Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire and Chaos in the City of Thaedes

Started by visualspice, December 31, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

East Coast; Hivan Ocean.

Word had gotten around that the God of War would be in town, and the city of Thaedes had become restless. A lot of people were hustling to move in... and out of the city. With a reputation following him after the slaughter of Havanlaar, anyone that even smelled like a mage was ready to wet their pants. Others wanted a piece of him, so it was no surprise that anger was already rising in the streets as they were alerted that the man and his men were about to enter town. Within the hour the streets were swarming with men, others bolting their door, while children were heard crying, even through the buildings.

It was ten to midnight by the time Krah and his men arrived, a full army of men, weapons and black powder at their disposal. Some of them were even flashing around fancy new pistols at their sides, no thanks to their fearless leading demanding only the best for his men. And considering Krah was taking care of business more so than some of the other general's as far as the fighting was concerned, it seemed the Grand Duke was just too eager to give it away.

With the backing of the Grand Duke and an ego a mile long, it seemed nothing could stand in the God of War's way. But something did, and it was difficult to discern just where it had begun, but that night was a night no one in Thaedes would ever forget.

Sometime in the night, the crickets had stopped their chirping, the frogs, their croaking and the sea- though it was still a few miles from Thaedes, could be heard as it's waves crashed along the shore and the sea winds fluttered wind chimes and lanterns about. It was also dreadfully cold, and with the clouds rolling in, it was a lot darker than it normally was. So it was hard to say if it was a trick of shadows that started it, or intentional, but what started off as a whisper; soon grew into a roar as the beast of war unleashed his heartless rage upon the city, declaring it a supporter of the renegade mage population and a mark against the crown.
"Thaedes will fall for this!"

How dare they speak out against the Grand Duke, this nation. And soon Thaedes would take to fire and run with blood.

Foot steps were heard upon the wet cobblestone, men's garbled cries and the striking of swords echoed through the streets. The winds came in harder, just as the orders were bellowed out, and soon the street's glossy cobblestone was reflecting the orange hot flames that were soon roaring and reaching for the skies.

The White Crested Inn had bordered up it's windows, much like it had done when wild storms would come in. This time, the owners feared for the city's safety- ever since the rumors spread and word got out that there were mages in hiding- and that boats were smuggling them down to Serendipity and the islands through the Hivan Sea.

And the warlord that came was right about this, however, and the air was too tense for them to hide the secrets; and the God of War just needed one good reason to declare this town was full of mages...

And it would become her fault.
Had Krah never came to the White Crested for some drinks, perhaps the city could have been spared, but Kella Harmond had been there, hoping to catch the next ship out of the city come morning, and in doing so, was trying to remain discrete but even in her tattered clothing, the god of war spotted her out in the crowd. And when she tried to avoid flirtations, the man came in for a gruff beard kiss, and was shocked when he felt something course through him.

Drawing his blade he cried out she was a mage and demanded the place be burned, and the chaos started from there. He locked the patrons and all inside and bolted the door closed. Kella and the rest were left begging through bleeding, knocking fists to be let out- but the God of War thought nothing of it before he tossed a flaming bottle in through the window, and the Inn took to flame.

And so the fall of Thaedes had begun.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

(( This is um...kinda long. xD ))

Thirteen hours earlier, a man and a boy arrived at The White Crested Inn.The pair looked worn-down, their clothing dirty , waterlogged and in tatters. They looked every bit as much like beggars and the innkeeper frowned as the pair of them made their way to the reception desk. The man wore a hooded cloak of forest green, his facial features predominantly masked by shadows provided by the cowl; he laid a gloved hand down on the counter, " A room for two, please."

The innkeeper stared at him dubiously, "Sorry, son, but this isn't a poor house. I'll need to see some coin, "leaning back in his seat and rubbing his double chin hidden by a scruffy silver beard. 

The lad beside the hooded man seemed to look suddenly smaller, his shoulders slumping and his head lowering as if defeat. The poor thing wore an exhausted and dejected expression, but whatever he was feeling he kept it to herself. He was a thin , delicate thing and like the man standing beside him, he was swathed in a cloak of green that masked the majority of his features.

The hooded man nodded and removed his hand from resting on the desk, " Will this do?"

The innkeeper shot up in his seat and snatched up the gold coin that rested on his desk. Now he narrowed his eyes even more suspiciously at the man , "How come you by this?"

"Ask no more and there is more to be earned." The hooded man replied, holding up a second gold coin. " I'm acquainted with the Captain. I know that you know him, Mister Miller. We're only here for the night and you will hardly notice our presence and we'll be gone by morning. "

The innkeeper nodded, but spoke not a word on the matter. For to speak of mages and of ferrying them away from the Grand Duke's judgment, the judgment of Ansgar was considered a high form of treason. The innkeeper was a religious man, but all the faith in the world hadn't done well for his business. He needed the coin to feed his family and keep his business and sometimes this meant doing business with the devil. But most of these mages he'd done business with were seemingly a decent folk. They all could pay well for the risks that Miller was taking to temporarily harbor them . How could he say no? The Grand Duke certainly wasn't paying him any money for his loyalty so he figured he owed the man little. Afterall, Calent hadn't delivered on any of the promises he'd made before ascending to the throne as far as the bitter old innkeeper was concerned!

"Very well, lad. You have yourself a room for the night and meals and a baths. If you need anything, ask my wife or daughters and they will see to it. " Mister Miller replied with a knowing smile and a nod. He slipped the coin into his pocket then opened his desk drawer up and pulled out a key which he handed to the hooded man, "So, what shall I call you ,good sir?"

The hooded man claimed the key that was offered to him and smiled, "Conner Tremaine and this here is my nephew, Jon. "

Miller knew it was a fake name. Few mages were comfortable with revealing their identity, but he accepted this. It hardly mattered to him who they were so long as he got paid. Miller nodded and smiled, "Welcome to the White Crested Inn, Mister Tremaine."

~

Their room was cramped and hardly even worth a silver, but Alastrom understood what sort of risk that the innkeeper was taking in providing him and Alanna shelter. The innkeeper thought they were simply mages and Alastrom knew that so long as he kept on believing this that he and Alanna could survive this final night in hell . In the morning, they'd be sailing away to freedom and peace.

Alastrom quietly set his traveling pack on the floor at the foot of his bed and paused to glance over his shoulder at the sleeping form of Alanna curled up atop the bed on the opposite side of the room. He watched her for a few moments , smiling softly and shaking his head. Poor girl. She'd been so tired that she hadn't bothered to pull back the blankets or sheets and get under them. He moved over to her bed and leaned over her with the intend to amend that because it was going to be a cold evening and there was no heating in the inn. It didn't help that he clothing was still damp.

He gently pulled the blanket out from under her and brought it up to cover her body up to her chin. He leaned over her and kissed her forehead as he always had when she was a little girl.

Alanna groaned and stirred, " Al? " She opened one eye groggily and stared up at his face. She smiled when he nodded and rested a hand on her head." Jon? Seriously? You couldn't come up with something more masculine?"

Alastrom frowned at her and  moved away.  He crossed the room and sat down on his bed, " It was the first name that came to my mind. "

Alanna pouted, "I'd rather be Connor. "

"Too late. You're Jon. "

"Ugh..."Alanna pulled the blanket up over her head.   

Alastrom shook his head, "Even when he isn't here, you still have to give the poor kid a hard time. "

"Because it's Jon and he's dumb."

With a loud yawn, Alastrom pulled the blanket up over himself and laid his head to rest on the pillow. "Get some sleep. We need to wake a couple hours before sunrise."

~

It was the smell of smoke that woke him first. He lay there for a moment , sniffing and pondering whether or not he was imagining things because it smelled as if something very close was burning and the room itself felt warmer. Then he heard the pounding of fists against wood and the shattering of glass and sat bolt upright in bed. He heard Alanna gasp and when he turned his head to regard her he saw she too was wide awake and already rising from bed.
"What was that?"

Alastrom quickly gathered his pack, "Dunno. I think the inn is under attack."
"I think the building is on fire. We should get out of here." Alanna moved to open the window, but as she drew near it something crashed through it , showering her in wooden splinters and glass shards. Alanna turned her back quickly towards the window to protect her face, the glass fragments tearing mercilessly into her cloak.

She heard a man laughing on the outside of the window. Probably an attacker, Alanna thought.

"Alanna! Get away from that window!"

Alanna moved away quickly and looked down at the floor at the blazing torch that had been thrown into their room. The flames were already hungrily feeding off of the wood floor and spreading quickly. Alanna moved to pick up the torch. Fire was not something she had to fear usually. As an elementalist, she could touch fire without being harmed but now she could feel the heat. Her magic wasn't working. She looked across the room at her guardian whom was already opening the door, " There's a mordecai here. "

Alastrom cursed their luck and gestured for her to run to the door, "Come on, we'll find a different way out! Hurry!"

Alanna needed no second bidding. She ran past Alastrom, exiting the room and stumbling out into the hall. The pair made their way to the common room and found the other patrons of the inn gathered there, huddled together in fear. Mostly women, children and elderly. The few men present at the inn were searching the building for a way out.

Mister Miller himself was at the front door, banging on it with his fists and crying out to their attackers on the other side hysterically , "Let me out! I've nothing to do with these heretics! I beg you! My family and I are innocent! Please, spare us!" He sobbed pathetically.

"Oh Ansgar have mercy!" One old woman cried, " We're going to be cooked alive!"

"Well, if you think you're going to die then don't stand there crying about it!" Alanna snapped. "Do something!"

Alastrom went over to Mister Miller and put a hand on his shoulder, " That won't do you any good."

"Get your hands off me!" The hysterical innkeeper shrieked and wrenched his shoulder free. Red-faced , he spun around and pointed an accusing finger at Kella, "This is YOUR fault! You should go out there and die for what you did! All of you mages should!  "

Alastrom quirked a brow and frowned, " It doesn't matter who is to blame. Pointing fingers is not going to save anyone. They think you are a mage supporter and nothing you say is going to make them spare your life. "

"Shut up! I've heard enough from you, Tremaine! I'm not going to die for you mages ! " He moved forward to grab for Kella and Alanna moved in front of his path. She stared up at him defiantly though she was much smaller and thinner and could probably be snapped in two by the sturdy innkeeper. "Leave her alone! Al- er I mean, my uncle is right. Blaming other people is not going to save your life. Instead of fighting each other, we should be getting out of here."

"Get out of my way,you foolish brat!" Miller snarled and lifted a meaty arm to strike her.

Alastrom tackled him in an instant, knocking the larger man up against the door and pinning him there with a strength that wasn't human. "Cooperate or I'll kill you personally." He growled softly, his eyes filled with murderous promise.

He then turned to the people that were still huddled together in the central-most part of the common room,  "We're probably going to have to fight our way out unless there's some secret escape route?" His eyes went over to Mister Miller who was slumped dejectedly against the door. The man didn't even look up or acknowledge him, "Miller?" Still no response.

Alanna pointed to one of the windows, "What if we removed the boards around the back?"

"It's no use, " a man towards the back of the common room volunteered, " they've surrounded the inn. Probably because they think everyone in here is a mage. "

"We may not have any other choice, " Alastrom replied. "Let's remove the boards and I'll go out first."

"Right. I'll get the hammer then, "the man replied and went over to a table to fetch the tool. The other men moved to do the same and positioned themselves near the windows to pry the nails from the wood and pull the boards free.

visualspice

Kella, already frightened and burdened by guilt, shrunk back at Mr. Miller's claims. She knew it was true, even if she hadn't even tried to gain the mordecai's interest, but as luck would have it, that's how things would go, and now fire was every where. THough she was surprised when a young boy stood between her and the angered inn-keep, that when the chaos was quelled and the events began t flow outwards like river of panic, with men all working desperately together for a means to escape, Kella peered down towards the boy and whispered a soft, trembling, "Thank you."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Alanna offered Kella a warm smile, "Don't mention it. That guy is an asshole."

"Jon! " Alastrom heard the girl from where he was working at his own window. He turned his head to look back over his shoulder, "Language."

"Ugh. Well, it's true!"

"Jon." Alastrom growled.

Alanna sighed , "Fine. I'm sorry," and when Alastrom nodded approval and turned back to clearing the window, she added under her breath , "but not really." 

"I heard that."

Alanna pouted, " You're no fun."

Alastrom pulled the last bit of wood planking free from his window and shouted above the crackling of scorching fire and wood, "I've got a window clear."

"Same here!" Another man a couple windows down shouted back.

"The men will go first. Everyone else , please line up behind an open window and don't panic. We'll get out of here-"

They heard the sound of gunfire and screams , followed by a rush of panic.

"Away from the windows! Down!" He shouted and threw himself down flat on his stomach, crawling away from the window as bullets passed overhead. Some of the people listened, others did not.

Alanna followed her guardian's instructions immediately. Seeing Kella, she crawled over to the girl, "You okay? Don't worry. My uncle will get us out of here."

"No one stand up!" Alastrom instructed, " I'm going to try something. Might want to keep your distance from me."  Alastrom rose slowly and moved towards the window. The soldier standing on the other side, raised his pistol and fired. The aim was true but the bullet stopped in mid air just a split second shy of entering the mage's skull. The soldier's eyes widened and instinctively he fired again. The first bullet dropped harmlessly to the ground and the second stopped as well just as the first had. The soldier fired again ,but only in vain. He dropped the gun and drew a blade,which seemed to melt in his hands. He screamed, the remnants of his weapon burning his flesh.

Alastrom climbed through the window and found himself surrounded by soldiers. He tilted his head to one side as they aimed their guns and blades at him and screamed orders to surrender. "Leave this town and its people alone. I won't ask twice. " Alastrom replied icily.

(( Let me know in messenger if you want me to add more or make some changes))

visualspice

Krah, who had just been about ready to move out once he watched the place take fire clean to it's roof top, paused upon his war horse to peer back towards a man that came out from the burning wreckage. And that made him grin.

"Did that mage just give us orders?" And with a laugh, he turned his horse around with a sharp pull and kick to it's side and shouted. "Kill him! AND FIRE THE CANON INTO THAT PLACE!"
And his men hesitated not to pull- and the canon fired, the ball aiming to take off the top half of the inn and finally make the groaning remains cave in.

Inside, Kella had been taken back by the young boy's language. But under Alastrom's instructions, she simply obeyed and remained on the floor. Though to watch his powers was truly a sight as a breath caught in her throat and as she watched him manage to stop the bullets before they sunk clean into his head.

Though the moment was lost when a crack occurred over head, and the support beams to the inn suddenly gave way and began to fall towards the people below.

Paradox

Alastrom wasn't surprised that his words went unheeded. Even so, his expression couldn't mask the horror as the canon exploded , the large iron ball devastating a portion of the roof and causing it to collapse inward.  He shook his head, "Mistake." And in the same breath he turned his focus to the earth and, with a stomp of his foot, he sent a shockwave through the earth that staggered the soldiers and sent many of them to their knees.

Alanna heard the din above them and looked up immediately to see a part of the ceiling come crashing down. She shot Kella a frantic look, " We have to get out of here!" If they stayed inside, they'd get killed. If they went outside, they'd probably die too but Alanna would rather take her chances outside. "Come on! To the window and try to stay low!"

((You told me in messenger that only a portion of the ceiling is falling so...that's what I wrote. xD I'm not going to assume much more but feel free for some unfortunate soul to get crushed)) 

visualspice

Alanna and Kella had avoided the ceiling, but some others weren't so fortunate. The poor inn-keeper... perhaps his own greed had got him in the end, but the remaining souls were still wallowing in the smoke and fire. Kella, not certain what to do, felt dizzy and numb as she followed the girl to the window and somehow, managed to get herself outside of it.

Outside the air was much cooler, though not unwelcomed, but when Alastrom shook the ground, the soldiers weren't the only ones who fell to their knees as Kella, off-set by it and having a rather slight frame, fell to the ground as well.

The power was enough to spook the horse the God of War sat upon as he fought for control, but in his moment of annoyance he didn't fail to bark out another command.
"Keep firing at the inn and if you see any one trying to run, shoot them on the spot!"
And not even a moment later, a few nearby buildings also began to take to flame...
And the inn itself was groaning and about ready to collapse, while the ones inside were still scrambling to get out. And it was on her knees Kella watched in horror as the building finally cracked, and down it went, flames and all, an the screams inside were horrifying as the few that remained got burned alive.

Paradox

Alanna cringed at the sound of the destruction and death crashing down behind them. She too was sent to her hands and knees when Alastrom's powers caused the earth to tremor. Part of her was relieved for the distraction, as brief as it was, but even so this wouldn't deter the soldiers from their murderous task. Alanna saw a soldier regaining his balance and noted that he was looking directly at her.

"Two more here!" The soldier snarled and unsheathed his blade, pointing it at Alanna whom was already on her feet, "I got 'em!"

Alanna leaned over Kella and grasped her arm, trying to help pull her up to her feet, "Get up! Hurry!"

visualspice

Chaos was everywhere, and Kella's world was in a whirl, though when Alanna dragged her to her feet, she gasped and instinctively pulled away, but realized, she had nothing to fear, for her cloak still protected the pair from having any skin to skin contact. But even then, she turned to cast an apologetic look to the young 'boy' as she cringed and nodded, and scrambled off behind her as the two made their way away from the scorching flames that were now engufling the inn. The White Crested would be no more, and as the soldiers were gaining on them, others were taking to the street when suddenly- an arrow shot out from seemingly nowhere and caught a soldier off guard but nailing him in the face.

Krah had turned just in time to catch this as his gaze narrowed towards a fortified set of houses nearby as he threw his blade holding arm out and commanded, "Over there! Note the way the houses look like barracks? See the arrows fly fromthem? Take that building down! All of it! Make it burn! Take this treasonous city down! Make those who fight us pay for their sins against Angsar!"

ANd with his voice echoing across the orange-flamed reflecting cobblestone, the soldiers moved out, moving away from the fallen Inn towards the sudden attack. And archers were quickly assembled, and flame arrows produced, and they began to fire away at the building and as Kella ran, she watched in horror as they too, began to take a light.

Paradox

When the whole in caved in, becoming little more than a flaming rubble Alastrom lost everything. Howling like a wounded wolf, he thundered towards the soldiers with his sights set on the coward on horseback that led them. As predicted, there were too many soldiers for him to fight with and they weren't about to let him get anywhere near Krah. This did little to deter Alastrom whom was convinced that there was nothing left for him now...

~

Alanna afforded Kella a brief peculiar look, "It's okay! I won't hurt you, lady. I just want to help!" She reassured her, oblivious to Kella's reasons for recoiling from her touch. As soon as the woman accepted this , the pair of them took off running together through the town. Alanna wasn't used to being in charge though. Alastrom had always told her what to do or how to react to a situation. With him gone, Alanna felt like a fish out of water but she didn't have time to think about how lost or helpless she felt because it was fear that fueled her actions, but that fear wasn't blind to the danger. Alastrom and the Free Folk had taught Alanna survival skills and it was second nature to the girl now.

She moved away from Krah's main force . There were soldiers everywhere they went , but the heavier artillery was what Alanna wanted to avoid. Using the buildings for cover, they ran from one building to another. Each time they would reach a building, Alanna would brace herself against the wall and pause to quickly assess their surroundings . At one such pause, she turned her head to regard the woman with her, " Which way leads out of -"she saw the soldier coming towards them out of the corner of her eye with murderous intent shining in his eyes. Before he could reach them, however , an arrow hit him right between the eyes and he collapsed backwards. Alanna ran over to him and searched his body quickly, claiming anything she could. Things like this used to disgust her so much when she had been much younger, but Alastrom had forced her to grow accustomed to death and anyone watching someone as young as she was looting a corpse so readily like she did might have been unnerved.  From the soldier she claimed only his blade. She had no talent with firearms.

She quickly returned to Kella's side and held out the sword. Kella WAS the adult here. But then it occurred to her that Kella was a woman and therefore probably not a fighter. She, however, had training and was masquerading as a male anyway,  "Er. I guess maybe I should hold onto this since you're a girl." She shook her head, " I want to find my uncle , but I don't think staying here is a good idea. Do you know which way we should go, Miss?" 

visualspice

Watching the man die was horrifying,- it always was, but to see the first deaths in battle really rattled her. She knew she was part of this chaos, this mess- though really, another mess like Havanlaar was over due, as the God of War had become bored quickly afterwards, and was also reveling in the praise. But this mess was a lot different, and this town, like Havanlaar, was under high suspicion of treasonous activity. Kella was just an unfortunate catalyst the egotistical 'God of War' needed to call his men to arms.

Now running along wtih Alanna, she took one look at the sword with a trembling expression and shook her head.
"I.. I have no skills with a sword. If you know how to use that weapon, it's best if you keep it," she told the boy meekly. THough once asked of which direction, she hadn't a clue.
"The harbor is just beyond those buildings over there. Though I'm not sure it's wise to let the soldiers chase us to the ocean. We'd be trapped." Glancing around, she tried to figure out where the exits were for town, and one quieter area, with no fire looming over it seemed to be the best option. So she pointed North.

"Up there. To the Northern Gate. There's no smoke. Let's head that way." She could only hope they'd be able to find an exit there. ANd as the two raced up the street, the God of War himself came galloping their way. Panicked, Kella froze.

Paradox

Alanna nodded and replied solemnly, "That's okay; I do. I've fought before. " And killed more than once. The first time had been terrible. The second time gave her horrible nightmares and the third had caused her to become disgusted with herself. But , gradually, the killing was something she grew accustomed to because it was either their life or hers, if not the life of someone dear to her.

She nodded at Kella's instructions, glad that at least one of them was somewhat familiar with their surroundings. "Alright, I guess we'll head north then. " She could feel herself shaking with her own nervousess. She'd never made decisions like this before and she wondered if she ought to rethink her decision but her indecision was cut horribly short when she heard the sound of hoofbeats rushing towards them and saw Krah coming. She gasped , but unlike Kella her instincts to flee kicked in, but she found her morality rooted her momentarily as she saw her new companion frozen in place, staring the galloping death right in the face.

Oh God. Was the woman just going to stand there and get hit? "MOVE!" Alanna pushed her out of the way just in time, falling over Kella as they both fell to the cobbles out of harm's way. Alanna scrambled up to her feet, "YOU ASSHOLE!" Alanna shouted after Krah. " Get off your horse and fight like a man!" Oh she was so mad! That coward! That JERK! And oh shit...she should have just shut her mouth and she knew it. She shook with such a rage and a fear and she helped Kella up quickly, "I'm sorry. I lost my temper.  I ... God, we should go! Now. In case he turns around and decides to try and kill us a second time. "

((Potty mouth Alanna. Alastrom, you failed at parenting! ))

visualspice

Kella let out a yelp as she a shoved aside, and cringed at the pain of the fall. But even as they were safe, she flinched back at Alanna's choice of words, but only nodded numbly at her idea to retreat.

Scrambling into the shadow-laced alley ways, Kella's heart was thumping heavily within her chest. And her boots were thumping heavily on the cobblestone.
"H-here, around this bend!" Kella managed to call out. "There's a street that connects to the Northern Street, but if we follow the back of these houses, we should miss any soldiers riding through the middle of the town."

And by the time they made it a few streets over, the fire was spreading and the screams from the townsfolk could be heard, wailing into the night. People were already beginning to flee, others racing all around them as they all tried to make quick work to leave the city. As one man ran past, he bumped into the two girls and apologized while fixing his spectacles.

"So sorry, but the lot of you ought to run. It seems the God of War aims to make Thaedes his next Havanalaar!" and off he run, fearful he'd become just another pile of bones in the slaughter. Though not knowing why everyone seemed to be running south, Kella found out just as the pair reached the end of the street.

"Oh no. There are soldiers at the Gate. They're already creating a barricade."

Paradox

((Alanna's glorious potty talk continues. xD))

Alanna followed closely behind Kella and , thankfully, their route led to no unfortunate encounters . However , when they bumped into the poor spectacled man, Alanna almost poked his eyes out with her sword, which she held pointed at his face in a slightly shaky grip. She lowered it immediately when she realized the poor ,distraught fellow was not a soldier. "Sorry. " She offered hastily and then frowned when the man told them to run. "Duh. What do you think we've been doing, mister?"  If Al had been there, he wouldn't have approved of her attitude. She could imagine him glaring at her and then telling her to be nice. Her frown deepened as the spectacled man told them about Krah and his intentions for the town. 

"God of War? " Alanna scoffed at the likely self-given title and rolled her eyes, "Thanks for the info, pops." And then she frowned when he took off running for his life. Alanna turned to Kella and then glanced towards the North, "Well, shit.  I guess we're not going that way after all." She looked in the direction everyone else was running. South. "Fine. Plan B. We follow the rest of the sheep. Come on!" She snatched Kella's sleeve and pulled her to run along with her.

visualspice

Kella stumbled as she ran behind the girl. They were about the same height though Alanna was much stronger than she, for life on the road had been most unkind towards her since she had fled from the Duchy of Turgall. But those sorts of dangers were the least of her worries now, as the pair rounded the bend and witnessed a group of civilians being cut down by their throats. Their hot red blood splattered across the cobblestone, and glowed darkly int he moonlight.

Kella let out a gasp, but slapped a hand over her lips when she realized her voice drew the attention of the men.
"After them! And be wary for mages!"

The words were barked and echoed down the alley, and as Kella promptly tuned to run, they were cut off by another pair of soldiers on horse back. And this time, the men swiftly circled around them and paused their horses abruptly, who huffed with strained breaths.
With swords pointed at them, Kella knew they were doomed, as her blue eyes widened with fear.

"Drop your weapon there! Or we'll cut you down here on the spot!" the one man spat.
Kella instinctively backed up against Alanna, realizing they had no other options, but seeing how the other soldiers who's blades were still dripping with blood were coming there way, she panicked. No,... they could not die like this. Not like this.

Closing her eyes, she whispered a prayer of forgiveness, and as the men circled around them she slipped a hand out, unseen and touched the horse.
she could feel the pull of life energies suck into her from the massive beast- see it's memories, the strength and power within it. It had lived a life much simpler before the war- a life of leisure out on the plans of Adela, then a small farm to the south of Turgall in the Valley-

The memory was beautiful, and to see the wordl how it was through the eyes of a horse, was something that put her in a temporary mind-set of piece. For the golden flowers never looked so beautiful, and as the horse raced across the valley, kicking up pollen and dust, the world seemed to swim in a sea of golden snow.

but just as Kella was becoming enchanted by the small memories and lifeforce sucking into her, the horse reacted most unkindly to being touched and it reared back, bucking wildly before it's rider was thrown off, and the second horseman was fighting with his own horse as well, for the sort of fear the horse Kella touched was unnatural and wild, and it made the second beast rear up as well.

Her eyes still wide with fear, Kella felt terrible for the horse, but was relieved to see the chaos gave them an opening, and through teary eyes she turned.
"Run!" she told the boy, and was quickly working at returning her thick glove to her hand.

Paradox

((Mature themes. Warning: some explicit language, violence and attempted rape. Not graphic , but I am slapping a warning regardless. ))

Alanna cursed their ill fortunes when they unintentionally ran into a group of soldiers. Much harsher expletives exploded from her uncouth tongue the moment the soldier on horseback cut them off, depriving her and Kella of their escape route. In spite of her deep and very real feelings of fear, Alanna boldly laughed scornfully at the man whom ordered her to lower her weapon. "I'm not a coward nor am I fool! If you want my blade then come and try to take it, you murderous curs!" If she was going to die, she'd do it fighting. She knew that these men had no intentions of allowing her or Kella to live.

A couple of them teased her. They had cruel, twisted smiles on their faces and they laughed mockingly at the girl as they took turns feinting at her . Alanna snarled her frustration at them and almost made the mistake at striking at them with her weapon. She knew that was what they wanted. For her to leave herself wide open so that she'd be that much easier to cut down. No, no. She would wait for the right moment that would present her with a guaranteed hit. She wanted to hurt, maybe kill, at least one of these bastards before she fell.
As the men closed in around them, Alanna trained her blade towards the man whom dared to draw the nearest to them . She was too preoccupied watching him that she failed to notice what Kella was up to until the horses spooked for no see-able reason that Alanna could discern. She didn't pause to concern herself over the details though because all she needed to know was that now the soldiers had become distracted with the terrified beasts. 

She stared at Kella curiously for a moment, watching her slip her glove on. What an odd thing to do at a time like this. But of course it didn't occur to her that Kella , like Alastrom, was a sort of mage that wasn't affected by the mordecai as she was. She did, however , note the tears in the woman's eyes and briefly set a gentle, reassuring hand on her shoulder. She nodded, her touch going away as soon as it was there, "Right!"

And they continued running south, heading towards the harbor which was also ablaze. Alanna's eyes scanned the docks, her eyes going to every ship. There wasn't one that wasn't alight, but in the distance she could see men and women leaping into the water only to have soldiers firing arrows and shots into the water. And the waters ran red with the blood of many unfortunate souls.

As they were nearing the harbor Alanna heard a desperate cry for help and skidded to a stop, abruptly turning east and spying a couple of soldiers in the alley harassing a poor girl . "Get your hands off me! Someone, help!" The girl sobbed and tried to struggle against the soldier that had her pinned up against the wall of a building while his buddy's hands roughly felt her up and more than once in places that made Alanna blush furiously. 

"Please, let me go!" The girl begged her captors. The man molesting her laughed and did not heed her while the one holding her down slapped her face with a free hand.

"Shut it, bitch!"

Without a thought, without hesitation Alanna ran towards the woman and the soldiers who didn't see her coming until it was too late. The soldier holding the woman started to turn, hearing the approaching footsteps, although the action wasn't swift enough. Alanna's blade struck low, cutting through muscle and tendon. The man screamed and fell away from the woman he'd had at his mercy, dropping his blade instinctively to grab at his hamstring which bled profusely. His partner lunged for Alanna and the girl barely avoided the thrusting sword point that was aimed at her heart.

"Sneaky bastard!" The soldier spat and lunged again. Alanna's blade snapped up and deflected the blow , barely. The strength of his sword swing nearly caused her to lose the grip on her weapon, but she managed to keep it and deflected another killing blow. But she wasn't as experienced as he was and he had her constantly on the defensive. "Run! Both of you!" She called to the other women because she could see where this scenario was going and she didn't want any more people to die needlessly. Though part of her hoped that someone would step in and she wouldn't have to die here...

The blade was finally knocked from her hand and her opponent's sword raised high, readying for the finishing strike. "Time to meet your maker, boy!"

visualspice

Without a weapon, it seemed as if Kella was trying to go upstream in a boat, but without a paddle- though soon it was a paddle she only had, for near the harbor were series of abandoned and burning and broken boats and paddles littered all across the ground. And as the madness went on, Kella did the only thing seh could think of to save the young boy as she picked up a paddle and wailed it across the man's skull.

Though it shouldn't have been so effective because Kella was so slight, she hit the man in just the right place,a nd because the paddle itself had a broke spot on it, the splinters cut into his temple, and a huge gash was made that bubbled blood. The man stumbled, and slumped over, only garbling words as his body twitched with the last systematic glitches of life.

Paradox

Realzing that there was no time to defend herself, Alanna closed her eyes and prepared herself for death. There'd be no pearly gates for her. As a magic-user , she knew precisely where Ansgar would be sending her. But unexpectedly she heard a loud cracking sound followed by the pained grunt and dull thud. Her eyes snapped open and she looked up and over at the soldier's still form and then at Kella holding the oar. It took her few moments to collect her wits, "Thanks." She manged, feeling herself shake slightly. And then she offered Kella a lopsided grin that might have been charming if her face hadn't been quite so dirty, " I guess that makes us even now!" 

Alanna turned to the poor girl whom the soldiers had been harassing, "Are you alright, miss?" 

The woman rushed over to Alanna and threw her arms around the girl and planted a kiss in her cheek. "Ansgar bless you, lad!"

"Uh...yeah. Great. Um...not to be rude or anything but we probably keep moving," she nodded at the girl, "I'm Jon and this is...erm...no idea? " She'd leave it up to Kella to introduce herself or not, "You can come with us, if you like. Although, I have no idea where we're going."

"I'm Imogene, " the girl introduced herself, "it's nice to meet you both in spite of the circumstances. " She turned her head over her shoulder, "I um...actually, if you could help me find someone then  I could take you both to a safe place."

Alanna exchanged uncertain glances with Kella. "Safe here? I don't know...but I guess we don't have many options. So who is it that you're looking for?"

Imogene frowned and tugged nervously on one of her blonde pigtails, " My little brother. His name is John too. He's about nine years old , short messy blond hair and a grey tunic and oh...he always carries his stuffed bear with him wherever he goes."

Alanna nodded, "Okay then, can you fight?"

The girl stared at Alanna as though she were mad.

"Girls.Sheesh! Fine, let's just go find little John as quickly as possible and hope we don't run into anymore trouble!" Although in all honesty, Alanna didn't expect to find the kid alive!

"He might be at his favorite fishing spot. Follow me!" Immogene gestured for the pair to follow.

Continuing their run along the docks, Alanna spotted a familiar face surrounded by soldiers. Just by looking at his bloodied and tattered clothing from a distance, Alanna figured that the poor man must've given the soldiers hell but was quickly losing steam. Though he didn't talk about it much, she knew that he suffered immensely every time he used magic and he probably had been using it a lot here. She saw three children standing close behind him, two boys and a girl. None of them looked older than ten. And the soldiers were closing in with their weapons poised to kill.

"Oh my God! " Immogene pointed in Alastrom's direction and gasped, "That's Jon with that mage!" And before Alanna knew what was happening, Immogene was running towards the soldiers , crying out for her brother.

"Immogene! NO!"

The warning came too late. As soon as the girl drew near, one of the soldiers cut her down with no hesitation at all.

"We've got to help them!" Alanna told Kella. But what match was she for five soldiers when she couldn't handle two?

~

"Stay close to me." A weary Alastrom calmly instructed the frightened children who cowered behind him in fear. His eyes never left the soldiers and he only slightly flinched in the face of the woman's death.

Behind him  , Alastrom could hear one of the boys crying, "That was my sister!"

"Running out of tricks, mage?" One of the soldiers taunted. "Your wicked magics will not save you from Ansgar's justice."

Alastrom snorted with disgust and , " You sick, delusional fools. Committing genocide is hardly justice. " He kept himself positioned squarely , bodily shielding the children from harm but his body had already taken enough of a beating and he'd nearly reached his limits. He looked about ready to collapse .

(( you may need to bring npcs in here since Kella might not do a whole lot here. OR I could make Alanna distract them somehow? You left messenger soooo can't  xD ))

visualspice

It didn't take much for one of the five soldiers to notice Alanna and Kella, and with a growl to his companions, he abandoned them to strike; besides, he had already killed off the girl and was seeing the red of war. It drove him forward, lke the killer the military wanted him to be, and soon Kella was pulling Alanna away, lest the young 'boy' be struck down by the blade.

Kella and Alanna nearly had fallen over, but the man was after them, quicker than lightning as his sword cut a gash across Kella's defending arm. She let out a cry of pain,a nd clutched at her arm as she doubled over, but kept herself at the boy's side, even as the man struck at them again.

OOC: Sorry, another smaller post than yours but I felt it best here to pause and let you do more Alastrom-ness or a reaction wtih Alanna~ but I guess I could add more if you want? it'd really just be more npc ness than anything :T

Paradox

"You dummy!" Alanna hissed angrily at Kella as she protected the girl from what would have most likely had ended in death , "You're unarmed!" And then her blade snapped up defensively and parried the soldier's incoming attack and she spat viciously at the man, "You asshole! She's not armed!"

~
Four men left. At least that increased their chances of surviving. "Kids, take a swim. "

"But-" one of the boys started to protest.

"Do it or die!" Alastrom snarled as viciously as he could, regretting having to speak to a child like that , but in a situation like this...there was little else he could do.

Before the soldiers could do anything the trio jumped into the water and disappeared beneath the waves, leaving Alastrom alone to contend with four men. But when he saw the soldier attacking two people, a woman and...was that... ?

"ALANA!" Alastrom's attentions immediately focused on the man attacking his - no, she was not his child. And the soldier exchanging blows with Alanna suddenly faltered when his sword melted in his hand . The poor soldier looked confused for a moment. With no weapon and facing a boy with a sword, he knew his fate was to be sealed in a matter of moments; he wasn't wrong. Alanna's blade cut mercilessly across his exposed throat and he went down.

Alanna started to run towards Alastrom ,but then stopped and went back to Kella whom had been injured. She knew she wouldn't hear the end of it from her guardian if she left someone in need to fend for themselves and especially a lady, "Are you okay? Ansgar, you're mad! You weren't - you could've been killed! "

Weakened by the use of his magic, Alastrom's mind was wracked with pain and he lost focus on the danger in front of him. The soldiers rushed him and the first to reach Alastrom went down under the might of Alastrom's brutal fist. The second that drew near took a devastating kick to the gut and went splashing into the water, however , weighted down by heavy plate...the soldier vanished under the waters to suffer a fate worse than a sword through the chest.

Two men remained but Alastrom was too exhausted to deal with them. Fortunately , he didn't have to as more civilians joined the fight on the harbor and threw themselves at the soldiers with brave but reckless abandon. Alastrom used the distraction to slip out of harm's way and run off towards Alanna and Kella. "Alanna! You're alive!" Guardian and child embraced for a moment before Alastrom turned his attention to Kella. "You have my gratitude  for keeping her out of trouble, miss."

Alanna's expression tightened with irritation, "Trouble? Excuse me, but I was totally kicking ass out there, Al. "

Alastrom glanced at the bloodied sword in Alanna's hand and frowned.

"Whatever. Al, listen. The nice lady got hurt and we should help her because she did help me too. "

Alastrom's eyes went to Kella's wound and he nodded, "Agreed, but she'll suffer worse if we stand around here talking about it. We should leave through the northern - "

"It's blocked. "Alanna cut him off, "Me and the nice lady were already there. It's crazy. They brought a fucking army! Can you believe it? For a town!  "

Alastrom shook his head, " We need to keep moving at least. We're sitting ducks out here. "

Alanna nodded, "Yeah. Um..." She looked to Kella and then to Alastrom, "Can she come with us ? She kinda saved my life."

Her guardian nodded. Really, the silly girl didn't need to ask.