Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

There in the tomb the dark gets blacker - To Hyde.

Started by Anonymous, July 06, 2008, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

OOC: It's kind of long and awkward, but hopefully I'll get better with practise  :)

It was very early, and very dark, still. It had rained, and the air was heavy and wet and sweet with it, and yet vaguely suggestive of rot; for where there are men enough the accumulated smell of them is penetrating and difficult to shake. There was not too much of a smell, now, and as the sun had not yet risen so was the world of Titus Kato foreshortened to the width and breadth of his own bones and skin, and the flies that had settled, there; the slave-camp was in shadow. The world, as he knew it to be, demonstrated itself only in the collective noises a hundred people are like to make when sleeping, in the murmurings and shuddery twitchings that accompany bad dreams. Titus Kato himself was still. While kitchen-slaves and servant-boys might weep face-down in straw wet with rain and their own refuse, the man called Titus was a soldier down to his marrow, and it was beyond his means to free himself of the fact. Even had he wished to, the man called Titus Kato could not cry for, being a soldier above all, his body both recognized and welcomed rest under all circumstances; he was asleep. A warrior is not born but made, and he is made when he begins to recognize that battle is nothing but logic and arithmetic. It amounts to recognizing the proper moment for all things and Titus, having learned this, recognized that the eve before a transfer was the proper time for sleeping.

He had been unlucky in his purchase; fortune had screwed him once more, as it had, summarily, the length of his hard and charm-less life. He had been born a slave and bred a soldier and while glory in battle could win freedom for the man capable of it, and often did, Titus had the bad luck of developing a taste for wine that bought him only the lash. In times of peace he lived with a company of slavers in the pay of his proprietor, and they were charged with fattening him up for sale or battle but did little in that respect to earn their wages. The slave Titus Kato suffered the cold and the wind and the feel of his own great, strong body falling to disrepair; above all he suffered the restlessness of a caged man who has known, once, what it was to be free. He remembered the long marches down disused cattle-roads through valleys quiet and forgot, and he remembered what it was to fight, and to feel, deeply, the capability of one's own body. He knew these things, and what it was to feel the healthy tiredness of a proper man, instead of the perpetual exhaustion that weeks in the damp squalor of the camp had wrought upon him. He was unhappy, here, but at least under the ownership of the knight Sir Howland there had been for him the promise of some battle. There was always fighting to be done, and Howland was dependably in the midst of it. Yet Titus was to be sold, he understood, and to undertake the job of bodyguard and slave to a respectable, city-bound noblewoman. The gods pissed upon him.

Titus' sleep hardly deserved the title, for the heavy step of the slave-master relieved him swiftly of it. The slave-master Myron jostled him amiably and gave him great, smacking blows with the flat of the blade, less because he had to than because he, too, was a big, bumbling man who expressed himself so. They liked one another, these two, and so it was that Myron helped Titus from the cage and allowed him a moment to loosen the tightness accumulated in his limbs. "Time to go, old man," the slave-master said happily, and they went together to the river to dash cold water upon themselves and drive sleep from their minds. The women of the family had begun to light the cooking-fires, with some difficulty thanks to the damp; the two men tripped tiredly down the low, sloping banks of the river, and broke the surface scum to dip their hands and faces into the chill green waters. It was quiet, there, and still, and there was a mist upon the water that lent a sweetly sad beauty to the backdrop of Titus' sufferings, so that even in his restlessness to be on his way there was bitterness, yielding itself up, there, in the great, strong heart of the mercenary killer. They ate, the slave and his master, swiftly and sparingly, and warmed themselves with whiskey. The road would be long, and unforgiving, for they had no horses and would walk the busy, milling trade-road into the city. They wrapped their bodies in sheathes of black sacking, and set out upon the road.  

The men were lucky, for they happened early upon a farmer with a cart bearing sacks of grain to market; they sat amongst the grain, cloaks pulled tight about them, and dreamt to the measure and rhythm of their travels. In the shadow of the linden trees they lay and stretched out and said nothing to one another, for they were comfortable in their silence; one of them would cough, occasionally, and then settle himself deeper among the grain. The cart in which they sat was surrounded on all sides with people of all sorts traveling into the city, among them farmers and peasants living outside the defended walls. Big sinewy men bore sacks of produce upon their great wide backs, and burdened their mules and worn-down old ponies equally; the slave-master was at home, here, and looked about him cheerfully and openly. Titus Kato, his hood pulled close about his face, was of the same mind. He was familiar with the city, and as they breached the gates recognized the bustle of it with something akin to the feeling of a home-coming. This was the city where he had been born. Hawkers set up their wares in the streets in ramshackle, rickety stalls, and slaves collected water from the rain barrels set up in the narrow corridors between houses; prostitutes walked quietly home, and the dice ceased to roll in the ale-houses. People talked on the steps of the temples, shoulder-to-shoulder with smoldering idols of wattle and daub. Such was the city Titus Kato had been born into.

The quarter in which the noblemen lived was a different sort altogether, for whereas the offal streamed and steamed in the streets closest to the city walls, those closest to the castle were straight and swept clean, and no beggars shook their baskets for the collection of coin; this was a different world altogether, and Titus Kato entered it as one entering a foreign place, in which his common sense no longer served him. Yet, when a house-keeper looked at him in a way he did not like, he allowed himself the luxury of grinning wickedly at her in a fashion that twisted his scarred, tortured face still further, and she jumped, and began to run. "Sour old witch," he said, and the two men laughed. Such was Titus Kato, forever irreverent and irreligious. They went through the back gate of a big, severe house and down a path bordered with ferns and sweet alyssum, and were let in discreetly at the servant's entrance. In the shadows there they waited, silently, and patiently, for the family to finish their breakfast. Mugs of tea were given them, and the dripping stub of a candle in a chipped china saucer; such was the reception of slaves in the noble houses of Serendipity. Yet the two men were not unhappy, and Titus was not bitter, for he had not anticipated his welcome to be of any importance to anyone. He supposed, subconsciously, that the girl for whom he was to work had had many slaves in her time, was used to it, would, finally, think nothing of him. He presumed, for in his experience such was always the case, that she was soft, and spoiled. He knew of no other kind of noblewoman.

So it was that the two men waited in the dim annals of the Bloom house, and so it was that when presented to the women they stood in the parlor tall, and still, as the clock on the mantle told the passage of the time. Titus had pulled back his hood that his face might be seen; he was scarred, and ugly, and had deep-set eyes the color of the sea. "This is the man that has been recommended for you, my lady," the slave-master Myron said, "he is strong, and sure, and he has known war; however, if he does not please you there are others among my slaves who might do." There was a pause, and it was uncomfortable and shy; somewhere a dog whined, and the apple-trees outside the parlor window shook painfully with the wind.

Anonymous

The Bloom house was quiet in the mornings now. It seemed after Adelaide had wed and moved from the manor, the house seemed almost empty. Belinda had breakfast alone on the patio this morning, enjoying the soft spring morning. This morning her new employee was to arrive. She had awoken early to handle the matter before Cecilia came down for breakfast. Belinda was a very different woman. She did not believe in owning flesh. She believed in incentives and giving a damn. Belinda was known for having the best house staff in Serendipity. Nobles through out the kingdom had tried to find out her secret for such loyal and dedicated staff. Honestly, it was nothing more then respect, generous pay and trust. She had not yet had an employee take advantage of the situation. Betsey came outside with a fresh pot of coffee and informed her that her guests had arrived. "Wouldja like me ta brin' out 'ere, mi'lady?" Betsey's broken accent filled the summer air. Belinda shook her head. "No, that wouldn't be necessary. I shall go in and see to them in the study. Show them in there."

Belinda finished her cup of coffee before patting her lips dry and making her way in to the study. shrewd green eyes looked over both men. There was no judgment in the gaze, but there was assessment. The slaver spoke to her and those assessing eyes shifted to him. Holding his gaze till he finished and she replied. "No. That will not be necessary. You may go. Your services will no longer be needed. If I have any more needs, I shall find you. But until then, help yourself to some breakfast in the kitchen. Betsey will show you to the kitchen." The older housekeeper appeared in to the doorway and showed Myron to the toward the kitchen. "Myra is cookin' up a storm. I 'ope ya like biscuits and eggs. We got sum fresh orange juice too. Now don't doddle. I gots me some work to be doin' and I don't need ya taken up my time. House won't clean itself." Betsey hustled Myron off to the kitchen as Belinda turned her attention to Titus.

