Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Ultimate Sanctuary...sort of (Nahash)

Started by SilverShadow, January 15, 2014, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverShadow

((Continued from "The Untouchable"))

"Please sit, rest, I fear we have much to talk about."

Xanti also pulled up a cushion with her back to the wall, but on the other side of the tiny alcove so she could face him. She sensed no hostility from him, but she was as on edge as he was. Battles with demons on a school day (or even not on a school day) and being save by a man who could easily condemn you to death...these weren't exactly common occurrences for the fourteen year old.

"I'm in a difficult position now so I think it might help if you tell me a little about yourself."

Xanti nodded, her eyes on her feet. What was there to lose? If he was going to turn her in to be executed, he wouldn't need more information than what he'd just witnessed to do it. "My name is Xanti, I'm fourteen years old, and I go to the high school right by that alley. I'm an elemental mage, but I swear I never wanted to be... What do you want to know?"

nahash

Soules leaned against the wall and watched Xanti as she spoke.  She seemed to be a little shaken but who wouldn't after what they had just  been trough.  Other than that she looked like a normal teenage girl to him.  "Nice to meet you, I am Captain Soules Jolon." he said giving her a polite bow of the head.  "Firstly I want to confirm a suspicion,  you have no training in the use of your magic do you?"

SilverShadow

Her eyes glanced up at him, a dark, murky blue now, and then they dropped again. "No," she confirmed quietly. "I've only ever lived in Connlaoth. I could be put to death for receiving that kind of training. I am, however, quite skilled in containing and hiding it." She said this last bit with a note of pride in her voice, before adding, "Well, usually..."

nahash

"As I though, you seemed untrained but you have a frightening amount of raw power." He scratched he chin as he pondered his options.  "I can't in good conscious turn over a someone as young as you who's only crime was being born.  My superiors probably won't share my sentiment thou." he said with a uneasy smile.  "you're not injured in any way are you?"

SilverShadow

"I guarantee you they won't," Xanti said, a bitter, sad edge to her voice. "And probably half of Uthlyn saw that storm. They'll be looking soon. And anyone who was in the schoolyard could tell them it was me." She sighed, trying not to lose hope. He said he wouldn't turn her in. That was a start. The others hadn't found her...yet. Then he asked if she was injured.

"I don't...think so..." she said, startled. The thought that she might be hadn't even occurred to her. She was sore and tired, but as far as she could tell no actual injuries.

nahash

Soules gave Xanti a sympathetic smile "don't worry about the storm; with a demon on the loss everyone is going to attribute it to him. Other than me and Luna there was no one saw you were involved" he said.  He stretched out his arms and muffled a small yawn.  Now that the adrenaline rush was wearing off he felt worn out.  "I'm glad that you are ok" he paused for a moment "why do you think your school mates are going to say it was you, they were not there to see it?"

SilverShadow

Xanti gave him a contemplative look. "I imagine you wouldn't understand, since you seem to be the epitome of Connlaothian ideals. Except for helping me, of course. But when you're as obviously different as I am...people tend to hate you just for existing. Every bad thing that has happened in this school in the last 8 years has been blamed on me. They could never prove anything because it never was me, but that didn't stop them from thinking it."

She paused for a breath, looking down at her ragged shoes. "Besides, I'm a poor foster kid in a noble kids' school. I don't belong, and I'm the easy scapegoat." Then she added with a bite in her voice, "Who knows what poor people might do? They're practically animals." She glared sullenly at her shoes, a lifetime of abuse and bullying pent up inside her small form.

nahash

"Don't be so quick to judge, I do try and in an honorable way at all times but I have more in common than you know.  I am from a poorer family, a commoner family.  The higher one goes in the military the more post are held by noblemen.  I have made a great number of enemies as I worked my way you the chain of command.  I know the pain of being scorned solely because I was not born into a noble house.  Being poor is not a bad thing it makes you strong because you have to deal with hardships that those with means could never imagine "  He reached out and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

SilverShadow

She suppressed an instinctive flinch as he reached for her, but forced herself not to pull away as he squeezed her hand reassuringly. She was not used to being touched in a kind manner, and it was somewhat startling. And nice.

Then she mentally shook herself. She couldn't start feeling warm and fuzzy now. If there wasn't a price on her head yet there probably would be soon. "At least you look normal," she pointed out dryly, glancing up at her snow white hair, which was falling in her face again. "Everything about my appearance screams 'mage' to those who hate magic."

nahash

"I think you and I are looking at two different people.  All I see is a beautiful, unique young girl who is scared." he felt her body tense up under his touch.  He smiled to himself when she relaxed a little.  He set about thinking of a plan b.  He hoped things would blow over and they could go back about their business but just in case he wants to have a contingency plan.

SilverShadow

Xanti felt her cheeks warm at his compliment. "Uh-h, th-thanks..." she stammered, unsure what to say. Nobody in her life had ever called her beautiful before. Then she roughly jerked herself back to familiar ground. Survival. She knew nothing about compliments and niceties, but survival was something she knew well.

"Any plan we make depends on knowing how much they know," she pointed out thoughtfully. "Although I don't understand why you don't just leave me here and return to wherever you were going. It would be much safer for you." The confusion in her eyes was apparent.

nahash

It pained Soules to she Xanti be so defensive when he was only trying to help but he knew were it came from. He could not blame her for not being very trusting.  "I do what I feel is right not what I feel is safe.  If I wanted safe I would not be a soldier.  I think the best course of action would be for you to lie low here for a few days.  I'll go about my normal business and keep a ear open.  If the coast is clear you can come out of hiding if not we might have to get you out of the city."

SilverShadow

He had a good point, she realized. The life of a soldier wasn't exactly a safe choice. This realization helped her to trust him a little more. Anyone who would choose the life of a soldier wouldn't turn on her to save his own skin, right? She wasn't sure if that was true, but she chose to believe it for now anyway.

"I can do that. I'm good at lying low." She nodded in response to his plan. It sounded like a good plan to her.

nahash

Soules looked out through one of the stain glass windows.  Time had gotten away from him in all for the excitement and the shadows were already getting  long which meant it was already late afternoon.  "Do you want to say here, I could arrange for an empty chamber in the monks living quarters or do you have a safe house somewhere that you would like to use. "  He was glad that she was starting to trust him.  It was a much easier to protect someone when they trusted you.