Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Research Projects [Bluuuuuue!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 13, 2023, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Moon lilies. House noodle dish. Gotcha!" Kyran said, rising to his feet. "Thank you! I'll see you again soon, then! Two days, don't forget!"

Because Kyran sure wouldn't.

The next two days passed without incident. Kyran wisely kept his discoveries to himself and worked his father's shop as he usually did, handling the front end duties, cleaning up, taking peoples' money and details, while his father took care of the important things. His father was a tailor, quite skilled at his craft, but Kyran had no talent for it. Of course, his father also had the advantage of magic helping him out and Kyran had inherited none of that gift.

It seemed his mother's genes were dominant.

He had let his father know he had an appointment for the day of their meeting and would be busy come noon, and though his father wasn't exactly thrilled to be running the shop alone, he let him take off. Kyran had carefully planned things out so that he could give himself enough time to hit up two very important destinations beforehand: the florist down the road from his shop, and the noodle house near the library.

Moon lilies, as it turned out, were more common than their exotic-sounding name let on. Apparently they were just a kind of wild flower! He secured a small bouquet of them and, on second thought, bought a small vase as well. Padca's study was seriously lacking in greenery and the man didn't really look like he got outdoors much (no one who wore all white was going outside much), so there was nothing better than bringing the outdoors in to freshen and brighten things up!

Next was the noodle place. He had brought his own wooden bowls from home so he could take the food with him, and as he watched the worker scoop noodles into one of them, he was seriously concerned and impressed by the amount of red that went into the dish. Were those...peppers? Hopefully he was getting the right thing and not about to kill Padca, he but asked the worker there several times to confirm THAT was the 'house noodle dish' and they insisted it was.

Alright, then...

He ordered something far more tame for himself. Unfamiliar with the cuisine (Thanati may not be popular in Serendipity, but the place was doing surprisingly well--seemed people were willing to put aside bigotry for good food), he got a simpler dish for himself, some sort of noodle dish with a savory brown sauce, but only after confirming it was not at all spicy. Mission accomplished, the only challenge then was balancing two bowls loaded with food plus a small vase filled with flowers--but he managed. Vase tucked under his arm, bowls balanced in his hands, he headed for the library.

Unsurprisingly, he got a strange look from the lady working the front desk, who also eyed the food warily. After all, that was kind of a big no-no for a place filled with things that food-smeared fingers should not be touching. When he clarified he was there for Padca, her eyebrows only rose higher as her eyes flicked to the flowers tucked under his arm. After a long pause, however, she rose and bade him to wait, adding a sharp, "And don't touch anything!" before she wandered off to fetch Padca.

And so Kyran waited, balancing his gifts awkwardly and shifting his weight from one leg to with a little impatience (he hadn't thought this through very well, and the bowls were actually kind of uncomfortably warm) and a little anxiousness. Hm. Was he coming on too strong? Was this weird? He figured he should bring a gift since he was doing something so nice for him! But he also knew (perhaps belatedly) that sometimes people could take his actions as him being...well...weird. But he was just trying to be nice!

...Okay, and maybe a little flirty.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Two days passed by as though in the blink of an eye, eaten up by his new fixation. He addressed just about everything he'd written in his notes during his impromptu 'interview', and the various books and scrolls he'd wanted to reference had been located, read, and then organized by relevance and usefulness.
Of course, he still had his actual duties to attend to, but as much of his work was done without any real supervision (just intermittent updates on his findings) he was free to prioritize other ventures within reason.

And so the day of their 'appointment' arrived, and Padca's desk had a new stack of paper and tomes just waiting for Kyran's arrival. Not one to waste time with inane things like pacing uselessly, Padca had instead gone to organize one of the occult sections to pass the time - and to see if any other books might grab his attention.
This is where the front desk worker found him, though her frown could possibly rival his own as she looked deeply unimpressed while relaying the message that Padca's 'guest' had arrived. He took a moment to squint at her, wondering if it was worth asking if her demeanor was due to said guest or something else, but he quickly discarded the idea and instead gave her a curt nod before making brisk strides toward the library's foyer. He supposed he would find out soon enough for himself if Kyran was the cause.