Belinda was not a large woman in stature. But she had presence. She had an air about her that could take up an entire room. She tended to smother those around her that weren't used to the storm that she really was. She was older, in her early 50's perhaps. She was on the shorter side, only 5'5. This morning she wore a dark blue dress and her gray and black hair pulled up in to a loose bun. Though she looked older and her sharp looks had softened with age. There was still strength in her. She held great power yet was as playful as a kitten and just as kind. She smiled to Titus and gestured to a high backed wing chair. "Please, sit down. I am sure you are quite tired from your journey. And as I had expected, the company you were with has lacked in your care. I am ashamed to see this. It is unfitting." Her eyes were soft as she spoke, but that softness was not to be mistaken with weakness. Her voice was still short and to the point. "I was told your name is Titus Kato by Myron. He recommended you for this position. I am Duchess Belinda Bloom. As of now, I own you. But that is not my way. All those that work here are Employees and I extent the same option to you as those that have come to Bloom manor before." She paused a moment, assessing his reaction before continuing. "I extent this choice to you. I have paid for your freedom. As of this moment, you are no longer a slave. All I ask in return is that you work off you debit. I ask for a year of your service and after that, you may remain here as an employee with a generous salary or you may find your own way." Again, she paused to allow this to sink in. For him to realize exactly what she was saying. "I'm sure you are wondering about the year of service. You are free to come and go as long as your duties are fulfilled. You will be given a weekly pay. Unless asked, nights are your own. During the day, I simply ask you to do your duties. You will be given a room in the east wing of the manor. Byron and Betsey manage most of the household and the property. However, for your duties, you will be reporting to be on a daily basis."

She was silent again. Those dark green eyes watching him carefully. This was the man she would intrust the safety of her only ward left. She wasn't sure yet what she saw in him. She could see he was capable yes. But rather or not he would actually fulfill his duty and take the assignment to heart was the question. Cecilia was being reckless with her own body and how could she think she would sit around and allow her to test fate. She had taken care of Adelaide. Found her a husband that would care for her and give her what she needed. Cecilia would be much more of a challenge. She gave a quiet exasperated sigh before turning her attention back to him. "Now, I'm sure Myron has told you I required a capable bodyguard. However, I'm afraid it is not for me. But for my ward, Cecilia. I'm sure you have an idea of what she will be like and I would like you to forget it. Because she never is what you think she will be. I'll introduce you in a moment. I would like to explain your duties now. Cecilia is impulsive and reckless. She disregards her safety. I don't want to hinder her, however. I am simply worried about her safety. I want you to follow her and protect her wherever she goes. Consider yourself, her new best friend. Now, unless you have an questions, I shall make the introduction." She waited a moment, before moving across the study and opening the door. "Hollie, be a dear and fetch Cilia for me, would you?" She nodded in thanks before returning to the desk. She waited for Cecilia.

(I figured I would bring Cilia in at the next post. Kinda ended up with allot in this one. =)

Anonymous

OOC: Sounds good to me!

"Very good, my lady."

Finding his presence unnecessary, even undesirable, Myron patted Titus roughly upon the back in the gruff, friendly way they had towards one another; the sound was loud and unfitting, and seemed to echo about the close, scented study, embarrassing the slave-master. He therefore bowed awkwardly and fled the room after the quick footstep of Betsey, to whom he responded, not unkindly, "Yes, yes, woman, I'm on me way." Titus did not watch the trader go, nor give any sign of his feelings, but he allowed within himself that, however much he had hated the slave-camp, he had not hated Myron. He recognized that Myron did what he did out of necessity, and not cruelty; for was he, Titus, not just as well-fed as Myron's children, that had the look of hungry cubs about their thin, sweet faces? True, he could never in all sincerity like the slave-trader, but he could not manage any feeling of particular hatred for him; of course Lady Bloom could cast blame, being in a position of plenty that allowed her to luxuriate in rigorous morals. Men such as Myron, such as Titus Kato, were not at liberty to consider anything other then the hard facts that permitted them to live. Titus liked the woman before him implicitly, but had the feeling that to agree with her would have been a betrayal; therefore he only smiled, and sat, awkwardly, in a little armchair ill-proportioned for a man of his size. He felt faintly ridiculous, having rarely been in a house and being the man least suited to the rose-bud wall-paper and chintz arm-chairs.  He cracked his knuckles uncomfortably, and then folded his hands on his knees, acutely aware of her deep examination of him. Luckily, he was not a man given to fidgeting, and so managed to appear unbothered. He had never before been put out for auction on the sale-block in the city square, but imagined that this was how it must feel.

Silence held. The house was quite bare, and quiet, and still, and to Titus Kato this translated itself as severity; he was not much used to being alone, for he had lived his life in open fields and ate from pots steaming over cooking-fires and found his friends among the great, crushing crowds of sweating, fighting, and laughing men of his regiment. What he knew of women he learned of those that frequented those fields, loose women that had little to do with noblewomen, with this Belinda Bloom. She was made of steel, and he recognized this in her; she reminded him of a Captain in his regiment. The Captain had been soft-spoken, had sacrificed according to the religious almanacs, had not drunk with his men or taken women, and so it was that his regiment had taken him for soft; yet when a man had broken formation in the fields that man had got for his pride thirty lashings, and no soldier had taken the Captain for soft again. So it was, he felt, with the Duchess Bloom. She was inclined to be generous, he saw that immediately, and she had the means to do so; her servants were trussed up in good, clean cloth, and the house, equally clean, was furnished well. She had money with which to motivate her staff, but he had the feeling that it was that sharp tongue of hers, sharp, yes, and certain of itself, that did the trick; for he had found that it was fear that drove men to fight best, and he had no doubt it was so with hired help. So it was that, with the same feeling he had when faced with a superior officer, Titus Kato sat at attention, back straight and chin forward, for the benefit of a woman head and shoulders shorter than himself.

He had inferred her character upon first hearing her speak, for he was quick to realize, in the way in which she dressed and carried herself, that she was a woman that brooked no nonsense; these types were seldom prone to the fits of romanticism and crying that had been known to shake well-bred women with nothing better to think about, and he thanked the gods that he had happened upon a woman with good sense. He did not much care to be a charity case, but he found that she managed him well and sensibly and was grateful for it. He recognized that her ownership of him was as binding as that of a slave-owner, and, indeed, that this changed little, perhaps, for him; he was bound to her steadily and surely, for what work was there for the unskilled laborer with the slave-brand upon his skull, visibly distinguishable above the ear? Nonetheless, he respected her will to do things her own way, for that was what this was; it was the unbending decision of a woman to remain at peace with herself, and she did it confidently and remorselessly. He respected that in her.

"That's fair, ma'am."

She did not allow him much time to speak, and he liked that too, for he would not have known what to say. He did not often trouble himself with his circumstances, did not think about himself much at all beyond what was necessary, and, finally, would not have known how to speak. Yet, upon his two feet, with nothing but his body to speak for him, he was confident enough. He was strong, and sure, and he had a good eye and a penetrating foresight. His size alone was incentive enough for hire; he was very tall, and very broad in the shoulders and back (though he had become thin, and hollowed out), and was at heart a good man. The job was not one he would have chosen, was, in fact, one he implicitly did not like, but if nothing else she might trust in his pride. Though he would drink wine until wholly, utterly drunk, and though he had not much of a way about him with the women, still he was proud, and honest, and well-intentioned, and could not bear to be found wanting in a simple job requiring only brute force. There was that, and the fact that, like all men, he was apt to do anything to earn his living. Titus Kato was no less sensible than she, and though he remained rough, and happy, and irreverent, to have survived this long, as he had, required a mind that appreciated the subtleties of staying alive. He did what he had to do, and sometimes more (a man of his heart, mind, and stature was never contented with less).
Titus Kato had trusted that she, Lady Bloom, was to be his charge, and had looked upon it as good fortune. She was a good woman, certainly, but further she was confident, and sensible, and this made things much easier for a man, like Titus Kato, charged with her well-being. Now, though his face was inexpressive, and could be trusted to betray no indication of his true feelings, he was uncomfortable and vaguely unhappy. He had a presentiment that the young girl was trouble. True, every mother, even an adoptive one, was convinced of the peculiarity of their own child; the fact that Lady Bloom thought her niece unique, and unpredictable, did not necessarily make it so. Humans, Titus Kato had learned, were essentially the same, and, having the same needs, would react much the same under similar circumstances; however, the words 'impulsive' and 'reckless' disturbed him, and made him uncomfortable where previously he had been calm, and certain. He anticipated, by Lady Bloom's tone, that the girl was a particular weakness of hers. The woman was made of iron, but the girl seemed to have bled her dry. This in itself forewarned him of her capabilities. Nonetheless, he remained confident of his own. He did not trust himself to be a good influence on the girl but, should the need arise, he would not hesitate to hold her bodily.

"It shall be as you wish, ma'am," he said.