Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Friends Are As Good As Dead (SilverShadow)

Started by Brisinger987, August 26, 2013, 01:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc smiled at the idea of Squeak.

"As cute as Squeak sounds, Aethrie. I once knew a human girl called Aethrie, she offered me sanctuary, risked her life to save mine. She was kind. I think Aethrie sounds good. It just took hearing it to jog my memory." Veraxitoc's memory wasn't budging. As true as the story was, he wouldn't think about it. He had met Loreiaka that day as well. It was painful to think of her, and he was trying to maintain composure.

SilverShadow

Tanith nodded. "I believe we may have met the same person. I, too, was thinking of a human girl with that name."

The newly named Aethrie looked up with curiosity. Despite her distraction devouring her deer (which was now mostly gone) she seemed to understand that this was her name now.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc's eyes seemed to be staring into nothing for a minute as he decided to revisit that day. He remembered his nervousness when he first met Loreiaka, and physically smiled for a moment.

The sunlight was blazing down, and nothing much had happened except for the lovely girl who had taken him in, risking her life to help a dragon. So when he crept through the cave system, and saw Loreiaka standing there, he was dumbfounded.

A crimson Nightspinner. Truly beautiful.

He had fumbled his first words to her, being unable to speak. Then he had been stupid enough to speak his mind, and get into a challenge with her. They had fought. She had won.

When she said that she admired his courage and honesty, he felt his heart drop, fearing she was trying to let him down gently. So it was all the better when she said that they would try a relationship.

They spent the evening getting to know each other. It was blissful.

The memory sent a solitary tear rolling down his cheek, and he wiped it away, before thinking of other things.

SilverShadow

Tanith, out of respect for the pride she understood so well, pretended she didn't see the tear. Of course she did, it was impossible to miss, but she knew that in his shoes, she would want to maintain her dignity.

Aethrie, on the other hand, had no concept of such things. She saw the tear, and decided she didn't like it. Not one bit. She ripped a hearty bone out of the remainder of her deer, then trotted over to Veraxitoc. She carefully placed the bone on one of his front feet. It immediately rolled off, and she huffed in frustration, a wisp of smoke puffing out of her nostrils as she glared at it like a disobedient child.

Not to be thwarted, she snatched it up again, giving a little baby growl and shaking it hard. She balanced it on his foot again, this time more carefully. Succeeding, she looked up at the giant Nightspinner, a pleased look on her face. As far as she was concerned, a fun bone for playing could fix any badthing.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc smiled, letting a few tears roll down his face. He wondered if that was what he needed.

Yes. I need that. Veraxitoc knew her jaws would be strong, so he picked the bone up in his mouth, and let it protrude, offering to play a game of tug with her.

He reached out with his rather limited psychic ability, in Tanith's direction.

"Tanith, I need a question answering. Is it wrong to regret doing the right thing? To want to have been selfish?" His psychic voice was completely different to his physical voice, the emotions underlying clearly plastered over it.

SilverShadow

Aethrie immediately squealed happily and chomped down on the other end of the bone. She gave a little baby growl and shook her head in what she believed to be a truly vicious gesture.

Tanith tensed reflexively as she felt him touch her mind. Then she forced herself to relax. He wasn't prying, just talking. She carefully reinforced the psychic walls she had spent years constructing in her mind, then reached her thoughts out to connect with his. I think there is nothing wrong with that at all, she replied in her mind, her own psychic voice expressing how firmly she believed that. He was very, very upset.

You know, you don't have to keep up the kingly dignity around me. I'm not one of your subjects, who might grow doubts as to your strength. You are free to express yourself with me, and I shall never breathe a word to another soul. I hope you know that. Her voice was gentle, reassuring, but strong.

She knew that in the dragon world, a sign of weakness from the alpha could easily lead to a coupe. A king was not supposed to hurt. A leader was never supposed to cry. Because Tanith had no place in any colony, draconic, human, or otherwise, she had a freedom from all the natural laws of hierarchy that most in this world could only dream of.

Brisinger987

I am no king, or leader. I am merely a frontman. A foreman for my people. I will not force any decisions, unless the situation truly calls for it. I am no king, and merely am too... Regretful to ever want to admit what I feel. And as much as I hate to admit it, I have put off a conversation far too long for it to matter who it is with. Veraxitoc, sighed mentally, preparing himself for the memories. Hopefully he could make it through. Hopefully.

Before my sleep, I was in love. She was perfect to me, we never argued, we were perfect. Nothing ever went without a laugh with us. He transmitted snapshots of his happiest memories. Their snowball fights, their races, their high altitude kisses. Just small things that showed they really were perfect.

Then, one day, after I went out to ensure the arrangements for the Crystal-backs to take over the job of my species, as guardians, as my species was dead from the century long Dragon Rider war, I came home, to find Loreiaka had killed all the others. And then she begged me to kill her. She told me it was a demon, and that it was her fault. That she deserved to be punished for her mistake. After half an hour of debate, I did it. I killed her as painlessly as possible. Then for two whole weeks, I sat by the ashes, in that cave, and wept. Two weeks I mourned for her. Then I left, deciding that two weeks was adequate, and went back to my duties. But nothing was the same. They nights were cold and quiet, the patrols boring and bland, the life I once had destroyed. So, once I believed the Crystal-backs would continue our work, I decided to sleep. To sleep for nearly 2000 years. And I woke up regretting it. Regretting my selflessness. My loyalty to my job. Veraxitoc gave a playful tug of the bone, letting out a sound akin to a puppy growl.

SilverShadow

Aethrie narrowed her eyes and grinned around the bone at him. Her feet came off the ground as he tugged the bone, but she never let go for a second.

Tanith quieted her mind, listening carefully to his mental words, steeling herself against the emotions that saturated them. Veraxitoc had had a mate?! I would have wanted to be selfish too, in that case, she replied softly. Her deep eyes met his, communicating the sympathy she could not put to words. She had never had a mate, never had someone love her, but that lack alone helped her to understand the emptiness he felt. If there was one thing she understood to the depth of her being, it was being alone.

I bet she was beautiful.

Brisinger987

Her scales were blood red, with black tips. Rare, especially among Nightspinners. She was truly beautiful. And now I have trouble looking at any crimson colours. They simply remind me of her. I wish I hadn't done it, I wish I could reconcile, but no matter how much I pray or beg or plead, nothing will make me feel like I'm apologising, or trying. Veraxitoc put Aethrie down.

"You're persistent, aren't you?" He smiled at her. She was cute, and probably the only thing stopping him crying right now. The only thing.

SilverShadow

Aethrie growled playfully at him, waggling her tail, then charged and headbutted his leg.

Blood red with black tips...an albino Nightspinner... Something shifted in Tanith's memory, a faint glimmer she couldn't catch. She closed her eyes, and lightly pushed him out of her head so she could think straight. Nightspinner...albino...crimson...crimson and black... Why was that ringing a bell? Her eyes flew open. The ruby dragon! She remembered now!

Opening her mind again she mentally exclaimed Veraxitoc! It came out a little louder than she intended, and she quickly lowered her mental voice. Veraxitoc what if she's alive?! She quickly shot memories at him, images gathered over years of travel. A frost dragon colony up north...a young dragon she had believed to be a Crystal-back, whose scales were ruby with black tips, bearing no resemblance to any living Crystal-back...years later the glimpse of a red and black dragon flying high overhead...the rumors of a female Nightspinner that had been cropping up all over the world, more and more recently...

Anticipating his first argument, she added, Albinos are rare. You said so yourself. They are like, what, 0.5% of all Nightspinners ever born? What are the chances that a new Nightspinner, one of only 3 in existence, just happens to be female AND just happens to be albino?! If my calculations are correct, those odds are about one in, like, twenty-gazillion! Okay, so math had never been her strong suit. But her point was valid. Excited, she said, I don't want to get your hopes up, Black, but you said her crimes were the work of a demon. You know there are old stories of the draconic gods reincarnating dragons who had been killed before their time, or who were not responsible for their crimes. What if...?

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc shot what seemed like an angry glare, and those were the emotions his mental voice portrayed.

No dragon has been reincarnated in years. She would not be the first to die for crimes not hers. And I watched her die... She would not survive what I had to do. She was tough, but I make sure that if I kill something, it is dead, understood? His mind retracted from hers, essentially ending the conversation, and apparently being his way of not barraging her psychically.

In all truth he just couldn't bear the thought that the dragoness he loved, and had killed, was wandering around out there. He couldn't bear it, and it hurt. He would never be able to face her.

He killed her.

SilverShadow

Tanith, who had never been one of great tact, reached out and grabbed the mental connection before he'd finished withdrawing it. The definition of "reincarnation" is that the dragon IS dead! That's the whole point! Just think about it. Having said that, she withdrew and dropped the connection. That was all there was to be said on the matter. If he didn't want to investigate the coincidence of the millennium, that was his call.

Aethrie, sensing the shift between the two of them, took a step back and stared from one adult to the other in bewilderment. She tilted her little black head to one side and gave an inquisitive chirp, her gold eyes holding a look of confusion.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc refused to start up a new conversation, and instead just remained silent. He looked at Aethrie, and slowly lowered his head, showing gentleness. He wasn't going to get too frustrated right now. Something big would get broken later though.

"You Aethrie... Aethrie..."

SilverShadow

Hearing what she now knew to be her name, Aethrie perked up. "Cheep?" she responded promptly, waggling her tail at him.

Tanith watched the two of them, a tiny bit jealous of their bond, in spite of herself. But no, the loner's road was her's. It was the one she had chosen. She turned to gaze out at the lake, wondering where she should head next.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc felt something click inside him, and he felt angry. He didn't feel right all of a sudden. He shouldn't be raising a child. He didn't need one. He didn't want one. He didn't deserve one. He wasn't a good rolemodel. He wasn't a good mate. How could he be a good father?

He laid down, sighing, knowing that she would grow up fast thankfully. He could survive until then. Surely.

"I think we'll get by, won't we. If this Nightspinner comes round, we'll ask just who she is. Maybe it's a relative. Maybe you don't recognise Methusela because you can't smell his real mother."