Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Not so Lonely Wilderness

Started by PixelatedGlory, March 23, 2018, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedGlory

Mert carefully watched as the strange white crow flapped its way back towards the blankets strewn across the floor. He hadn't believed Deli when she had sent the thought 'Fox is woman, is friend,' but then the fox had become a crow and now it had turned back into a woman.

Mert sat back down on his bed with a sigh and rubbed his temples with his fingers. He stared in Asta's direction but it seemed like he was more in thought than actually looking at her. "What you are, it's more than my head can make sense of right now. As I said Deli thinks you are safe and you don't seem to be threatening at the moment." He slid the knife back in the sheath and moved it back to where it had been stored before.

"I guess this explains why you were out there in the snow..." Mert was suddenly interrupted by chittering form Deli and he turned to look towards her. They weren't making sounds but it looked very much like they were having some form of conversation. After a few silent minutes passed, Mert looked back towards Asta. "I'm not going to throw you out in the cold. I'm tired and i'm going back to sleep. You should do the same. If you happen to uh change as you called it, do me a favor and be quiet about it?"

DragonSong

Asta's cheeks went very red and she nodded quickly. "I'm, uh, sorry about that. It's kinda...hard to think straight, or at least human-ish, I mean-"

She cut herself off and ducked her head, blushing deeper. "I'll just...go to sleep," she mumbled, crawling back under the pile of blankets. "Thanks for...not stabbing me an all."

PixelatedGlory

Mert's expression softened significantly, "Just, just should have told me beforehand. I don't want to hurt you but that was not a good way to wake up." He then laid back down in bed, pulling his blankets back up.

Before going to sleep however, he turned back to Asta, "Would you feel more comfortable if Deli spent the night over there with you? That way if you change again she can keep you from causing any problems." He then glanced down at Deli, "And don't think I don't know you were part of the mischief, little scamp."

Deli squeaked and hid her face in her paws, then turned to wait for Asta's response. Mert rolled back over before she could make her decision.

DragonSong

"Um, oh. Well... If she wants to." Asta smiled at the little creature and lifted up a corner of the blanket nest in brief invitation.

"Thank you, Mert," she murmured, glancing up at his back with another little smile. "Good night."

PixelatedGlory

Deli squeaked and dove for the corner of the blanket nest, quickly curling up to enjoy the warmth once she was under the blankets. Her head just barely poked out so she could breathe. After a few wiggles to get herself even further tucked in she was ready to go back to sleep.

Mert thought he heard Asta say something after he rolled over, but it wasn't quite loud enough to make out. He figured if it was really important for him to hear she'd have repeated it or Deli might have let him know to roll back over. Instead he drifted back off to sleep. His dreams were filled with an ever-changing assortment of white animals. Some friendly while others were less so. Now that he was sleeping on his side, there was no more snoring from Mert.

DragonSong

Asta passed the rest of the night relatively peacefully, curling her body around Deli's smaller form to conserve their warmth. Soon enough she'd buried herself in the blankets again, so tightly curled into the little nest that it was nearly impossible to tell if she was even there under all the fabric.

PixelatedGlory

Deli was in heaven. She was curled up safe and secure and she was very warm. She nestled in against Asta and allowed herself to become buried in the twisted nest of blankets right along with Asta.

If Mert was honest he would have admitted he missed having Deli curl up against him. That small warm bundle was something you might never miss until you experienced it once for yourself. He had been traveling with Deli for a long time.

Whether it was because of Deli's absence or the startling wake up in the middle of the night, Mert's wild dreams made him quietly toss and turn in his sleep. Eventually morning came and he grumbled his way out to take a leak outside. It was still snowing lightly but the wind had died down greatly.

When he came back into the tent, he set to work rekindling the fire so it would be warmer by the time Asta and Deli woke. He also pulled a strip of dried meat out of his bag to chew on.

DragonSong

The crackling of the fire woke her. Blessedly still human, Asta sat up in her tangled nest and yawned, stretching her arms over her head. She smiled when she realized Deli had stayed with her through the night and stroked her little head with two careful fingers.

"Morning," she murmured in Mert's direction, offering a small smile.

PixelatedGlory

Unbeknownst to Mert, when he had stirred and gone outside Deli had woken and heard him. She knew he wasn't really going to need her for that little task and it had been so nice and warm in the cocoon with Asta that she decided to just stay put and bask in the comfort.

Deli finally, and reluctantly, had poked her head out when Asta sat up and she gave out a tiny yawn of her own. Of course she curled right back up to Asta when she started petting her head. Breakfast could maybe wait just a bit longer.

"Mornin'. Glad the rest of your sleep was a little more quiet," he said in a gruff but friendly voice, "You drink coffee? There's some dried meat too, help yourself." he gestured to one of the bags that held the food supplies. Mert had left a pot of snow sitting over part of the fire to let it melt into water. As an afterthought he added, "Right, you'll need clothes. I'll step outside, just let Deli know when to tell me to come back in," he grumbled and moved a bundle of spare clothing closer to Asta before heading to step out of the tent into the cold.

DragonSong

"Ah-- thank you," Asta murmured, for what felt like the umpteenth time. She waited just long enough for him to turn his back before quickly scrambling into the offered clothes.

They were too big and smelled very much like Human Hunter, but at least they were a covering. She smiled at Deli and nodded. "I think he can come in now."

PixelatedGlory

While waiting Mert closed his eyes and raised his face up towards the sky, letting the light snow gather on his face and beard. What have I gotten myself into? He sighed and looked back down. There was still work to be done and Asta being... whatever she was... wasn't going to change that. The furs he hoped to bring back to town were even more important now that Asta was with them. Another mouth to feed and another person to cloth.

Deli had watched Mert go outside with a little bit of confusion. She wasn't sure why he was going back out into the cold for no reason, but she just chalked it up to one of his weird human things. She got to stay inside where it was warm. Deli might have tried to sneak over and steal some food while Mert was out but she had been given a task: 'Say when to come, watch for trouble'.

When Asta nodded and gave the ok Deli let Mert know he could come back. It was silent and looked like she just glanced towards the tent flap but his hands could be seen undoing the clasp shortly after. Mert stepped inside with his face dusted in snow and went back to the fire.

While waiting for the rest of the snow to melt Mert pulled out an old, battered coffeepot and set about arranging the coffee grounds in it. Coffee was a luxury that he couldn't afford to have every morning but he felt he both needed and deserved it that morning.

"Got traps to check after we eat. Up to you whether you help with that or make yourself useful in here." Enough of the snow had turned to water for him to fill the coffeepot and start it brewing over the rest of the fire. He rummaged around in one of the food bags and pulled out some dried meat for Asta and Deli. "Little tough to chew but it'll fill you."

DragonSong

"thank you." Asta took the offered food gratefully and tucked in like she hadn't eaten in days-- which wasn't strictly true, but near enough. She glanced up and tilted her head at Mert as she chewed.

"What do you hunt?" she asked curiously.

PixelatedGlory

Asta was eating like she hadn't been fed in a long time. Mert would definitely need to get more food supplies in town unless they were very successful with the traps. She looked pretty amusing in the oversized clothing, but Mert wasn't going to say anything.

As he sat back to wait for the coffee to finish brewing, filling the tent with its aroma, he chuckled, "Pretty much anything that is out in this snow. Hares are most common but some wolves or foxes too if they are about. Usually bring a bow for the dangerous ones or the occasional wild reindeer. Can't be too picky this time of year. The winter coats are usually good and thick though."

He realized that Asta might be bothered a little by him talking about killing animals, she had been a fox last night after all, but he was a straightforward man. Deli ate her food in relative silence and just watched the two of them talking.

DragonSong

Asta nodded slowly, considering. If she was offended, she didn't show it.

Finishing off the offered meat, she drew her legs up toward her chest and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin on her knees. "Okay. What can I do to help?" She tilted her head, pale eyes watching his face. "I can empty traps and such easy enough, but I'm really only a decent hunter as a wolf or a bear or something."

PixelatedGlory

When Asta didn't seem bothered too much by the talk of killing animals Mert was glad. It wouldn't have changed his actions- he still needed to live and make a living- but he might have had to word things carefully. Not something he was particularly good at.

He smiled at Asta when she finished the food. Something about her gave off the impression that she was excitable as an animal, and perhaps as unpredictable. This wasn't a bad thing, just different than he was used to dealing with in a person. Deli was... well Deli had been a part of Mert's life for a long time and he might have gotten used to her antics.

Mert returned Asta's gaze with a mostly plain expression. However behind his scruffy beard and hair his mouth had a faint smile and his eyes seemed relatively soft and friendly still.

"Up to you Asta. I'd not tell a hunter," he chuckled, "I mean huntress how to hunt. I need the furs undamaged. That's why I use the traps and not my fearsome partner there." He laughed and nodded at Deli. She bared her teeth and claws in a decent attempt at being scary but she hardly lost her usual cute charm. "Though maybe you would enjoy learning how we trap things so you can avoid them?"

DragonSong

"That could be useful," Asta agreed softly, tilting her head as she considered it. She shrugged. "Well, I'm in your debt for the food and shelter. However you want me to work, I'm glad to."

PixelatedGlory

There was no use going in circles with her. Things needed to be done and daylight was limited this time of year. "Right, then you keep me company and help check the traps. If you want to be an animal let me know so I can keep the clothes from getting left to get lost in the snow."

With the plan settled he poured two cups of coffee and placed one by Asta. Without even waiting to see if she drank it he began laying out his gear. He only had the one heavy coat but there were enough layers that neither of them would freeze. Especially if they kept active. The plan was to go down the trap line and be back to camp long before the sun set. Mert strapped his knife to his belt and lay a bow with arrows and several other tools and bags by the tent flap.

He had a spare pair of boots and gloves and things for Asta though they were a little worn and probably too big to fit comfortably. Much like everything else he had offered her. He rinsed the coffee pot out an set it to air dry before setting the fire down to just embers and making sure it was mostly covered. "Let's go Asta, Deli."

Mert stepped out of the tent and loaded up his bags and tools onto his shoulders. Deli scrambled up onto his neck and curled around it like a scarf with legs. The sledge was moved to open the way out of camp and Mert grabbed his trusty spear. It wasn't so much that Mert was in any real hurry, he just was a lot better at doing things than talking to people.

DragonSong

Asta nodded quickly and got to her feet to follow him. "Yes, sir," she said, chipper, with a small smile.

PixelatedGlory

Well at least she seems ready to work. A pair of extra hands will be nice for a change. Well, a pair of extra human hands. Sorry Deli.

Mert gestured for Asta to go past him out of the camp and then he put the sledge back down to block the entrance behind them. It would be unfortunate if some wandering animal snuck in and took advantage of the tent and supplies while they were gone.

The wind had died down and the snowfall was very light. Over all it was a beautiful day for that time of year and Mert was happy to be out and doing something rather than just talking. He seemed to have a very specific path he was following though there were few markers left after the snow and wind of the day before. After the camp was out of sight he slowed down so they would be quieter. "No need to spook anything we might find on the way," he said just above a whisper, "Pretty much anything with fur is fair game but let me handle it if you think you might damage the pelt too much."

The first several snare traps they came across had been buried in the shifting snow and had not caught anything at all. Mert didn't seem to be all that bothered by it. That was the nature of checking trap lines, most of them would be empty but with the large number set and his expertise in knowing where to place them he was bound to catch enough animals.

DragonSong

Asta opted for the shape of a white elk as they ventured out into the snow, sure that it would keep her warm, and the prey instincts would keep her alert to any potential dangers.

Not to mention it allowed her to cut a path through the snow to make walking easier for Mert, if she moved as he directed.