Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Getting into Town

Started by Anonymous, January 25, 2009, 04:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

WARNING: Wow..I never though I'd have to do this, and even if so, not on my first thread! Joking joking, but anyways..Warning, mature content.

As the sun seemed to be reeling in, a certain luthier had felt the weight of the day...Not that he actually did anything note worthy, but he found out avoiding work was actually just as hard as working...Especially you have to hide from place to place...You'd think that just repairing a lute or mandolin, or just restringing a Hurdy Gurdy or two would be quite easy...But..it was! Too bad Zach didn't feel that way.

But anyways, that was neither here or there, as the fact was still at hand, he was definitely tired. With his trusty guitar slung around his back. He thought it to be a grand idea to get some sort of nourishment before checking into some place and probably hit the streets. With a few minutes of strolling around, he saw a tavern called "Owens", and without little hesitation, decided it was the ideal place to fill his need.

OCC: If you are interested in how the guitar looks...http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 418235.jpg

Anonymous

It was never calm at the tavern and not because of rowdy patrons -- although they certainly had their fair share -- and more because of the Thomas family who actually ran the place. Callie's head was just beginning to pound as her older -- yes, older -- sister's voice hit eardrum-shattering and dog-whistle levels. Callie would be damned if she knew what it was this time that had her sister in such a fit. At least she knew why her younger sister, Laraine, was bawling her eyes out and that was because Laraine had just witnessed her mother kill a chicken. Despite watching things like that nearly daily, her sister was a bleeding heart. Callie wondered, not for the first time, just how she managed to be so damned sensitive to everything. Wasn't is tiring? Annoying, even? Just a little troublesome?

And then her little brother had to break their biggest pot. She doesn't know how he did it, she doesn't really want to know, but he did it. Callie hadn't the time to fix it (as she seems to do with most things that fall about in the tavern) and instead bustled out into the area. She stood, in the doorway, peering out into the tavern. Dark, homey and cozy. But surprisingly spacey, kept clean -- thanks to a slave-driver of a mother -- but quickly becoming crowded.

Determinedly, she weaved through the crowd, forcing a pleasant smile while clearing off tables and maneuvering chairs and tables to the best of her ability. It never failed that whenever regular customers came they had this deep desire to mess with the basic layout of the tavern. So instead they made huge clusters of people that you couldn't get through unless you physically climbed over people. Not like that wasn't the goal of some of the men to begin with.

"Sir, what would ya like?" she asked Zachary, giving him a brief glance with her bright blue eyes from beneath her brown curls before another cursory glance to his guitar. Musician? Usually they were pretty poor. That's if he was one.

"Callie, my sweet, how's that darlin' sister of yours?" A regular patron asked, his alcohol breath drifting over her shoulder.

"Too crazy for you," she replied, her voice polite but audibly cooler. "Roger's drinking yours," she lies, pointing at the half-empty mug that's waiting for the drunk. He stumbles over, yelling at poor Roger who is clear across the room.

Go figure.

Anonymous

He peered through his thoughts, trying to muster up some sort of thoughts on what to get...He felt kinda strange, for the fact he felt rather burnt out for no real reason. It was rather typical that he didn't do much but run from working, but today, he just felt rather dazed out..But when Callie called upon him for an order of some sort, he quickly and reluctantly snapped out of it..

"...Augh..." he groaned.

"I need something strong..." he said grudgingly, like it was pulling teeth.

His hand slowly found its way to the golden locks of hair that was drifting below forehead level and combed upwards so he could see better. Whilst doing that, he tried to support his somewhat dropping head from collapsing on the the table.

Anonymous

Ever have that feeling like you just wanted to scream so everyone around you would be quiet? Callie was beginning to feel a little bit like that. There were voices from the back, towards the kitchen and back yard, and then there were people all around her. Voices filling up the area around her, swelling and throbbing. She glances at Zachary, her eyes narrowed. A hand lifts to brush her own hair out of her way so she can see him better. For a second, she can't help but to look irritated.

"That's helpful." She muttered under her breath, stepping away from the jostle of a burly, grizzled man.

Callie's control on the mental switch that allows her to view the world normally and, well, in 'color' falters. Instead of just looking at Zachary, she's looking at an intricately woven tapestry of a variety of colors. Every single thread was a part of him, of emotion, personality and, at current, the most vibrant was the blue-green of exhaustion. Her gaze fell on him without pity. It'd be merciless if she knew that he was exhausted because he *avoided* work.

Whereas that tended to be all she did.

And then she noticed the magic. It struck a personal chord with her, if only because she had some magic. The expression she gives him is certainly slightly odd with the revelation that his personal colors had given her. "I'll get you something 'strong'" She told him before hurrying off, doing just that.

Did she want to ask? Not that he could help. Barely anyone in her family could, and while she wasn't nosy enough to ask outright to anyone she had a good understanding that she was the first with any kind of magic born in their family for a long time. Damn.

Callie was almost back at Zachary's table, a mug in her hand with natural herbs to perk someone up from exhaustion. She was just setting it down when she felt impact. Hard, jostling her forward nearly across Zachary's table with all the liquid in the mug splashing up and out, in Zachary's general direction.

Horror and embarrassment expressively war for display across her face. "S... So sorry..." Is the only thing she can utter.

Anonymous

It was a weird sensation that overcame him, it was first a quite nice one, as he got doused by the drink, but then the stingy sensation of the eyes was not something he enjoyed at all. Without hesitation he jolted up and mumbled unde his breath something not so friendly, but quickly digressed. As the remnants of the drink came running down his cheek, his curios tongue darted out and kidnapped a couple of droplets, tasting it, his at first annoyed expression soften.

"Tasty" he said, teeth all out in a smile..As if nothing had just happen.

In a way, he wanted to investigate what just happen..And by investigate, that meant finding someone that looked like they could of been the culprit and beating the living hell out of them and then strangling them was a set of guitar strings he had on him. After thinking such a malicious thought though, he shrugged it off and set his sea-foam green eyes on the partner in crime...Callie.

"No worries..."

Anonymous

Callie was relieved -- he wasn't going to rave and scream about how she spilled a drink on him. She could really see that messing up the rest of her day, and possibly the next few days if her mother decided to put her 'probation' and making her do all the dull and menial tasks. Things she does anyway, but in excess. Like all that cleaning that could wait, and all that back-breaking stuff that would take the whole family to get done in a reasonable amount of time. And then put Callie on it for a few days and then it gets cleaned up, sure, probably ten times longer but only sparing one person from work.

Although she was a bit taken aback by the smile, as if she hadn't just spilled his drink on him. And he even tasted it. And said it was good. She still looked worried, even though he said there was nothing to worry about.

Suddenly, realizing she was just staring at him, she scrambled in the silly apron she was forced to wear for practicality reasons and pulled out a towel. A 'just in case' thing for things that happened just like this. Callie almost started mopping him up before catching herself. Her cheeks heated up before she abruptly dropped the towel in his lap. "I'll get more towels..." She mumbled to him before doing just that.

She came back with probably too many towels and a drink which she carefully set down. Callie offered him some towels before taking one and cleaning off the table top, lifting up the mug so she didn't knock it off and setting it back down without incident. "I'm so sorry, really. This is on the house, o'course. I'm sure if you want to use well out back... And thank you for not losing your mind, although you did have an odd response... Not that I'm complaining. And I'm rambling." Her tone went from apologetic and bashful from thoughtful to flat in the duration of what she said.

Anonymous

He was rather curious about her antics. She seemed to be overworked, and just tensed out. As he watched the girl ramble on about her sympathy for spilling the drink, he firmly placed a hand on her shoulder and brought a warm smile upon his face.

"You don't need to explain, we all make mistakes, right? And thank you for the drink.."

He grabbed himself a towel and cleaned up the remaining beads of alcohol rolling on his face that weren't wiped up from the girl. After doing so, he sat down and grabbed the mug and brought it to his mouth, slowly emptying it and giving a hearty and satisfied sigh.

He felt replenished, and a bit pricked up from a long day of nothing..He soon began going into a medley of thoughts about how life was going, but when his eyes took gander at Callie, he realized that still in the real world and there was no need for the nostalgic memories.

Anonymous

Callie's eyes flickered to the hand on her shoulder. Undoubtedly, it was supposed to be a reassuring gesture. Still, she nudged it off as quickly as it was put there. Practically she allowed for the thought that he didn't know she wasn't particularly fond of touching -- at least strangers. So instead she busied herself with the menial task of cleaning and nodding her head briskly at him. What a forgiving fellow, she thought dryly to herself. He seemed pretty relaxed.

Her sight adjusted again, leaving her pausing in the confusion of vivid color. The colors swam in a mind-jarring mix, most sweetly tainted with drink, leaving the colors temporarily altered. Her gaze shunted back to Zachary, the only known person she could easily find who wasn't drinking. And she noticed the thin thread of gold, the signifying color of magic. She examined the thread, but the thread itself said nothing more than he could do magic.

"Can I get you anything else, sir? How good are you at magic?" The last part was for curiosity's sake. She wanted to know, to understand, although she knew there were different kinds of magic. Although she couldn't quite remember who had told her as much.

Anonymous

He found it quite odd that she coldly moved away...Then again, he nearly forgot how more easy-going and carefree he was than most humanoids...Though she seemed more tightly wrapped up than the strings he put on his guitars, he was sure it was probably because of working..Especially in at a place that was more public and welcomed probably anyone and everyone wanting a good mug. He tried equating it to hearing someone just fiddling away improperly at the violin...The loudness screeches which probably would match up to all the jibber jabber she heard 24 hours a day.

As he began pondering, his ears luckily stayed ready for action and immediately snatched up her question..In which he gave a so-so expression.

"Ehh..I'm not the best at it..Like, I can do little things by myself, it's what I use as a tool that makes it greater." he said, a little bit wishy washy about it..He was indeed not so keen on it, especially because he had to need for it. But reluctantly enough, he grabbed his guitar and then let his fingers dance about on it. Though it couldn't be seen, he release some sort of aura through his finger tips which plucked the strings, making the sound seem to have more weight and resonate.

Not only was the sound of it magnificent enough, the imagery was nearly gasping, as the aura took form into something of magnificent display..Though it only lasted for a minute or two (since the people around started getting annoyed ^^;) it was quite the site.  

OOC: Eh...Some things that might better enhance the imagery of it and such..

Song that is being played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZpyczttwWA

Imagery of the aura: http://fc52.deviantart.com/fs18/i/2007/ ... archon.jpg

DISCLAIMER: None of these are mine..Obviously..XD

Anonymous

Callie watched with something like rapture on her face. Magic... had a certain allure to it. It was especially enthralling as the color gold shimmered along the guitar strings, running along its smooth sides and twisting through Zachary. She'd never really seen any magic in practice except for her own. And to say the least, her magic wasn't anything particularly fascinating or brilliant. Just a few colors that when put together somehow formed a coherent spell that made something happen. Or stopped something from happening. Almost like a generic witch, minus the words. Which was particularly odd and even odder to explain. So she since stopped even attempting to tell people what she was whenever she came across the chance to use magic, which was quite rare.

"That is great," she told him in this level honesty, without gushing or enthusiasm but with a sincerity that was hard to ignore anyway. She stated it as a nearly indisputable fact.

She looked like she was about to say something more before a slender, delicate hand landed on her shoulder. Visibly, Callie tensed before identifying the person. Grace, the person who'd been shrieking earlier. Callie marginally relaxes, a brow lifting in question to Grace. Unquestionably, Grace was the 'beautiful' sister. Oh, you know, the best of the brood, making the others seem less. Grace was more slender and taller, barely any lighter in complexion than Callie, with long brown waves and a light delicate cast of freckles with sensuous features and blue eyes similar to Callie's, minus the vibrancy of her eyes.

"If you'd stop your flirting could you get back in the kitchen? I have to go meet Robin." Grace was more or less demanding, her tone slightly malicious.

Callie, by the looks of it, wasn't affected. Instead, Callie deliberately pulled out the chair across from Zachary, made sure it was clean (more of an attempt to make Grace wait) and seated herself. The tilt of Callie's chin suggested a mulish stubbornness.

"I didn't have to come in today. It's your day. I'm not going back in the kitchen," Callie spoke evenly, in this practical, factual way. She sounded polite with the same detachment she spoke to Zachary in.

Grace's eyes narrowed. She drew herself up to her full height, possibly only two inches taller than Callie. "Don't be spiteful, just because Robin chose me instead of you," she hissed.

Callie's eyebrows lifted in this, 'excuse me?' way. "I don't remember ever competing."

"That's not what Robin said." There was definite smugness in her voice.

"Then he's as crazy as you." Factually spoken. Nothing malicious in her tone, just as if Callie was speaking as if it were the weather.

Grace's face turned red, stomping her foot in a way that screamed spoiled brat. She spun around, her jaw set angrily and ignoring the men trying to console her and distract her from her obvious anger. Callie almost grinned. Almost. She stopped herself in time.

