Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the Strangest Tides, Skies are Grey [M]@MorningStar

Started by wandering_giraffe, January 31, 2024, 02:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

The Midnight Marauder had only been docked for a day, and already Elara was annoyed. Their rations were off, and food supply prices had skyrocketed.
It was pouring buckets of rain, the skies dark and grey, the sun unable to poke through. Elara and her crew had finally finished loading everything, the Midnight Marauder rocking back and forth gently, the creak of the wood and the swing of the pulleys causing a gentle almost lullaby when paired with the consistent sound of the rain.
Which was exactly opposite to how Elara was feeling. She was on edge. Their next merchant ship they were tracking had left a day early, meaning they would have to have a good wind at their backs if they were going to be able to intercept it.
The crew cast off, and the ship was finally on its way, the rain having let up alittle, the thunder and lightning stopping altogether.
Elara was out on deck, supervising the mid day cleaning and occasionally taking a mop herself and scrubbing the decks too.
Elara sighed, setting down the mop and resting on a barrel for a few minutes.
"Take an ease of work, mates! You've earned it!"

MorningStar

The dimly lit hideout echoed with the laughter and chatter of the Canary Crew, a bandit group known for their camaraderie and penchant for daring heists. In the heart of the hideout, Kael Torren, "New Dinny," lounged on a makeshift crate, his eyes gleaming with mischief as the crew discussed potential jobs.

"So, what's our next masterpiece, New Dinny?" chuckled Markus, a burly crew member with a thick beard, giving Kael a playful nudge.

Kael shot him a wry grin. "Masterpiece, Markus? I am the masterpiece. And I'll have you know my art is in the subtle nuances of larceny."

The crew erupted in laughter, and even Rata, their no-nonsense leader, couldn't suppress a smirk. "Subtle, huh? Just like that time you tried to convince the guards you were the city inspector," teased Spade, a nimble rogue with a penchant for mischief.

"Ah, but they'd never seen an inspector with such impeccable charm before," Kael retorted, running a hand through his disheveled hair with theatrical flair.

As the banter continued, Kael seized the opportunity to pitch his latest idea. "Alright, mates, hear me out. There's a ship docked at the harbor, and my gut tells me it's carrying a treasure worth more than all your mother's silverware."

The room fell momentarily silent as the crew turned their attention to Kael. Rata, their stoic leader, raised an eyebrow. "A ship, you say? What makes you think it's worth the risk?"

Kael leaned forward, excitement gleaming in his eyes. "A little birdie told me, Rata. A contact in the harbor mentioned some discreet cargo, something that might just fund our little escapades for months."

Rata's expression remained unreadable, his gaze piercing through Kael's confident façade. "And you're sure about this?"

Kael, ever unyielding, nodded. "Absolutely. It's got the right feel, the right vibe. This could be the score we've been waiting for."

The crew exchanged skeptical glances, but Kael's conviction began to sway them. Rata, after a contemplative pause, finally spoke. "It's a risk, Kael. Storms are brewing, and the sea's no place for half-baked plans."

Kael, undeterred, grinned. "Boss, have I ever steered you wrong?"

Rata sighed, his stern demeanor softening. "More times than I care to count, but there's a first for everything. If you think it's worth the risk, I won't stop you. But remember, we're not pirates. We take what we need, not more."

Kael saluted in mock obedience. "Captain Rata, you have my word. Just watch, this will be a heist for the ages."

As Kael prepared to leave the hideout, the crew resumed their banter, the gruff and playful atmosphere mirroring the duality of their bandit lives.

——

The storm raged with a furious intensity, the thunderous roar of crashing waves echoing through the darkened night. The churning sea churned beneath a tempestuous sky, where clouds twisted into ominous shapes, hiding the moon in an inky shroud. The wind, a relentless force, howled through the rigging of the ship, carrying with it the scent of salt and impending chaos.

In the midst of the tempest, Kael clung to the shadows. His silhouette, barely discernible against the backdrop of raging sea and looming storm clouds, crept along the docks of the harbor. The flickering lanterns of the few ships still anchored struggled to pierce through the inky grays, casting eerie shadows on the water.

His eyes, sharp and gleaming with the thrill of mischief, scanned the vessels bobbing menacingly in the tumultuous waters. Among them, a formidable ship, its hull creaking under the relentless assault of waves, caught his attention. Whispers of treasure and clandestine cargo had reached Kael's ears, igniting a spark of curiosity and larceny within him. With the storm as his ally, he saw an opportunity to slip onto the ship unnoticed.

The wood of the dock groaned beneath his cautious footsteps as Kael approached the chosen vessel. Rain, driven horizontally by the relentless gusts, pelted his form, but he moved with the fluid grace of a seasoned thief. His fingers danced over the hilt of his dagger, the cold metal a reassuring companion in the storm.

With cat-like agility, Kael ascended the creaking gangplank, every step masked by the symphony of crashing waves and howling wind. As he reached the deck, the ship groaned beneath the strain of the storm. The dim light of lanterns swung wildly, casting fleeting shadows across the soaked planks.

Through the relentless rain, Kael's keen eyes searched for the elusive treasure he believed awaited him. Barrels and crates adorned the deck, their contents obscured by sodden canvas. A flicker of frustration crossed his face as the storm muffled his efforts to discern the cargo.

Intent on his pursuit, Kael descended into the labyrinthine belly of the ship. The confined space resonated with the rhythmic thud of raindrops against the wooden structure. Shadows danced across stacked crates, each one a potential hiding place for untold riches.

Yet, as Kael's hands brushed against the rough surface of a particularly promising crate, an unexpected jolt ran through the ship. A deafening creak reverberated through the hull, drowning in the symphony of chaos outside. Panic tightened its grip on Kael as he realized the ship was departing, the anchor weighed against the relentless pull of the tempestuous sea.

His eyes widened with realization, and a momentary dread gripped him. The ship, once an unwitting sanctuary, now became a vessel of uncertainty, hurtling into the abyss of the storm-laden sea. Kael Torren, the audacious trickster, found himself ensnared in a situation beyond his control.

"Shit," he muttered to himself. "This is quite the pickle."

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig the cook was in the belly of the ship, taking stock of all the crates. He whistled, his trusty skillet slung behind his back. Everything seemed good, so he turned to leave. But something wasn't right...he turned around and suspiciously looked near the back.
He blew out the light and slammed the door closed, making it seem as if he had left.
Then, he snuck behind the right wall, until he stopped at the back crates.
If Yunggdrïl was fooling around again...but imagine his suprise when he grabbed the guy and dragged him out of the inventory room and threw him into the hall.
It very much wasn't Yunggdrïl.
"Who the fuck are you?" Kkärsvïg growled, drawing the small chef knife out of the front of his apron.
"Explain yourself, mate. Elara doesn't take kindly to stowaways."

MorningStar

The ship's hull creaked and moaned in harmony with the storm as Kael found himself caught mid-sneak by a burly chef of sorts. The dim glow of the hall revealed the suspicious gaze of the ship's crew member fixed squarely on him.

Caught off guard, Kael straightened, his eyes flickering with a mix of confusion and innocence. "Oh, well, fancy meeting you here. This isn't where I parked my horse."

The sailor's stern expression was paired with a knife, prompting Kael to spin a wild yarn. "You see, I was at the tavern, minding my own business, when a mysterious cloaked figure slipped something into my drink. Next thing I know, I'm here, aboard this majestic vessel. Must've mistaken it for the ferry to the Isles of Bar-maidens."

With a theatrical bow and a sly wink, Kael concluded his story. "Well, my good sir, now that that's understood, I'll see myself out. Farewell to you and yours! May the sea be more forgiving than your face."

And then he turned on his heel and ran.

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig just stood there, more amused than angry.
"Doors locked, mate. For situations such as these," he casually yelled after him.
"If you're innocent, then why do you run, eh?"

Kkärsvig shook his head and walked towards the stranger slowly.
"Either surrender, or I knock you out." He took his skillet off his back and twirled it in his hand.
"Believe me, you don't want a concussion, mate."

MorningStar

Kael's attempt to make a swift exit hit a snag as he reached the door, only to find it securely locked. He shot a quick glance over his shoulder, realizing that his hasty escape plan had hit a minor setback. With a sheepish grin, he turned back to face the sailor, who eyed him with a mix of amusement and suspicion.

"Ah, you see, it's a tradition of mine. I always exit through the locked doors. Builds character," Kael quipped, tapping the door as if testing its sturdiness. "Besides, who needs keys when you've got charm and a dash of audacity?"

After a brief scan for another unlocked passage, Kael sighed playfully, raising his hands in surrender. "Fiiiine, take me to your leader. Maybe we can discuss unlocking doors as a team-building exercise for the crew."

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig actually broke into a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.
"That's cute."
He roughly grabbed Kael's right arm and deftly unlocked the door with the other.
"I was just going to throw you in the brig but, you want to see the captain? You'll meet the captain."
He laughed and began walking, forcing Kael to walk with him.
"You obviously haven't met the captain..."
They went up a level, and Kkärsvig stopped before a door at the end of a hall.
Kkärsvig knocked on the door briskly.
"Captain!"
"One second," the captain said, walking to the door and opening it.
Her eyes looked at the stranger, before glancing at Kkärsvig.
"Who is this?" She asked flatly.
"Found him in the stock room, Captain, snooping around."
She took a step back and allowed them into the room, shutting the door behind them.
She brought a wooden chair and set it in front of the stranger.
Kkärsvig pushed him down into the chair, and Elara stared at the stranger.
"Stay there. Now," she said, pacing back and forth in front of him.
"State your name, occupation, and age. You cooperate, and maybe," she took a knife and flipped it from one hand to the other.
"Maybe I won't kill you."

MorningStar

As Kael entered the captain's quarters with an air of confident nonchalance (despite being forced), he found himself unexpectedly intercepted by a swift motion. Before he could react, a force propelled him onto a nearby chair, the impact eliciting an audible "oof" from his lips. As he rubbed his backside with a theatrical grimace, he finally focused on the person responsible for the unexpected seating arrangement. His eyes widened in surprise as he gazed upon her.

"You're the captain?" he blurted out with no restraint, but come on! The captain was a smoke show!

He cleared his throat, attempting to appear nonchalant despite the enchanting aura that surrounded her.

"Name's Dinny Hikaro, Captain," he lied, giving a subtle yet confident bow. "Occupation? Well, I'm what you might call a freelance adventurer. Jack of all trades, master of... well, a few. Age? Ah, that's a tricky one. Old enough to cause a ruckus, young enough to still enjoy it. But that's neither here nor there. As I was telling your fuzzy friend over there, this is all just a big misunderstanding!"

wandering_giraffe

"Yes," she said, staring at him with suspicion. "I am the captain."
"You're definitely not a master of sneaking around."

"I go by Captain," she said shortly, not buying a word of what he was saying.
"People don't wander onto pirate ships by accident, Dinny, especially mine. Do you know why?" She asked, her eyes dangerously cold.
"Because they don't leave. Now, Tell me your occupation, because if you're not useful, it's a slit throat for you." And she pressed her knife against his throat.

MorningStar

As the captain pressed a sharp blade against Kael's throat, her eyes glinting with a dangerous intensity, he decided it was time to shed the facade. "Alright, Captain, I'll drop the theatrics. My real name is Kael Torren, I'm twenty-nine, and I'm a bandit," he admitted with a resigned yet defiant expression.

The chef raised an eyebrow, his grip on Kael's shoulder unyielding. "A bandit? You've got some nerve boarding the captain's ship."

Kael smirked, a glimmer of confidence breaking through. "Nerve is what I thrive on. And you should know, despite your impressive display just now, I happen to be quite adept at sneaking around and stealing." With a subtle movement, he revealed a small trinket – a gleaming medallion he had lifted from the ship's chef during their earlier exchange.

wandering_giraffe

Elara put her blade away, believing him, but her eyes still cold.
"Aye, you dodged death. This time."
Kkärsvig, on the other hand, was mildly intrigued, his free hand going to his neck, where his medallion should be. Except it wasn't there. He growled and snatched back the medallion from Kael.
"I've a mind to beat you into next week for that," he grumbled, but inward, he was impressed.
Elara sat on her desk and studied Kael.
"What to do with you is the question," she surmised.
"Kkärsvig, throw him in the brig until tomorrow morning. It's getting late, and sea witches, I'm exhausted. Give him some food and water if he wants any."
She tried to act like she didn't care, but deep down she really did. She couldn't kill without reason. But she did keep a tight ship.
As Kkärsvig turned to take him to the brig, she held up her hand.
"Wait. Can you do anything else besides running around and stealing?"