He stopped short of his goal upon actually catching sight of Kyran - or rather, his full arms. What on earth - was that FOOD?? With the intensity of his frown growing exponentially, Padca jerked back into motion and closed the gap between them on stiff legs.
"Kyran."
He stalled out, completely at a loss for what to address first as his eyes flicked from one bowl (house special by the shade of red alone), to the other (some other dish), to the vase and its flowers (were those moon lilies??), and then finally back up to Kyran's face where he could only stare incredulously at him. For once his eloquence fled him in the face of his bewilderment.
"Why?"

Rhindeer

Ah, there he was!

Kyran at first beamed at Padca's approach, certain he would be pleased by his gift. But then his smile slipped when he caught his expression--frowning and growing frownier still, his movements stiff.

Not quite the reaction he had expected!

The curt use of his name like that made him twitch, reminiscent of all the times he had gotten in trouble for breaking some rule he didn't even realize was a rule. Erk! While his mind raced to figure out what hidden faux pas he'd committed, he followed Padca's gaze as the man eyed his offerings, and then met his incredulous stare head on.

That sinking feeling only grew, and he resisted the urge to wilt.

"Why not?" Kyran asked, blinking in genuine confusion. He glanced down at the flowers and then at the too-red dish--and his face fell with crushing realization.

"Oh...oh no. I got the wrong one, didn't I? I asked the guy several times if this was the right one! The house special, right? Was that it? Aw, maaaan. I thought it was off! There's no way any human's eating that many peppers! I'm so sorry! I'll take it back! What was the one you liked called again?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

Padca blinked rapidly like he'd just received a blow to the head, all his impressive brainpower grinding to a halt in the face of...whatever this was.
Frankly he'd expected this to be some sort of prank (of which he'd been on the receiving end of too many in his youth), or perhaps if he were feeling more generous it would be a complete lack of understanding of the proper library etiquette (food, really!).

What he did NOT expect was for Kyran's face to fall quite like that - it immediately twisted something inside Padca, making him wince. He was fairly confident that he was right to be irritated, and yet now he just felt rather terrible about it??

Helplessly, Padca opened and closed his mouth a few times, like a fish gasping for water - he may as well be a fish out of water for all he understood what to do in this situation. For some reason Kyran was crushed about the noodles and it was as if they were speaking two different languages - although frankly Padca would at least be able to handle that better than whatever bizarre mishap was happening here.

Finally Padca simply held up one hand to cut off any further fretting over the damn noodles, the other coming up to pinch at the bridge of his nose tightly. Okay. Just...forget about understanding whatever disconnect this was, and focus on not making a further scene at the forefront of your place of employment.
"Let's...just head to my office first. Then we can address...all of that."
He didn't really know where to even begin and so gave a flappy motion at Kyran's everything, then turned on his heel to lead the way back to hallway that would lead to some privacy if not peace.

He considered as he walked: Last they'd spoken Kyran had asked, inexplicably, after his favored food and flower. He now had both in his possession - Padca was entirely unsure as to WHY he chose to do this, but he could...err...well, perhaps view it as a kind gesture?? It was a bit off the mark but it was not uncommon to bring gifts for your host or as thanks, so perhaps Kyran was attempting similar in gratitude for his help?
He cast around for other probable answers, but frankly could not come up with any. By the time they were both finally hidden behind closed doors, Padca had resigned himself to being confused but grateful for the gesture.

Taking a fortifying breath, Padca turned around to face Kyran and his bizarre collection of gifts (??) again.
"I...apologize. I did not intend to be rude regarding your...gifts. I simply...well to be honest, I was blindsided by the audacity of bringing food into a library. I should not need to tell you that food is forbidden in a place full of delicate books and paper like this."
He realized with some horror that he'd grown sharp again at the end, despite trying to be genuine. With a sigh his shoulders relaxed and he had the good grace to look properly sheepish about his behavior.

"I apologize, again. I believe you are trying to do something kind for me, and I am not being very grateful. Whatever misunderstandings aside, I...I do appreciate the effort you went to, at the very least. You did, in fact, get the correct dish and...and even the correct flowers."
He gave a sort of confused little smile as he looked down at the vase tucked under Kyran's arm.
"I would not have expected to see them in a proper vase of all things, they're practically weeds they grow so wild."

Rhindeer

It was, indeed, like they were speaking two different languages, and it wouldn't be the first time Kyran had faced something like this--nor the last! He stared at Padca as Padca gaped wordlessly at him, but finally Padca broke the awkward silence.

...All of that?

All of what?

All of him? Because that looked like he'd motioned to all of him.

Thoroughly baffled and now even more concerned that he'd committed another social sin in an ever-growing mountain of social sins, he followed after the man while running through a list of possible mistakes. Was it the noodles? He hadn't confirmed they were incorrect, but then again he hadn't said much at all! Maybe he'd already eaten? Or something else?

It was the ever-nebulous something else that worried him. He searched for answers as they walked but came up blank, which left him only with a sense of growing anxiety tightening slowly in his belly. Padca had barely batted an eye learning that he was dealing with a literal sex demon, and yet some noodles and flowers rendered him speechless. What was there to address?

Stupidly, he wondered if he was in trouble--until he reminded himself that he was a bloody adult!

Finally back in the study, Kyran braced himself as Padca faced him, holding his breath and preparing for the worst, though he was clueless to what that could be.

...eh?

Audacity...of...bringing food? Wha--oh. Oh. Kyran glanced past Padca to his desk and all the papers and books scattered across it in an incomprehensible mess (he had been so nervous last time that the mess hadn't even registered!) and his eyebrows rose in dawning comprehension. Library. Books. Lots of paper everywhere. Messy noodles. Right. Yes. He supposed he could see how that could be...problematic, and of course now that it was pointed out to him, it seemed so obvious. Wincing, face heating in embarrassment for having to, indeed, be told that was forbidden, when he looked back at Padca he was surprised to find that the man looked as sheepish as he felt.

Padca was apologizing again. Wait a second. Kyran's eyes narrowed a little as though trying to solve a puzzle. Oh goodness, he was so confused, but it seemed Padca got the gist of it now? Maybe? And he'd gotten the food and flowers correct after all? That was a relief, though he wasn't sure how to feel about the flowers getting compared to weeds! They were pretty! Was it weird to get a vase for them?

Completely thrown off balance, he searched for the correct words. "Er, it's okay! Really! I, uh, I didn't know about the food thing, sorry! This is my second time here, I don't really....read. Anyway, I just thought, you know, you've been so nice and you might be hungry and if this takes a while--wait." He paused, raking his eyes over Padca slowly. "If food's not allowed, how do you...? Do...librarians not...eat...?" The man was slender, yes, but a far cry from emaciated. He didn't look like he skipped too many meals.

"Well. You should eat. Here!" he said, and pushed the bowl into Padca's hands without giving him time to protest. With a hand freed up, he started shuffling some of the papers on the desk to free up enough space to set the vase onto it. "They'll need water, but hey, look, they look good in here! Do you like them? OH CRAP."

Kyran smacked his forehead, one thought jumping to the next with a fresh, stupid realization. "I didn't bring utensils!"

Blue

Padca's face did...something at Kyran's admission that he didn't read, but he smothered it as quickly as he could. While that genuinely pained him to hear, he knew better than to let his tongue run away with commentary. While he was of firm belief that everyone ought to read, he was also aware enough to know not everyone COULD - and for a variety of reasons, at that. Even if his master (repeatedly) expounded that 'simply not wanting to' was as valid a reason as any other, to Padca's endless bafflement.

Well, he was back to being just as baffled in the here and now as Padca continued to say entirely incomprehensible things. The sentence, the words, made sense but what on EARTH was he talking about??
"Wh...what-"
Then there was a bowl being pushed toward him, which he jerkily grabbed with gloved hands to keep it from ending up on his clothing or the floor should he fail to do so.
"Of-of course I eat, I do not live here-"

Turning around to track Kyran's whirlwind movement, he was unable to do anything to halt the partial destruction of his desk's contents, still befuddled into ineloquence and holding a bowl of noodles awkwardly in front of him. Kyran's shout made him jerk, wide eyes swinging up to watch Kyran smack his own forehead...only to hear him lament the lack of utensils.
What...
How...
....????

Confused to the point of helplessness, Padca suddenly snorted. He immediately pressed his lips as tightly together as he could, but his shoulders began shaking immediately after as he desperately attempted to hold back the somewhat hysterical laughter building up in him. Another snort escaped him, shivering with it until he bent over and a peel of giggles burst out of him. Still holding that damn bowl of noodles, he laughed so hard he cried, tears running down his flushed cheeks as he tried to suck in air enough to speak.
"What...what kind of -heehee!-absurd creature is -pffft- is in my office r-r-right now??"
Another burst of laughter and then he was wheezing and giggling and trying to wipe his cheek against his shoulder somewhat uselessly.
"I don't...I have never been so...what on earth, do I not eat he says?? I-I'm not a plant! Hahaha...wildflowers in-in a vase with no water...and...not a single utensil! I cannot...Ohhh...hehehe...I haven't laughed that hard in ages...ah gods..."

Finally he seemed to regain his senses, breathing slowly as he clutched his stomach with one gloved hand, the other finally depositing the poor noodles on a clear surface before he really did drop the damn thing. Bracing himself against the desk, he could only stare up at Kyran with still-watery eyes and a bewildered sort of smile.
"Can...we please start this interaction over again? Just...start from the beginning and explain to me in detail why you are here with two bowls of noodles, wildflowers in an empty vase, and no utensils? Please I...I promise I am not poking fun I am just desperately confused."

Rhindeer

He had broken the man.

At first, Kyran thought his silent shaking might be anger, and his mind raced with a fresh wave of panic. Oh, he had done it now, hadn't he? Food in a forbidden place, weeds for flowers, no utensils! The man must think him some sort of idiotic barbarian! Go him, shaming humans and demons in one fell swoop! He stared at Padca in horror, watching his attempt at impressing and wooing the man go from bad to scorched earth. And the worst part of it all? It didn't seem like it would be improving anytime soon.

Kyran opened his mouth, searching desperately for a solution, or an apology, or something

And then Padca broke the silence--with a fit of giggling.

Giggling?!

The man actually giggled!

"I...wha...huh...??" It was Kyran's turn to be utterly baffled as the man curled over and laughed helplessly. He watched Padca, blinking rapidly as he tried to make sense of what was happening, mind and body braced for an anger response that never came. The genuine laughter was such a stark, unexpected contrast from the stiff and frowny countenance he'd come to expect, shaving years off his features and turning him into a brand new person--a person with HUMOR buried beneath the furrowed brows. And between the breathless wheezes and giggles came some clarity:

Kyran had managed to fail so spectacularly it was...kind of almost a win? In a way? Maybe??

Confusion bled into giddiness, and Kyran's lips twitched. Absurd creature? HE WASN'T A PLANT? Oh dear gods, is that...is that how he sounded...? He clapped a hand over his mouth as a startled laugh escaped him in a sharp burst, and though he tried hard to fight it, especially since his own stupidity was the punchline, it was hard. Padca''s laughter was contagious (was he CRYING?) and not even he could deny how ridiculous it all sounded when Padca said it like that! Caught somewhere between flustered as all hell, relieved, and greatly amused, he burst into laughter muffled by his hand--though his carried a slightly panicked edge to it because oh dear gods, he didn't embarrass easily, but this was so embarrassing!

He was breathless by the time Padca regained control and asked for a do-over, flushed pink clear to the tips of his pointed ears. Nodding helplessly, he sucked in a shivery breath as he tried to control himself but kept his hand pressed to his mouth as though he didn't trust himself not to lose it again.

"Yes, please, can we just...scratch this whole thing from the record?" he said with a sheepish grin, and quickly pushed away some papers to clear space for his own bowl. He paused for a moment, groping for words, mentally scrambling backwards to the beginning to retrace his steps to where it had gone all wrong. In detail, he said...?

He cleared his throat and took another deep breath, rubbing his hand over his too-warm face. "Okay! So! You've been super nice and didn't turn me in and you're helping me for free basically so I wanted to do something nice! Like, you know when you go to someone's house and you bring over food to share because it's nice and they're feeding you, too? Yeah, that! Except for the flowers, the flowers were supposed to be flirty because you're cute except they're apparently weeds but they're still pretty and this place needs some freshening and—" He was running out of air. He paused to fill his lungs again.

