Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This thread is open, however, please PM me with permission if interested in joining and I'll let you know if your idea works with what I've been plotting~ This thread is a very important thread, laced into the mage wars in Connlaoth (read more about this via in the link in my signature)... (It's sort of a time jump) from what has been beginning to happen, and something rising out of the mess of it. (So this takes place well after things have been getting messy. ANd please note, no other threads are even this far along in the war~). Please also read the character Katahnia's profile, too, before inquiring to join :3 thanks.

And without any further ramblings.. XD, I present a thread where a hero is needed to help save the 'wanna be' savior of the mages as she dangles, soaked in blood, from an ice, cold, chandelier.

Looks like I've already got a bite XD

-----------

It had been a long, cruel road, and time had hardly been kind to her. So much had transpired, so much working against her, seeming to want to crush the spirit of the woman rising against the world. It was a time when Connlaoth was in despair, fear plaguing the people and tricking them into believing everything their new Grand Duke had fed them. And they believed it, all of them, or so it seemed. So it was that in which made the journey even more perilous than before.

She had to work against the men that didn't know better, where she had preached the words on the street, the innocence of her people, and how repressing them, sending them North to the cruel mage camps, was damning their souls.

Equality.. Peace.. These words Katahnia had once preached seemed like something to laugh about as she remained hanging in her cold tomb, blood staining her cracked lips, and the rest of the blood finally beginning to dry and clot over the wounds of her body. But she had been soaked in it, whip lashes leaving risen welts across her back, opening bubbling wounds which stained her clothing and flesh red with her own blood, which had since collected upon the floor, staining the chilled stone flooring beneath her in the abandoned castle in which she now remained. But they wanted her alive, to suffer as cruelly as possible for all that she stood for before the loss of blood and cold would take her. So they left her for dead, hanging upside down, her wrists and body bound in ropes, well within the bowels of an ancient and forgotten castle, laying within the forests of the tall mountain peeks of the Kilanthros. And they left her hanging from the frozen diamonds of an unlit and spider web-frosted chandelier.

It was a cruel fate to remain there, and as she hung, tears burned within her eyes at the memories this presented to her- of that time so long ago when her family had been attacked, and what all of this suffering had meant to her, and at that time in the long forgotten past, she had taken homage within a casing of crystal. She even recalled when she had been free, awakening to love and new hope. She had even ridden as far north to her family's duchy, only to find a cruel twist of fate tearing everything she held dear apart. Now she had a child to fight for, one she had to give away to be cared for, in fear her daughter might be killed as she fought the mage wars.

But now as she hung upside down, bleeding and possibly dying, she regretted nothing, except failing to be there for her daughter when she would be grown, as a single, slow rolling tear froze against her cheek. SHe was too weak to seal herself now, and was already feeling the biting cold of the arctic cast a layer of frost in her blood stained, blonde hair and clothing, and her lips and fingers bluing, skin turning white as snow as her breath came out in white wisps as she stared out into the vast emptiness of the forgotten castle. Her would be tomb.

Little did she know this was just the start of something more, just another step in the long journey towards a fight where she would strive towards the freedom of the mages, the halting of the iron fist within the laws, and at least bring the people of Connlaoth back to a sense of humanity. Mages and magic users were but people... how could they not see? All they saw was an enemy, and the fear that had drove them all mad. Now, with the mages symbol of hope, a woman who had been rallying them and spitting out words of peace... now that she was subdued, the Grand Duke could continue on with his repressive laws without incident, and the world might continue on without her- leaving her as a forgotten ghost within it's history... a history that had only just begun.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

With his crudely made bow, Conall waited though his arms quivered in anticipation of a meal that was long past due. The young man was very thin, almost starving but he had just enough on him to keep himself sustained. But the hunger was maddening and his patience was on thin ice. He needed to eat and already his patience had snapped multiple times and the snow hares he'd encountered had easily evaded his arrows.

Conall put another arrow to the bow string and drew it taut, eyeing the hare that was several feet away from where he stood. The hare rose up, looking around and wiggling its little nose, perhaps sniffing the air. Conall had little understanding of wild animals so he could only guess. "Got you this time, you little bastard." He growled and closed one eye, lining up his arrow with the target. He took a deep breath then released the bowstring. He held his breath and...

It hit a snow bank. The hare was now bounding across the snow, fleeing from its clumsy hunter.

"Damn it!"

How long had he been at this? Hours and his marksmanship had gone straight to the abyss.

He was so angry that he felt the urge to throw his bow. He almost did , but then thought better of it and kicked up snow fitfully with his boot. "You imbecile," he chastised himself quite loudly, " ,at this rate I may as well dig my own grave right here in the snow and be done with it!"

He sighed and shook his head, "I'm tired and moody," he explained to no one in particular, quite in the habit of talking to himself to ward away the loneliness that months or perhaps even a year of isolation had forced him to become intimate with.

"I just need to calm down and try again," he told himself, taking another deep breath and trudging forward to retrieve his arrow. He eyed the tracks, thankful that they were clear and followed them, determined to have a hare stew by sunset.

The tracks led his steps up the mountain and to a place , an elevation that he never dared to venture before because the higher one climbed, the more cold and unforgiving the winds would be.

Conall was not among the sturdiest of men, but arguably stronger than he had been once. This world had forced him to change because it had been the only way to endure...and it made him just strong enough to brace the winds and climb though he pondered how effective his bow would be in a climate like this and it didn't escape his mind that there may have been far more dangerous predators than himself up in crown of the world.

The winds were blowing so fiercly now that they lifted the snow from the earth , blowing it in his face and shrouding the air making visibility almost zero. Conall halted in his steps. He could no longer see the rabbit tracks. He could hardly see his boots. He sighed, knowing full well how stupid he'd been for endeavoring to climb so high.

He was ready to turn around and trudge back down the mountain when something caught his eye. Faintly through the icy mists he thought he saw a formation – no, it was too perfectly shaped to be part of the mountain. A building perhaps? Up here?

"Interesting, " , he said aloud though he couldn't even hear himself above the howling winds, " I wonder if someone lives there." It didn't seem likely and for all he knew he was hallucinating. Again. "I really should go home..." He half-turned to look back down the mountain but then turned back and proceeded towards the unknown.

The closer he drew , the more solid the formation became and now it loomed over him , casting an enormous shadow over him as he stood under it and looked up in awe.

"A castle? " Conall was bewildered. That was the last thing he'd expect to find in a land of barbarians. He shook his head and noted the state it was in. It was collapsed in some places , stone crumbled to the earth and buried in snow, holes in the walls and a no light in the windows. More unnerving was the doors themselves were ajar, but held only slightly open and stopped by a mound of snow that had built up around it.

Conall considered his options, "There might be food in there, shelter, perhaps some supplies I could use. Worst case scenario, there's something living in there that will try to kill me. " He'd already made up his mind before he'd said this , however. " I'll take my chances, " he muttered and moved closer to the doors.

The opening looked narrow . Had he been healthier, he probably wouldn't have fit at all but being as thin as he was, he was able to squeeze in.

It was nearly as cold inside as it was outside , but the walls were mostly intact and did a fair job of keeping the wind and its chill out save for through the entrance. Conall stood in the doorway, looking around with bow in hand and an arrow drawn to the string. He trembled a bit, nervous and uncertain of what he'd find in here.

There were signs that there had been life here once but the tables and chairs were overturned , furniture knocked over and scattered hapazardly about the icy stone floor. Icy cobwebs and dust clung to almost everything. The place seemed wholly abandoned.

What had happened here?

Conall took a cautious step forward, looking around him nervously in every direction as though he expected a wild animal to leap out at him at any moment.

A small part of him hoped there was someone here as terrible as that wish may have been . At least then he could stop talking to himself. For he feared he may have already been slightly mad...

"H-hello?" He called out into the gloom, his voice sounding much louder than he anticipated. It rang off the stone and echoed a few times back at him, "Is anyone here?"

He passed through the main hall , ascending a set of broken stairs and crossing a hall, coming into what may have been a throne room or a ballroom...it was a large room though as poor and dark as the conditions were...he wasn't even sure what to make of it all. 

As he moved, his eyes were on the lookout for something he could take home with him. Something he could use. Ansgar's beard, he hoped there was food somewhere in here!

He crossed into the middle of the large room , passing directly beneath the chandelier though not once looking up. "I come in pea-"

A pale stream of daylight filtered through the duty window, dimly illuminating the floor under him and yet he didn't notice the icy floor slicked with crimson until ...

"W-woah!"

He slipped and fell, landing on his back and only fortunate enough to have his head well-padded by a warm hood made of furs and animal hides. Though he lay there for a while, staring upward in a daze. "Should have been more careful." He mumbled.

Laying there, staring up and looking at nothing in particular, he noticed something. An odd silhouette that he assumed to be a chandelier and something else that appeared awfully humanoid hanging from it.

"Oh Ansgar...suicide? " He swallowed hard, not anticipating that whoever was dangling from that chandelier was actually alive. "Poor bastard."

ooc: lol, he slipped in blood. What a nubcakes.

Profile will be up soon. Don't get yer panties in a twist.

visualspice

She was coming in and out of consciousness now, and would have lulled back away to a white-washed world had she not heard the commotion below. Slowly, her green eyes opened, which was painful as they had nearly frozen shut. Ice clung to her blood caked lashes as she peered out into the world, but saw nothing. Though more sounds below her drew her eyes to peer down. And she saw a figure, a man. Her lips opened to move, but again, it was painful, her skin so frigid, so cold. ANd as her lips move, but it was as if her breath had been choked out of her, and even her vocal cords had become frozen. But then as she continued to awaken, she felt blood seep out from her nose, warm and wet, before it dripped down her face, slipping off from her lips and splattering onto the man's face down below.

And then at that motion, her lips froze open, and she found herself barely able to breath out the words, "Help." And again.. "Help me... please." Though even she wasn't sure if she could be saved at this point. She couldn't even feel the rest of her body and her mind ached with use.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Hearing a voice calling out for help, Conall sat up and looked in the direction of the distressed plea. Directly above him he saw the silhouette move slightly. "Alive! " He gasped and staggered to his feet, slipping a little on the ice and blood , nearly losing his balance again. He felt something warm on his face and touched a hand there, drawing it back slowly and holding it up before his eyes to see , "Blood...? Oh maker..." He breathed , horrified. Something was very wrong here, but he'd save his pondering for later. The stranger above him needed help!

"Hold on, I'll help you down!" He called up into the gloom and then looked around the room, desperately searching for some method to reach the stranger. But he saw nothing he could use , nothing he could climb to get to them. Somehow, he'd have to probably knock her from her place. "I –I cannot see you. Are you bound? "

He went over to one of the large windows and pulled back the long, dusty silk curtains, allowing more light to penetrate the room oppressed by shadow . He moved as quickly as he could, stepping carefully round upturned furniture and statues, fallen paintings and long dead and withered plants and their smashed pots to reach the other six large windows and open their curtains as well.

The darkness took flight, leaving Conall nearly blinded by the light. It took him a few moments to adjust before he looked up again to have a better look at the stranger. He'd figured it was a lady...the voice gave that away though...one could never be sure as a young lad could sound equally fair. This wasn't the case however.

She was dangling from a chandelier and she didn't look to be in healthy shape. He couldn't catch every detail but he'd noted the blood he'd cleaned from his face and could put two and two together. Someone must have left her for dead. He shuddered. Even his own fate hadn't been quite so cruel.

"Just hang on a little longer, Miss!" He called up to her, "I need to figure out how to get you down from there! I'll be right back!" He left the throne room running, stumbling through the dark and yanking curtains apart, lighting up the castle as he went. He searched every room he came across and formulated a plan as he moved. One could only pray that it would actually work.

He returned multiple times, carrying blankets , sheets, linens, pillows and all manner of soft material that he could find. It felt as though it may have taken an eternity as he threw them in the room then would go running back out once more.

On his final few trips, he came through the door, grunting and dragging mattresses from queen and king sized beds into the room. The effort, he thought , nearly killed him but at long last he lined up the mattresses , pulling them up , one on top of the other. He took a moment to catch his breath before continuing his work, padding the stacked mattresses with the pillows and blankets. When he was done, he stood back and picked up his bow,  placing an arrow to the string and pulling it back. "I'm going to shoot you down! Try not to panic!"

He took aim, closing one eye and sighting the rope that held her dangling from the chandelier like a fly caught in a spider's web and held his breath.

The arrow missed , narrowly missing the rope , the arrow's head only slightly severing the rope. He cursed and removed another bow from his quiver, took aim, took a deeper breath to calm his nerves and fired again. This time , it was a direct hit. The rope gave way and the woman fell.
He watched her fall and prayed. 

ooc: I hope that made sense because there were a lot of distractions in the background while writing this. xD

visualspice

Katahnia landed onto the pile of blankets, a mattress, and sheets. Though she made no noise on contact, her body did, and for the longest time she simply lay there, her eyes staring up dizzily at the chandelier above. Everything seemed to dance, coming in and out of focus all the while her body was trembling from the pain.. and from the cold.

Paradox

"Thank the maker," Conall breathed when he saw the woman had landed as he'd hoped, seeming –well, not dead or harmed any worse than she already was. He hurried over to her and pulled himself up onto the mattresses. Kneeling beside her, he looked down at her to survey what manner of trauma she'd been through, "God..." it was awful. The woman- perhaps even a girl , for she seemed a bit younger than himself, had all the signs of torture about her. Bruises, cuts, blood, scars. Some fresh, some not so.

And her attire was not appropriate for this weather...he was amazed she hadn't frozen to death.

"Do not fear, miss," He told her as gently and reached over her, pulling some blankets and sheets out from underneath her and carefully wrapping her up snugly in them, "this should take off a bit of the chill. "

He removed his glove and felt her forehead. She might have been too numb to feel how hot it was against her skin, but he certainly felt her deathly chill as he drew his hand away and hastily put his glove back on. "I need to make a fire, " he told her, "or we're both going to freeze to death here. Do you know where I might find some flint? "

visualspice

His words barely registered to her. She kept hearing it, almost as if it was faded.. distant..
Though it was only at his last set of words did his face start coming into focus, haggard and weary from the weather. This land was harsh, and unkind. Though a worried, caring face was welcome.
She smiled, feelign the cuts all over her lips and the strained muscle there. But she said nothing, feeling the world fall away to dark.

OOC: SHe's so helpful XD

Paradox

Ooc: I wouldn't call this mature, but it's R rated material. This post is kinda violent and contains quite a bit of heavy swearing that may offend some readers except the two people posting in this thread because, clearly, we're amoral androids from Sector L and we're going to android.

Warning! This is kind of unnecessarily long but Spice's fault. xD
Ic:
She fainted and for a moment he was horrified. Had Ansgar made his claim on her poor damned soul? He shook his head and promptly removed his glove to pass his hand over her face and nose. He needed to ascertain for certain that she had passed into the mists or if she was breathing.

Ah. Good. She has simply passed out, likely from unconsciousness. Drawing his hand back, he hastily replaced his glove then released a relieved sigh.

He bent over her, pulling a dagger from his belt. He pulled the blankets back and cut the ropes binding her, something he mentally scolded himself for not having the brains to do before he'd wrapped her up in warmth. He replaced the blankets, tucking her in snugly and then he sat back and sheathed his dagger, casting her a fleeting and sympathetic glance.

"Rest well, miss. Ansgar knows that you probably deserve it." He muttered softly to himself as he slipped off the mattresses and exited what he now assumed to be a throne room.

As he stood in the doorway , he heard something. He readied his bow, instincts warning him that trouble had shown up.

"What the hell was that noise? You don't think there's someone living here, do you?"

"Don't be stupid! This place has been abandoned for decades. There ain't no one here. Might be a wild animal or somethin' though or more likely , that bitch makin' a fuss."

"Maybe it's a ghos-"

Two men came walking down one of the halls to the right towards him. Conall cursed his own stupidity and readied his bow as one of the men pointed at him, " See! I TOLD ya I heard someone!"

"YOU! " The other man pointed at him, "Drop your weapon! "

Conall eyed both men critically, but said nothing and certainly wasn't about to lower his bow. He kept it trained on the bossy man. The pair of them were clad in dark leathers and armed to the teeth. They bore a vicious and untrained composure to them that told him these men were not honorable. They weren't in uniform either which hinted to the possibility of them being mercenaries and most definitely assassins. How charming.

Now it was clear to him what he had to do. The girl was a stranger , but these people were downright shady. Mercenaries or no this whole situation reeked of something sinister.

"Hey, barbarian! What's the matter? Don't speak common or are you deaf? I said droooraugh-"

The man gargled incoherently, blood spilling from his lips as he clutched for the arrow piercing his throat and fell face first to the stone.
"Bastard! You're a dead man!" The other mercenary howled and charged at him. Conall hastily drew another bow from his quiver and put another arrow to the bowstring , but it wasn't fast enough. His opponent crashed into him, tackling him into the wall.

Conall grunted as the back of his skull struck the wall. The impact left him in a daze while his opponent proceeded to beat him black and blue to the point of collapsing on hands and knees.

The mercenary grabbed him by the collar and lifted him slightly up off the ground and leaning forward, down so that their faces were close enough that Conall could smell the man's breath. God! It smelled like something had crawled in the bastard's mouth and DIED. The man drew a knife , " I'll give you a nice hole in your throat just like you did to my brother over there. Heh."

Conall's hand found something on the ground. Cold , light, sharp. He gripped it , feeling its edge cut slice through his glove and flesh. He nearly dropped it from shock of pain , but he held on. He needed to or he'd be dead otherwise. Then, brought it up fast against the left side of his foe's head.

The man screeched and stumbled back , grabbing at the large shard of broken glass protruding from just below his earlobe. "FUCK YOU! DIE ,YOU MOTHERFUCKER!" He spat in his rage and threw the his knife at the man. Conall ungracefully rolled out of the way, narrowly evading death but not escaping injury. 

"Fuck...!" The man's movements slowed as he was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wound under his ear. He stumbled around a bit and took two steps towards Conall , but stopped quite suddenly and fell over. "...hope...you...f-freeze with that...whore..." He managed to spit out before he died.
Conall sat still for a moment, heart racing and mind asking incessantly if there were more than just these two men to be concerned about. He trembled, weak from hunger and exhaustion , but fear pushed his body into overdrive and supplied him with the adrenaline he needed to keep going. He scrambled up to his feet, grabbing his bow . He approached the man he'd just killed and searched his body, stripping him of anything he could use and needed. He did the same to the other man as well. He left their bodies where they were and continued on his way.

Ooc: Speeding things up here because I took too long with this stupid fight.

Ic:

He continued his search without much incident, gathering the materials he immediately needed. It was nearly an hour and a half later when he returned where he'd left the lady unconscious.

He set his newly acquired pack down (courtesy of one of the dead mercenaries ) and dumped the contents on the floor, grabbing the flint rock and a dagger. He hurried off to find something to burn.

He returned multiple times with armloads of dusty old books he'd found in what he presumed to be a library or study and piled them up in one of the corners of the rooms. He found a couple of wooden chairs and smashed them against the walls, breaking them into more easily burnable pieces and tossed them into the ever growing pile.

He had a nice , sizable fire going soon enough but he couldn't rest there. He trudged tiredly back over to where the woman was resting and pulled her down, off the mattress and into his arms. He carried her over to set her down near the fire and then went back to gather some pillows and blankets, making her a bed which he set her upon and tucked her in. He left her there to walk across the room and gather up his belongings, stuffing them into the pack and then trudging back over to the fire to sit down across from the stranger whose life he'd possibly saved.

Conall sat there for a moment, staring at her. Not thinking, not really seeing her. He considered waking her. He had no idea how long she had been here. If she had eaten and how badly she needed medical treatment. Or if she was parched or...or...

But he was tired. And hungry. Sore too. He hadn't come out of the fight entirely unscathed, but at the worst he was just banged up and bruised a tad. He set his pack down in his lap and started rummaging through it, pulling out strip of dried and salted meat wrapped in paper. Also courtesy of the now two dead mercenaries.

He munched on the jerky quietly. He'd find something for the nameless woman later. If she ever wore up.

visualspice

She awoke to the crackling sounds of a fire. Her eyes felt heavy, even stiff, but the fire and blankets had drawn warmth back to her flesh. Though she ached all over, she was still alive, and in the moment, she had no idea where she was or what had happened. Her visions was foggy, fading in and out of focus before she let out a soft noise and tried to move a hand. Though it didn't come without a price. It hurt, as did every part of her as she let out another noise, one of pain as she flinched and lowered her hand down again. And as she spoke, her throat, parched and sore, cut raggedly into her breath, forcing her to cough several times against her will. It hurt so much, sent a jolt through her body that awoken sharp tears into her eyes.

It was only then she noticed another person. Were they trying to help her? Either way she had no real choice but to ask in a meek, cracking voice, "W..water."
Because that's what she so desperately needed.

Paradox

A voice woke him from his light slumber. He stirred, sat up abruptly and stared over at the woman for a few moments as though he weren't certain what to make of her . He hadn't quite caught what she'd said, but her voice sounded cracked, similar to what one might expect from someone whom was dehydrated.

Speaking not a word he tugged the water skin free from belt loop and stood up, walking over to where she lay. He knelt down before her and, not once looking at her looked down at the canteen as he unscrewed the lid. He looked at her now.

His face was shadowed as his back was to the fire and his expression, under the full and somewhat wild red beard he was sporting didn't help much either. He said nothing to her , hardly meeting her eye as he slipped his hand gently under his hand and popped her head up slowly , slowly and holding it just elevated so that he could offer the bottle to her lips and help her drink so the water would go down with little effort on her part.

He was careful not to give her too much, removing it after she'd had a couple swallows. "Let me know when you've had enough." He told her quietly, his youthful voice belying a face that looked like it might have belonged to a thirty-year-old man.  "There's plenty."

visualspice

Katahnia drank as much as she could, having her fill only after she began to cough and sputter out some that dribbled down from her cracked lips. Though it felt soothing as she pressed her lips together, staring at him, her eyes still watery as she managed to crack a smile.
"Thank you," she managed to speak, and tiredly closed her eyes again.

For a brief moment she recalled the fight.
Steel drawn and kissing to steel. The sword Cauwyn had gotten her had been light, and the heavy steel of the men's blades eventually cracked it in half. She had to run, magic only aiding her so far before she had been trapped...

Her eyes returned to the present as she opened them, peering up curiously at the bearded man above her. He looked like no killer. He must have found her here on his own.. wherever here was. She glacned around, taking in the ice, the cold, and the frozen cobwebs adoring the abandonned place. It was only when she lifted a hand and noticed the blood that had soaked her skin that she recalled the torture-

Barbed whips and punches, knives and swords..
they seemed to relish in the fact she was bleeding well to death. And they had done more, so much more worse, cruel and vile things to her. Hot tears bubbled within her eyes. Blinking, they rolled down her cheeks.
Then she recalled being left for dead, hanging upside down by the chandelier she now peered up at that hung in haunting beauty against the ceiling above.

Paradox

He stared at her when she thanked him as if he found her manners unexpected. He shook his head, "Y-you're welcome." He wouldn't say it wasn't any trouble, because it was. A LOT of trouble that he could have evaded if he'd left her to die. Unfortunately, he hadn't forgotten his sense of morality out here. Yet.
"I am Conall, "  he introduced himself. A first name was enough. He doubted that anyone out here would know who he was even if he told them, but one could never be too careful, " and you've been hurt rather badly. I have some medical knowledge . If I have your consent, I could help to some extent. " He spoke in a very cultured tone. Polite , far too-well educated to be mistaken for a barbarian. His accent was...very Connlaothian, but thicker than what was common in the North or the central region of the continent. In fact, the accent may have been exclusive to one particular region, but only a native of the country itself would have picked up on that.

"I have some questions, but they can wait for now. However, I should inform you that I encountered two men while I was exploring this castle. They gave me no choice. I killed them. " His manner was so frank, so factual. There was no remorse in his tone nor in his heart. He paused for a moment and reached into his coat pocket. He pulled out an old, dirty kerchief that had certainly seen better days and poured a little water on it. He then used that to clean her face with it, lightly.