MorningStar

Seated across from the captain in her quarters, Kael took a moment to assess the situation. The tension in the air hung palpable, the memory of the knife at his throat still fresh.

Leaning back with a nonchalant ease, he decided it was time to showcase more than just his knack for sneaking and stealing. "Captain, my talents go beyond the realm of nimble fingers and elusive footsteps," he began, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "I have a knack for navigating intricate situations. I can talk my way out of a dungeon as easily as i can talk my way into a woman's heart."

The chef arched an eyebrow, cutting in once more. "Smooth talker, huh? That's your grand skill?"

Kael chuckled, "Smooth as silk. But that's not all. I can assess a situation in seconds, devise plans on the fly, and I'm not too shabby with a blade when it comes down to it." He paused, letting the words linger before a sly smile curled on his lips. "I've got the power of flame," he continued, sparks and smoke igniting from his fingertips, "and I'm pretty easy on the eyes, don't ya think?"

He turned to the chef, handing him the medallion that he stole from under his nose a second time undetected.

wandering_giraffe

Elara listened to Kael list his assets.
"Not this dungeon," Elara muttered to herself. Purely because there was an actual dedicated space for the brig. The entire room was iron, the prisoners would get food once a day. The one guard posted outside of the room is a dark elf.
"If everything you're claiming is true...then that is most impressive."
She stood up off of her desk.
Kael was a rather attractive man, but she was not going to admit that to him. She had an image she had to keep.
Smooth talk into a woman's heart...yeah we shall see, she thought to herself, before shaking herself out of her thoughts.
"Take Mr. "Smooth talk" to the brig, Kkärsvig."
Kkärsvig nodded and gripped Kael's arm once more, pulling him up out of the seat and leaving the captain's quarters.
She couldn't have a stowaway just running about the ship.
Kkärsvig took Kael to the lowest level of the ship, which consisted of the brig and the guard quarters.
The assigned guard, the aforementioned dark elf, stood up from his chair and unlocked the heavy solid metal door.
Inside the brig were 4 hammocks and not much else. It was magically ventilated.
Kkärsvig pushed Kael inside and closed the door.
"I'll be back for you in the morning...maybe..."

MorningStar

Kael's world turned to iron as the ship's brig door slammed shut behind him. The dull clang echoed in the confined space, signaling the beginning of his temporary confinement. The cramped cell smelled of salt, mildew, and an undeniable sense of confinement.

His eyes quickly scanned the room, noting the bare essentials—a few hammocks swaying gently from the ship's movement. A sardonic smirk played on Kael's lips as he muttered to himself, "How thoughtful of them to provide such luxurious accommodations."

With an air of casual nonchalance, he strolled towards the nearest hammock and swung himself into it. The rough fabric cradled him, offering a temporary respite from the cold, hard bars of the cell. Time seemed to crawl, and boredom crept in like a persistent shadow.

As minutes stretched into an eternity, Kael's eyes wandered to the solitary figure stationed outside the cell—a Dark Elf guard with an expression as impassive as obsidian. With nothing to lose and a penchant for mischief, Kael cleared his throat and directed a sly grin toward the guardian of his temporary prison.

"Hey, buddy!" he called, his voice echoing off the cell walls. "Ever hear the call of the sea in a song?"

The Dark Elf raised a single eyebrow, acknowledging Kael's attempt at engagement. Kael continued, his tone feigning innocence, "You know, I've got a voice that can rival the waves themselves. Fancy a duet, my friend? A song of the sea, to pass the time. What do you say?"

Hoist the sails and let them fly,
On the sea, beneath the sky.
A sailor's heart, a sailor's pride,
In every wave, our dreams reside.

In the moonlit night, the sea whispers tales,
Of distant shores, where adventure prevails.
A sailor's heart, forever free,
Bound to the waves, for eternity.

Through the storms that rage, we stand tall,
Facing the tempest, answering the call.
With salt-kissed air and a fearless gaze,
We navigate the ocean's maze.

Oh, the women fair in every port we find,
Their laughter, their eyes, forever on our mind.
For in their grace, our anchor lies,
A beacon bright 'neath starlit skies.

So, here's to the women who wait ashore,
Their love, our compass, forever more.
In the rhythm of the sea, our hearts confide,
A sailor's anthem, on the endless tide.

As the song reached its crescendo, Kael cast a sideways glance at the guard, a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "Your turn, my friend. Show me what the ocean whispers to you in the still of the night."

wandering_giraffe

The dark elf, whose name was Azarion, stood up and walked over to the cell, an eyebrow raised in interest, but not saying much else.
He listened to the song Kael sung, and when it was over, there was a smile in his eyes.
"Well sung, but, I regret to say, I don't sing...my name is Azarion."
He leaned upon the bars of the cell.
"What'd you get thrown in here for?" The elf stared at Kael for a second.
"In fact, you don't look familiar...you try to hitch a ride somewhere? Elara must like you, normally the stowaways are executed on the spot."
Azarion, realizing he's said more than he probably should have, turns away from the cell once more, resuming his stoic demeanor.

MorningStar

The brig's metallic bars cast shadows on Kael as he lounged in his hammock, eyeing the Dark Elf guard stationed outside. With a sly grin, he decided to break the monotony and engage in some banter.

"Alright then, Azarion! You really want to know why I'm in here?" Kael called out, his voice echoing through the dimly lit brig.

The guard glanced over, his expression impassive. "Enlighten me," he responded curtly.

Kael chuckled. "Well, you see, it all started when I went for a couple of trinkets that didn't technically belong to me. The Captain, bless her heart, thought I needed a cozy spot to reflect on my life choices."

The Dark Elf's stern demeanor softened for a moment, a hint of amusement flickering in his eyes. "So, you're a thief."

Kael leaned back in his hammock, grinning. "More of a liberator of unclaimed treasures, if you will. And let me tell you, our dear Captain? Big ol' softy on the inside. Swore she saw potential in me."

The guard raised an eyebrow, unconvinced. "Potential for what?"

Kael winked. "That's the million-gold question, my friend."

The banter continued until Kael abruptly sat up, looking at the guard with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Wait, you don't sing? Come on! Let's get some drinks in you, and you'll be singing sea shanties in no time!"

Fast forward to later that night, and the brig was filled with the clinking of bottles and the boisterous laughter of an unlikely duo. Kael and the Dark Elf, both seated on opposite sides of the bars, swayed to the rhythm of an impromptu sea shanty.

The atmosphere transformed from a dreary cell to a makeshift tavern, complete with raucous singing and the clinking of glasses. The guard, having shed his stoic demeanor, joined Kael in an unexpected camaraderie that transcended the boundaries of captor and captive.

As the night wore on, the drinking and revelry reached a crescendo. By the time the first rays of dawn painted the horizon, the once-sober guard and Kael were both sprawled behind the cell, passed out in a heap of camaraderie and empty bottles.

wandering_giraffe

Elara's morning was going well.

They were on track to overtake the merchant ship tomorrow. The crew was in high spirits. Everything was going great. Until that damned Kael had to pick her ship to try to steal from. Gods she couldn't stop thinking about him.
This was stupid.
She got up from her desk and walked to the galley.
Kkärsvig was busy, frying fish for the crew's breakfast that morning.
"Ah, Elara, come to sample the food, aye?" He asked, midway through slicing a particularly strong onion.
"Not this morning, I'm afraid."
He set down the half cut onion, wiping off the knife on his leather apron.
"What is it?"
"What do I do with Kael? I can't...I can't bring myself to kill him."
Kkärsvig's eyes twinkled with mischief.
"Awww does the tough Captain have a crush?"
Elara angrily cleared her throat.
"NO! Absolutely—absolutely not!" She denied, blushing furiously.