She opted for shaking her head instead, looking at Zachary. "I suggest if you run into her again this evening, avoid her. She won't be happy." Callie told him honesty, just a friendly warning for him. "She's not a bad person. Just crazy," she said, mostly off-handedly, feeling an obligation to try to do right by her sister. A kind of protectiveness.

Anonymous

Zachary nodded with a slight hesitation, trying to fully recieve what just happen, though it was just words themselves, he was sure that one of the sisters were going to pull out a knife or something and start some sort of brawl...But as Grace retreated, he lessen the grip on his guitar and eased his mind of some sort of escape route through the two girls, the drunkard 5 meters away, and the exit..So anyways, he placed his guitar down and sat in a chair next to Callie..

"So what were we talking about...Oh--oh, yeah, magick..Such a weird thing..And thank you, though I don't really care much for it, the skill I mean..Since I honestly don't use it, and I don't have much confrontation..Anyways, do you know magick? Or are you trying to learn it, I could probably teach you the basics.." He stated rather curiously.

He was somewhat interested to know more about this person..Though he didn't know whether he should stick around or find a placed to rest for the day..He had heard places fill up pretty quickly around here..So with an impatient nag at him, he just asked

"Do you know any boarding places near by?...For I unfortunately have to find one before I'm probably stuck er...Begging for a place to stay.." and by begging, he meant silently, sneaking into someone's places and sleeping in their common room and hopefully not being found out until the morn.

Anonymous

Callie felt she should probably be more ashamed that there had been such a public display of... a familial dispute. Unfortunately, things like that happened pretty regularly in her family. It was hard to be private with eight other siblings, even harder to keep tempers and voices down when you're arguing. Tempers had a tendency to flare in the Thomas household and quite quickly when you're dealing with semi-crazy or crazy individuals. At least, that's how Callie thought of her family. There was something wrong with everyone. Mostly, everyone just obsessed about things. Or had paranoia or anxiety.

"I know some. I'm still learning... Nah, don't worry about teachin' me," she told him easily, her shoulders rolling forward in a surprisingly easy manner, considering.

She tilted her head curiously before a slow grin curved her lips as he asked about a place to stay. Her index finger landed lightly on the table before her other hand gestured lightly in the general area to take in the tavern. "We also lodge. We have rooms upstairs that are open. How long ya gunna stay?" She asked, glancing into the room of the tavern. The men were getting even more rowdy as the night progressed. By the time it hit full dark they'd be ready to brawl, she thought.

"Would you mind telling me a little bit about your magic?" She couldn't keep the curiosity out of her voice as her bright blue eyes shunted towards him, although occasionally flickering back to the large grouping of tipsy and drunk men.

Anonymous

He couldn't help but wonder why Callie's eyes went adrift from time to time, but as he heard the increasing noise of drunken laughter, arguing and such; he figured it out..So he decided to play it safe, thinking that it would be better if he got a room first before someone got hurt. Which he perfectly imagined what would happen, and that would mean that 2-3 of these men would have to go to the hospitable that Zachary would diagnose himself. It's one and only symptom would be pieces of guitar string embedded into their twisted legs..

But enough of the malicious thoughts, he went into action.

"Why don't I first get a room and talk where no one could bother us...Wait..That definitely did not sound right..I mean, I can answer your question better with out the noise~"

He could feel a bead of sweet roll down his forehead. He was not good with word sometimes, but  he quickly shirked it off and hope she would too. His eyes soon shifted to the direction where he thought would be the lounge for the lodging, but then remember he had someone who actually worked here..So his eyes gazed at her patiently..For once actually realizing he had never actually took in her features...He had such a bad habit of not paying attention at things like this.  

Anonymous

Compared to Grace, who was all sensuous curve and graceful lines, Callie had a more average appearance. Five-seven, a little tall for a female but her family was pretty tall in general. And her brown curls, constantly curling into her eyes and around her slightly square face, were cut short. Perhaps another oddity for a female, but Callie had a special fondness for practicality. And short hair was more practical than long hair, even if her bangs were a touch too long and obscured her pretty, bright blue eyes from time to time. There was nothing special about her nose, it was straight with a spade-tip and set beneath with a full mouth. Don't forget the freckles! Of course, another of her pet peeves about her appearance. But they weren't going anywhere and she certainly had them in abundance. She was a 'sturdy' girl, perhaps, at least physically 'thick' with straighter sides, definite hips and a large bust, she wasn't the... delicate feminine type. Physically or in personality, really, so she couldn't complain.

Her angled brows lifted up over her eyes, although the action was obscured beneath her bangs that curled off to the right. She gave a throaty laugh, unintentional and natural, and shook her head at him. "I understand. I don't want to have to help break up fights tonight. It's exhausting," Callie said in her honest, level way. Like it was completely normal for a woman to help break up bar fights. Or normal for anyone to actually break them up anyway. Like everyone did it. Then again, this was Callie's life. From day one.

She stood, idly brushing and straightening her clothing. She took a moment to remember how she hated dresses -- but it was required. Her mother told all the girls to look pretty and the boys to look handsome. It required appealing wear -- her mother loved to say that girls in pants or trousers just wasn't very appealing. Dresses were impractical. But arguing with her mother was just wasting breath. And time.

Callie wended her way through the crowd, skirting the group with the kind of practice that suggested she avoided rowdy groups of drunks a lot. It wasn't that hard, as long as you didn't grab their attention. They mostly stayed focused on what they were doing -- drinking, arguing and telling loud stories. Callie enjoyed it more when they sang, even those rude, bawdy songs.

She turned up a narrow set of stairs off the side of the room and took them them to the top and to the right, pausing at the second door on the right wall. She took out the extra keys and handed one to Zachary. She drew her finger across the door in a simple circle, a thin line of orange following in its wake before fading. Callie turned the handle and pushed it open, stepping aside and gesturing subtly for him to enter.

The room was small, simple cot against the right wall with a wool blanket and pillow, a table and two chairs in the upper left hand corner with a window directly across from the door that peered out over the backyard. "It isn't much. But I assure you, it's clean. And warm enough." Spoken with honesty. Callie wasn't much for lying.

Anonymous

He nodded eagerly, looking at the small room as if he was verifying what she was saying. He actually found it nice, especially compared to the times he had to camp in the middle of no where..He wasn't much for camping, though he did love nature, he was just the person to get easily spooked. Pushing back those memories though, Zach zipped through the room and nested himself in the chair. His guitar of course, was still in his hand, as if it was stuck on him from some sort of adhesive. He waited for his company to sit down, so he could fully answer her question. Which he already knew he was going to have trouble with.

His began digging through his hair, and scratching at the surface in frustration. "Hmm..How can I explain..It's weird, it's like my power is rather plain, like a force that I can transfer through a medium of my choice..Though I can do one or two things without something of an instrument. I think of it like a force, or a canvas, something that is waiting to be crafted with...And also, to answer your question on the duration of my stay...I think 4 days will be it..Before I go to the next..Town." he said with some sort of grievance, a very slight one though..

"So...You know what's weird, I really don't know much about you...Neither do you know much about me..Though I have no real story..So, you go first~ " he was eagered to find out for a weird reason.

Anonymous

Callie left open the door, not for her own comfort but mostly for the simple fact that if anyone in her family did come upstairs, they could easily find her. And hopefully Grace couldn't use this as ammo against her, although Callie didn't think she wouldn't. Grace would -- at least this wouldn't be out of craziness. Just out of her spite and general inability to let something go.  

So Callie sat down in the other available seat, not particularly worried for her safety. She could scream pretty loudly -- and she was probably the least vulnerable of her sisters to begin with. While she may be just learning her magic she had already discovered the offensive spell (by accident, really). For a second though, she wondered how quick he could use his magic. It required a guitar, so it seemed a little difficult. Hers required, well, simply herself.

She listened attentively, nodding her head as he tried to explain, noting his frustration. She nodded again in acknowledgment of his stay. So he was a wanderer? Unless, of course, he was going to a particular place and Arca was just in the way.  

The next question took her by surprise. Her hand lifted to rub at the back of her neck as she thought about what to say, hell, where even to start! She didn't think her life was particularly interesting any way you looked at it. It was just... busy, full of nonsense. "There... isn't too much to say, really. Born and raised here. One of nine kids. The only one who can do magic in my family, currently." Her shoulders roll forward easily in a lazy shrug. "See? Not much to tell..."

Anonymous

Brushing his golden locks aside, he gestured a bit in response to Callie's 'answer'..She gave such brief background, but then again, he had also said he had no real background either. Or history for that matter, all he remember much about himself was that he repaired instruments and busked from time to time. Being raised in a foster care had prepared him with a need for adventure. A need to see the world and not stayed stuck in the same place..Which seemed to be Callie's situation right now. He knew she wasn't as dull as she put on, maybe there was a need to do something more than just stick around here for the rest of her life..

"Do you plan on doing something in the future? Or are you planning to stick around with your family..Which by the looks of it, you seem to have a special relationship with them..Or at leas your sister..." he stopped for a second trying to analyze what he had just said..

"No offense..." he mumbled out, fearing that she would and probably could kick the living crap out of him.

Trying to rush the situation by, he continued on. He nearly had also forgotten that she worked her, and maybe was taking up her time.

"I hope I'm not taking you away from doing anything you need to be doing.." the words came out nonchalantly but he tried to force the kindness. of them..Since he still didn't know whether the girl was going to take the previous comment into consideration and anger.

Anonymous

What a question! Certainly one that had been following her around for a few years as she grew into adulthood. What was she going to do with her life? Although it was a private question, since rarely did anyone ask her. So being presented with the question by another individual did surprise her. What were her plans? The most reasonable answer seemed to be the one she wanted to say least. 'Stay here'. Of all the damned things... It was likely and realistic. After all, where would she go? Her family was here, in Arca. Her immediate family ran a tavern. She'd always have a job, a place to stay with people she loved (but didn't necessarily like all the time).

Dismissively, she waved a hand at him as he tried to make up for the fact that what he said probably was a bit offensive. But to offend her it took a lot more than a statement like that. "Don't worry. I don't plan on it, but it seems likely that I'll stay here. My brothers are too busy to run this place, my sister is too crazy and that leaves me to possibly take over when my mother decides to hand it down. But that won't be for awhile." The fact that she says it without any real emotion, a detached fact, as if it doesn't affect her in the least.

But it does. She didn't realize how much she wanted to go somewhere else, at least for a little while. How strange.

She smiled, just slightly. "Don't worry about that either. It was supposed to be my day off." The words came out more bitterly than she intended and she visibly winced at it. Immediately, she started correcting herself. "It was my fault. I came at the sign of trouble. Can't complain about something I did to myself." Again, detached and factual. It was true and she hated when people complained about something that was their fault.

Anonymous

It was quite the awkward moment. He didn't what to say, just observing how she replied to each question was a bit strange in its self...But how was she supposed to answer something that personal, especially to a stranger! He gave a light chuckle to express his wanting to move to something more unpersonalized.

"I'm sorry, heh, look at me, trying to act like I'm sort of psychiatrist. I'm deeply sorry.."

He supposed that maybe to even it out, he could let her ask something of any category. And that was exactly was he was going to do, running with this idea, he went to it.

"Here, you can ask me anything you'd like..TO call it even, you know? And I mean anything, or at least anything within my realm of knowledge."

Though this was her question, he was eager to find out what she'd ask.

Anonymous

Callie couldn't help but to laugh - the moment had turned a little awkward. Just a bit uncomfortable, more so for him. It didn't necessarily bother her, after all, the truth was the truth. She didn't really have a problem with telling it (which seemed to also be a disadvantage). But it did seem to bother him. Suddenly, she realized they'd never been introduced. She was in a strange man's room and didn't even know his name. Hell! He'd even witnessed an embarrassing family scene, and she'd spilled a drink on him and right now, the best she could call him was 'hey you!'.

She smiled lightly. "You know what you can tell me? Your name. Considering we've been through so much already," she shook her head, brushing her curls out of her blue eyes. "I'm Callie," she told him by way of a semi-formal introduction.

Callie paused. "And since that doesn't count as a real question... where are you going? Why? Sorry, I'm taking liberties with the question." Although she didn't really sound all that apologetic as she leaned forward slightly, head tilted. She was curious -- maybe just because she found it so highly unlikely she was ever going anywhere but here, this tavern. What an unfortunate prospect. Maybe get married and live the rest of her life taking care of the family tavern, something she'd pass on to her own kids. How thrilling!

She didn't even want to get married. She didn't even want kids! Her mother didn't take her seriously, just considering it a phase. Which it wasn't, because Callie was pretty solid on the ideas that marriage was a crock and children were too much trouble (and she was afraid she'd have as many kids as her parents or grandparents). She didn't want to be a baby-making machine. She didn't want to have a large brood of children or a semi-crazy husband. It sounded like a trap.