A wry smile pulled at once side of her mouth when he suggested keeping knives away in the future. A little nod and she removed herself from her perch on her companions hips.

"Most things are nicer than being stabbed, I promise not to stab you anymore," she said, voice cracking while she carefully moved to stand up, putting weight on her bad ankle for a short moment before steeling herself and standing straight up. The pain was a limitation and she wasn't about to let herself be limited. "You should go back to sleep," She said over her shoulder softly before Raizel walked with careful steps to a bag against the wall. She pressed her hands to her face for a moment before she pulled out a tank top and pulling that on.

Sleep wouldn't come back. Her hands still shook slightly while she closed the bag, took a deep shuddering breath and looked to the window before getting up. "I'll... Get some food, I'm sure you're hungry." She glanced over her shoulder and smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes, "you can eat it when you wake up again." Raizel put a small pouch into her pants pocket before she took a steadying breath and started towards the door.

What was she going to do? Pain shot up her leg with each step but it did little than make her wince, Raizel too stubborn to let something like pain keep her from doing what she wanted. Which was leave the room. Running away completely wasn't an option anymore, there was a bed that was made and... Her hand pressed to her chest, her palm flat against her, and just felt her heartbeat. Why was her heart still pounding? Her cheek still tingled.  There was a singular moment, when she let herself think about what the kiss could have been like but that was quickly replaced by the dream.

"Stop it," she said out loud to herself before she pushed herself off the wall and limped her way down the hall and down the stairs. Raizel didn't return to the room for a half hour or so, double the set of steps echoed down the hall on the return trip, quiet voices, a deep chuckle. The door opened and Raizel entered with a tray in hand, as quietly as she could. Two mugs of black coffee and two bowls of some sort of stew, some bread.

She frowned at the bedside table and wrinkled her nose, having forgotten all the appropriate tray space had been taken over by wound-cleaning supplies. The floor it was. It was just one big flat seating place, anyway, and while it wasn't clean enough to eat off of, it was clean.

Raizel balanced carefully while she placed the tray on the floor and sat down, her wounded leg stuck out to the side, the other tucked under its knee, while she leaned back on her good arm and sipped the coffee. It was probably close to noon, maybe past, she hadn't asked Albert when she went downstairs. She just stole his food.

"If you're awake, I brought food. I'm assuming you can eat like a human, so sorry if coffee fucks you up." Her voice was soft, an attempt to let Cadmus still snooze if he'd fallen back asleep. Raizel didn't check, not sure if it was embarrassment or shame that kept her from glancing around for him. Even now, her eyes were downcast, watching the steam rise from the bowls.

Rhindeer

...Gods be damned.

Raizel left (or maybe fled?) the room with promises of breakfast, leaving Cadmus to stare up at the ceiling with no plans of going back to sleep. It was bright out, he was awake now, and he hadn't quite come down from the adrenaline rush. But more importantly, a new sort of anxiety had weaseled its way in because, despite everything, despite almost getting knifed, he couldn't help but worry that he'd said the wrong thing and chased her away.

But he would feel awkward following after her like some sort of puppy, and he hadn't made the best impression with that Albert fellow last night, so encountering him would also be awkward. It would also be awkward if she just flat out left him here entirely but...he could flee out the window if need be, like some sort of sneaky teenager. Ugh...

He rubbed both hands over his face to wipe away the sleep, then checked his freshly cleaned wound. She'd done a good job patching him up--it was lucky they had left over supplies! Hopefully it was the last time they would need them for a while.

Turning over in bed, Cadmus squeezed his eyes shut and tried to go back to sleep, just to pass the time, because that would be better than thinking and fretting. Had he made the right call by telling her or should he have saved her the embarrassment? And then he went and made that idiot remark. Was it possible to have secondhand embarrassment at yourself on top of the regular embarrassment? And why on earth did he care so much?

He was still cringing at himself when, to his surprise, Raizel returned. He pretended to be asleep as she entered (because for some reason, the idea of her knowing he'd been awake the whole time seemed worse somehow?), the scent of coffee and some sort of meaty stew wafting to him. It was only when she spoke that he stirred, sitting up with a soft grunt as his stiff muscles and wounds ached in protest. "Oh, thank you," he said, and hid a yawn behind a hand.

Stealing a glance at her, noting her downcast eyes, Cadmus hesitated a second before he slid down onto the floor next to her with his back propped against the bed. Just act normal, right? Everything was normal. She hadn't fled, she'd come back, they were still good, right? In any case, they couldn't both act awkward. Raizel was obviously still off from her nightmare, and kissing and almost killing someone without any awareness of your actions had to be...a lot to deal with.

So he picked up a mug of coffee and gave it a curious sniff. "I've never had coffee before," he said, and looked over at her. "Why would it 'fuck me up'? Is it like alcohol?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Draconian

"Wait, really?"

Raizel pushed her long dark hair over her shoulder and brought the cup to her lips, inhaling before taking a scalding hot gulp of her drink. It was bitter but the heat warmed her and she put the cup back down and sighed a little, most of it gone already. "It's like the opposite of alcohol. Wakes you up, kind of bitter," It was really bitter, but Cadmus could discover that if he chose to drink it "You're not... Human... So maybe Coffee won't agree with you."

She gave a pause, as if thinking before she took a bite of food, still not looking at him. Bowl in one hand, spoon in the other, half way towards her mouth before she looked up, a little puzzled, eyebrows drawing in. "Do you count as an animal," Raizel asked, looking at his lips briefly, "like... Did I kiss a man or a gryphon." Another kind of squinted look while she tried to ponder that out, "Is this like a frog and a toad? All toads are frogs?"

Raizel put her bowl down and brought the coffee back to her lips to take a sip while she pondered, not looking distraught but looking puzzled, her voice got quiet, if only because it was muffled slightly into her cup. "You're always a gryphon - the frog - but sometimes you're a man, the toad. So all man-cadmus's are toads and all toads are gryphons." Raizel tilted her head back and finished her coffee, placing it down on the tray and pulling her hair back into a quick tie-less braid to keep it out of her face and off her shoulders.

Another question flitted into her mind and out her mouth before she could think about it at all, "If you have babies, do they come out as eggs."

Rhindeer

Cadmus had just picked up the coffee, curious to give it a try, and had put it to his lips when Raizel said...

All of that.

He choked, half because the coffee was indeed hot and bitter, and half because she caught him SO off guard. Sputtering, he set the cup down and wiped at his mouth, coughing.

"Pardon?" he finally managed to wheeze.

For a few long moments, Cadmus could only stare at her, eyebrows raised, utterly dumbfounded as he tried to follow her train of thought. Frog...and...toad...? What...?

"Uh...well..." Strange frog and toad analogies aside (he thought he knew kind of what she was trying to say? Kind of?), the question was unexpectedly awkward—because it wasn't something he'd really given any thought to. Did he count as an animal? What kind of question was that? Who just asked someone if they were an animal?! And how did he think of himself? Holy gods, she just opened up a whole bucket of worms and threw in a little existential crisis with it, because...how...how did he identify exactly? He didn't really think of himself as human or animal. He was just, well, him. A gryphon, yes, but...

Carefully picking up the cup again, he took another sip of coffee. It was crazy bitter and burned his tongue, but he was so distracted he hardly noticed.

"I...guess you could think of it that way?" he said at last, head cocked in thought. "I mean, from my perspective, I'm always just me. Just in different shapes. I was a gryphon first—I think. I'm not actually sure. We can all change like this, so..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his neck as he found himself thrust into an unexpected 'chicken or the egg' scenario—literally. "You kissed a man-shaped me so I'd say right now I count as human." He shot her a look, making a face. "It's not like you kissed a dog or committed bestiality or something, if that's what you're worried about. I'm very human at the moment."

Why was he suddenly so defensive?

"And no, we don't come out as eggs. We, er, we birth our pups—ah, children?—live," he said slowly, and rubbed a hand over his face which felt strangely warm. Maybe from drinking hot coffee, he told himself. "But...right. I'm very much man right now. Or I guess frog, if we're using your example?"

Draconian

For a flash Raizel thought she'd greatly offended Cadmus, and half waited for the fall out. After he wiped his face she watched him go through the whole range of 'wait hang on's that she did and didn't want to say it, but was relieved at the comment that it wasn't bestiality. Raizel chewed on her lower lip and glanced him up and down while he explained and she nodded along, eating her food.

A small smile when he said pups at first and then she watched him confirm that currently, he was a human man. Sort of. "A toad," She corrected, the spoon in her mouth muffling her words, "The frog is the gryphon." Which made sense to her, after a fashion. It was also an interesting thing to think about, that he was always himself no matter what physical form he was in. Raizel could picture herself kindly kissing a beak, like one would nuzzle a cat or hug a dog, before she could picture herself kissing Cadmus the man. She looked across at him, at his lips and when she tried to picture it, it came up blank.

Raizel put the empty bowl down and brought a hand to her lips, tracing her index finger along her bottom lip before she cast her gaze down at the ground. Was she herself? She moved her hands to flex her fingers in front of her, did she have the same personality? The same morals? Was muscle memory the frog and the rest was the toad? The dream clung to the back of her neck and she ducked her head down and breathed.

If she remembered everything, who would she be? Raizel pressed her hands to her face before she sat up straight and then took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "We can't do anything until nightfall," she said, pausing and then looking at her ankle, "maybe not anything tonight either. Albert might have something better than 'rest'. I'll have to ask him." another moment and she gave a wry smile at Cadmus.

"You're free to do anything with your day," she said this carefully, almost a little hesitant because Cadmus getting up and leaving was a very real possibility - not that she would blame him. " I'll probably lay back down and read something until I fall asleep, being awake during the day is weird," a sort of tired-but-not-sleepy smile and Raizel stretched before rubbing her eyes with the backs of her hands, "No more daggers on the bed if you're still tired, I swear."

Rhindeer

"Right. Toad. My apologies," Cadmus repeated with a small smile that was half amused, half bewildered, because it made him think of those stories he'd picked up along his travels. Something something kissing frogs to turn them into princes. Except in no world was he rich.

He fell quiet as she did, finishing off the rest of his meal while he waited for the coffee to cool enough to give it another try. He ate the chunks of meat first and picked around the vegetables, then when there was nothing left he finally forced those down, too. They were less offensive in this form, cooked soft and coated in seasonings and meat juice, and he was getting more accustomed to them over time. But it was still a bit of an acquired taste for his kind.

Raizel had gone quiet. He assumed it was just because she was eating, too, and so he left her to it. It gave him some time to sort out his own racing thoughts; the frog and toad thing had been a humorous distraction, but once the topic quieted down he was left with...well...a hot mess of muddled thoughts. Like for one, what the fuck had just happened and why wasn't he as bothered about it as he probably should be, considering she could have killed him? The slight throb in his chest had joined the throb in his shoulder and back. There had been too many life or death moments in so short a time, and while he didn't want to die, in that moment he had just felt...resigned, that little voice in the back of his head whispering that he deserved it.

He rolled his shoulders as a little shiver went through him, and set the bowl down to check on the coffee. It was cool enough by then so he sipped at it, wrinkling his nose and brow at the flavor which was, yep, still bitter, but the taste occupied his thoughts. It was better to wonder why on earth humans liked this stuff than to ponder over his own weird thoughts about death, or why he felt strangely bothered by their conversation regarding his status as a human or animal.

Cadmus was still trying to puzzle it out as he sipped it again, because maybe it was like alcohol in that tasted like shit but made you feel a certain way until it stopped tasting like shit? But then Raizel broke the quiet and he looked over at her, glancing briefly at her lips before snapping his eyes back up to hers.

"Wait. This is supposed to wake me up, is it not?" he asked, blinking slowly as he waggled his coffee mug at her. "How will I go back to sleep then? And as for tonight, are you going to be ready for that?"

He frowned, flicking a look to her ankle. "We should consider seeking out a healer. You can barely walk on that, and I don't think a night and day's rest will change much there."

Draconian

The feeling like she needed to entertain Cadmus felt almost claustrophobic. What did she care if he snuck away again? Raizel looked at his cup and then nodded to his question about the purpose of coffee. Why was she so tired? Blue eyes flicked to her bag, the concoction of herbs hidden away that kept her up.

Raizel closed her eyes and looked down at her ankle, still wrapped up from the night before. "I'll ask Albert, he's kind of like you, y'know?" She tried to make a motion with her hand that appeared like feathers on her head, "He's not a real human man. Some sort of orange bi-" as if on cue, Albert pushed the door open, looking surprised at his own actions and gave a sigh of relief when the image of the pair registered before him.

"I was genuinely worried for a second I'd walk in to you two humping and let me tell you, I'm glad I didn't. Realized a second too late Raizel wasn't alone and she's usually sleeping right now," Albert sighed with relief, Raizel giving him a sneer, before he collected various used dishes and placed them on a small table in the hallway, he then stood in the doorway with his hands on his hips. "Let's see them," his voice was commanding, though not unlike a parent demanding to see bad grades. "The wounds," he waved his hand impatiently towards Cadmus to come stand before him first, "you had the most superficial ones and I apologize about the scratches yesterday."

Albert paused for a moment, "sometimes when I'm stressed or woken from a dead sleep," he glared at Raizel, "I'm extra prickly. Literally." Albert in the daytime was kind looking, flame bright hair held loosely in a tie over his shoulder, green and blue eyes, he smelled of fresh bread and sugary treats, "I'm going to heal you, by the way, is why I'm here, and collect your dishes."

Rhindeer

...Kind of like him? Cadmus cocked his head as she did her hand thing and explained that he wasn't a "real human man" (which did explain things, like the shoulder mauling for one) but as if summoned by his name, the not-man himself appeared. Without knocking, of course.

And while announcing...that.

Cadmus stared at him, eyebrows rising, and cleared his throat. No, that was definitely not a thought he had entertained, not a single damned time, especially not when they had been cuddling naked that one night. He had definitely never thought about it since then, either, and certainly not when she had straddled and kissed him with a knife to his chest. Because, you know, that would be pretty fucked up. 

He rolled his eyes toward the ceiling, drawing in a breath (the man was blunt, that was certain) until the man demanded to see his wounds.

Well, sure. Why not.

"It's fine. Really," Cadmus said as he turned so the scratches faced Albert, scabbed over now and healing. "You don't know me, and I did break into your home. By all rights, I can't blame you for defending yourself. You could have done worse and I'd have earned it."

Draconian

"It's fine, really" Albert mocked, moving closer before placing his hands on Cadmus's back. They were warm, though the pads felt a little too rough to be human. "You smell like Raizel, it's faint, but it's there, I should have been more cognizant of that. I doubt she would have brought an enemy to my door, especially wounded." Albert sighed and flexed his fingers against the warm skin of the other man, "Don't be alarmed, I'm not kissing you, but I kind of am? Don't think about it too hard."

He leaned down then, his red braid falling over his shoulder before Cadmus would feel the ghost of lips and hot breath on his back. It would be a weird warmth, there would be a soft light where Alberts head was at his back. Cadmus would feel his skin tighten at the scratches and the knife wound on his chest and if he were to touch them, they would be tender but healed. The flesh delicately stitched back together, a quick encouraged heal, flesh easily broken but healed none the less.

Albert stood up again, leaning back before he frowned at Raizel who didn't meet his gaze and just looked off to the side. She was seated, her good leg a prop for her arms before the red haired man kneeled down in front of her. "Raizel," Albert started, "I can only do so much. You know that. You're one person with a sword," his hair was more feathery now, his eyes looking more sharp and his features more angular. His emotions and his use of his abilities blurring the line between his selves.

He remained kneeled, lifting her leg and removing the wrapping. The skin was bruised looking and Raizel's fingers clenched against the floor, eyes squeezing shut while he poked and prodding at her ankle. "You're lucky this isn't worst," he frowned at her before he leaned down, foot and ankle in his hands. His mouth was closets to the bruise, his lower lip brushing skin, before he exhaled. It was like tendrils of gold and light left him, the longer he did it the more his hair went feathery.

His hands became clawed and after a few more breaths, the braid was a mix of feathers and hair. His pupils were slits in a sea of blue and his teeth were growing more sharp by the moment. Albert gently put Raizel's foot down when he was done, the bruise a gentle healed yellow. He rubbed his wrists like they were pained and he gave her knee a squeeze. "Be careful next time," he scolded before standing up looking between the two, moving to stand with his hands on his hips like a disappointed parent before he turned away and left. His job was done, he'd encouraged healing and took away their dishes.

Raizel remained quiet for a time, blinking like a scolded child. "Well," she said softly, glancing down and away, "I'm kind of sad he didn't catch us humping." Raizel teased before she stood up, testing her ankle gently before sighing with relief, eyes closing realizing now how much pain she'd been in. A sidelong glance at Cadmus and she gave a small smile, "He'll be prickly and feathery for the rest of the day," she looked back at the door, "I think healing takes a lot out of him." She pat her chest where she remembered half-stabbing Cadmus and then looked at her companion before walking over, "Did he get your chest too?"

Rhindeer

Someone clearly needed some coffee, Cadmus thought as Albert mocked him. Mocked him! Or rather, maybe he needed less coffee and more sleep. He stared at him, brow slightly furrowed, because the man was definitely prickly in every definition of the word, that was true—but there was something almost familial about the griping. Why did it feel like he was perpetually disappointed in them and why was that vaguely upsetting?

But then he was going on about kissing him, but also how it wasn't, and Cadmus felt his eyebrows rise again. They had been doing a lot of that in his presence.

Uhhh, pardon?

Albert was pretty enough that he'd certainly be into him if he were at a tavern and he gave him fuck-me eyes, but for some reason he felt himself cringe at the idea—not just because of the whole Disappointed Dad vibe, but because Raizel was right there and that suddenly seemed to matter quite a lot. He didn't even know why the thought of kissing someone in front of her seemed horrifying, because it definitely wasn't shyness, but there it was, inexplicable and strange. He shot a mildly alarmed look over at her as Albert moved in close enough that he felt his breath tickling his back and spreading goosebumps along his skin—but, thankfully, that was it. He felt the throbbing ache fade into almost nothing, and then it was done.

And he breathed out in relief. "Thank you," he said as he ran a hand over the healed flesh, lightly poking where it was still tender.

Then it was Raizel's turn.

Sitting on the bed, it was interesting to see the process from the other side. Interesting, but also...

Hrm...

The two of them were close, that much was obvious, and Albert genuinely cared for her. Cadmus had told himself it was familial, but as he watched the tender way he touched her as he breathed light onto her skin, and the way he squeezed her knee when all was done, he felt his chest tighten. There was true care in his eyes beneath the bluster. What was their relationship?

And wait...why was he focusing so hard on that? Why had he tensed up as he watched?

There was no way he was jealous.

Albert left with their dishes, and Raizel spoke—and Cadmus jumped, realizing abruptly that he had been all up in his own head. He startled a little, more of a twitch of his shoulders, and it took a second to process what she'd just said. He snorted.

"I mean, we sort of were, if he'd come in just a few minutes sooner," he said, and then winced as soon as the words left his mouth. Too soon? Wait. What did she mean she wished they were...?

But she was already up and moving, already changing the subject in true Raizel fashion. That seemed to be her way; say something completely off the cuff and then move on like she'd said nothing of the sort at all. Lips quirked in a tired smile, he tapped his chest.

"Good as new," he said. "It's almost like you'd never tried to murder me. What about you? Ankle all kissed better?"

Draconian

Cadmus got a sharp ice blue eyed look with an unamused smile and a quirked up eyebrow. "You're right, I suppose there was some penetration," her voice was dry as she went around the room, testing her ankle and giving a sigh before looking at the door and pulling a face. She didn't understand how Albert's particular brand of magic healing worked, but she'd had enough of it and seen him birdy enough to know it took a lot out of him. Raizel pushed her hair over her pointed ear and gave her ankle another test.

"Looks worse than it feels," she said simply, pushing her hands through her hair and sighing. There was so much to do and so little time to do it, "do you think they'll move?" Raizel said simply, folding her arms over her chest, "your previous employers," she clarified. Her hand went to her face and she pressed her index finger to her lips, "We can only assume they did. We should be going as soon as possible, I doubt anyone is expecting a miraculous Phoenix recovery." She tapped her lip some more "unless you're tired. I sleep during the day and usually I dont have guests I try to stab in the heart while I'm doing that, so today kind of got fucked up."

Raizel paced the room, mind going a million miles a minute. Her posture was ridged, shoulders squared, gaze stoney. "Everything is wrong." Now that she wasn't in so much pain she could focus on other things now, "still can't believe you of all people work with thieves and bandits. Honestly I'm surprised you're not a librarian or priest or something." She waved a hand at Cadmus, "aside from that," she motioned to the scar on his neck, "you're very... I dunno. Gentle looking."

Rhindeer

Oooof, there was that icy death glare, likely the last thing many a criminal saw before their end. Right. Too soon for that joke. Duly noted!

Raizel was all business again as she worked out her ankle, and Cadmus sobered up as well as she fired off her thoughts. He nodded or shook his head at her questions: yes they would move, no he wasn't tired (it seemed the coffee was working, because he was starting to feel restless and jittery), and then—

She kicked his legs right out from under him, as she was wont to do.

Gentle?! Him? A librarian...a PRIEST?! WHAT? Cadmus clapped a hand to his chest as though mortally wounded and choked out a laugh, utterly blindsided by that one and not quite sure how to take it.

"Ouch!" he gasped. "Damn. Now I know you're still pissed at me—which, by the way, I'm not saying I don't deserve it because I absolutely do." He scrubbed a hand up and through his hair, shaking his head, and flashed her a self-deprecating smile. "I didn't realize you could kill a man without even touching him." 

But mortal wounds of the emotional sort aside, there were questions beneath the barbs. He mulled it over for a second, leaning back on his hands, and sighed. 

"Anyway, looks can be deceiving, I suppose. You don't particularly look like a dangerous vigilante who could kill a man ten ways before he knows he's dead. Put you in a dress and you could be an elven princess. An athletic one, but still."

He rubbed absently at the side of his neck, tracing where the scar ended, head cocked to the side. "I guess we don't always end up where we thought we would, or where we should," he said quietly, and shrugged. "It really only takes a few mistakes or twists of fate. Long story short, I got into trouble and I fell in with the wrong crowd, and that's all it took. I'm not good at much else and...well...it just became routine." Oh gods, he sounded like such an absolute dick.

He winced. "I don't agree with everything they do!" he said quickly.  "And...I was looking for a way out...because of that. Like I said, I don't feel any loyalty toward them. I guess playing attack dog was just...comfortable after a certain point."

Draconian

There was a twinge of guilt that bubbled in her throat when Cadmus reacted to her. Raizel listened quietly to the explanation and it took her a moment to remember that he wasn't human.  Why would he have human morals? She was lucky that they weren't just all snacks. There was a moment when her mind drifted and she pondered if she could beat up a Gryphon.

Raizel looked down at him and felt herself deflate a little. A few mistakes and twists of fate. "I'm only a little sorry for what I said, aside from taking it as an insult I do think you have a very easy-going gentle presence, I promise you're not priestly" she said quietly, sinking down beside Cadmus on the ground, leaning back so their shoulders touched. "I suppose I can sympathize with twists of fate fucking your life up," Raizel took a deep breath and sighed, "though I doubt you 'not being good at much else'. If I could comfortably exist on a farm growing crops and raising animals I would." Raizel looked down at her feet, wiggled her bruised ankle and moved her arms so she could fully lay on the floor, resting her hands on her ribcage.

"Something hounds me though and I can't figure out what it is," Raizel closed her eyed and sighed, "That feeling like something is watching you. Always. But every time you look it's gone."

Rhindeer

That wasn't so bad. Easy-going gentle presence? He could accept that. It was better than "chaste holy man energy" and certainly better than "bloody monster" or something like that. A nice middle ground. His lips quirked in a smile and, relaxing, he let himself lean against her as she settled in next to him, secretly relieved by the contact.

"Ah, that's an idea. Farming. If you handle the vegetables I could handle the animals?" he offered with a playful nudge, knowing full well it would never work. Prey animals tended to be nervous around him—understandably, they could likely smell what he really was. Horses tried to kick or bite him and he was certain any cow would try to gore him if he got too close. Besides, he doubted that either one of them was cut out for the lifestyle.

His side got a little chilly suddenly as her warmth faded, and he peered down at her as she got comfortable on the floor. And then said, so casually, something that made him stiffen.

"What do you mean? Do you think you're being stalked?" Cadmus asked, eyes sharpening with concern. "Or do you mean that more figuratively?"

Draconian

The mental image of Cadmus wearing a hat and plain muddy clothing sprung into her mind when he mentioned splitting farming duties. Rough hands. Sunburnt cheeks. Head in for the day to a warm meal and drinks. A sweet tender kiss by candle light before going to bed. Raizel was still making a face at herself, the mental image lingering when Cadmus asked her about her spine tingling feeling and stalkers.

"I didn't notice when you were doing it," she pointed out, looking up at him from on the floor, a small smile, "but you were literally born with 'stalking prey' as part of your existence, I imagine." She sighed and closed her eyes, trying to visualize anything. But it was simply darkness. "You know that feeling, when you experience something but it feels like you've done it before? Or when you're trying to think of a word you know you know, but it just isn't coming to you?" Raizel lifted her hands up, making a frame with her thumb and index fingers and she framed the sunlit ceiling, "I don't think I'm being stalked. But it feels like I am. Just this little lingering feeling of something not being quite right, or maybe I'm just chasing after a ghost of myself and creeping myself out in the process."

There was a moments pause and her face tightened and as quickly as she had laid down on the floor she was back up again, resting a hand on Cadmus's shoulder "do you remember much from your childhood?" Raizels eyebrows went up and she smiled slightly her eyes took on a devilish glint, "if you'd been a baby bird at one point is that how your parents fed you? Little baby bird?" To get the whole idea across, Raizel demonstrated with her hands.

Rhindeer

Oh...

There it was again, that sharp spike of guilt as he remembered how he had hunted her, before he had realized it was her. It had been rather easy, but humans made for easy prey—a thought which made his stomach twist the instant it rolled through his head, because perhaps on some level that had always been part of the draw. It was easy work...and it came naturally to him. It satisfied a primal instinct he couldn't otherwise exercise in the middle of the city.

He swallowed, wetting his suddenly dry throat as a flash of memory went through his mind, the memory of how close Raizel had come to death. Because of him. The idea of anyone harming her made him ill, so what happened when that "anyone" was him?

It was a relief at least to know he'd been the only stalker, as twisted as that was, and that this new one was more ephemeral. Haunted by a ghost of herself? He chewed the inside of his cheek, studying her as she spoke, remembering the way she'd held the knife to his chest as she choked him and kissed him. She'd seemed so angry, so hurt. And those scars on her back, those angry, violent things that looked like they may have once attached wings, or like someone angrily carved the shapes of them into her flesh...

Something had happened to her, something sick and awful and violent.

What happened when she did remember? 

Were some things better to forget?

He nodded thoughtfully, understanding how strange nostalgia for things that had never happened could be—but he had no real frame of reference for what she was going through. It would be maddening not knowing who you were—but what if it was her body's way of protecting her?

He didn't voice that, though. He couldn't imagine she hadn't already agonized over those ideas herself. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I can't imagine how frustrating that is—and scary."

As for him? He had the privilege of having all his memories, lucky for her and her curiosity! And true to Raizel, she didn't beat around the bush when it came to asking the important things. Cadmus sputtered—LIKE A BABY BIRD?!—and he met her devilish look with laughter that was half exasperated, half embarrassed as she demonstrated.

Oh gods.

"No! No no, not like that! There was no...just no," he wheezed. "I mean, they fed me but they didn't...they didn't..." He cleared his throat, "...vomit into my mouth, no." 

He sat up straighter, slightly flushed, unable to believe he was explaining this. After spending so much time among humans and away from his kind, it felt strange even to him. "Our beaks are soft at birth. They don't harden for some time, so we nurse until then. If you must know." He shifted a look away. "I don't remember that part, but I have a lot of childhood memories. Running around outside, playing with the others, trying to fly and failing, shifting for the first time..."

He frowned. "My mother. My sister..." He shrugged. "There's good and bad."

Draconian

The sympathy was accepted and tucked away, but her grin only grew wider and she let out a chuckle when he started to explain. He seemed so out of place, explaining himself and she grinned the whole while. Trying to imagine some large eyed, big talon and pawed baby gryphon.

Raizel pressed her leg to Cadmus's and tilted her head, shuffling over to rest it on his shoulder, "I take it you aren't very close anymore?" She voiced, looking towards him. Though she wasn't sure if it was normal to run around as a people, she herself couldn't recall ever seeing a gryphon before him.

The talk of family made her ponder if she had her own. There had never been a tingle of recognition when she saw faces. No recognition for buildings or architecture, "Do you miss them?"

Rhindeer

"You...could say that," Cadmus said slowly, leaning his head against hers and letting another wave of tension wash out with his breath. "You know. Politics, jealousy." He glanced up at the ceiling. "You really can't escape it. Every group has its hierarchies, from the smallest ants to the most advanced cities, and it ruins everything, but..."

He sucked in a breath, the sound slightly shaky, and curled an arm around her waist, hand resting lightly on her hip. "I miss them everyday," he said, and let his breath out sharply. 

"Actually, you know what? Maybe that's an idea. You want your memories, I don't want mine. Trade?"

And he lightly bumped her leg with his, glancing sidelong at her with a crooked smile.