"Yeah. So I wanted to bring you gifts! As thanks! So I got the flowers and figured you'd need something to put them in because I didn't see anything here, so I got a vase, but I didn't wanna carry it with water because it'd spill. Then I got the noodles and I remembered the bowls but for some godsforsaken reason I forgot utensils!" With a pained grimace, he scratched the back of his neck. "I, uh, guess I was excited...?"

Sighing in exasperation, because this was hardly the first time he had utterly botched something, he flopped down into the armchair and slouched in defeat. "So anyway, I kind of ruined everything, buuut..."

He looked up at Padca and offered up a small smile. "...Maybe it was kind of worth it? You've got a nice laugh, you know. It's cute."

Blue

It would seem Kyran had a habit of speaking increasingly quickly, as though trying to squeeze everything in his brain out in one breath - at least this time Padca could follow along, sorting through the information even if it was essentially being crunched together and shot at him at high speeds.
By the time his guest was done, Padca was elucidated but unsure how to feel about it - it was both more and less baffling than he expected. He hadn't been incorrect in his assumption that it was meant as a gesture of gratitude, but it was also not entirely correct either (flirty?? He supposed giving flowers was a traditional step in courtship, but was that something you should do for another man you hardly know??)

Looking down at Kyran's slumped form with gentle puzzlement still tugging on his expression, it was once again quickly pulled into a frown at that last comment. It was a knee-jerk reaction, eyes quickly flicking away from Kyran's flushed face and small smile to stare hard at his desk instead. This did not help his uncertainty on how to feel - frankly he wasn't sure that even someone better versed in inter-personal interactions would know what to do with all this. Part of him immediately prickled, unsure if he was being made fun of, if this was something he was meant to just 'brush off' and laugh about (not that he had ever understood such a thing). Who was cute?? What was so nice about snorting and nearly choking on air, turning red and crying?? At the reminder, he dabbed at the damp, red edges of his eyes with a gloved hand - for once they were serving a purpose aside from shielding him from contact with others.

He wanted to be annoyed, to lash out, because it felt safest - he knew that song and dance well, knew how to keep people at a distance. Unfortunately he couldn't quite shake the feeling that Kyran had been, at all points, wholly genuine in his intentions. It also didn't help that when he became dejected he looked troublingly similar to a kicked puppy or the like - Padca found he really did not like being the one to cause such a reaction.
It was difficult being soft rather than sharp, trying to meet Kyran half way, the words awkward as he tried to pick the right ones.

"You...did not ruin anything. Your reasoning was...sound, I suppose, despite the...hiccups in execution. Utensils can be found, water can be added to the vase - the gesture was kind, so thank you. And...I..."
He let out a heavy sigh through his nose, as his mouth was currently pressed tightly together. He honestly looked a bit like he'd sucked on a lemon, but he was also blushing slowly over his nose. Despite his chilly demeanor he had manners drilled into him and he was trying to be kind despite feeling terribly wrong-footed.
"...thank you for...the compliment."

Rhindeer

It wasn't ruined? This could be fixed? 

The relief was crushing after all that silence. Kyran let out a soft sigh and visibly relaxed into the chair. Okay, good, this was salvageable and...and he supposed he had also learned a few lessons, chief among them that food in libraries was apparently not a thing. No wonder the lady at the desk had been giving him the stink-eye!

Meanwhile, Padca had shifted through a very subtle kaleidoscope of expression—from puzzlement, to frowny surprise, to now looking like he's tasted something very bitter even though he was blushing? He was a little difficult to read, which was not helped by the redness in his eyes even though that had been from mirth.

Kyran waved a hand. "You don't have to thank me—it's genuine! Uhh, sooo..."

With a sheepish smile, he jerked his chin toward the gifts on the table. "Awkward mishaps aside...do you like them? Are they okay? It's okay to say no—oh, wait. We were supposed to be starting over, right?"

Straightening up in the chair, he cleared his throat and held his hand out to a Padca. "Hi! I'm Kyran. And I come bearing gifts! A token of my gratitude for, uh...teaching me demon stuff and whatnot?"

