Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Teacher's Lounge [Open to Wyrdwood Professors]

Started by DragonSong, March 05, 2018, 07:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Whim @SilverDragonsBlood @Eckhart_Von_Musel @emeraldknight

The High Table was all well and good, but sometimes Idara just needed to get away from her students. Not that she wasn't grateful for their attention, and honestly she welcomed their questions and conversation.

But sometimes she just needed a little bit of time to herself. Or, just about to herself. The parlor that was off-limits to students (often called "Professors' Parlor", if some of her sillier students were to be believed) typically wasn't very busy, but of course sometimes the other teachers would bustle in and out.

For the moment though, she was alone, which was perfect. With a soft sigh, Idara let herself drape over the green chaise beneath the window and snatched up a book from the small table beside it.

Ah, a field guide. Probably written by one of the older professors who'd either founded the school or just about. With a small smile, she settled in to read.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Where did I leave it? Oh, this is such a bother..."

Maggie Fen-Breath walked purposefully into the parlor, yellow eyes narrowed. She had spent the entirety of last night carving a Jack-o-lantern for her third-year class, but earlier today she had set it down... somewhere, and now she couldn't find it. "This is the worst!" the hag muttered under her breath as her eyes quickly scanned the room. "I already had five lessons planned for-"

Maggie abruptly stopped as she caught glimpse of the elven woman reading on the fainting couch. She opened her mouth to say something, then faltered. "Was I talking to myself just then?" she thought, cheeks flushing a sickly orange color. "She wasn't listening, was she? Oh, this is really embarrassing..."

Maggie had never spoken to this particular professor before, but if she remembered correctly she was a water mage. Swallowing nervously, the hag spoke up. "Excuse me? You haven't seen a pumpkin laying around, have you? My class starts in an hour, I won't be able to teach the animation hex without it..."

Celegwen

"Animation hex?" Came a strong voice. Rick Swantra wandered into the lounge, catching sight of two other professors. He looked at the book the elven woman was reading, then to the hag. He remembered seeing them both around the school, but he didn't recall actually interacting with either of them directly.

Resting his left hand on the pommel of his sword, Rick walked over and took an apple from a basket on the table. He rubbed it against his shirt, then stuck it into his pocket to use as target practice later.

He pulled a tall stool in front of one of the chairs. Sitting in the chair, Rick propped his feet up on the stool and interlocked his fingers behind his head, so he could face the two women. "Come on, honey," he said to the hag. "Gotta animate something cooler than a pumpkin to keep kids interested!"

Rick had time to kill before his next class, and he wasn't completely paying attention to the conversation that he had interrupted. He drew his sword, balancing it on his index finger perfectly to occupy his mind.

DragonSong

Was a little peace and quiet really so much to ask for?

With a soft sigh- Breathe, Idara, just be polite- the moon elf marked her place with a finger and lowered the book. "I'm sorry, Maggie, I haven't seen the pumpkin," she said with a regretful smile, then added with a nod in the other professor's direction, "He may have a point though- if you can't find it, perhaps use one of the books lying around?"

The suggestion was casual; she really didn't know all that much about animation hexes. Though she was knew to Wyrdwood, so she didn't really expect the other professor to take her advice- if either of them even knew who she was.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Maggie looked at Rick, then at the elf. She sighed. "No no no, I can't do that." she said, shaking her head. "It needs to have a face! That's why I'm using the jack-o-lantern, I'm going to make it sing against it's will." The hag crossed her spindly arms, thinking. "I suppose I could use a piece of paper with a face on it like my students will be, but that wouldn't be as memorable. Pumpkins are just... spookier."

Celegwen

"Should take them on a little trip," Rick started. "Animate a statue or something. They might be to year one kids, but pumpkins aren't that spooky when you get older."

He sheathed the sword and huffed. If the hag wanted spooky, why was she making a pumpkin sing? That wasn't spooky... Rick thought making a statue come to life and try to attack would be a lot spookier than a pumpkin singing.

He smirked. "Maybe when you're done with the pumpkin, you can give it to me for my kids to use as target practice." He took the apple out of his pocket and tossed it in the air, catching it again. "I'm Rick, by the way. I teach the cool weapons stuff. Who're you gals?"

DragonSong

"Idara," the elven woman replied, relaxing a little deeper into the chaise. "Cryomancer. Haven't been here all that long."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"It's Maggie." the hag said, mildly annoyed that her pumpkin crisis wasn't being taken seriously. "I'm the new Magistrix, I just started this semester." Maggie looked at both of them. "You're sure you haven't seen it?"

"Maybe it's in the library, I haven't looked there yet..."

Celegwen

Rick shrugged lightly, staring at the ceiling. "I don't know," he said. "I saw Keeler with a big bag earlier this morning. Said it was fruits and vegetables to feed the pegasus, unicorn, and... I don't know. Some other one. Something like...a vole."

"Yale, ya dipshit," a gruff voice spat from the doorway. Keeler Quevedos walked in with an empty basket. "It's called a yale, not a vole. Voles are rodents, and yales could kill ya."

"Sorry, right," Rick said, rolling his eyes.

Keeler peered at the arrogant man, then bowed his head to the women. "Ladies," he said. "Maggie, I didn't take your pumpkin." He disappeared without giving anyone a moment to respond.

DragonSong

"That's a good point," Idara commented blithely as Keeler disappeared. "Yales could kill you. Surprised he got permission to teach a lesson with them."

She sighed and gave up on getting back to her book. Seemed like things were gonna get busy. "What are you doing in here, exactly?" she asked Rick with a tilt of her head. "Maggie is looking for a pumpkin, what brings you in here?"

Celegwen

"Boredom," Rick said plainly. "I got time to kill between classes. If I spend more time using the weapons, I just might be able to beat the entire Connlaothian army, myself!"

He flashed a wink at the women. Of course it was sarcasm, but Rick did enjoy stroking his own ego.

The man rubbed his neck, as though the effort of the conversation was of a difficulty he didn't expect. "Besides, Keeler's got a fuckin' dragon and gods know what else out there that he uses for lessons. Don't surprise me the slightest he's also got a yale up his sleeve."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Maggie's face paled. "He... He's restricting the yale to the older students, right?" she asked worriedly. "And- and there are proper safety precations, right? Oh, there are so many things that could go wrong..."

Shaking her head, the hag reminded herself of why she came here. "Ah, sorry, I really need to find my jack-o-lantern..." Maggie said as she walked towards the door. "I only have forty-five minutes before class starts! It was very nice meeting you both!"

The magistrix walked out of the parlor, waving goodby as she did so. "Now, off to check the library..."

DragonSong

"Good luck, Maggie." Idara watched the other woman go. Hope she finds that thing. She seems really upset about it.

With a little shake of her head she put it from her mind and glanced longingly at the book she had abandoned. But it would be rude to keep reading with another professor still in the room.

"So, Rick. How much time exactly do you have before your next class?"

Celegwen

"Please," Rick mumbled. "Safety precautions. Keeler can control the thing, so it doesn't matter."

He was seemingly snapped back into the present moment by Idara speaking to him. Apparently, he'd zoned out for a second.

"Oh, uh, I don't know. Hour or so? What about you?"

"Hey!" A sharp voice came from the hallway. A beautiful woman with hard eyes walked into the room, dressed in mostly violet with a matching cape. "Either of you know where Neo is?"

DragonSong

Oh good gracious. "Neo who?" Idara asked with a sigh, almost sounding defeated.

Celegwen

Rick stood up, a grin spreading on his lips as he took in the attractive woman. "No idea," he said, puffing out his chest. "Anything I can do for ya?"

Clarissa Wolff narrowed her dark eyes at him in annoyance. "Yes, there is," she said. "Tell me where Neo is." Rick's grin faded, knowing that he wasn't going to get anywhere with this one. Clarissa huffed, turning to the blue elf. "Neo... Oneila Sporen. She's the medic here. Blonde elf woman with a snake always around her shoulders. Whatever. If either of you see her, let her know I'm looking for her? Also, know where I can find Bren?"

"That I do," Rick said. "He's in my next class. Probably in his room."

The woman nodded once, looking to the elf. "I'm Clarissa, by the way. I run the Knights' Coven. Who are you? Are you new?"

DragonSong

Idara watched the exchange with a quirked eyebrow, then jerked slightly as the woman's attention turned to her.

"Ah, sort of." She shrugged, sitting up a little straighter. She just felt like she should, for some reason. "I've only been a fellow for a few months."

Celegwen

"Don't worry about her, Idara," Rick said casually. "Rissa's harmless. More bark, less bite."

The woman glared intensely at the weapons professor. "I would suggest you choose your words carefully when speaking to me, Swantra," she spat. "You should know more than any that I make good on my threats." She bowed to Idara and shot Rick another glare before walking off.

"Touchy, touchy," Rick mumbled, rolling his eyes.

DragonSong

Idara quirked an eye as she glanced sidelong at Rick. "You've known each other a while, I take it?" she guessed.

Honestly, as much as she wanted to simply read, this was probably more helpful. She was getting a good deal of information about the other professors, especially those she hadn't met yet, and how they all interacted with one another.

Celegwen

"No clue. We both went to school here, and we both teach here." Rick huffed. "Well, I teach here. She runs a military camp nearby. Known each other for a few years, probably longer."

He didn't care about Clarissa. He wanted to get into her tight pants, and she didn't want anything to do with him. That was the extent of their relationship.

Tags: