Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than Ships Will Sink [Connlaothian Civil War Mini-Event]

Started by visualspice, April 03, 2015, 09:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Sooooooo,
I had an idea to base off the tragedy of the real world Titanic Tragedy that happened in the early 1900s. What if something similar happened in Connlaoth? Or rather, to a Connlaothian vessel.
During year nine or ten of the civil war, I was thinking either the duchy of Hellvion or Allar would announce an 'unsinkable' massive vessel that could be used for opulent sailing as well as trade. However, true to the Titanic tragedy, this vessel will, during some unfortunate or preplotted scenario- sink.

Interested? I'm thinking of having it happen in the colder waters near Hyoite as well, to add more drama to the fact the ship is sinking in waters that would be hard to survive. Of course, the ship would not be anywhere near as LARGE as the Titanic, but I think adapting something like that to fit into the world of SotE could be a lot of fun! Let me know your thoughts on this for those who are interested and we can still making this thing 'sink' >D
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

visualspice

Some ideas could be:
They boat sails too close to 'cursed waters' and sinks in said cursed waters (@Rhi-Rhi - is the Fell land locked?)
Ice burg?(lool that might be TOO Titanic)
MAGE ATTACK!?
POOR CONSTRUCTION that the hull can't handle what it was designed for?

Let me know your thoughts!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

visualspice

or another idea could be PIRATES.

*waits for it*

MAGICAL pirates.
Or something.

Or CURSED pirates, but yeah, gimme your ideas 8D

kleineklementine

How would it relate to the war, per se?

But WHAT IF the boat was attacked by some sort of giant, magical sea monster. And the only person who can save any of the poor, drowning people is a hermit sea mage that lives in that part of the ocean?

Cambie

Or what if the boat capsizes, but the handsome prince is saved by a mermaid who subsequently falls in love with him? She can sell her beautiful voice to a sea witch in exchange for human legs, and then try to win over his heart in three days.

Just kidding, I do like Kleine's idea about a sea monster though.

visualspice

omg, yes, SEA MONSTER.
Well, I was thinking if it were the duchy of Hellvion, they would try to build such a vessel to out do the Duchy of Allar as far as 'sea power'. Hellvion will be withdrawing from the war, and the funds could go into said vessel.

It would be cool if the hero was a mage, like the person who ends up rescuing what's left of the ship and when he/ she returns to Connlaoth, there could be an army waiting to take them to jail?
Or somethin'

visualspice

might be sad/ terrible if my King of Thieves character were the hero cause he's kinda going through like the WORST things EVAR in his life about now. Could be trying to use the vessel to get his son to safety, or some such. And then bam, finds himself battling the thing wtih other mages. Would be an interesting end to the King of Thieves, but if anyone else has an idea for their character on this, lemme know!

Dekka's profile is found here:  http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=13837.msg117335#msg117335

kleineklementine

Quote from: visualspice on April 03, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
might be sad/ terrible if my King of Thieves character were the hero

Dekka's profile is found here:  http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=13837.msg117335#msg117335

I'm curious how a fire mage would stop a ship from sinking? XD

visualspice

lol I meant he could help kill the monster.

>_> the ships going to sink regardless so...
DOWN WITH THE STINKY SHIP D<

kleineklementine

Quote from: Cambie on April 03, 2015, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: kleineklementine on April 03, 2015, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: visualspice on April 03, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
might be sad/ terrible if my King of Thieves character were the hero

I'm curious how a fire mage would stop a ship from sinking? XD

By evaporating the water. Duh!

Obviously. Duh. I'm such an idiot.

visualspice

IcarusDescension

I have not been involved in any civil war events thus far and am not very knowledgeable of what has happened thus far or even the political scene as it currently stands between the relevant duchies. So it may not be appropriate for me to be expressing interest here, but I thought I might 'test the waters' so to speak... (Get it... Test the waters... You know, because they're on a ship and...)

-AHEM. Anyhow so I thought I'd run an idea by you. Do you think it would be interesting to have a spy on board perhaps from Allar or another rival? If you like the idea I think I would enjoy playing such a character.

Maybe the spy character could be one of a group that was originally sent to commandeer the unsinkable ship but something went wrong and the poor sap finds they're the only one of the group that made it on board. Or maybe they all make in on board and do try to steal the ship, only to have the thing sink before their attempt could be completed anyway. I don't know, just bouncing ideas around.

visualspice

@IcarusDescension an idea like that can work! However, Hellvion is no longer participating in the war, just remaining 'at peace' and more or less will not support any war efforts, be it in battle, supplying soldiers, or money. The soldiers they DO have, during this time in the war's story, will be used to simply protect the Hellvion Duchy, and nothing more.  So more or less this duchy is giving the Grand Duke the cold soldier since their castle had been attacked and the ruling Duchess and Duke are not pleased!

I was also playing around with the current Duke dying and the Duchess takes over, proclaiming herself as the supreme ruler, despite the laws stating men rule the duchies. I think that, in itself, could be an interesting twist as well, as I role play the Duchess of Hellvion so I can easily pull her strings in this effect.

Anywho, going off on Icarus's idea! The mages are still fighting against the government in hopes to get the upper hand. And knowing the Grand Duke is weak having no more unanimous support between the duchies to back him, it IS possible a group pf rebels might eye the ship and still be pissed at the duchy of Hellvion for wasting the money on such a thing.

They could plan to use it for their own case (like take it apart and sell it for money, or just simply sell the ship outright!), or they could just be angry enough to want to sink it, letting the Duchy of Hellvion know that despite having with drawn from the war, their ignorance will not protect them!

Or some such!

Just an idea!

Thoughts?

visualspice

I'm going to add a list of my proposed characters I might toss into this mini-event :)
Just for reference~

Duchess Melora- would be the current ruler of Hellvion, despite being a woman, and is the one to help usher in orders for Hellvion to close it's doors from the rest of Connlaoth until the country finds itself at peace once more.

Opus Dey- I might be able to finagle a way to get this world wide criminal to be present in order to make some business propositions or desire to make some more connections. A pirate in his own right, he would also be interested in seeing this new 'super ship' in action.

@Cambie
It's possible for maybe Kella Harmond and Aryn to get on this ship. Kella might see it as a means to get out of the country, so to speak, as I have no real plans for her direction after our current thread lol

And I have some other ideas, but not sure how/ if they'd fit, so I'd only make my final decision and plotting closer to the event start~

Some other characters who could join might be: Winifred, Leif, Jinai, Aella, Dekka...
But we shall see! Their profiles are listed in my signature below~ for those interested in looking their information up!

Cambie

Quote from: visualspice on April 07, 2015, 01:35:37 PM

@Cambie
It's possible for maybe Kella Harmond and Aryn to get on this ship. Kella might see it as a means to get out of the country, so to speak, as I have no real plans for her direction after our current thread lol

We could do that, I also don't have any plans for after our thread. It's also very appropriate for them to get out of trouble just to get back into trouble. Kella's such a bad luck charm D<

IcarusDescension

Hmm, now that would be an interesting way to go with it. Perhaps as you mentioned not a spy but a saboteur, sent on board to sink the ship and then escape. It would be an interesting irony if their plot was foiled but then the sea monster came and sunk the ship anyway, ruining their escape plan in the process and condemning them to apparent certain death with the rest of the crew.

Or perhaps it was a suicide mission from the start, but at some point during the mission the saboteur decides they can't go through with it and wants to go on living with a clean conscience. THEN the sea monster attacks... I like this idea especially.

visualspice

visualspice

I just realized the ship will need a name o.o

Any suggestions?

Cambie

The Heart of Allar.

That way, when the ship is really damaged and ready to sink, and all the passengers are scared, the captain can stand up and resolutely say...

"MY HEART WILL GO ON."

I'll show myself the door.