Blue

Padca blinked down at Kyran, a little bemused at being taken so literally - well, perhaps that was best anyway given their first interaction not being much better honestly. It was even a little charming, perhaps?
...it really did not benefit him to find this half-demon charming.

Besides, he now had to (quickly) decide what to do about the extended hand. Ordinarily he staunchly avoided this - and was not afraid to tell others no. Despite this, he worried that refusing Kyran's handshake after such a rocky start would once again cause him to deflate and resemble that pitiful puppy.
Ah, but they were meant to be 'starting over', right? And perhaps, in the interest of trying to avoid MORE misunderstandings, he ought to just be upfront...
Ahh, books were so much easier...

Clearing his throat, Padca carefully folded his hands back behind him and gave Kyran a small bow.
"Well met Kyran, I am Padca. Thank you very much for the gifts - they are my favorites. I apologize for any offense given, but I prefer to avoid handshakes."
Speaking of the gifts, he eyed them critically for a moment before turning on his heel and striding right out of the study. He was not gone long before returning, leaving the door carefully ajar.

"I have called for someone to bring water and utensils - it is a bit of an odd request so it may take a moment to arrive."
Worries about the temperature and texture of their food would have to be settled at that time, though Padca was never one to waste food if he could help it. In the meantime, he took the chance to begin carefully clearing his desk of books and papers, slowly unearthing the wooden surface. He would not abide any chance of the precious tomes becoming dirtied.

He was just finishing up when one of the young library helpers nervously poked their head in, gaze immediately flicking to Kyran before they spoke.
"U-Um, sir...? I have the items you requested...?"
Padca straightened and turned to address them, back to his normal self - that is to say, stiff-backed and rather frowny.
"Yes, thank you. Please bring them and place them on the desk here."
The young helper jerkily nodded before scurrying in, depositing their task, and then all but fleeing the room again with the quiet click of the door. Padca either didn't notice their behavior, or was used to it, for he immediately set to organizing their impromptu lunch. The forks (as he wasn't about to attempt sending someone out to hunt down chopsticks specifically) went onto cloth napkins next to the bowls, then the two small glasses he'd asked for, into which he poured some of the water from the little metal pitcher of water - the rest was carefully put into the vase for the flowers. Looking over his work, he nodded with satisfaction.
"That will serve. I suppose it's lunch time?"

Rhindeer

Ohhhhh. Kyran blinked and tilted his head as Padca folded his hands behind his back and gave a greeting of his own--and explained he avoided handshakes. But he had bowed, too, and that made something click in Kyran's brain. Perking up a smile, he returned the bow as best as he could while seated.

"No apologies needed!" he said brightly. "I was—" Oop, and he was off, striding out the door. Kyran blinked rapidly, wondering what the heck had just happened, but Padca returned just as quickly as he had left with an explanation that made sense. Utensils! Crisis averted, thank the gods! 

He watched as Padca worked on tidying the desk, his own hands twitching as he wanted to help but also not wanting to get in the way. Organization was one of his many little passions, and he could already see a dozen different, aesthetically pleasing ways that all those books and papers could be more efficiently arranged. Once or twice he opened his mouth and lifted a finger, wanting to make a suggestion, but he closed his mouth and bit his lip instead, because even in clearing the desk it somehow still looked absolutely chaotic. But at least at the end of it all he could actually see the wood beneath! Gods, how could he live like that?

Thankfully, his thoughts were interrupted by the helper came in with their delivery, looking rather skittish and eager to get away again. Really? Kyran looked over at Padca, eyebrow arched. Was that kid scared of him? Well, granted, he was a little intimidating at first, he'd admit, but that was when he'd been worried about being outed. As he watched the man put water into the flower vase and set up their lunch with such care, he couldn't imagine anyone being afraid of him after five minutes in his presence.

Unless...no one really talked to him much in the first place?

Padca announced their lunch was ready, and Kyran motioned Padca to sit and join him. "I hope you're hungry. I didn't even think about whether you'd eaten or not," he said, picking up his fork. "Oh, hey! Question!"

He was peering curiously at Padca, then at the noddles, and back, as though working something out. "Are you Thanati? Is that why you like noodles and bow and stuff?" He hadn't seen many Thanati, but all the folk he had seen were blond and had darker skin, so...