Kkärsvig plated some food and handed it to Elara.
"Here, go give this to Kael. Gives you an excuse to go down there."
Elara opened her mouth and closed it.
"It's—it's not like that!"
Kkärsvig merely laughed, pushing her out of the galley.
"It is like that, and you know it. Now out of my galley!" And Kkärsvig slammed the door.

Meanwhile, Azarion had a massive headache. Where was he? No...he had gotten drunk?!!? How did that happen?
Oh. Kael happened that's what.
He wasn't even angry. Just amused.
He sat up, and groaned. His back hurt. His head hurt.
"Ugh..."
He could hear footsteps making their way to the brig. Oh no. He could lose his job, he could lose his life if Elara was feeling like it. He frantically shook Kael.
"Kael Kael you gotta wake up!"

MorningStar

"Not now, mommy, I was just having the best dream about a beautiful ship captain and-"

Kael was stirred awake by a jarring clatter, the sound echoing through the brig like the clash of cymbals in a drunken symphony. Groaning, he squinted against the harsh light that seemed to pierce through his throbbing skull.

The Dark Elf guard, equally worse for wear, sat beside him, holding a metal bucket filled with water. "We have to get up" the guard grumbled, his voice a gravelly echo.

Kael winced at the noise, trying to piece together the foggy remnants of the night before. The sight of empty bottles strewn around him and the guard brought a sheepish grin to his face. "Ah, morning rituals. You, my friend, have the worst worst timing. I was about to get lucky."

The guard ignored the comment, unceremoniously tipping the bucket over Kael's head. Cold water cascaded down, sending an electric shock through his hungover senses. Spluttering and sputtering, Kael shot up, dripping wet and more awake than he'd ever been.

"You'll thank me later," the Dark Elf deadpanned, tossing a dry cloth at Kael.

Rubbing his head and eyeing the bucket with disdain, Kael attempted to regain some semblance of dignity. "Very generous of him," he muttered, wringing out the cloth. "You know, for a guard, you've got an odd sense of camaraderie. Shouldn't you be poking me with a stick or something?"

The Dark Elf raised an eyebrow, unamused. "Just get yourself together. The Captain is coming."

As Kael gingerly rose, he couldn't help but chuckle. "Right, right. Let's not keep the big ol' softy waiting. But seriously, next time, let's opt for a more civilized wake-up call. Singing, perhaps?"

wandering_giraffe

Elara walked into the brig, completely unprepared for what she was about to see.
"I have a proposition for—-what the fuck?"
There were bottles everywhere. Elara didn't even know the ship saloon had that many bottles.
And there was Kael and Azarion, both severely hungover and Kael was drenched.
Elara wordlessly sat the food she had brought for Kael and desperately fought to keep a stern facade.
She grabbed Azarion by the collar of his shirt and lifted him off the floor.
"Do ye know what the penalty for associating with the prisoners—much less getting drunk with the prisoners is? I ought to slit your throat right here, and let Kael watch. This is pathetic. Not to mention irresponsible. He could have escaped the brig, done who knows how much damage to the rest of the ship!"
"Go get cleaned up," she ordered, and let Azarion go.
She set down the tray of food in front of Kael.
"I had a proposition for you but I'll wait until you're fully sober."

MorningStar

Kael was up on his feet and sauntered over the cell bars, a sly grin playing on his face, as the woman eyed him.

"Captain, my esteemed leader," Kael began, holding up a hand as if taking an oath, "I assure you, I'm completely and utterly sober. Not a drop of the good stuff has passed these lips since last night's... festivities." He punctuated his words with an exaggerated salute. "I'm merely in a state of unparalleled enlightenment, heightened by the crisp morning air."

Leaning in with a conspiratorial wink, Kael whispered, "Now, Captain Softy, about our dear Elf friend," he started, already forgetting his name completely. "Just go easy on the on the guy. He's not as grumpy as he looks, really. Just tell the crew I'm a bad influence, and I'll make it up to them with a stellar performance tonight. Promise. Now, what's this about a proposition? Fallen for me already?"