Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Rest for the Wicked [Visualspice] (M)

Started by Nightcrawler, July 26, 2023, 08:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

Fletch scowled up at her hand and tried to wave it away. "Oi, oi oi. I'm fine. You can stop that." His gaze followed the woman as she stood and began to move. She was pressed for time. He wasn't imagining it. She had somewhere she needed to be. Either that, or she badly needed to use the latrine.

She turned to him again. "Look, Red Coat," she said. "Are you sick or drunk? Because I recommend sobering up a little more before returning to town."

"Red Cā€” " He screwed up his face at her, then looked down at himself, then back again. "Right, yeah, clever. Name's Fletcher. Devlin Fletcher. Call me Fletch. And I'm er, surprisingly sober right now, thanks. As for sick..." He went dead-eyed and faded away for a moment before coming back to reality again. He didn't want to think about it. He hated knowing. He hated other people knowing. He didn't like hearing their sympathy. "No," he finished in an uncharacteristic monotone. "Not sick, either. You're zed for two." But he didn't find himself particularly convincing, and he doubted she would, either. Fletcher thought he should try to get to his feet before she really started fussing, but...could he? He closed his eyes. His heart still beat too weak and too fast. The world spun and rocked. He'd have to wait a moment more. He took a ragged breath. He opened them again.

"Go do your thing," he insisted, motioning with a jerk of his head for her to be on her way.

visualspice

Oh, so he did have a name. But then he tried to shrug off whatever happened and well...
She wasn't born yesterday. 

Missendria planted a hand on her hip and gave him the look. 

"My... thing..?" She inquired, lifting up the water ladel threateningly. "Do you need a whole bucket poured over your head, Red Coat? Or do you actually believe yourself? Now... if you aren't drunk.. and you aren't sick... then what left are you?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nightcrawler

The woman hadn't left when he'd told her. Instead, she stood there, put her hand on her hip, and waved the well ladle at him. As if she was his mother. Fletch stared. She was one crayon short of the box, that was for damned certain. And now she was pretending that she didn't need to be anywhere. Right.

"It's Fletch," he repeated, annoyed that she'd stuck with her nickname for him. "Or Dev if you're particular." He thought he could stand now, and it was just as well. He didn't like her looming over him like this. She did remind him of his mum a bit, and he found that uncomfortable. He needed to regain what little advantage he had. Using the wall for support, he rose gingerly to his feet. There. That was better. He had a little height on her now at least. He looked her up and down and raised his eyebrows at the brandished ladle.

"Sweetheart, I'm a bloody sailor. Might as well threaten a dog with a bone. Now." Fletcher groaned and rubbed his face. He sighed. This was absurd. "Wish I were, but I'm not drunk. You'd smell it on me, and quite frankly you'd know it if I were because I'd be handsy. And I'm not sick. Not the way you were checking for, anyhow," he added. She didn't let up with the look. Why did it get to him? It shouldn't have.

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, I just...can't remember much of anything at the moment. It's all a blur. I don't know where I am. I don't know how I got here. But I'll sort it out. Always do. What do you care, anyways?" he added, squaring his shoulders again. He'd been soft for a second there. "You don't know me. I don't know you. Didn't you just say you wanted to call it even and be on your merry way?"

visualspice

She.. wasn't sure how to counter that but it made her ask the same question. Why do you care? She frowned at that, feeling flustered and foolish as she shifted her weight anxiously, an action that reminded her of her exasperated injury. 

"Well, Fletch, perhaps where you're from, the common folk don't care, but as rude as you are, you did try to help me. And I'd like to think," She added on hastily. "That I'm not like the rest of 'em."

Rest of them who? And why did she care to defend herself? He was a man, a 'sailor' as he put it and before she or he could question it, she quickly added," And aren't you a little far from the ocean, Sailor boy? I mean.." she looked him over, and shook her head to shake back the airy laugh.

"Look... I might have things to do but I still, unfortunately have a conscious and if you're land sick, or whatever this is," She went on gesturing.  "I'd feel a whole lot better if I knew you'd found yourself atleast at some sort of destination of yours.."

She sighed, irritated.

"Look, I get it. You're an adult, can do what you want.. just promise me you'll be careful okay?" And she did her best to refrain from calling him Red Coat, even if it itched on her tongue.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nightcrawler

He was gaping again. He drew a sharp breath and started some witty retort, but it died before it left his rude mouth. He wanted to be bothered by what she'd said, but she'd been nice. Of all of the things he'd been through ā€” all of the people he'd dealt with ā€” nice had never been part of it. Fighting and arguing and posturing was all he knew. He was hopelessly lost. Fletcher put his hands on his hips, annoyed by his own speechlessness, and tried again. "You ā€” ergh." He bent his head and rubbed sheepishly at his forehead. He paused and looked up at her from between his fingers. She really is like Lyssy, he thought. A pang of guilt shot through his gut. He didn't know why. Still didn't know who Lyssy was, either.

"Look," he sighed. He let his hand fall back to his side. He gave it a third try. "Miss...whatever your name is. It's not...worth your time to be...helpful. You shouldn't bother. But if you're going to be stubborn..." He raised his other arm and inspected his swollen, oozing wounds. "Do you know anyone around here who can patch this up? Gangrene is the last thing my sorry arse needs on top of being lost."

visualspice

She could tell he was fighting off something flippant to say. She was too observant of people not too. It only made her feel more sorry for him. He honestly seemed to be in a bind, and lost- in more ways than one. What was it called when one forgot their memories? Amnesia?

Maybe he got attacked, hit over the head and just let back here in the slums. Even more reason not to pry. Did she really need more dangerous men in her life?

And then he produced his arm, clawed up terrible as it was. She winced as she got a good look at it.

"Jack really did a number on you.." she went on with a sigh. Then she looked up at the son, contemplative a moment before she shook her head. 

"I can get you patched up and on your way. Don't think you'll die by some old cat scratches but street cats aren't exactly the cleanest lot." 

She thought over just where to take him, however, most certainly not her own place.

"Come on. Man at the inn owes me a favor and I don't have to be anywhere until evening." Couldn't take too long to patch his arm up, right? She felt guilty enough her cat did this. But.. part of her was thankful  the man hadn't tried to hurt old Jack.  She wasn't sure what she'd do if she found the old tough alley cay injured.. it worse.

Nightcrawler

"Takes a bit more than that to put me down," Fletch agreed. "Been through worse. But I'm not keen on losing an arm, and I've seen men put under the saw for smaller scrapes than this one." He grimaced at the thought, shook it off, and peered down at her foot. "Man at the inn should splint that while he's at it," he grunted. "In the meantime..."

He pushed himself upright from the wall. Would he pass out again? No, his heart had slowed a bit now. He could do it. Haggard and drenched though he was, he still had his charm. He tilted his head ever so slightly, grinned, winked, and offered his good arm for her to put her weight on. "Least I can do is keep you somewhat off it. And erm. Thanks. For wanting to help. People don't usually...do that. For me."

visualspice

Missendria wasn't sure how to respond to that, not sure she wanted to test the man's strength after a collapse.

"I can manage on my own. You're ill," She went on, waving him off. "Hauled your ass here didn't I? You really wanna tempt fate so I have to do it again?"

Nightcrawler

"I'm not ill," Fletcher snorted. "Talking like I'm a decrepit old woman in need of a fainting couch. The nerve. Fine, your funeral." But he'd lost his bite, and his eyes weren't daggers anymore. He dropped his arm to his side, cast a doubtful glance at her ankle, shrugged, and waited for her to show him the way. "So," he said. "You telling me your name, love, or is that another secret in your pocket?"

visualspice

Missendria hesitated. Did he.. just make a reference to her hidden package? She wasn't certain how she ought to respond, so.she simply smiled forecably before testing a few wobbling steps on her own. Once she figured out how to walk in a manner she felt was less attention getting but keeping as much weight off her leg, she motioned towards him.

"We have a few blocks to stroll to get there so be sure to keep up "

Nightcrawler

The woman ignored him, and now he still didn't know her name. Fletcher wondered why it even mattered to her. It irked him fiercely when people skirted questions like that. He added that frustration to the pile, right on top of wanting a damned smoke.

Meanwhile, his oh-so-mysterious companion stepped away and tested her ankle. She seemed to be able to walk on it well enough. Or maybe she was just good at hiding pain. Either way, she motioned for him to follow her back down the alley. "We have a few blocks to stroll to get there so be sure to keep up," she told him. Fletch set off as well and strode along beside her.

"Mm, yeah," he muttered. "Wouldn't want to fall behind with how ruddy fast you're moving, Skippy." He wrung water out of his hair and tried to smooth it back down, but it was no use. He'd be right disheveled this time as they popped back into broad daylight. He wasn't looking forward to dealing with all that confusion a second time. He coughed. "There a place I can stop and buy some baccy on the way? Won't be half a minute."

visualspice

Missendria took the moment to reply to his request, not sure at first what he was asking for exactly. Then she realized he meant tobacco. 

She wrinkled her nose. She was never fond of smokes, the smell was too.. acrid, smelly and clung to everything like moss.

"I thought we were on a time limit.." she went on, testing weight on her ankle again before beginning a slow hobble once more. Damn the thing hurt.

"Sure your arm won't fall off if we detour?"

She eyed him a moment.  He was probably too addicted to the smokes to care. 

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's face lit up. For the first time since he'd found himself in that new, miserable place, he had something to look forward to. "Arm's more likely to fall off if I don't at this point," he snorted. It didn't make any sense. He didn't care. He was desperate for something, anything, to settle his nerves. "I'm not the one on the schedule, Skippy," he reminded her. "I just need this patched up today. I won't be a moment. Just point me to a good general store along the way, that's all."

He glanced over at her as they walked, rather slowly, side-by-side. She really had banged it up. She was trying to be all stoic about it, but she was wincing every step. She'd told him to leave it be. He shouldn't have cared. But... "Oh, for..." Fletcher stopped in his tracks, rolled his eyes dramatically at the narrow slit of sky above them, and began to pull his tucked in shirt out of his trousers. "I can't. This is stupid. Come here. Sit down. Take your boot off. I'm putting a fucking splint on it." He pointed to a barrel for her to take a seat. Then he patted his sides, found his belt knife, produced it, and, sighing at the idea of having to shred his only shirt, began to cut strips from it.

visualspice

Wow. She blinked. He actually looked.. happy. She couldn't help but smile a little in turn but shook her head to shake it off. She didn't need his moods to be infectious.

But at his quip about timing.. it was her turn to roll her eyes. Wasn't he worried about his arm going green or something? Honestly, cat scratches were the least of his concerns, she was sure. But he DID keep pressing about her agenda. She eyed him skeptically as she hobbled along.

Then he stopped and she paused to rest against a wall, taking the weight off her leg and sighing thankfully for it.  Then he drew out a knife and...
As he began to cut into the fabric, she reacted without thinking and grabbed onto his arm to stop him.

"What are doing!?"

Nightcrawler

It was the wrong fucking arm again. "Aagh!" Fletch cried out as she pressed shreds of his coat sleeve back into his open wounds. Instinctively, he tried to shake her grip, but he only succeeded in pulling the cuts open further. His knife slipped as he thrashed and he nicked a fresh slice into his thumb. "Ffffff ā€” " He brought it to his mouth and sucked at it, wincing. He shot her a threatening glare. "What the bleeding hell did you do that for?" he exclaimed from around his hand. Then ā€”

"Right. Nope. You're not getting out of this. Hand off me arm. Sit the hell down. On the barrel. Take your damned boot off. Now." He removed his still bleeding thumb from his mouth, waggled the dagger at her to underscore his point, and then went back to cutting strips for a splint. He shook his head. "Un-fucking-believable, honestly," he muttered beneath his breath as his shirt grew shorter by the minute. "You're worse than my bloody brothers."

visualspice

She forgot about his injured arm in the moment. She yanked her arm back as he shook her away- and then he got mad.

She folded her arms and gave him a look before plopping down to sit.

"I thought we were supposed to be heading to get your smoke flakes," She went on, sighing as she worked at the laces. She needed to rest her foot on a lower barrel and made sure to keep her skirts flattened down proper and shifted to keep her pocket with the package as consealed as she could, but it blended it pretty easily with the layers of her skirts.

She sat back up once her foot was free and grimaced at it. It was already getting pretty swollen.  Then she unceremoniously offered up the foot, perhaps exaggerating a stretch it with it more than was necessary.

"Okay Doctor Red Coat, boot is off."

And then a craggy head popped up from a nearby pile of raggedy old blankets and scared the shit out of Missendria as she screamed and threw herself bodily into Fletch out of pure reflex and with their weight combined, knocked the pair clean off the barrels.

The pile of blankets stumbled to stand, stick thij old man bird legs holding up the raggedy man as he moved over towards the fallen pair like a chicken. He peered down at the and flashed them a gross smelling, toothless grin.

"Ohh, a free show!"

Free show- that's when Missendria realized how high up her skirts had gotten tangled and immediately began to yank them down more properly.

Nightcrawler

"I thought we were supposed to be heading to get your smoke flakes," Skippy nagged him. But she did as she was told, for once. It was good that she had. He wasn't particularly keen on fighting a woman just to fix a twisted ankle. It might come off wrong to a casual observer, and he didn't want to land in jail that quickly.

"Yeah, look, believe you me, I'm jonesing. But this clearly cannot wait." He finished cutting up the bottom of his shirt, stowed the strips in his coat, and tucked the ragged edge back in. He patted his pockets then glanced around them. He'd need something a bit sturdier than shirt cloth to tie onto her leg. "Shit," he muttered. There was nothing. He'd have to use his belt. "Great. Wonderful." He got to work on his buckle. Now he'd really look disheveled. And anyone watching would really think he was being a lech. "It's not what you think ā€” " he began to explain, looking back up at her. He stopped mid-sentence and stifled a snort at the sight of her trying her very best to be modest. "Oh, so she is proper," he chuckled.

Finally, boot off and tossed aside, Skippy set her foot out for him to get to work. "Okay Doctor Red Coat, boot is off."

Fletcher scowled. "It's Fl ā€” "

Without warning, a bum rolled over and began to rise to his feet. He hadn't noticed the old man. He should have seen him as they passed, but he'd been distracted. Now it all happened in a matter of seconds. Startled, the woman screamed and barreled into Fletcher, sending them both backwards into the opposite wall. He dropped his belt in surprise and turned his other wrist just in time for her to narrowly miss his brandished belt knife.

His heart began to beat off rhythm again. The vertigo rushed back. Fletch pried her off of him as best he could and stepped in front of her as the bum hobbled towards them. He didn't look particularly tough. Fletch thought he could take him. "Ohh, a free show!" the man cackled, craning his wrinkled neck to try to catch a glimpse of Skippy.

"Show's over, mate," Fletcher barked. He reached for something on his bandolier. His hand hit shirt. There was no bandolier. He looked down. What exactly had he been trying to grab? Something that would have ended this before it began, that was for certain. But all he had on him was the knife. "Right," he muttered to himself, and held the blade up. "Guess we're doing this the old-fashioned way." He straightened as tall as he could. "See this?" he addressed the old man. "This is the difference between a good day and a bad day. You walk away, you have a good day. That means you keep your insides, inside. You get any closer, well. Then it's goodnight for you, isn't it? Now I've had ā€” " he began to laugh the kind of laugh of a man at his wits end. His left eye twitched. "I've had about enough of this day, myself, and I am just itching to pass that along to the first man who asks for it. So what'll it be? Hmm?"

visualspice

Frazzled as she was, Missendria knew the old beggar and finally found herself able to speak, a hand on Fletch's arm.

"Fletch, wait!" She moved to stand between the pair, giving Fletch a look, then the street beggar.

"Marvis, you know better than to scare a girl! ANd free show?" She gave him a reprimanded look but the old man just continued to grin.

"Can't blame an old man. It's been some ages since I've had a good snogging."

Missendria made a face. That was not the image sge wanted right now. She shook her head then glanced back towards Fletch.

"Put down your knife. He's harmless."

Marvis held into his grin as he eyed the man.

"Don't stop on account of me!" He said, licking his lips.  "I won't tell!"

Nightcrawler

For the third time, it was the wrong arm, but Fletcher, a rabid dog in any scrap, ignored her grasp. He scoffed, deeply annoyed that he'd been pulled back from letting loose. "You know this ugly bastard?" he exclaimed, gesticulating with the knife both violently and dangerously close to the bum's face. He felt his face grow hot. His heart beat too fast in his ears. But, slowly, the wind left his sails. "Could've bloody well told me before I went off on him." Reluctantly, he lowered the knife. He did, however, keep a firm grip on the handle. Distantly, he registered the two of them bantering, but something nagged at his attention.

Wait, he thought. Wait, wait, wait. Miss Priss knew a bum by name. So. She spent time around the dregs of society. Enough to be on first-name terms. But she'd been horrified at the slightest act of public impropriety out in the street. And she kept hiding things from him every other sentence. Fletcher mulled it all over with a begrudging interest. He looked her up and down as she addressed the man she'd called Marvis. He wondered if she was a little closer to his ilk than he'd first pegged her as. He raised an eyebrow. Well I'll be, Skippy, he thought. Now she was interesting.

"Huh," he grunted. "Well. If your friend here is really harmless, and you two are done having your little tea party: sit back down and let me finish binding that damned ankle. Please," he added with a sardonic flourish of the wrist.

visualspice

Missendria glared at Marvis then Fletch. But she rolled her eyes and stubbornly obeyed, glaring again to Marvis as he cackled.

And then the old man began to hobble closer to the pair, using nearby barrels to support his weaker gait.

"Haven't seen you around lately, deary. Got any.. packages for me.. hrmm?" The man asked, trying to be somewhat conspicuous but also.. not.

It earned him another glare.

"Marvis, go back to your pile of rags!"