Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I Put a Spell on You (Rylok)

Started by Black Cat, February 25, 2024, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Cat

Arca was a beauty to behold. A city of untold opportunities for the magically inclined and those who sought to get their grabby hands at valuable magical items. Even the air smelled of magic. Or perhaps it was exotic spices?

Waving goodbye to the trading cart that had transported her Serendipity's capital, a short figure confidently strolled toward the city gate, her pace matching that of a small group of nicely robed folks passing the cobbled street. She, a short half-elf clad in well-worn hides and leather, stood no chance at approaching unnoticed, though her vibrant scarlet eyes sneaked toward their belts in search of valuables anyway.

A grumble came from her stomach and the pickpocket was forced to readjust her plans. Her art of quick, nimble fingers could wait. Food was important. She only had to find a marketplace, scout the area for the number of guards and possible escape routes, and do her own magic.

An hour or so later, Cas was in the process of eating a nice, fat croissant she had borrowed earlier from a street vendor without his knowledge. With each bite, the chance of ever returning it grew slimmer. It was magic, really. One moment the evidence of theft was there, the next moment it was gone and she was a law-abiding and honest citizen.

Or maybe a vagabond. She did not know the rules!

With her stomach no longer grumbling, the young half-elf allowed herself to hum a jolly tune and trotted through the city's bustling streets. Beneath the jovial façade of an airheaded girl, a pair of greedy eyes spied for suitable targets. Serendipity was supposedly a nation of great mages, but she had yet to meet one with a bottomless purse.

The hard cobblestone beneath her feet was all too eager to remind her she wore soft-soled boots and prolonged strolls would be ill-advised. Cas knew she had to be quick. Efficient. She started toward her prey. A woman too busy chatting with another noticed nothing as a shadow came and went. The purse cut from the gossiper's belt had disappeared somewhere within Cas' outfit. She would try to count her bounty later; its weight was reassuring enough.

The corners of her lips turned upward and she continued to prowl the streets, roaming about. She planned to eat and sleep well tonight and no purse had to light a weight to avoid its fate.

Fate. That's what it was. Purses guarded too lightly were fated to be stolen.

@Rylok
============================
-=| ~Akayuki~ | ~Caslawen~ | ~Genevieve~ |=-

Rylok

Either he was getting world weary, or the thieves these days were getting younger and younger. And sloppy...Simon watched with a well trained eye as the bouncy elf-mix worked the marketplace. He himself was waiting in the shade of the farrier's barn, inside the doorframe so he could keep an eye on Fairwind. The Percheron gelding had thrown a shoe and was unhappy to have the farrier refitting him, but the grey horse seemed to know that Simon was not in the mood for playing Nippy Bitey.

Okay, she wasn't sloppy. The zombified ex-thief watched her bump-and-snatch technique critically and saw that she was relying on her big eyes and winning smile a lot more than- well, no. There was the once with the nobleman, who didn't seem to realize his jeweled pin was missing. Then the very clean cut on the purse on the back of the belt of the man getting his boots shined. Hm.

The elven woman made her way across the courtyard, mark by mark, being careful not to get too much attention. She seemed to be heading for the inn, so Simon made a split decision and tossed a coin to the farrier's assistant.

"Stable him when you're done, please. I've decided to spend the night at the inn after all." His voice hadn't done any improving. He still sounded like a three pack a day smoker who was on his last half of a lung, and he hated it. Once upon a time, he mused, he'd been as sticky fingered as the elf. Those were days long gone...or maybe not so long.

His quiet stride took him across the courtyard, too. The sun was beginning to set and the sky, oh it was glorious. Threads of amethyst and gold lit up the pink and red horizon, forcing him to stop and appreciate it over the rooftops. A spark of his old mischievous joy lit up in him and he decided to approach the other thief. Perhaps old times didn't have to die.

The inn was styled to look quaint; the sign above the door proclaimed it to be "The Dancing Pig" and it had a cartoonish sow dancing and drinking a pint of ale illustrated on it. The three story building boasted a stone and clapboard exterior, trying to look more quaint and rural than the city surrounding it. Was it some sort of schtick? Probably. If it was designed to reel in travelers and comfort seekers, then it worked. The place was crowded with what seemed to be an entire shift of workers (mill workers? Dockmen? Factory workers? Didn't matter) getting drunk, singing songs, and heckling the entertainment on stage. Knife-ears wasn't too hard to spot, so the taller thief approached.

In his experience, there were two ways to gain respect when you were in the lightfingers line of work. You could lift something impressive, or you could leave something where it didn't belong. When he'd been much younger, his first jobs as a padfoot had been leaving messages on bedside tables and in coat pockets of his gang leader's blackmail targets. The fact that he would double dip the job and come away with coin purses and other trinkets just meant his boss had to pay him less. Getting the elf's attention would come from the same skillset, so Simon considered the best means of making a statement, made his move, and sat next to her.

"Nice little jabber you've got...keeping it oiled and sharp, I see. 'Take care of your tools, and they'll take care of you,' my old fence used to say. Glad to see that such wisdom is still being applied." After commenting on the dagger he lifted from her belt (it really was well taken care of. Maybe he misjudged her earlier), he handed it back, hilt first.

Black Cat

Time to afford something good after all the hard work! The image of a comfy bed and a hot bath excited her mind, but before that, she needed a warm, hearty meal. Cas had picked a table and purred in delight; her weary body appreciative of a bit of rest. She didn't even get to scout her surroundings or order a meal when a shadow fell upon her and its owner sat at the same table, holding the familiar edge of her knife and speaking in a manner that left no doubt about his line of work. Or his purpose, for that matter. His grim appearance also served as a giant clue. Cas' face had turned every shade of pale and for a moment the startled half-elf could do no more than simply stare.

She wasn't naïve enough to believe she was the only thief about. This was, however, her first time getting approached by one so soon after working in a new place. Eyes wide with fear and uncertainty, she gulped, feeling a massive lump in her throat. Every muscle in her body tensed and she wanted to bolt, if only her legs weren't paralyzed with fear!

Organized thief gangs disliked unaffiliated independents poaching about their turf. Cases of teaching the newbies cruel bone-crushing lessons weren't unheard of. Thus far, Cas had always been able to turn tail and skip town before a brutish enforcer could claim her fingers or limbs for not paying tribute to the local boss.

It seemed like her luck had run out.

Logic dictated the deed would not take place in public, among so many witnesses. As long as she remained within the inn and as long as the inn was full of people, she would remain safe and alive and not eviscerated in a shallow ditch by the road. That's what she kept telling herself to remain calm in a failing attempt to focus. A forced smile curled her lips.

"Oh, that's a nice knife you've got! Mine looks just like that! Funny coincidence!" The half-elf stated jovially and gave a silly laugh.

A hand reached down to her belt and Cas adopted a deliberately confused expression when her fingers – predictably – found the belt relieved of one dagger.

"Wow! Nice trick," she commented with a beam and raised eyebrows. "I see you're a...-- magician. A very honest aaand --tricky, very tricky art. Here, lemme give you a tip! A hard-working man such as yourself deserves it. Good job, mister magician!"

From within one plate of leather armor that turned out to be a concealed pouch she pulled a purse swelling with coin, placed it on the table between them, and gently pushed it in his direction. She hoped this would do as a bribe. As her hand went up, fingers curling around the familiar hilt of her knife, she contemplated slicing off his fingers or pushing the edge right to his heart. She didn't do that, of course. Cas was no warrior and disliked her chances, and thus she gently retrieved her weapon and put it back where it belonged.

Forcefully breaking eye contact, she looked toward the bar and waved in that direction. "Bar! One mug of your best for my friend over here!" Slowly, very slowly, she turned her gaze back and forced a friendly and painfully nervous smile. Not even a minute had passed, but it felt like an eternity before a sizable wooden mug thudded on the table and the barkeep marched to other customers.

She peered into the mug as if hoping its contents were poisonous. Beer? Ale? It was thick as mud and she hoped he would either choke on it or get drunk enough to allow her an easy escape.

"I was on my way to your boss to pay tribute and introduce myself, honest! But I am new here and don't know where to find him, so I, umm—you will take me to him, right?"

Rylok

Behind his metal and cloth mask, Simon smiled. Eons ago, and yet only six (seven?) years ago he'd have preened and crowed over having another thief this cowed. Experience had taught him humility. Perhaps he could pass on some sort of wisdom to the girl before she got a hand taken for thieving...or pressganged into some of the more unsavory teams.

Simon tented his fingers and rested his chin on the back of his gloved hands as he watched the young miss stumble and bumble over herself in fear. Her poker face was terrible. And then the bribery? The coin was too much, and the ale was over the top. Even if he COULD drink it...he peered into the mug as well.

"Pretty sure I've seen less mud in my horse's hooves after traveling through the swamps," he commented to the girl after the server left. He chuckled, though, and pushed the coin purse back to her.

"A couple of points, though...firstly, you earned this, I didn't. Keep it. And second, I thank you for the er...lovely drink, but I've got a condition, so you can either keep it for yourself or pass it on to a target. I'd suggest the bloke in the blue vest. He's been eyeing your hindparts since I came in and you'd probably be able to pull a decent con on him if he were a bit more drunk."

He sat back in his seat and stretched his legs out, overly casual, but trying to avoid aloof. He hated it when he was given good advice in an overly snobbish way and he didn't want to become THAT asshole. The crowd around them started singing along to the bawdy song being performed and Simon waited for the chorus to lull so that he could be heard.

"Thirdly, the main gang you've got to worry about is the Soot Wolves. I'm retired, but anyone who plays the game would have pegged you as a player today. Your skills are good, but you're arrogant. An arrogant player gets rich quick, but they get dead quick, too. I don't know where the Wolves headquarter. If you want to stay independent, don't find them. I've heard nasty rumors about them pressganging people into service...if you DO want to join them, I'm not your guy. If you're keen on being a solo player in a city full of opportunity, though," he shrugged and grinned, not that she'd see the smile. It carried through to his voice though when he concluded "I know a guy."

He was, after all, the thief who had gotten the Poisoned Apple. That fist sized ruby had cost him everything...but damn, he'd done it, hadn't he? His only mistake was fencing it. If he had to do that heist again...nah. Shut that talk down, Si. You're an EX thief. Arrogant thieves wind up dead, after all, and he knew best about what that was like.

Black Cat

Cas knitted her eyebrows and glowered into her new friend's mask as if unable to comprehend what he was saying. When the realization dawned on her, she sighed in relief and leaned into the back of her chair, visibly relaxed. Gone was the tension in her expression, now replaced by mild curiosity. Stifling a laugh, she quietly listened to what he had to share. Caslawen wasn't one to pass on free information. While the possibility of it being fake remained, the tasty morsel of bits and tidbits turned out to be a hook she swallowed without a second thought.

A nod of appreciation followed. "Oh. I thought you one of their legbreakers. You've got, you know—," she waved a hand over her face, "The intimidating look and everything. Thanks for the info and advice. I'm not looking to join them or any other gang in this city."

The scarlet orbs of hers shined with greed as she eyed the rejected bribe. With a swift sweeping motion of her hand the purse full of gold vanished from the table. Appearing nonchalant, she cast a disinterested glance over her shoulder to both peep at her 'admirer' and scan the inn for any pairs of eyes overly interested in the thief duo. The chances of the local outfit having a few informants and rats about were high, but Cas' brief look had caught nobody too suspicious. Everyone appeared to enjoy the rowdy fun.

Except for the masked guy right beside her, likely the most suspicious character she had seen in weeks. Slowly, she turned her head to face him, a look of scrutiny on her face. He had proven to be a more competent pickpocket than her and obviously knew how to dance the dance. What remained obscured, however, was his motivation. Thieves were selfish creatures, more often than not ready to sell one another for profit. While the half-elf had heard about the 'honor among thieves' crap, she thought it all rubbish.

"So, what's your game? Even if you aren't an enforcer, you could have taken my money. I know I would have. That was kinda stupid. Tsk." She playfully tutted but kept a soft smile on her features. She recalled an old saying about a foolish man who offered bribes and an even bigger fool who refused them. And when a thief rejected a bag full of gold, then either the world was coming to an end or something else was going on. "And now you're offering to set an independent newbie like me with someone? Let's say I'm interested. What's the catch? What do you get out of it?"

Rylok

Simon nodded along with her assessment of his intimidating look. Looking intimidating while in town kept people from asking questions, getting too close, or finding out that there were worse things than someone fully covered and masked.

"The mask is better than what's under it, I promise. And your coin is,"

He held a grey gloved fist towards her, then flipped it over to reveal some of the gems from his more recent adventures in the ancient ruins around Serenity. The gems glittered with enchantments, but he palmed them and made them disappear just as quickly as he had revealed them. Well, almost all of them. A sapphire flicked between his fingers in a hypnotic dance before it disappeared too.

"not my style," he finished dramatically.  He sat back forward and got down to business.

