Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To See the World (closed)

Started by Pinfeathers, March 17, 2018, 07:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinfeathers

Faleene was packing her bags for yet another outing.  Except this one, this one was different.  This was going to be the outing that would start her next book: The Creatures of the World. She had been planning it for years - since she had started writing - it was going to be the first and greatest compendium ever written, covering all creatures, magical or not, in all of Le'ranna.  She would start in Serendipity - this would be the shortest part of her journey, as she had already written two manuals on the wildlife of her home-country.  Next would be Connlaoth, which she was also familiar with to an extent, following which she would venture to Essyrn, Adela, and Hyoite before traveling to the islands, Thanatos and Yoreiq. This, however, would be at least a few years away.   This was going to be her longest excursion yet. 

Perhaps with this publication, she could finally apply at Wyrdwood Academy for a position as a Professor of Biology.  But again, this was years in the future.  Faleene was just starting her journey today.

"Mrao?" her cat, Na'vi, hopped up onto the cluttered bed and nuzzled his head into her hand as she paused to think, and she smiled, stroking her friend's forehead with her thumb. 

"This'll be our longest adventure yet," she said softly to the feline, "are you ready for it?" Even having been on outing after studious outing, Faleene still got a rush of adrenaline thinking about being in the field.  Especially for this particular trip.  She was excited beyond her wildest dreams. 

A tinkling of bells alerted her to the opening of her front door.  "That'll be the Help," she explained to the siamese on her bed.  She had been putting up fliers all over town and had even been able to give a seminar at the city square about her planned outing.  She had gotten two written responses for takers who wanted to join her as "Lab Assistants", if you will, on this particular adventure.  She had written back telling them what to pack and when to meet at her home (or "base of operations", as she liked to call it), and left it at that.  Today she was meeting them both to make sure they were up to the task.

It was early in the morning, and sunlight streamed in through the windows at the front of Faleene's little house, leaving the figure in the doorway backlit.  The young woman squinted, lifting a casual hand in greeting.
"Morning," she said, doing her best not to sound too eager, "you must be..."

PixelatedGlory

A young woman with fair skin and black hair tied up in a ponytail, her eyes a piercing green, stands before Faleene. Her bag, neatly packed and probably smaller than expected, rested over her left shoulder.

She was clad in a somewhat makeshift set of leather armor that had been worn over time and a few portions had been replaced recently. Several knives were sheathed along her belt and at the sides of her chest. She had an aura of confidence and preparedness about her despite this early hour.

The woman wasn't dirty or unkempt, but it was evident that she was not one to fuss too much over her appearance. She smiled warmly at Faleene's greeting and extended her right arm, though  it was unclear whether she intended to shake hands or clasp arms.

Cera cleared her throat and replied, "Good morning, I am Cera Russad. I replied to your request for assistance. I know I'm not much of a researcher, but I can keep you safe and I am a quick study."

BryceTheDozy

For a second time the bells adorning the doorway chimed as the door frame was filled by a large figure, silhouetted by the outside light. The cloaked man had to stoop down a bit to enter, quietly shutting the door behind himself, standing a bit awkwardly as the bell likely drew attention.

He kept himself slightly slouched to appear somewhat smaller, looking at those already present, "I am to understand there is work here, yes? I would hope that I am not late." He spoke with a fairly thick accent that denoted him as someone not native to Connlaoth.

Despite the obvious size of the man it was hard to discern much from him, most of his features and equipment being hidden by a thick cloak lined with fur along the edges. The only visible features were a faded beard that poked out a few inches from the rim of the hood, and what appeared to be a light set of padded armor.

He made no move to give his name or even lower the hood, merely standing near the door waiting for a satisfactory answer.

Windsion

A leather shoe quickly nudged it's self in between the door and the framework stopping it at the split moment from closing. "Mister hulking bruteman, your not the only individual looking into the adventure of a life time!" Interjects a high pitched tone of pure excitement. Slowly the door nudges opened enough for a grey metatlic maschera Dello Speziale mask to pop in then followed by a thinly body dressed in long black robes.  Gripping a scrolled up flier in one hand, and a handle of rectangular beaten up wooden box in the other as grey eyes scan the home as best they can from behind the person in front and also a set of glass in the mask.

Pinfeathers

Faleene was a little overwhelmed by this sudden rush of people.
"Ah, I see you're all pretty punctual, then," Faleene said, seeming rather pleased with the lot of them.  Na'vi rubbed up against her leg, inspecting their new comrades with knowing, blue eyes.

"Right then," she stepped forward and took Cera's hand, starting a bit at how firm the other woman's grasp was.  "I do remember you, Cera was it?" She looked her new companion up and down, taking in her appearance and making note of the woman's plethora of knives.  At least she's prepared for survival, I suppose, Faleene thought to herself.  She found herself drawn to Cera's down-to-earth appearance, and a smile tickled the corners of her mouth.

She was quickly distracted from her thoughts by the large figure to take up her more Faleene-sized doorway, and she turned to him. "And this is Brun, I remember the two of you from my seminar.  Let me start by saying I'm very glad the two of you are here -" She held out her hand to the hulking man to shake his as well, when she noticed the other figure at the door. 

Faleene tilted her head slightly and stepped around Brun to open the door for her next guest.  "Ah, you know this isn't a vacation, yes?  It's a scientific expedition." With a determined creak of the door, the young woman opened it all the way to take in this new visitor.  "If you're aware of that, then tell me your name?"

PixelatedGlory

Cera glanced down and smiled at the cat before she happily took Faleene's hand and nodded, "Yes, i'm afraid I was a bit annoyed when you stole everyone's attention in the square but I don't fault you for it." Yup, she's definitely not got fighting hands.

As the others suddenly arrived, Cera shifted over to give the larger man more room to enter and turned to see who else would be joining them. If she noticed Faleene examining her appearance and equipment she didn't seem to be bothered by it.

She did quickly size up the man looming in the doorway. Definitely a soldier. Whatever this woman has planned at least we should be able to protect her. Though, was that a hint of an Adelan accent? It's been years since I last passed through there with the circus.

Her view of the final arrival was completely blocked and she yet again shifted, backing into the wall. "If any more show up, you might need a bigger house Miss ScathaĆ­n," she said with a good-natured laugh.

BryceTheDozy

A large hand came from the interior or the cloak, pushing it aside to reveal the gambison underneath along with a longsword with a rather fancy white pommel. He shook the hand with somewhat surprising care, his hand hard with calluses, "Yes, you remember well. I am glad to be of service however I may."

His attention was then grabbed by the new arrival, taking a few steps to the side as to not block the entrance, making no reply to the brute comment. Now properly inside and mostly introduce he dropped the hood, revealing his aged unkempt features.

Brun's now revealed green eyes caught Cera's, staring at her with what could almost be a scowl. The gaze continued even up to her joke, without so much as a chuckle from him.

Windsion

"Olivia Mixture Elixir or, simply Ome at your service." The masked visitor chuckles and lets go of the handle on the wooden box without warning. It thunks to the ground as the newly freed hand pulls off the beaked mask revealing a lean pale near pink skinned face that looks as smooth as a baby's bottom. Loose strains of scarlet coloured hair hang out from under the crumpled faded black tricorn hat as this young lady turns her head to the side and leans in for a good old fashion Connlaothian greeting. "Don't mind the apparel." She adds suddenly.

Pinfeathers

The young woman started a bit at the sudden, loud noise of the box hitting the floor, but was quickly composed.  Na'vi lowered his ears and stood a good ways away from the newcomers, his tail flicking back and forth as though passing judgements of its own about them all.  Faleene, well-versed in the cultures of Connlaoth and the lands whereabouts, leaned in herself, though still rather perplexed, and kissed the side of this new woman's face.  As she pulled away, she gave Ome another hasty up and down. 

"From what I understand," she said, turning to the rest of the group, "you folk are mercenaries of sorts." she nodded her head in the direction of Cera's assortment of knives - Brun's large stature spoke for itself.  "If not looking for guard work, you at least are interested in exploring Le'raana and learning more about the creatures about."  Faleene turned once again to Ome.  "But, my friend, what are you here for, if I may ask?  I can surely accommodate a fourth party member, but I wasn't anticipating you."

PixelatedGlory

Cera glared back at Brun as he scowled at her. She wasn't really all that impressed with the fancy longsword. It was a waste of good money to put so much decoration into a tool and she felt she was just as deadly with her small but sharp daggers. Then, as if making a sudden decision her face softened and she gave Brun a wink. Without any further action, she too turned to take in what she could of the newest arrival.

A bit abrupt and maybe a touch too excitable. Wild and unpredictable, but I think she would have fit in with the circus. I am curious about the wooden box though. "I don't mind the apparel myself, reminds me of some friends from my past," she said quietly.

Otherwise she remained quiet, not wanting to interrupt Faleene or the interestingly dressed newcomer.

BryceTheDozy

Brun merely nodded towards Faleene, content to wait quietly while she sorted out the current situation. As far as he was concerned, his reasoning for being here mattered very little as long as he did his job.

His eyes had not left Cera since first spotting her, seemingly taking some special interest in her. The wink had caught him a little off guard, managing to get him to break eyesight and turn his attention to the newcomer.

They were an odd one for sure, but nowadays he was finding most people were strange...

Windsion

After the greeting Ome straightens up her posture. She cocks a eyebrow and chortles at Faleene sizing her up. Her expression and mood died down as her gaze followed Faleene's. Her eyes briefly admired Cera and Brun from head to toe and more specifically their weaponry.  'Nice beautiful sword wish I.... Ooh but that dagger is Perfect! It would make things much sim...'

One eye subtly twitches as Ome snaps out of thought to register what is being said towards her. Without missing a beat to respond, "Change of occupations, resupply and this is the best opportunity to stretch my legs." She then chucks the mask still in hand over her shoulder and out the door with a smirk

Tags: