Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire and Chaos in the City of Thaedes

Started by visualspice, December 31, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Kella was startled, but relieved to see the man awaken. Though as the question was brought back to her, she faltered, smiling ashamedly before dropping her gaze.

"You see, you passing out was no accident on your part, but mine." She found herself twisting her tattered coat beneath her hands before raising those blue eyes to his, after a long, tense paused had been shared between them all. And her lips were trembling.

"You see, you .. you touched me and it was my magics that harmed you."

And she pressed her lips flatly together. "My magic works on touch... skin to skin... so when you were healing me.." and she bit back a cringe, her mouth opening slightly before she pressed her lips back together, nearly forgetting her words.

"Well.. when you were trying to help tend to my wound, my body was trying to kill yours."
She dropped her gaze, smiling sadly at the whole idea of it and wrung her gloved hands together.

"You could say it's more of a curse than magic though.." and she grit her teeth through a forced smile as her eyes welled up with tears. THen she turned to him.
"I'm ashamed for not warning you sooner. It was foolish of me, but I was afraid, but now I see I should have just told you.. but I was frightened. I... I'd rather no one know. I'd rather not have hurt anyone."

And her eyes remained glossy as she looked into his.
"I'm sorry."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

(( F bomb dropped a few times. lol potty-mouthed Alanna strikes again!))

"WHAT!?" Alastrom snarled and started to stand up but then felt his head painfully spinning. Disoriented, he stumbled backwards and fell flat on his ass with a groan. He slapped his hands over his aching temples and growled with a face that was bright crimson with rage, " You could have killed me!? Why the hell didn't you- " She made excuses for her behavior but he was in so much pain and so angry. "You fool! " He continued to snarl at her, "No shit you should have told me sooner! You could have put the child in danger!"

"I'm not a child-" Alanna started in defensively , but Alastrom cut her off.

"You should be GOD DAMNED SOR- argh!" He doubled over, clutching his head.

"Don't you fucking yell at her!" Alanna snapped at him. "It's not her fault! She can't help it! You don't tell people everything either!"

"That's...different.."

"No it's not! She's got a scary kind of magic, Al. Think about it for a fucking moment! What do you think people would do to her if they knew? The same, if not WORSE than what they've done to us! You should understand her fear better than most people!  I DO! "

"Alanna listen-"

"NO! YOU listen!" She cut him off this time, he anger building with every word, " She saved my life and you're alive so stop being such a fucking dick! "

"..." Alastrom sighed , slumped forward and bowed his head and hid his face in his hands.

visualspice

Kella cowered beneath Alastrom's wrath. Though he was not striking out at her, the way she flinched and stared at him in fear made it seem as if he had. But when Alanna stepped in to stand up for her, her eyes wavered. And she could only watch, too stunned to do anything else.

"Please.." she started, quietly. "Do not fight over me. Too much has happened because of me so far. I could not bear to think I'd tear a family apart. Please.. I.. I never meant any harm. To anyone. For anything I just.." and here, Kella began to break down and cry, sobbing as she buried her face into her hands.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Alanna walked over to the woman and embraced her tightly, " Don't say that, Kella. Me and Al fight enough on our own without your help. Don't give yourself so much credit. We're just tired and cranky and people say shit they don't mean, right Al?"

Alastrom didn't reply.

Alanna shook her head , "Come on, let's get the rest of your arm fixed up. I'll keep my gloves on!" She released Kella and held up her hands to show the other woman that she was fully covered and then gently took her hand and led her back to be seated at the table.

"So, " Alanna gathered some salve in one hand and rubbed it gently on the unhealed portion of the would, "where are you from , Kella? I'm from Uthlyn." Technically, she was originally from Allar but ever since she'd lived with the Free Folk, she had considered Home to be her home. "Have you ever been to Uthlyn? I think it's pretty there. " She picked up the needle and began stitching up the rest of the wound. Her hand was steady enough but she lacked the swiftness and skill of her guardian.

"If I wasn't a mage, I would have gone to school there - well, maybe not. Actually, I probably would have studied to be a shipwright like my mom...." Her expression dropped for a moment . Thinking about her parents always brought up painful memories. She shook her head, " I can't wait to get to Serendipity and learn how to use magic! I wonder what kinds of stuff I can do? I- oh...but, really I want to see Arca itself. I hear it's way bigger and prettier than Reajh. I hear some mages wear these BIG silly pointy hats and dresses. Even the boys."She giggled at the thought . It seemed pretty silly to her! 

She finished stitching the arm up, bit the thread and tied off the end. "There you go! All finished!" She beamed.

visualspice

Kella tried not to wince or scream- but the pain was evident with delicate little 'ouches' here or there. But she smiled anyways, bit back screaming any louder than she ought, and stared down at the young girl's hands as she worked, but avoiding seeing the wound.

"I'm from Turgall," she told her softly, her eyes going distant at the memory, and emotions fluctuating there in. But once the topic went to Uthlyn, she was smiling again. "Yes, I have been to Uthlyn." And her eyes peeked over curiously to Alastrom. "Are you both from there? Uthlyn, I mean."
Ad she looked back to Alanna and added, "I've been to their library. It's a beautiful place and they have a lot of all sorts of books to read. But I can't say much about SErendipity, nor it's capital. I have never been. Though I'd like to."
She gave a sheepish smile.

"That's.. that's why I had come here. I heard some ships were taking travelers for free to the country and I thought.."
and here she averted her gaze and smiled sadly, exposing some of her teeth as she did. "Well, I suppose it doesn't matter what I thought. It doens't seem like an option now."

Paradox

"I've never been to Turgall before, but Al probably has. He's been to lots of places. But , oh yes. The library in Uthlyn is so cool! It's really big like a castle! Oh, well, not really that big but almost! Actually, I can't tell because I've never actually been inside . Al tried to take me once but they chased us away because they thought we were beggars. Our clothes are so ..." She laughed and  looked down at her filthy clothing, tattered and frayed. "Well, see for yourself." 

"Ah, but I do love reading, don't you? Al taught me how.  My favorite books to read are from a mystery series by Eva Blair! But most of her books ended up being banned when the war started because they mention magic in them. See, the main character , Sister Clarity , is a mage but she doesn't use magic which is why I don't really understand why but I guess it's because the stupid nobility doesn't like the idea of mages being portayed as anything more than evil. I- oh.    I'm sorry. I'm rambling again. "Alanna laughed and blushed, waving a gloved hand and then shaking her head.

Alanna glanced back at Alastrom who seemed preoccupied with nursing his head, " Eh. I guess you could say that we're from Uthlyn. We stayed there for a few years and it's the only place that we could really call a home. " She turned her gaze back towards Kella and shrugged her shoulders , "I was born in Allar and lived there for a little while until my neighbors found out that I had magic. They told the church and the church sent mordecai to take me away..." She shook her head and forced a laugh, "those bastards took everything..."

She sighed , "Alastrom ....he found me and took me away from that horrible place. We found our way to Uthlyn and to people who were nice to us and took us in.They were good people, so good to us. I wish we could have stayed with them , but it was too dangerous. Not for us, but for our friends. So we here we are, running again."

"Vythe, "Alastrom spoke up, "I was from Vythe. " 

Alanna looked back over her shoulder at the man. This was news to her and she looked at him curiously.

"We were here for the same reason. Seems we'll just have to find another way out."

"You should come with us, Kella. "Alanna told the woman kindly, " We'd look out for you and we were all headed in the same direction anyways. Safety in numbers! What do you say?"

visualspice

"I..." Kella began to speak, not sure of what to say. Alanna spoke a mouthful and as she mulled over a response,s he gave a sheepish stare Alastrom's way.
"I would hate to intrude. But traveling with others would be nice," she said, swiping some loose fringes of blonde hair from her face.

Paradox

"We don't mind! Right , Al?"

No response came from the man at first. He shifted his position on the floor, slowly rising to stand on his feet. For a moment, he wobbled slightly and looked as though he might lose balance.

"Please?"

Still no answer. Alastrom crossed the room, moving to the pantry and proceeded to scour it for a meal.

"Come on! She said she was sorry, jerk!"

"I never said no." Alastrom replied evenly.

"And you never said yes, smart ass."

Arms loaded with sustenance, the man carried his spoils over to the table and set them down. Bread, some apples and a wedge of cheese. There had been a time when he would have looked upon his actions and been appalled, but now he didn't think twice and felt not an ounce of shame because survival was what mattered now.

"Miss..."

"Her name's Kella." Alanna interjected helpfully.

"Kella, I am Alastrom-"

"I already told her that."

Alastrom blinked slowly and replied with equal delay , "Oh. " He shook his head and grabbed a knife, using that to slice a small loaf of bread he'd set down on the table. "What else have you told her?"

"Uh...well , she knows we're both mages? You're not mad about that, are you? I think she can be trusted."

Alastrom frowned and finished slicing the bread, offering a couple pieces to Alanna before giving a couple to Kella. He studied Kella for a long, hard moment before replying, " No. It's fine." He removed the waterskin that hung from around his neck and set it down on the table, "Share it. It's all the water we have left until I find more. "

A few moments of silence passed before Alastrom spoke again, " Sorry. I didn't mean to yell at either of you like that. " He reached for an apple but held it in his hands. Though his body needed the nourishment, he didn't feel hungry. "Alanna was right. I ...should know better."

visualspice

Though the man had gone out of his way to find them food, Kella could not even fathom eating at a time like this. Nerves curdled her insides and kept her stomach into a tightly knit not. So when the food was offered to her,s he shook her head but simply stared at what was given to her on her lap.

The silence was an awkward thing. She knew the man was mulling over something, lest he wouldn't have left so many pauses before his words. It took her some time, but after a long moment, she finally lifted her gaze to Alastrom.

"Do you think it's safe for us to leave yet? I... I'd hate to be stuck here if they come back in with the canons." Though she was not sure how much safer being out on the city streets would be. She turned away, staring towards the windows and wondering if the small piece of hope she clung onto wouldn't be dashed away by soldiers suddenly ransacking this place.

Paradox

There was a long silence. Alastrom was a methodical, quiet man. One whom was not given swiftly to wagging his tongue. From the dull, listless expression that he so frequently wore on his rocky features, some assumed that the man was simple of mind. And that was hardly so.

"We probably have no choice, "Alastrom replied softly, " it's likely that they will return just to sweep through for survivors. They don't need to waste a canon on a simple little house. Fire is a cheaper weapon and much more effective. If the smoke doesn't drive us out to them, the flames will consume us if the smoke doesn't cause us to suffocate first. "

He shook his head and set the apple down on the table, " We have two options. We can try to hide here and pray they don't find us or , soon, we can try to escape. If they're coming back, it'll be before this night is through. Just like Havanlaar..." He frowned , " And it's easier to slip past them at night when their visibility is low."

He gestured to the food, "I'd suggest eating or at least drinking now while you have the opportunity. "

Alanna had already crammed the bread into her mouth and was helping herself to a slice of cheese. The poor kid was starving and her hunger won out over her nerves.

visualspice

Kella looked down at her lap.
"I'm not sure I can eat.."
ANd a distant rumble of canon fire made her gasp and clutch onto her jacket. She stared at the windows, straining her ears as if to listen for more battle cries, but it seemed most of the fighting was distant for now. This side of the city was decimated anyways except for the building in which they hid.

She turned to Alastrom, fear evident in her eyes.
"Do.. do you think that would be wise? Imean.."s he tucked back more hair, but it still fell over her eyes anyhow. "I'm not sure what we should do. It's too dangerous anywhere we go." She lowered her gaze back to her lap. "Though I suppose biding our time could not hurt. It seems the battle has moved on to the North."

Paradox

Alastrom shrugged slightly, his broad shoulder barely moving, "Your choice. I don't know how long or hard your road has been ,but we haven't eaten much in week. " His eyes wandered over to Alanna whom was making quite a pig of herself. "Or you can save it for later, but there's no telling when you'll have time to replenish your strength again. I suppose it's easier for us because we're used to it..." And that was a terrible thing to say, but it was the truth. He'd seen so much death, it almost made him feel numb at times. 

He turned his back on her and moved away from the table, " What other choice is there for us? We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. It's quiet now and if it were just me, I'd take whatever provisions I could and be on my way. However , I am not alone. Alanna needs a reprieve."

And so do I. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I've nearly taxed my limits from the last encounter with Geraint and his bloodhounds. He turned around to face her, and the guilt he felt after admitting as much weighed heavily in his tone and on his weary expression. "I don't think we shoul-" He suddenly felt a wave of pain and dizziness grip him ; he swayed on his feet for a few moments and lost his balance.

Poor Kella; the man fell towards her!

visualspice

Kella clutched onto the bread, keeping it close and contemplating what he said. He was right, but she felt far too ill and anxious to eat. But as the conversation went on, she didn't have time to notice the tell tale signs he was growing woozy, s when he began to slump forward she dind't have time to catch him as he crashed onto her lap- crushing her bread beneath his face.

Stunned, Kella remained there, blinkingly as she somehow held the man in her lap, before gasping and wriggling her one exposed hand to ensure she wasn't touching any of his flesh. But even as he was not much taller than she, she was still weighed down from him and a second later, she let out a yelp as she collapsed and his form spilled over top of hers.

Paradox

Alanna heard the crash and looked up from another generous helping of cheese and bread. Seeing Alastrom face-down of the floor again, the girl leaped out of her chair and ran over to him. "Al!? What are you-" and she noticed poor Kella crushed beneath him.

"He passed out again? Hang on, Kella. I'll get him off of ya. " Alanna got down on her knees beside them and , placing her hands on Al's broad shoulder, she pushed as hard as she could. "Damn! He's heavier than he looks." She tried again ,but the man hardly budged. "Come on, Al . Wake up!"He didn't and so, she slapped him.

Alastrom's eyes snapped open.

"Al! Get your fat ass off of Kella!"

What? It was only then that he noticed the woman pinned underneath him. He rolled off of her immediately and turned his back to the women, hiding the embarrassed flush on his face. " Sorry. I don't know what happened. I guess I'm more tired than I thought I was."

Alanna helped Kella to sit up, "Are you okay, Kella? He didn't break anything , did he?"

visualspice

Kella was in a daze. She had been winded, surely, but any stinging in her head was already beginning to subside. Though she was suffering a slight dizzy spell, it soon passed as she placed a hand to her forehead.

"I.. I shall be alright," she said, once her breath returned. She blinked back a few tears and frowned  towards Alastrom. "I... please, there's no need to apologize. You've bee injured I.... I'm actually surprised you survived my touch at all." Naturally, Kella felt she was to blame as she looked up at him with those blue, doe like eyes of hers.

"Are you alright?" she then asked him, cautiously as she looked him over. "Perhaps you should lay down for a bit, let your body recuperate. We've all been through a lot, but surely you the most of all. Please," she insisted, placing a gloved hand upon his arm. "Please."

Paradox

Alastrom frowned at the suggestion, but he knew better than to protest the fact. Whatever Kella had done to him, he felt pained, dizzy and weak. He wasn't in any condition right now to do much of anything and this frightened him. Who would protect Alanna if not him? Silently, he prayed for Ansgar to show mercy and not allow trouble to come their way. But how many prayers had he made to his God that had gone unanswered? Over the years his faith had been crumbling and in this moment of fear and uncertainty, he still desperately clung to the belief in a God that had done nothing but betray his loyalty.

"I..I have endured far worse pain than your touch, if you can believe it. " He touched his forehead, "Your magic is potent though. I think it amplified the side affects of my own abilities." He felt her hand rest on his arm and did not miss the concern in her tone. For her to show compassion in the face of his prior harshness , it humbled him.  "I may have taxed my limits." He bowed his head, ashamed that all of the effort he'd made had done so little to save lives. 

visualspice

"Then rest," she told him softly, squeezing his arm just slightly. "I.. I could keep watch. The windows out front, though a bit dirty from the smoke, offer enough for me to be able to see out of. I could do this while you rest. For now, I think we're safe, but during these times of war, one can never be too certain what to expect."

Paradox

He didn't want to, but Alastrom knew that arguing with her was futile when his body wasn't in agreement with him. Nodding , the stoic man's thin lips curled at the corners ever-so-slightly, displaying a ghost of a smile, "I...thanks." Having expressed his gratitude, he lay down on the floor and closed his eyes. "Just... don't linger near a window."He knew he didn't have to explain to her what sort of danger that presented.

"I can help. " Alanna spoke up now, eager to prove to the adults (and especially her guardian) that she could be useful in times of need. "Do you need me to make a bed? Gather supplies? Watch from another window so more vantage points are covered? " She was looking to Kella for orders since Alastrom hadn't given any yet.

visualspice

Kella turned to Alanna with a warm smile.
"Helping to find things to make Alastorm more comfortable would be nice, yes." She gave the young girl a nod before peering over at Alastrom.
"And you're welcome."
Turning back to Alanna, she thought over their situation briefly before peering back to him.
"Is there anything you'd like? Your daughter or I could get them for you. I'm sure it's not a problem and certainly, we might be able to find something inside this home..."

Paradox

"Daughter?" Alanna wrinkled her nose and then smirked, "We're not related. My parents are dead. " she shrugged, "Al just looks out for me. "

Her lack of hesitance to say as much cut into Alastrom's feelings profoundly, but the man shook his head and fought to keep a neutral expression. Though if one cared to study it close enough, they would have seen that those words had upset him. It could be seen in the corners of his lips and the furrowing of his bushy brows. It was the truth, but even so...after everything they'd been through together and for so long there had always been a small hope that she might have one day thought of him as such. But that was a selfish wish, he supposed. She would never love him that much.

"Water, would be nice if there is any to be found." Alastrom replied numbly.

"Alright, I'll see what I can do. " Alanna replied as she rose to her feet and left the room .