"I meant what I said about arrogant thieves meeting bad ends, and I met one of the worst. It's my way of paying back Lady Luck's providence by helping you avoid a similar fate. So, what I get is a chance to get square with the house before I fully retire from thieving."

Idly, he played with an emerald before flipping it up in the air for her to catch.

"You in?"

Black Cat

"Aah."

It was a story as old as time. From what Cas had gathered, her mysterious companion was about to die. Thieves like them rarely retired. The few lucky ones usually used their wealth and cunning to go legal and continued to steal tenfold as mayors or barons. The rest? The end of the hangman's noose at best. There was no doubt in her mind the man beside her was about to join the latter soon enough and wanted to make peace with whatever religion he followed.

Redemption or some other sentimental crap her young mind could not comprehend yet.

But who was she to deny a fellow thief at the end of his road?

"Sounds like a fairy tale. Or one of them, uhm--," she said wistfully and struggled to remember the right word and scratched her head. "Moral stories."

The trick with the gems caught her attention. A pair of scarlet eyes attentively observed the emerald take off into the air. Her breath stilled in anticipation. The emerald started to fall down inevitably. Any second now the trick would be revealed. Perhaps the precious gem would disappear. Her gaze followed it every step of the way.

Well, somehow it clinked against the wooden floorboards and remained motionless. Dejected, she stared at the little thing, then looked up at her mysterious ally.

"I thought you were gonna make it poof too," Caslawen commented, pursing her lips.

A magic trick of her own; stepping on the carelessly discarded jewel on the floor and dragging her foot toward her seat without even the slightest pretense of being sneaky about it.

And voila. The emerald was gone.

"Yeah. I'm in." The half-elf gave a toothy grin.

Rylok

He chuckled. The gravelly death-like sound drew a few of the other bar's patrons out of their revelry long enough for them to move away from the grim, grey specter.

"I was expecting you'd catch it, ruby-eyes. How badly do you need to rest after today? We could start work tonight, or I could wait for you until the morning."

If he WERE to get back into thieving, he'd have an advantage over the rest of the underworld since he didn't need sleep, food, or even air. Probably vampires would be on par with him, and maybe some other of the more monstrous denizens of the realm.

"Name's Si, by the way. You?" He offered her a gloved hand to shake, offering his name with the gesture.

Black Cat

"I don't need to rest, pops." She protested with a playful grin curling her mouth. And truly, the prospect of doing real work at night enticed her. With the music and voices around growing in volume and the fun of getting more drunk, the inn promised to produce a good deal of tired, intoxicated people, most of whom needed to get home after the closing.

More thieves undoubtedly planned to abuse that fact, but Caslawen thought herself and her new friend to have a good starting position – provided that was his plan and not something more ambitious. The confidence in his voice suggested he had something worthwhile in mind, something grander than the slim scraps of a pickpocket.

"I thought you had another trick ready is all," the half-elf gave a shrug, and a hand reached down for the precious gem thus far beneath her boot. If he expected her to give it back, she would disappoint. Finders keepers and all. A swift, well-practiced motion and the emerald vanished in a pocket while the mug of beer between them continued to gather dust in utter embarrassment.

With the introduction came a hand and she reached with her own to shake it without hesitation. "I'm Caslawen. Or Cas for short. So, what's the plan?"

She let go of his hand and lowered her voice, a quick glance about to make sure nobody showed an unhealthy interest in them and continued. "Is it big? I imagine someone with your experience is above stealing small change from drunk nobles."

Rylok

Simon nodded at Cas' assumption that he had a bigger target in mind than pickpocketing the unaware.

"Alright then, but remember: your body is as much a tool as your blades and it needs to be cared for, too. Look around...tell me about the people you see."

Many of them, the ghoul  had noted, were wearing a factory uniform, but they weren't drinking as heavily as the others in the bar. The factory workers had not been paid yet, but they weren't disgruntled. Payday was on its way for them...which meant that the payroll was likely in the coffers of the factory, waiting to be distributed at the end of day tomorrow. Scouting it out and helping themselves would put them ahead quite a fair amount. It was a low risk hit, but it would give him ample opportunity to teach her things. Lesson one would be to slow down, but they'd get there.

Black Cat

At Simon's suggestion, Cas peered over the gathered patrons. The fragrant smell of pipe tobacco grew in strength and mixed with the stench of sweat and alcohol while the kitchen behind the bar let out the mouthwatering aroma of roasted beef. With a wolfish grin, the young half-elf cast her predatory gaze around in search of anything notable.

"Beggars. People from the slums, the sort that have little and live with little. I mean, what to expect in the poor part of town. Easy pickings. Slim pickings. Perhaps enough to keep one alive for a day but nothing to brag about." She commented and narrowed her eyes in an inquisitive study of their belts. Nothing out of the ordinary most of the time, though here and there a fatter pouch could be spotted. She had noted the owners were intent on throwing their coins into alcohol or gambling. These would normally make worthy targets, alas, she wanted more.

From their belts, she glanced down, at the boots. "Torn, filthy rags. Cheap leather. A fancy pair here and there, but all dirty. Maybe minor nobles down on luck? Or maybe they're stolen."

She studied those who wore more decent footwear, analyzing the way they moved. "They walk like drunks. No posh, no stick up their ass."

Her attention shifted toward the factory workers as she had noted Simon looking their way earlier.

"What about them? They don't look to have anything to spend—oh."

His intentions dawned on her.

"Right. Huh. That could be an easy target unless they have the pay locked in a vault, or, a safe, or something. Which they probably do, it's hard to crack. And, um, I haven't cracked one before."

She cast a look straight at Simon, studying the mask as if she wanted to see the expression beneath.

"I once met a guy who knew a guy who supposedly opened a big iron safe. He and his gang ripped it from the wall, loaded it on a cart, drove it far away, and melted the lock with some sort of liquid."

Rylok

Simon's jaw worked under his mask. Her derision of the poorer working class irked him; his mother, after all, had been a whore, and his father was one of the ones to take advantage of her. His upbringing had been meaner than this; the ragged shoes and tightened belts were more shoe and more belt than he'd had as a child, as a hungry preteen, or as a feral teen. Seeing Cas evaluate them like a wolf choosing a lamb made him realize that she didn't understand the honor of the street life; don't take from people who can't afford to give, don't give to people who afford things by taking, and remember that fortunes can turn in the blink of an eye.

"Always remember that you're three missed meals away from being poorer than the poorest among those here. There's always a bigger fish in the pond...so don't be arrogant. Lady Luck may pay too much attention to you next time She's accounting debts."

Still, the kid was thorough despite her classism. The anecdote about a gang stealing the whole vault and using a melter liquid was cute, but it was a sloppy mess.

"Do you have a gang? Or that liquid? Or a mage that you'd trust enough to not rat you out to the guards when the heat starts getting to them? I've never known a mage to not squeal like a suckling pig...they like their comforts too much. Nah. You're gonna learn to use your finger tips and ears to talk to locks. Once you know their language, you'll be able to go anywhere. C'mon."

He stood from the table and started walking to the back entrance that let out into the stables. He preferred them- there was generally less traffic, more shadows, and more hiding spots if things went awry. That, and these particular stables had a low roof and an alley exit, which meant it was easy enough to lead his new apprentice up to the highways and byways of thievery.

"People rarely look up. If you keep quiet, you can get around faster, see more, and do more from a high place. So...which factory was it that our friends 'told' us about?"

If the observational question had been test one, this was test two. The badges and uniforms that the factory workers wore meant union. Union meant brickworks or lumber in this neighborhood, and the badges had an axe and a saw emblazoned on a green and gold background. Did she notice that? Did she remember? And would she put two and two together? The test began now...

Black Cat

"If you're willing to teach..." The half-elf shrugged in reaction to his confidence with locks. Her nimble hands had picked a few, but never the fancy, complicated ones. Safes were completely out of the question and thus the only locks to ever fall victim to Cas' skill were the simple iron ones, large and sturdy. The prospect of learning how to deal with more complicated beasts excited her, however unlikely she found the idea of an old thief like Simon keeping up with the latest trends in security.

She followed after her new mentor outside, taking in the late breeze and noting the dark, much less populated atmosphere the city had. At a time like this, thieves and other unsavory elements crawled from their hiding holes and used their respective arts. Cas just hoped none of them would bump into her and Simon. These and similar thoughts were interrupted when Simon asked about the factory. A sigh pushed through her lips and her tongue clicked.

"Dunno. The one with the same sorta symbol as the workers wore. I'll recognize it if I see it again. But I'm new to the city, so... see ya up there."

Afraid her woeful lack of vocabulary and inability to describe precisely what she saw would show, she went ahead. Half wood elf, the teenage thief did not need to be told what to do next. Without a word, she grabbed at the edge of the roof and pulled herself up with a soft grunt before crawling onto the roof. She had done this sort of thing before. Once situated upon the stable, her soft-soled boots almost soundlessly moved toward a wooden support beam that held a small balcony above the stables. Up and up she went, standing upon the balcony's railing like some sort of circus acrobat, and climbing further in a way that made it look natural for her slender body. Soon the inn's roof turned into a floor for her sneaky feet to step on, and from there she slipped into a dark shadow right next to the smoking chimney.

"Thieves' Highway. Every city has at least one. We're lucky, looks like we're early." The half-elf grinned from ear to ear and peered into the dark. One of the few benefits of her elven heritage was superior eyesight in dark and dim conditions. An advantage over human thieves for sure. As she gazed from one roof to another and mentally mapped the surrounding area, making note of possible routes and suitable access points, Cas felt this liberating sensation in her chest. The guards patrolling the streets would never see the shadowy figures carefully scuttling high above their heads.

Rylok

He'd been dancing the dance for over twenty years now. While prison had made him take a forced hiatus on a lot of the more physical skills, he'd apprenticed himself to the lifers at the quarry and learned the psychological and philosophical arts of the trade. The hard labor had honed his muscles. Necromancy made him able to ignore pain, gave him supernatural strength, and made him as silent as the grave. Climbing hand over hand up to the apex of the roof was nothing for him, and he found himself waiting for the teen.

"Tsk, tsk...axe and saw, the sawdust on their boots and in their hair...lumber mill, child. And everyone is afraid of the lumber union because they have lumberjacks. Their security won't be nearly as complex as the jewel cutters or the apothecaries carrying phoenix feathers. Let's go!"

He took off at a fleet footed run, completely at ease with the long jumps and occasional drops. The different levels of roofs required some scrambling and balancing, but it felt wonderful to get back in the saddle. Eventually, they arrived at the lumber mill. Logs took their last ride here before getting shaped into planks, pillars, and railings for Serendipity's construction businesses. There were several ways in...roof skylights, the water canal that floated logs in, the back door, and the front door. Each had their own pros and cons, so he waited for Cas to catch up and catch her breath.

Black Cat

She had not thought him a fast runner, much less an athletic one at that. For that very reason, Cas was caught completely off guard as he started to flee over the rooftops, passing jumps an acrobatic creature like herself had trouble making. It took everything Cas had to avoid lagging and she still faced difficulty keeping up with the man. Be it tiles or simple wooden boards, scaffolding, or support beams, everything that could be grabbed or stepped on was utilized to propel the thieving due closer to their destination across the rooftops. By the time they stopped, Cas slumped down and felt her muscles burn.

"How can... an old man like you... run so fast?!" She managed to gasp out between ragged breaths. "'Tis unnatural!"

Beads of sweat formed on her forehead, the sudden surge of adrenaline and physical activity in stark contrast with Cas' usual slow, methodical pickpocketing. But as her system started to cool down, the half-elf was given a good chance to visually scout the imposing lumber mill before them. Three thugs who passed for guards guarded what she thought the main entrance. Well illuminated with torches, one guy permanently stationed by the metal door and two making rounds around the area, she had rejected the point of entry outright.

Given the thieves were already stationed on the roof, her crimson eyes shifted to the mill's upper grounds. Dark as night, nobody on guard duty, and with a convenient way of entering the mill to boot. Whatever security was present there, she guessed it to be rusty old locks and poorly maintained windows. Caslawed had mentally marked the roof as her preferred path to infiltrate the mill. She rose, relaxed, and scoured the place for a back entrance, though found none when observing the mill from this angle.

"I vote for going through the roof," she commented and licked her lips like a cat looking at a bowl of cream. "Nice and quiet."

Rylok

"You think-" Si about choked on his laughter. The stifled giggling was quiet, but unmistakable.

"Oh that's hilarious, Cas...adorably hilarious! I'll show you my secret after this job," he promised in a whisper.

Old. That was novel. Of all the assumptions that she could have made, her epithet about it being 'unnatural' was more accurate than the young thief probably knew. He was still grinning when the elf made her decision. Back when he still needed to breathe, that would have been his choice, too. Now, the canal was more tempting. Nobody suspected a swimmer to be able to go under the logs. The ability to hold your breath long enough to swim, move through the sawing machinery, and get out of the water inside of the building would have been beyond all but the most athletic of swimmers. For the undead though, it was stupidly easy.

"Roof's a good choice. What are the pros and cons of skylight drops?"

Every step of the way was going to be a quiz for the little thief. If she wanted an education, Simon was going to stretch her physically and mentally until he was sure that she was learning.

Black Cat

A secret.

Probably a stamina potion by the looks of it. The expensive sort. So said the only logical explanation Cas' mind came up with. It made no sense for a thief to use an item so expensive merely to show off. Perhaps it allowed his old bones to move at all?

Perplexed and intrigued, the half-elf felt her heart no longer pounded like crazy in her chest. Good, she needed her hands steady in case a rusty lock needed to be picked. That and Simon had mentioned teaching her how to open security locks, the modern ones.

A nod toward the mill's roof and she spoke, giving an answer about the dangers and benefits of using this way.

"They're not guarded and not many tired guards look up. It's the safest entry point I think. You need to see where you'll drop, and if it's too high there is no chance to get in or out without a good rope. Breaking the skylight glass is too loud, so prying it open is preferable. Getting a big haul out this way can be a pain."

She tiptoed toward the edge of the roof and peered at the dark streets below. She wouldn't want to get caught down there – remaining high up on their way in and out was the only available option in her opinion.

Rylok

So nodded along with Cas, point by point, until she mentioned prying up the glass pane.

"Not a bad idea, but some of the glass panes are heavier'n hell. We'll test it when we get there to see if we're dealing with the easy sort or not."

It was beginning to dawn in him that I death was more of a boon to him as a thief than as a mere adventurer. He was not at all winded, didn't have to watch his breathing, and a fall, slip, or injury was meaningless now. And the heavy glass? It'd be a long time before he found a piece of glass he couldn't lift. The angle might be funny, but he was stronger now than he'd ever been.

With mock chivalry, he motioned for her to go first. Getting the loot out would be an interesting problem for them and he hasn't quite figured out the solution to that problem yet. He'd keep thinking as they worked.

Black Cat

One easy jump later and Caslawen stood atop the mill, her prize now positioned somewhere below. Cas' lithe body crouched and she inspected one window after another. A thick layer of dust shamelessly sat on each, indicating poor maintenance just like she had predicted. The locks withered away under a rusty coat, their inner mechanism destroyed. The girl rubbed some of the dust away with her forearm and peered in. The dirty glass left much to imagination, but little to no light could be seen inside the mill.

A poke of her knife into the lock proved enough to shatter the frail insides and cause the ill-maintained device to snap off. When her hand grabbed the window pane by the frame and tugged at it, nothing happened. It was heavy, possibly a bit rusty also.

The half-elf thief traced along the frame with the edge of her knife in search of an opening. When the knife slid in, she pushed it further, praying the dull grating whine did not alert anyone below. A pull at the knife's handle and the heavy frame finally budged. The teenager cast a look over her shoulder and nodded toward the other side of the window, motioning for Simon to grab the other end.

And the petite thief pushed, pushed hard, feeling her muscles cry out, and managed to overcome the weight to open the window, immediately able to sense as the warmer air from the inside kissed her skin.

Rylok

Simon hopped over after Cas and watched her work. She was lucky with the locks; rusted locks either crumbled or were his biggest pain in the ass struggles as the mechanisms fought to align properly.

"Here...some oil on the frame here and here," he whispered, drawing out a small vial of golden lubricant. He dripped a few drops on the frame where he indicated, then joined Cas in lifting the frame.

She'd struggled...but he didn't. His body felt no pain and so did not limit him to human normals when it came to lifting ability. He merely had to grip, push, and smoothly stand in order to get the pane up and out of their way. This would be, no doubt, another thing she would wonder about. Simon amused himself with trying to figure out how she was going to reconcile her idea that he was old with him displaying superhuman capabilities. 

The amusement carried through to his mood as he looked into the factory below. It was a long drop...there were support beams crossing the ceiling, but even getting to those was a good ten feet down.

"Long way down...tie a rope off and follow," he instructed, sounding too chipper. Simon didn't need a rope in order to feel safe enough to just roll forward and down into the abyss. His cloak fluttered around him like a bat's wings, and he casually reached out and grabbed a bracer beam and swung onto it. He perched on it and motioned for Cas to follow.