Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crossroads

Started by Paladienne, September 26, 2018, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Tourmaline only nodded, giving his companion a slight smile. If Citrine said it was fine, then it was fine. Right? After all, he was offering help, and Tourmaline would be an idiot not to accept it. He still did his best not to put his entire weight on Citrine, not wanting to overburden the warrior. He doubted they would be attacked, but stranger things had happened, and Tourmaline was certain that Citrine would need to move quickly in order to defend himself and his camp should something take place.

It was awkward going, because every step Tourmaline attempted to take was more like a hop in order to keep from putting weight upon his injured ankle. He had to lean on Citrine each time he wanted to move, so that he could swing his leg forward and gingerly press down on his toes. His face screwed up in a grimace each time, but he kept moving. He only hoped that they would reach the camp soon, so he could sit and rest his foot. The last thing he wanted was to delay his journey any longer. The world was so wide and there was so much left to see before time ran out.

He didn't want to travel home before his curiosity about the outside world was sated.

DragonSong

Citrine eyed his companion sidelong. They were moving st a snail's pace like this. "Look, um..." He bit his lip, trying to figure out the best way to offer his proposal without coming across like...

Well. Like a massive creep, essentially.

"Hey, so, the path here is...well, really it just gets steeper, and at the rate we're going-- not like it's your fault or anything, but ah-- oh, hells." He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Look, could I just carry you?"

Even as he asked the question he could feel his cheeks heating under his scales, and he couldn't make himself look at Tourmaline.

Paladienne

Tourmaline immediately felt heat suffuse his face as Citrine asked to carry him. What was wrong with walking like they were? Sure, they were moving slow, but that was fine, wasn't it? Just how far was their camp to need to be carried? Couldn't they make it there before true nightfall? But Tourmaline realized that Citrine knew the area better than he did, and there was likely a reason that the other Kulshedra was asking to carry him to the camp.

"Um..."

Tourmaline's mouth suddenly felt dry. His tongue brushed against his fangs and he tried to figure out how to properly answer Citrine. What was the harm in it, really? Other than it might be awkward considering Tourmaline wasn't exactly light. But, on the other hand, Citrine was also a warrior. In the unlikely event they were attacked, would Citrine be able to fight? The actual idea of them being attacked was pretty farfetched, but it was still a possibility.

Still, the faster they got to camp, the better it would be. Tourmaline made his choice and he hoped it was the right one.

"I... I guess? If... I mean... if it makes it safer."

DragonSong

Citrine's blush only worsened as Tourmaline obviously struggled with his answer. He coughed and scratched the back of his neck again, then nodded quickly. "Right. Um, okay. Thanks."

Clearing his throat, he turned and ducked to slip under one of Tourmaline's arms, scooping his own under the other kulshedra's knees. He lifted him with a soft huff-- he really wasn't light-- and nodded toward the sloping path ahead of them.

"I can set you down once we're off the side of the mountain. Path is pretty even from there, you should be fine." Why oh why was he so godsforsaken awkward?

Paladienne

Tourmaline hooked his arm around Citrine's neck and stared pointedly at his scaled knees, uncertain exactly what to say in this moment. It was clear that being so close, or at least being in a position like this, made Citrine uncomfortable. It made him uncomfortable, too. The last time he'd been carried at all had been when he'd been too small to walk on his own, and his mother had toted him around in her arms, or others of his tribe had carried him on their shoulders, or on their backs. That had been years ago, when he'd been much smaller and much lighter.

He wished he was lighter still, if only to ease the burden he created on Citrine. Tourmaline also wished that he hadn't fallen, that he hadn't twisted his ankle so. He wished he could walk on his own. But at the same time, had he been traveling alone and had gotten hurt like this, he really wasn't sure what he would do. Limp to the nearest town and hope that they would allow him to stay until he healed? Or lay there until he wasted away to nothing? Tourmaline was quite sure which option he enjoyed more.

"Okay," he responded, his voice quiet. "I'm sorry. I'm just making things harder on you."

DragonSong

"Oh, hey. It's not your fault," Citrine protested awkwardly. Fire, what was he supposed to say? What was he supposed to do? "Look, we're almost there, see?"

As they reached the end of the narrow path, he bent to set Tourmaline on his feet, keeping on hand on the man's shoulder and the other at his waist to help steady him. "You think you can make it from here? You can lean on my if you need..."

Paladienne

Tourmaline gently took a few steps forward. His ankle still hurt, but not as badly as before. He would still be slow, but he wouldn't be falling behind, nor would he cause Citrine any more problems.

"I think I'll be okay." Tourmaline smiled at the other man, purposefully taking a few steps away from him so Citrine was forced to remove his hand from his shoulder. It wasn't that Tourmaline didn't find the touch steadying or comforting - he did - but he didn't want to make the situation any more awkward between them. It was bad enough Citrine was allowing a stranger into his camp; Tourmaline didn't want anyone thinking something was happening when it most certainly was not. "Thank you. For carrying me, I mean. And for offering me a place to stay for the night."

He began walking, though with a noticeable hop-skip to his step as he tried to avoid putting too much weight on his injured limb. "It's been a long while since I've had such kindness. I'm in your debt."

DragonSong

"Ah, no you're not." Citrine waved him off as he started leading them along the last stretch of the path to camp. "We don't really do debts. And honestly it'd just be cruel to have left you out there."

He shrugged. "We should probably get someone to look at your ankle though. Don't want to just leave it and let it get worse."

Paladienne

"That would be kind, if anyone was agreeable. If not, I can take care of it myself."

It wasn't like Tourmaline hadn't cared for his own injuries before. All he needed was a moment to sit and rest, and he could figure out if something was broken or if it was just bruised, and act accordingly. He supposed that rest was all he really needed. He was already starting to walk a little better than before, even though it still somewhat hurt to put his full weight on his injured ankle.

His eyes went to Citrine's back and he smiled. It wasn't often that he found kindness in strangers. Still, he didn't want to be a burden to Citrine and his tribe, so Tourmaline said nothing more about his injury, nor anything more about debts. There would be time enough to deal with all that once they reached the safety of the tribe and he was able to sit down.

"Oh," Tourmaline started, as if his brain had just kick-started the thought, "is there anything I must do upon reaching your tribe? Like any sort of tradition strangers must do before being allowed entry?"

If so, Tourmaline wanted to know about it sooner than later, to keep from embarrassing not only himself, but Citrine as well.

DragonSong

"Ah, no, nothing like that," Citrine hurried to assure him. "Honestly, we don't get many visitors at all. Especially lately. Just...people may be a bit wary of you, but try not to take that to heart."

He considered saying something else-- though what exactly he wasn't entirely sure-- but he spent so long pondering over it that, that by the time he thought to really look up he realized they were almost to camp.

"Oh." He drew up short. "Uh...well, we're here."

"Triny!"

From between two trees, Blue came bounding up to them, rolling his eyes once he was in view of his brother. "What in hells took you two so long? C'mon, I told the Elder we have a guest."

He jerked his head over his shoulder, back toward the camp that was currently hidden from view by the last thick copse of trees before a small clearing.

Paladienne

Tourmaline smiled upon seeing Blue, raising his hand slightly as if to draw the boy's attention to him. "It was my fault. I tripped and fell, and twisted my ankle. It's getting better, but it still hurts some. So, I'm sorry. Citrine stayed to help me and make sure I made it to the village without issue."

He limped toward Blue then, not complaining at all about the pain he certainly was feeling. If he was going to enter the village, Tourmaline was going to enter on his own terms, and without making it look like he was weak and needed the help of others. Or, worse, that it was a ploy in order to get access to the village. He didn't want to get either brother in trouble, and he wanted to make sure he presented himself as honest and as genuine as he possibly could.

"I'm sorry to keep your Elder waiting." Tourmaline added with a smile. "We should probably go see him and make sure it's okay for me to be here."

DragonSong

Blue quirked an eyebrow, glancing at his brother, but Citrine kept his expression blank. With a huff and a roll of his eyes, the younger kulshedra turned to lead them back into camp. "She wants to meet you before she gives the final verdict on if you can stay," he told Tourmaline.

Paladienne

"Oh." Tourmaline felt his cheeks heat slightly. "I'm sorry."

He shouldn't have assumed, considering his own tribe was led by the most senior of females, but she also had a council made up of several other elders, and the males on the council mostly handled the meetings that strangers attended to see if they could stay with the tribe for a few days or not. In the end, it was her decision, but the Elder was often too busy with other duties that she hadn't the time for meeting every single guest that sought a brief respite within the tribe's holdings.

"Yes, please," he said, approaching Blue, "take me to see her. It's only proper that I meet her before I make myself comfortable, after all."

DragonSong

Blue brushed the apology off with a wave of his hand, simply nodding for the other two to follow. "Hurry up, if you can." He glanced back at Tourmaline with a quirked eyebrow. "How bad did you fuck up your leg?"

"Blue." Citrine shot his brother a disapproving look, and the younger man rolled his eyes.

"What? It's a reasonable question. If it's really bad, he'll probably need to stay longer than one night."

That...was a decent point, and one he'd been sort of trying to avoid thinking about.

Paladienne

Tourmaline offered a small smile, showing just a little bit of fang. It was a half-hearted smile, one that was hopeful and yet uncertain. He didn't know how bad he'd hurt himself, and wouldn't know until he was able to sit down and take a look at it. He was walking just fine, albeit with a slight limp, so he figured with a good night's rest, he could walk away under his own power come morning.

"I guess we'll have to see," Tourmaline said, looking toward Blue. "It just feels sore now. So I probably just rolled my ankle and it just needs a good rest. It's probably just bruised. Nothing feels broken. But then, I'm not a healer."

No, he wasn't a healer, but he knew his own body better than anyone. He was certain only a night in Citrine and Blue's village would be enough, especially if he could put his foot up and rest it. He glanced at Citrine, wondering what the other man was thinking. He couldn't really read the other Kulshedra's expression, but he could see in Citrine's eyes the emotion of worry. Tourmaline just didn't know if the worry stemmed from a stranger spending more than a single night in the village or worry for Tourmaline himself. He wasn't used to anyone worrying about him now that he was an adult.
He picked up his pace to match Blue's steps, finding his limp disappeared as he managed to put less weight on his injured ankle. "I'm sure it'll be just fine. A night should be enough."

Tourmaline looked at Citrine then and offered him what he hoped was a reassuring smile. He didn't want to overstay his welcome, and he didn't want to get the other man into trouble with his Elder or his tribe.

DragonSong

"Hey, whatever you say." Blue shrugged again, and this time Citrine followed close on his heels as his brother stepped through the last bits of foliage into camp.

The tribe had evidently already caught wind of the newcomer-- not that surprising, Blue wasn't very subtle and word traveled fast in such a small, close group. A few dozen kulshedra turned their heads almost in unison to see the two brothers enter camp with the stranger.

Citrine swallowed nervously, but tried not to let the tension show. He hated getting so much attention, it made him...twitchy.

Paladienne

Tourmaline did his best to ignore the stares he was getting. He already knew he was different than most Kulshedra - just by his coloring alone, especially - and often got stares wherever he went. His pink and blue scales were often the subject of wide eyes and long looks that made him quite uncomfortable, but he'd learned to live with that uncomfortableness and hid the emotion behind a mask of pure indifference. It helped that he could focus on the pain radiating from his ankle. While it seemed like it was getting easier to walk and better to walk on, it still hurt. He wasn't going anywhere tonight, even if the Elder demanded he get out.

Walking with Blue and Citrine, Tourmaline didn't feel like the ogling was just on him, though. Just as many were looking at the brothers. Glancing back at Citrine, Tourmaline could tell he was nervous and that he didn't like the attention. He didn't want it. It almost made Tourmaline smile, because Citrine understood how awful it was to be the subject of other people's unmitigated curiosity. Hopefully, though, it would be over soon. As soon as they met the Elder, people would, with any luck, go back to their usual business.

"Is there anything I need to do, when I meet the Elder?" Tourmaline asked at last, his voice low so only Citrine and Blue could hear. "I don't want to cause offense."

DragonSong

"Just...be polite. And don't talk too much," Blue whispered back quickly. "Triny and I can handle most of this. She's not unreasonable, just...wary."

Citrine sighed quietly. They were all wary-- they had been for over a decade now. This war wasn't just fought out on patrol, it was in their heads.

"Don't worry about it," he muttered to Tourmaline. "And...just ignore the staring. It'll stop. Eventually."

Paladienne

Tourmaline made a sound of understanding. He kept his gaze forward and did his best not to return the looks he was being given, following Blue and Citrine toward where the Elder waited.

DragonSong

Walking with a kind of sharp, nervous energy, Blue led the other two to the front of the largest tent near the center of camp, just a little ways apart from the Fire. Almost delicately, he cleared his throat and shuffled his feet.

"Elder? Citrine and the stranger are here... May we come in?"

There was a long beat of silence. Then a cracked, weathered voice intoned, "Enter, children."

Citrine and Blue exchanged a glance, then both looked to Tourmaline. Blue gave him a bright, encouraging smile, though his brother simply shrugged, stoic, and ducked inside.

Though a bit larger than the rest of the tents in camp, the inside of the Elder's tent was really nothing all that special. A few furs layered over each other covered the floor, a pile of different herbs, cut and organized, sat neatly in a far corner. The Elder herself rested cross-legged in the center of the tent, poking at a few warm coals in a ring of stone with a long stick.

Though her hair was gray with age, the streaks of purple were still visible within. Most of her scales were cracked and withering around the edges, but they still retained their amethyst hue. Lifting her eyes, she tilted her head as the three younger kulshedra entered, flickering her ears curiously.

"Welcome, stranger."