"I know not how many there are. I'm hoping there was only the two, but I've a feeling there may be more. With any good fortune, I may be able to handle them myself." He stopped himself, clearing some dirt from her nose. " Forgive me, I'm not normally this garrulous. It's just been ...some time since I've talked to someone other than myself."

Part of him wished he'd kept that last statement to himself. It made him sound like a creepy hermit or a madman. "I didn't catch your name, miss?"

visualspice

At his name, she peered up into his eyes, studying his face. Then listened to his words, studying those too. And at his last statement, she smiled. She was thankful for all he had done. No doubt the men had been there for her, probably part of the band of men who had left her for dead. There was a lot of frankness in his voice, and a lot of rattling, but she didn't mind. Her eyes softened though, closing as he worked at cleaning her face and she simply informed him her name, since his was so generously given.
"Katahnia."

Then after a moment, she opened her eyes again.
"Might I have more water to drink?" And even in so few a words, one might note the hint of aristocracy in their tone.

Paradox

They were sharp, intelligent green eyes. Much like a predatory bird's , a hawk's or a falcon's, they scrutinized everything he looked at including her. Were his facial hair not so thick, she might have seen that he wore a rather cold , indifferent expression- something that his parents, particularly his father had taught him to wear at court. Hide one's emotions, guard one's intentions. Never let one's guard down around anyone. Connlaothian court was dangerous, cutthroat , unforgiving. And he hadn't entirely heeded his father's advice. He made a slip , took a chance at playing honorably...

and he lost the game. His opponents tore him apart, but they made the mistake of leaving it there.

He snapped out of his thoughts , hearing the lady speak her name. "Katahnia?" Was that name familiar to him? He couldn't place it so probably not, "Indeed. 'Tis a pleasure to meet your acquaintance though I regret the unfortunate circumstances in which you find yourself." The ice in his tone broke for but a moment, softening just enough to express what may have been genuine concern. From him , it certainly was, but those that knew so little of him might not have been so sure.

When she requested water he nodded. She needed it more than he did and, well, there was plenty of snow to melt and make water from. Food would be the issue, but he wouldn't worry until she asked. For now, he helped her drink again , but frowned at her eagerness. "Not so fast. You'll make yourself ill."

visualspice

She had backed off from the water, swallowing down what was still left in her throat and looked back up at him, staring for a time before saying softly again, "Thank you." Then glancing around, she tried to move, but felt dizzy and sunk back into the bed of blankets and clothe. In doing so, she felt a few clotting wound tear open on her back and forced tears to prickle in her eyes. She blinked them away, and tried to calm herself, to make sense of what had happened. Then she recalled what he said.. about killing two men.

"I'm sorry.." she said after a time. She peered up at him. "Those men you killed. They were probably coming back to finish me."
Or to watch her suffer until she died.

Paradox

Conall shrugged and waved a dismissive hand. She might have seen the deep , bleeding gash in his hand that he didn't seem as concerned about as he probably should have been, "I overheard some of their conversation. They were certainly here to see you dead. There's nothing to be sorry for. They were rabid dogs and I put them down. They will visit no more of their depravities on any soul." 

He had not missed the fact that she was trying to move , "I would see you off to a healer were it possible, but there's no one near here for miles that I'm aware of. If you would permit me to examine your wounds..." He was thankful for his beard because it hid most of the flush on his face. It was awkward for him because there was still apart of him that was very much a gentleman. Such a thing was highly inappropriate and that coupled with the fact that he had little medical experience or knowledge of a female body....

Well, what if he did something wrong? But a woman couldn't be TOO different than a man, right? They were both humans and had the same basic shape. And shared mostly the same parts. How hard could it possibly be? He'd treated some soldiers before...nothing too serious though.

Oh Ansgar...

He wasn't going to show how nervous he felt though. He didn't wish to cause her alarm. That's all he needed. A panicking woman.
"Or perhaps I presume too much. It just seems- well, there's so much...blood. It looks bad , but it's difficult to say. " He explained, feeling awkward and all too very uncomfortable. He WISHED there was a doctor or someone else here better suited to do THIS. But there wasn't. He'd treated his own wounds before , but he didn't think his had been this bad.

He moved away from her and started fumbling through his pack, searching for his recently procured med kit. At least those dead goons had been good for something!

visualspice

Katahnia groaned. Her entire body ached. Though she smiled despite it.
"Don't.. don't worry.  I just need to rest..." and she closed her eyes and drew in a careful breath.  "Out here.. in... in Hyoite?" her voice rose at the question. "There can't be many civilizations.. towns.." she forced herself to smile a little more, despite their predicament. "It's one of the few things I heard them say as they dragged me off there." Then she closed her eyes again tiredly. "I.. I can heal myself.. if.. if I have enough strength. I just.... rest..." and her voice faded away.

Paradox

Though she assured him that she could heal herself, he didn't feel so sure. She was well enough to communicate , but she could hardly move and he didn't know the extent of her injuries. Did she understand the extent of her injuries? She knew her own body and its limits, surely. She wouldn't deny some form of medical attention if she truly needed it. Unless she wasn't in the right state of mind.

She hadn't told him to help her, but she hadn't told him not to either. It frustrated him that he had no definite answer from her. If he did nothing and her condition worsened, he wasn't sure that he could live with himself. But if he took matters into his own hands and it turned out that he was panicking more than necessary, how silly would that look?

To hell with it! Better to look the fool and be paranoid than to ignore a potentially serious problem.

"Heal yourself? How? " His words were so doubtful. He didn't even consider that she may have been with magical ability. "Don't be ...a fool. You can't even move." He rummaged through his pack some more and returned with some bandages and a healing salve.  "I'll clean the wounds and..."

She had passed out, it seemed.

He tried not to panic. She'd be fine. He could do this.

He could do this.

Where to begin?

He hesitated, unsure.

Undressing her was a start. The way he struggled with that endeavor made it apparent that he was a novice. Whatever embarrassment and discomfort he felt however vanished when his eyes examined her body.

"Ansgar..." He could hardly breathe, his eyes widening with utter horror. He shook his head and immediately went to work with cleaning her wounds. And there were so many. On her back, on her arms and legs...

Now it truly sunk in. This woman would have been dead if he hadn't shown up.

Once the wounds were cleaned as best he could manage, he applied healing salve and stitched close wounds where it was needed. Hard part done, he bandaged her up and covered her in blankets again.

Her bloody clothing he cast aside. He'd need to find her something clean to wear. There might have been something around the castle, but he'd check later. He needed to sit for a moment and...

Minutes later, he was snoring.

visualspice

She awoke hours later, still feeling groggy, and in pain, but she could move just a little, albeit stiffly. She had enough energy now to turn her head, the fire's going low and making her shiver. IT was then she noted the snoring and turned to Conall as she sat up, the blankets slipping off her form, exposing her naked body and it was only then she noticed the bandages.

She stared down at her skin for a time in disbelief; not because this man had aided her, but because of how many wounds she had sustained. MOving forward, she lifted the blanket back up and wrapped it around her body, then turned to a pile of make shift kindling Conall must've procured while she had been sleeping. She used this moment and a bit of her strength to put some more in the fire, before laying down beside it and enjoying it's growing warmth.

Paradox

The snoring stopped abruptly and Conall woke with a start, grabbing for his newly acquired dagger at his belt and brandishing it at....

Katahnia?

His arm trembled and he lowered the weapon, his momentarily wild and fearful expression quickly shifting to one of embarrassment. "Apologies. Old habits... "
He put the dagger away and sat up stiffly. He felt heavy with ache.   He studied the woman now and realized that she had moved to be closer to the fire. Part of him was happy for her because it must have meant that she was feeling a little stronger , but the other part of him was concerned, "How are you...feeling? Apologies I- your wounds were quite serious and I- it goes against my nature not to lend aid where I am able to. "

He was quiet for a moment, but then he added,"I've cleaned and stitched as much as I can, but I am no doctor. I advise you not strain yourself overmuch. It could tear something open. My stitch-work leaves something to be desired."

Tags: