Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who Dropped the Eggs?

Started by visualspice, April 14, 2015, 08:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags to @Ethereal-Star !

He heard it through the grape vine, and saw it first hand when Elsa Dasmay came in, literally showing off her flaring gold ring. It was bright enough to light up the whole room. Intrigued, the merchant lord Oska Inawa followed her entourage around as discretely as he could, and once he found the information he was looking for, disappeared from her sight, much to Elsa's dismay. She had, after all, considered Oska most handsome and everyone knew he was unmarried. But he had a reputation as well for being a bit 'aloof', which most accounted for why he had not wed at his age.

But Lord Inawa hardly cared. He had other plans, and he wasn't about to share them with anyone. This 'lighting' ability could be the next big thing, and make him and his empire of associates some of the wealthiest in Serendipity. After all, most places still used candles and chandelier's to light up a place. And enchantments could only last so long. But what if he could contact this enchanted jeweler to create for him magical, hanging crystals that lit up and went out by one's command? And were independently enchanted of one another, but also linked together?

He had seen few like this in other manors before, but all held their own inconveniences. So once this idea struck him, he decided to run with it, desiring to perfect the lighted enchanted crystal idea. After all, if this worked out, this jeweler, a certain Gileth Fireborn, could prove to be a fruitful associate.

So it was business that brought him to Featherfall. But business is normally what dictated his presence anywhere. And despite the sunny day, it was rather chilly, so he dressed appropriately, wearing a sleek, deep blue jerkin that had a tie up collar that now was secured all the way up past his chin, almost to his lips. And he looked somewhat like a turtle in hiding, his tall frame hunched over slightly as he made his way through the market, ever searching for this shop.

Turning the corner, he found himself frowning as he reached a district that appeared to house a lot of peasants who worked over their shops. He hesitated. Perhaps there was another way to get to this shop. He didn't want to step in something, or somehow get a disease by stepping through these streets. After all, they had their laundry strung over head, and people were dumping piss buckets out the window. He could have puked. And who would pay for his expelled, lost lunch?

Yes, this road was definitely too lowly for him, and the stench, most foul. Reaching into his breast pocket, he pulled out a silk kerchief and held it over his mouth, so as not to breath in the diseased air. But upon turning around, the screams of an angered woman over head drew his attention, and he noticed, but briefly, a couple fighting on a balcony over head. But in that split second it took for him to check out the noise, something came falling down and with an unpleasant series of cracks and splats, an entire basket of eggs fell onto his head, and he soon had egg yolks running down his brand new, blue and black silk jerkin and tunic. And with a furious cry, he yanked off the basket from his head.

"HEY!" he barked, an accusing finger pointed towards the angered coupled, who gasped at the sight of the man covered in their eggs. "This suit was hand sewn from an authentic, Essyrni weaver! The seamstress made all of these embroideries by hand from a golden sheep's fleece and rare, Anaba spider silk! The embroidery alone probably cost more than this entire street of houses. How are you goign to pay to get this clean and the damages done to it, huh? Did you ever think of those consequences before dropping your basket of eggs on my head?"

And the couple only stared at him, completely in awe at what just came spewing from his mouth. And they had to wonder, was he for real?

"Just keep on walking if you don't want another basket of eggs to fall on your head!" the angered man spat back. His wife, the one who was equally angry with him, went on to scold him and with a sigh, Oska made his way up the stair case behind them. When the arguing couple finally turned around to finally acknowledge he was there, they both drew back in surprise.

"Now that I have your attention, I'm going to ask you again. Do I need to show you the seamstress's tag? To show you this is vintage Armani Sewn? Do you even realize how much that is worth? I demand to know how you aim to pay for this."

And the man only stared at Oska incredulously before turning around and picking up pitcher of milk, and proceeded to let it simply spill all over Oska's egg caked shoes. And all Oska could do was stare.

"HEY! ARE YOU CRAZY!? THOSE SHOES ARE WORTH EVEN MORE THAN MY SHIRT! DO YOU INTEND TO PAY FOR THAT TOO?" Oska barked. But the man simply walked away, and while Oska continued, undaunted in his plight to ensure he made the man pay for every ounce of his soiling of his attire, he soon found the man slamming the door shut in his face, after pulling his wife securely inside. The wife gave the man a partial look of 'you probably had this coming' before the door closed in his face.

"HEY!" Oska growled, and went about beating on the door. "This is most unprofessional! Come out here so we can assess the damages. My time alone is worth three gold each minute that passes! How do you, in your peasant house on this dirty, peasant street, think you can afford all of that? I doubt you could even afford those damages and for the cleaning that is needed to fix these shoes you soiled on purpose!" And he kept pounding on the door, making quite the scene that gathered a crowd down below.

"HEY! HEY!" And soon just about everyone was drawn out of their houses and shops to watch the man make his scene.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Gileth was in her shop a couple blocks down, going through a file cabinet behind her desk in the front room. Looking at a receipt from the day before, she noted the amount it sold for again just to double-check something and nodded her head pleased with her calculations. The item she had sold then was to a higher noble who definitely lived the classy life. The middle-aged woman with bright red hair wanted something that contrasted with her crimson tresses and had bought a suitable necklace, a green crystal drop necklace, an emerald no less, which hung on a silver chain. The emerald itself was wrapped in a white silken cord made from spider silk that went beautifully with the green of the jewel it held. The cord almost seemed to shimmer when the light caught it in just the right way. While the price was a lot, it was nothing the woman couldn't afford.

And so she left the shop, several gold coins lighter from her purse, wearing an extravagant piece of jewelry that did indeed bring out the color of not only her hair but her eyes as well, almost the same vibrant green as the emerald she so desired. Gileth had simply counted up the money before she left and wished her a good day, pleased with yet another successful purchase. Business had been a bit slow today, only two people had come in thus far and only one of them actually bought something. Granted it was only a couple glass beaded bracelets, but it was something at least.

Organizing the files in the cabinet into a neat orderly fashion, Gileth closed the door and walked to the back room of the shop where her assistant was. Amela was currently going through a recent shipment of jewelry pieces and bits of metal that had been procured some days back which needed to be completely sorted through. As the blonde woman held up a piece of square tin with a flower engraved upon it, Gileth got her attention then. "How's the sorting going?" she asked amiably, looking at the large box the woman was going through, several pieces already laid out in several different piles.

Amela looked up then, smiling as her boss approached. "Oh, it's going good. Slowly, but it's going." She sighed, but smiled. "There's just an awful lot here. I may not be able to finish it all today, Gileth."

Gileth nodded and gazed at the piece of tin the other lady held. "That's alright, Amela. Just do what you can." And she left the woman to finish her sorting while the star elf in turn went back to the front room and began wiping off the desk from fingerprints and dust with a soft cloth. Going over to a small rack which held a few pieces of jewelry and accessories, she examined a purple beaded necklace briefly before letting go of it. She had crafted that piece some years ago, and while several people had shown interest in it, none had wanted to actually buy it. It was no matter. There was plenty of stock in her inventory to keep track of and sell as it were. The star elf would craft a few more pieces after she closed the shop to the public and then after that she would head home after locking everything up securely. Amela has been a great help so far, and it was a mutual arrangement for the both of them for the other woman to work here, helping out as an assistant.

While the front room held all the jewelry for sale, the back room doubled as both a storage/inspection room and a crafting room. There were three tables back there in which to work on to make jewelry and other little accessories, things like arm bands and hair extensions for instance. Gileth however did not sell bracers, helmets or anything of that sort, she was a jeweler not a smithy. Those wanting some magical protection however could find what they were looking for possibly, as she did have a small selection of that but it wasn't in plain view like all the other items were.

She was about to arrange some stands and dummies, when Gileth heard the rather loud sounds of a commotion outside. It sounded like someone was shouting and banging on a door, causing quite the racket! So she poked her head outside to see what was going on, Amela following suit. "What's going on out there?" she asked worriedly. She too, looked outside to see what was going on.

Gileth's eyes could make out a man with short black hair wearing what looked to be fine clothes, however it was hard to tell for sure because of what looked to be bits of egg all over his finely crafted suit. Not to mention his hair as well. He was yelling and banging on a door upstairs which undoubtedly led to one of the commoners' homes. Gileth frowned at this but for the moment did not leave her shop, only staring at the obscene spectacle he was making. Others stood looking out with incredulous expressions on their faces, some pointing, others shaking their heads, while even a few were chuckling at the scene. It was rather ridiculous, she had to admit.

The banging continued on for some time though. Gileth decided not to intervene, she had work to do after all, and she wasn't about to handle someone's problems for them. That was up to them. Gileth stayed out of such matters whenever she could. However the banging didn't cease and the door couldn't drown it out either.

Gileth sighed while Amela frowned. "Someone needs to do something about this. He's making far too much noise." Gileth fully agreed. She could only hope the man would stop and leave soon, as she could hear others complaining about the racket from outside as well. One commoner even shouted obscenities at him and to add further insult to more insult, he threw a rotten pear at the shouting man, but it missed hitting the railing instead, getting rotten juice all over and spraying it in the process too. Of course, neither Gileth nor Amela saw this behind the closed door, but the shouting was readily apparent.

Getting up again, the jeweler walked outside, telling Amela to stay put and watch the shop. Amela did so while Gileth walked a ways to where the man was still screaming and yelling, fists banging up a storm on the door to one of the homes. Crossing her arms, she watched him and simply waited, hoping he would take notice of her and stop this madness.

visualspice

Naturally, Oska Inawa was so wrapped up in his pursuit for compensation that he hadn't noticed anyone approach, and continued to bang on the door.

"Open up this instance! You can't just ignore me! Do you even know who I am?"

Angered, the man opened up a window and through a turnip at him.
"Get the hell away from my shop before I call the guards!"

Oska barely dodged the turnip, part of it grazing off his arm.

"Hey!" he barked. "Go ahead and call the guards! It would save me the trouble of having them arrest you!"

And at that, the man's wife through a cabbage at Oska, which exploded against his hip.

"HEY!!!!!!!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Gray eyes stared at the scene calmly, just watching, arms folded across her chest, a yellow-golden eyebrow raised. Hopefully he would turn around soon and stop this nonsense. Gileth had no desire to stick around for much longer as she needed to get back to work.

After another minute, she called out to him. "Is all this racket necessary? I dare say you are making quite the fool of yourself." The star elf kept an eyebrow raised in disdain.

visualspice

Oska turned towards the woman, his eyes wild.
"I'm the fool? These people owe me for soiling my clothes! I'm just ensuring their payment. Now step aside." And he brushed passed her to move over towards the window, when another head of cabbage hit his face when he got too near.

"Hey!" And he tried to grab for the window but the shop keep's wife was too fast, and suddenly the window came down,pinching his fingers and the man was howling in pain.

Ethereal-Star

"Normally I would be minding my own business. However since you are clearly disrupting my work, I have no choice but to intervene." Gileth watched the cabbage scene unfold before shaking her head.

"I don't think you're going to get the response you want from those people. Not with the way you're carrying on here. Why don't you just let it go?" Gileth doubted that the egg-caked man would listen to her but there was nothing for it than to try. Perhaps he would eventually give up his crazy pursuit of demanding money from people who likely couldn't afford to do such anyway.

There were still people out on the streets watching this whole mess and pointing fingers at the loud obnoxious man. No doubt also hoping that he would cease his theatrics. Gileth at that moment wanted nothing more than to head back to her shop and continue her work as usual, but for now it seemed that wasn't going to be the case. If he didn't stop, Gileth might be forced to call the guards. And she really didn't want to do that.

visualspice

"Let it go?" He turned to the woman, surprised at her and that suggestion. "I take it you're not familiar with how business works. And about status since you must be poor to live and work in a place as this. I am worth a lot of money, and I traveled to this area on a business venture that you probably wouldn't understand. Where you probably sell simple goods, I sell a lot of them. And what that means is that I make a lot of money. It's what I'm good at, so I can afford not to have to deal with things like this. But when I'm wronged I intend to have things righted. If these people, as you suggested, can not pay, they shouldn't have been throwing eggs and cabbage. To me, that's a sign.they have enough to make their amends in installments.. plus interest. It's either that or I have the guards called in on them for stealing and causing a public nuisance. Now, go back to your shop. This is none of your concern."

And he returned back.to.his banging and demands.

Ethereal-Star

Arms still folded over her chest, the jeweler told him in a no nonsense manner. "If you're going to do something productive, then I would suggest calling the guards now. Perhaps they can help you with your problem instead of you harassing the citizens here." She turned to leave as she really needed to get back to her shop but said over her shoulder, "And I think you'd be surprised at what I do for a living."

With that, she began to head back to her shop, where Amela her assistant was waiting.

visualspice

It had taken some time for the whole ordeal to get settled, and by no small means of persuasion, the ones who dropped the eggs were fined and demanded in the fine to make payments to amend for the situation. Those who had witnessed this were appalled, and began to disperse as they whispered through the streets, not believing a lick!

And one such person stepped into Gileth's establishment all frazzled. In fact, she was so frazzled she only realized once she was inside, she stepped into the wrong shop! Apologizing, the woman informed the shop keep in a flustered voice, "Goodness me, I am sorry. I thought this was Arman's Bakery." The old lady shook her head. "I'm all shaken up from what happened. Do you see that crazy man? The shop upstairs ruined his clothign wtih their wares and in the end, after he made such a commotion, they had to pay his demands! I dare say the poor couple will be bankrupt by month's end!"

Ethereal-Star

Gileth was organizing some papers on her desk when the old lady came in, apologizing about stepping into the wrong shop. Looking up from her desk, the star elf smiled and said, "Not a problem, missus.''

She listened to the woman's words about the crazy man from a few hours ago, and could really only shake her head at the whole affair. Gileth wasn't one to get involved in such conflicts anyway as it was not only none of her business, but she found little interest in interfering in such matters as it was. She couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the poor couple. Having spoken to them on a few occasions, she was aware that they were not all that well-off to begin with, but they tried their best to make ends meet. Now, it seemed they would have some financial issues due to the demands of the man who had been harassing them, a merchant of some kind from what Gileth had heard him say to her in his frenzied attempts to get the couple to pay for the damages.

"Yes, it is sad the lengths some people will go to." The woman fully agreed, once more exclaiming about the injustice of it all and crazy nobles before she made her way out the door, the bell above the door jingling as she closed it behind her.

Gileth sighed and looked behind her toward the back room. Her assistant was still back there sorting through all the materials that had arrived this morning. It seemed she had made some progress, although it had been slow-going due to the commotion from before. Gileth couldn't blame her one bit as the man had been rather loud, making it difficult to concentrate on one's tasks. The jeweler got up then and began her routine dusting of the shop's interior, so that everything was clean and shiny. The star elf hoped that business would pick up again soon. From the amount of daylight left, it was probably around four or five in the afternoon.

Gileth continued her dusting, trying to get to a hard-to-reach corner to dust that off too, the barest hint of dust collecting there. Overall the day was pretty nice, the shop interior cool and comfy. Finished with that one corner, she made her way over to the lone window in the front and began dusting off the windowsill, pushing back the light blue curtains as she did so.

((Edited my post so it is still the same day.))

visualspice

OOC: Not sure I misread this but when the old woman entered it's supposed to be the same day that Oska made a spectacle of himself XD

Once everything was taken care of, it was time to get back to business. And despite the situation from earlier, he appeared as cool as a cucumber, and continued to make his way through the streets again. Thankfully, it hadn't taken him long to find the shop in question, and when he stepped inside and the bell chimed, he didn't notice anyone attending the front desk.

"Hello? Is this the shop known for enchanting jewelry?" Oska called out from behind the counter, leaning over it some to see if he couldn't tell where the shuffling noises were coming from. At least it sounded like someone was home- and they had to be open- THeir sign indicated as such and the door was unlocked.

"Hello? Is there anyone working here?"

Ethereal-Star

At the sound of the door opening and the voice calling out, Gileth stood up from where she was dusting off a corner near the window, having finished cleaning the windowsill of wayward dust particles. Seeing the same man from before after his little spectacle in the streets, she was a little surprised, but kept her expression as neutral as possible while greeting him.

"Yes, the shop is open. What can I do for you today, sir?"

Gileth noticed that his clothes had been changed which came as no surprise there, wearing some fine nobleman clothing of rich, elegant designs. He clearly was upper class and prided himself on showing it off to others. That's what the star elf could discern anyway from looking at him. His hair had also been cleaned of any remaining egg and other food, now it shined a nice glossy sheen. The jeweler continued to busy herself with her chores while she waited for the man to speak.

visualspice

Oska was taken back, the confusion clear in his eyes.
"Where is the owner of this shop?" Clearly this woman had to work for them and couldn't be the owner.

Ethereal-Star

Gileth saw the confusion evident in his eyes but did not comment on what he must be thinking. "I am the owner of this shop." she said, with a courteous smile on her violet-tinged features.

"How may I help you this fine day, good sir?" she repeated again.

visualspice

Taken aback, he did a double take and eyed the woman up.
"You?" he asked, his disbelief evident in voice and on the features of his face. "But how? How can it be you? Surely there is someone else here who is the actual honor. Like your husband, or father... brother?"
Or someone just not... her.

Ethereal-Star

Keeping her calm expression, the star elf simply nodded and said, "Yes, I am the owner here. Why is that so surprising? I do have an assistant who helps me out but overall I am the one in charge here. Now, can I help you with something? I have many fine selections of jewelry and accessories to peruse through, all you need do is ask if you have a question."

Gileth eyed him for just a second longer before going over to her desk and taking a seat there. Folding her hands over top of one another, she simply waited for him to get over his shock.

visualspice

Seeing her calm demeanor, he blinked and tried to reign his own in. But he still felt flustered as he sighed and decided to proceed with asking, "So you're the one who sells enchanted... items that illuminate?"

Ethereal-Star

"Some of my stock is of the magical variety, yes, but I do not specialize solely in that endeavor. If you are interested in a few pieces that possess a light effect, I can show you what I have."

The star elf remembered her goal of crafting a few more items of jewelry before going home for the evening, and at least one of those would also be enchanted, granted by her 'touch of starlight' ability that all her kind innately had. While this ability could work in two distinct ways, a temporary light versus a permanent light, for the purposes of her business, Gileth utilized the latter. So instead of it going out after a six hour duration, the light would remain in effect for a much longer time.

The metal Glimmerithium used in some of her collection further enhanced the results, being as the metal was of such a fine, translucent appearance, reminiscent of tiny bits of starlight itself. But of course, only the very rich and well-off could afford such. Looking at the man before her, Gileth surmised he would have no issue with the cost required to obtain some of it.

visualspice

Oska just nodded.
"Yes. I want to see any pieces that are enchanted in that way."

Ethereal-Star

"Very well." Gileth proceeded to get out the locked box underneath her desk which contained her magical stock.

Bringing it out and opening it with a key she took out from her desk, she showed him what she had in the way of illuminated jewelry. Lifting out a strand of glittering white crystals which sparkled and shone with a gorgeous white light from each one, she told him more about it. ''This here is called the 'Necklace of Light'. It is made completely of white diamonds strung on a silvery silken cord, both of which were brought in from Whitesands. I then imbued the necklace after it was made with the enchantment you see in front of you. The price for it comes to 3,000 gold suns."

Next up was a quartz bracelet. "The quartz stones here are of the milky quartz variety, strung on the same silvery silken cord as the necklace. The stones themselves came from Darken Vei. The price for that one is 15 silver moons."

Lastly, was a gold ring with a yellow topaz gem situated on top. "This ring consists of a yellow topaz on the top, one half carat. The topaz was imported from across the sea, the gold mined in the province of Tirial. The price comes to 750 gold suns."

Gileth brought all these out, putting the rest of her magical inventory away for the time being and let the man peruse the displayed items. "If none of these are to your satisfaction, I will have at least a couple more pieces available by the end of the week. You may also make a custom request if you wish."