Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crossroads

Started by Paladienne, September 26, 2018, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Tourmaline entered the tent with a sense of reverence. He moved carefully, watching where he placed his feet and where he swung his tail. He didn't know if there was anything that could be easily destroyed or broken and he didn't want to insult his hosts by destroying something precious to them. When his eyes adjusted to the light of the coals, he was able to see the Elder. He was struck by how old she was, but also by the beauty of youth that she still retained. He wasn't certain how to address her, but he moved toward her and soon prostrated himself on the ground before her, bowing his head in deference to her as he would any Elder. He waited until she had spoken to lift his head and look up at her, giving her another bow until his forehead was pressed into the earth, as was his own tribe's custom when meeting with the tribe's Elder.

"Thank you, Elder," Tourmaline replied, his voice soft. "Forgive me for intruding upon your village. I happened to meet Citrine and Blue upon my own travels, and they offered me a place to stay for the night. I promise, you'll have no trouble from me, and if you allow me to spend the night in your village, I will leave at first light."

He raised his head and looked at the Elder's face, trying to keep his face as straight and emotionless as possible. He didn't want to seem too eager or too excited or too relieved. He would leave if she told him to leave, regardless of the time of night. He didn't want to be a bother to her or to anyone.

DragonSong

Golden eyes swept over Tourmaline with some combination of vague curiosity and calculation. When he lifted his head, she nodded to him politely.

"Be at ease, youngling," she murmured, and behind the stranger both Blue and Citrine released breaths they did not seem to realize they had been holding. The Elder smiled gently, but there were clear lines of exhaustion around her eyes and mouth. "You may stay here, stranger. For the night at least. My people are tired, and wary of those from outside, but we are not cruel. We will not turn away one in need."

Citrine suddenly stepped forward. "Elder," he murmured, dipping his head respectfully. "He's hurt. his leg. Could you maybe...?"

"Ah." The old kulshedra nodded briskly, settling back a bit. "Blue, fetch me my things. Show me your injury, young man."

Paladienne

Tourmaline hesitated. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he knew better than to disobey an Elder. So he shifted closer and closer still, careful to avoid the coals and the fire, until he was close enough to her that he could stretch out his leg and reveal to her his ankle. It had swollen considerably since he'd arrived and had been able to sit for a little while, and he winced as he stretched his leg out to its full span.

"It's nothing," he said softly. "A little rest is all I really need."

DragonSong

The Elder frowned and tsked at him. "You hush. That looks like it might be sprained-- that'll mean at least a day off your feet, if you're lucky."

Citrine winced a bit at that. He figured Tourmaline would want to be on his way as quickly as possible. Being told he'd have to actually be treated for the ankle probably wasn't the best news he could have gotten.

Almost aggressively cheerful, Blue scurried back to the Elder with an armful of herbs, mortar and pestle, and a few strips of recently washed linen. "Well, Triny seems to like him. He can just stay with us," he chirped.

The older brother went very red under his scales. "Wha-- I-- Now hang on a second--!"

Paladienne

Tourmaline closed his eyes for a brief moment at the news. He'd figured it had been sprained - not broken, he would've known for certain if it had been broken - but he'd hoped that it wouldn't have taken more than a night's rest for it to heal. If he had to stay off his feet for more than a day, then there was a good chance that his time would run out without him finishing his journey. He'd have to make a hard choice then, and Tourmaline knew in his heart which choice it was that he would make.

"If that's what you think is best, Elder," Tourmaline said, quiet and submissive. He knew better than to argue with an Elder, and knew better than to argue with a healer. When that healer was an Elder as well, it was better just to agree and to do whatever he was told to do.

He looked up as Blue scurried by with the Elder's supplies, and the pink scales of cheeks seemed to become even more rosy at the boy's words. Citrine liked him? They hardly knew each other! And he was a stranger. Why was Blue offering to let him stay with them? By rights, Tourmaline ought to stay where someone could keep an eye on him, so that they wouldn't be taken unawares. It was what his tribe did with strangers, although the strangers' accommodations were often much nicer than the actual tribe members' homes. He glanced at the Elder, then twisted to look at Citrine, noticing how stricken he looked. Then Tourmaline turned around again, and focused on his own leg as if to keep his gaze from straying anywhere it ought not to.

"It's okay," he said finally. "I have my own blanket in my pack. I can stay out under the stars. I've done it before."

DragonSong

"No no, really, you should stay with us!" Blue seemed determined now, grinning between Tourmaline and his brother. "We found you, so we're responsible for you."

Citrine sighed. Unfortunately, Blue had a point. He bowed to the Elder and murmured, "My brother is right. Tourmaline can stay with us while he heals-- and we will be there to act as guards should anything...unexpected happen."

The implication was clear: if Tourmaline turned on them, Blue and Citrine would be there to cut him down.

The older kulshedra tried not to look at their guest. Much as he hated to admit it, Blue was right on more than one account-- he was starting to like the stranger, just a little. He seemed...calmer than other outsiders he'd met. Sort of tranquil in his wanderings. It was strangely fascinating.

Paladienne

Tourmaline heard the threat under the words, and as much as he hated hearing them, he knew that they had to be said. It was only right and proper that Citrine and Blue would put their tribe over the life of a stranger. His tribe would. They had no obligation to him other than to give him shelter for a night - or in this case, until he healed - but beyond that, they weren't beholden to him for anything more. Tourmaline glanced back and forth between Citrine and Blue and then returned his attention to the Elder. In the end, the decision was hers.

"I really don't want to impose," Tourmaline said softly, directing his gaze downward. "And I don't mean to cause trouble."

He really didn't want to cause an issue for the brothers with their Elder or their tribe. They were risking so much by bringing him in to begin with, and he didn't want some mistake or transgression on his part to reflect shame upon the brothers or the Elder for allowing him to stay.

Tourmaline's gaze found Citrine's though, after a moment, and he found that Citrine was trying not to look at him directly. He didn't know what the other Kulshedra was thinking, but there was a strange light in Citrine's eyes. Unlike Blue's, which held mischief, Citrine's were calm and calculating, as if he was thinking of something beyond the current situation. Something about that, and something about the way Citrine held himself, brought a little amusement to Tourmaline.

"Once a warrior, always a warrior," Tourmaline whispered to himself, finding the other Kulshedra fascinating to watch. He was fierce and yet gentle, protective and yet giving. He supposed if there was anyone suited to protecting him - or ending him - it would be Citrine.

Tourmaline returned his gaze to the Elder and waited for her decision.

DragonSong

The Elder looked between the three of them, blinking slowly. Then she sighed and bowed her head slightly--a small nod.

"Very well. He may stay until he has healed."

Citrine felt himself relax, just slightly. Blue smiled, his tail flicking back and forth. "Great! C'mon then, stranger, we'll show you where you can rest."

His brother rolled his eyes. "Here." He held a hand down to Tourmaline. "I can help you up."

Paladienne

Tourmaline blinked as Citrine offered his hand, and he hesitated for a second before he reached to take it. He allowed the other Kulshedra to pull him to his feet, and balanced on his uninjured foot before he gingerly put the other down and tested it with his weight. He could walk on it, thanks to the Elder's ministrations, but he was going to have to rest as soon as her reached Citrine and Blue's home. It wouldn't do - and it would be quite rude - if he attempted to try and do more than he could after the Elder had taken the time to ensure that he would heal properly.

"Thank you," Tourmaline said to Citrine, his voice low. "I'm sorry to be a burden to you. And I'm sorry I'm imposing on you."

He realized then that he'd been holding onto Citrine's hand a little longer than he should have. He dropped his hand, and Tourmaline averted his gaze, hoping that the slight color that stained his cheeks went unnoticed. He glanced back at Citrine after a moment, then limped past him toward Blue, waiting for the younger Kulshedra to show him the way to his temporary home.

DragonSong

"It's really no trouble," Citrine replied quietly, a platitude that even he wasn't sure was entirely a lie or not. When Tourmaline dropped his hand so quickly he found himself flushing a bit as well and cleared his throat, turning to offer a quick bow to the Elder.

"We're not too far, c'mon!" Blue chirped cheerily as he led the other two back out into camp. "Here, Tourmaline, lean on me-- since Triny seems too shy to act as crutch again."

"I'm not--!" Feeling his cheeks get hotter by the second, the older brother snapped his mouth shut with a glare and a soft growl. No point trying to argue, Blue would just twist things around.

Paladienne

Tourmaline wasn't sure what was going on exactly, except for the fact that Blue was incredibly good at pushing Citrine's buttons and making his older brother feel rather childish. It was actually rather amusing, because the banter between the brothers reminded him of home, when his own siblings would argue amongst each other for one thing or another, and then in the next breath, they would be the best of friends.

But he didn't want to make Citrine uncomfortable, so he accepted Blue's offer of leaning on him so as not to put weight on his injured ankle. As he draped his arm around the younger Kulshedra's shoulder, he glanced back at Citrine. He saw the glow to the other man's cheeks and couldn't help the warmth that flooded his own cheeks. Tourmaline quickly looked away from Citrine and concentrated on matching Blue's stride as best he could as they left the Elder's tent and headed for the brothers'.

What was he getting himself into? Tourmaline didn't know. He'd met few strangers on his journey that were willing to aid him in some fashion, and fewer still that were willing to aid him without asking for anything in return. He felt as though he could trust the brothers', and he couldn't deny that there was something about Citrine that he liked. He couldn't put his finger on it, but it was undeniable all the same.

"Thank you, Blue," Tourmaline said at last, after they'd walked some distance in silence. "I don't mean to be such a burden on you. If there's anything I can do to help, or return the favor, just let me know, and I'll do it."

DragonSong

"Oh, don't worry about that," the younger kulshedra chirped easily. "Honestly it's just great to meet someone new! Not much opportunity for socializing with strangers with a war on, y'know?"

Citrine winced a bit, but kept his piece. He'd worked most of his adult life to make sure that his brother never knew the realities of that war, and he'd be damned if the younger man's occasionally off-color comment would crack that facade.

He knew Blue wasn't naive, but he'd also never seen the front lines of this conflict. He could joke about it, and did, because it was what made the world make sense to him, made it less horrible. Citrine wasn't about to take that away.

"You said you've been traveling, right?" Blue suddenly asked Tourmaline as they approached the brothers' tent. "Where are you from? How long have you been gone? Are you ever going back? What've you seen?"

"Blue." Citrine cut in quietly, lips quirking up just a bit on one side. "Breathe, kid. Let him answer."

Paladienne

Tourmaline smiled at Blue's eagerness. He could understand curiosity - it was, after all, what sent him on his own quest. And he was more than happy to answer the youth's questions. When Citrine barked at Blue for pestering, Tourmaline couldn't help but smile. He supposed he'd been much like the younger Kulshedra once, always asking questions, always yearning to know more, always looking beyond what was to see what could be.

"I've been traveling for many suns now," Tourmaline started, a smile still on his face. "I'm from a tribe far to the west, where the long sands and the sea meet. And I've been gone for... about two years. And yes, I'll have to go back."

His smile faded at that. Yes, he'd have to go back, and soon. If he didn't return at the appointed time, then he would be considered dead by his tribe and disowned, and he would be homeless, tribeless, and that wasn't a fate Tourmaline wanted. He'd promised himself that he would return home at the appointed time, whether he'd seen everything he'd wanted to see or not. He could live with the disappointment of not knowing everything the world had to offer, because he had already seen so much. But he knew he couldn't live with the idea of never seeing his family or his homeland again.

Tourmaline looked at Blue and gave him a smile, trying to hide the sudden melancholy that had come over him when he thought about home. "As for what I've seen, I've seen quite a bit. Large bodies of salty water, plains full of golden grass as high as your shoulders, men that are so in tune with their horses that they're practically one creature. I'll show you my collection and my journal. I have plenty of stories to tell."

DragonSong

Both Blue and Citrine suddenly gaped. "You...you have a tribe?" the younger man mumbled as they approached their tent.

Citrine elbowed his brother sharply and gave him a quick, harsh look. Just because the two of them had assumed that Tourmaline's solitary status meant his tribe no longer existed clearly didn't mean it was true-- and he really didn't want his pest of a little brother making the poor man uncomfortable.

"I-- I mean--" Blue blinked, eyes wide, then added quickly, "Yeah, I'd really love to hear some stories!"

Paladienne

Tourmaline blinked at their shock at the mention of his tribe. Had they thought he was alone simply because he was traveling alone? His lips quirked as amusement flashed through him, and he couldn't help but laugh, displaying his fangs as the deep sound erupted from his chest and echoed into the open air. He leaned heavily on Blue as he laughed, eventually subsiding into hiccuping gasps as he tried to breathe and contain his mirth.

"Of course I have a tribe!" Tourmaline exclaimed, grinning brightly. "They're waiting for me to return even now. And I will, eventually. I haven't yet seen all there is to see." And he likely wouldn't, Tourmaline knew, only because the delay of his twisted ankle would eat up at least a day or two of travel time, and he didn't have much time left. He would eventually have to turn around and follow his path back home. "And once I return home, then I'll have wonderful stories to tell them, just as I'm going to tell you."

Tourmaline ruffled Blue's hair lightly, then looked over his shoulder at Citrine. He smiled at the elder brother, lifting his shoulders in a shrug. "My tribe has certain traditions that they observe, things that have been done since time immemorial. My traveling is one of those traditions."

DragonSong

Citrine rolled his eyes as he ushered the other two into their small hut, still helping Tourmaline make his way on his injured ankle.

Blue chuckled a bit and ducked away from the hair ruffling with the ease of many years of practice as a younger brother. "You lot leave the tribe as part of tribe tradition?" he asked with wide eyes.

Citrine shot his brother a quick, warning look, trying to tell him silently not to pry if it was going to make their guest uncomfortable.

Paladienne

Tourmaline took his time in answering, settling on the ground where he could stretch out his leg and rest his injured ankle. He pulled his pack from his shoulders and set it beside him, looking up at Blue with a fanged smile. "It's complicated."

He paused to order his thoughts. No outsider really knew the nuances of the tradition, and not many who lived within the tribe would describe it to outsiders. They never really described it to those who lived within the tribe either. It was always an unspoken thing; everyone knew about it, but no one actually talked about it. The young were free to go or stay as they chose, and they knew the rules if they chose to leave. Some returned, some did not. Why, Tourmaline couldn't say. Perhaps they'd found something more fascinating out in the world than they could ever find at home, or perhaps they had met with tragedy in their journey, or perhaps they had returned but only after it was too late. There were many reasons, but none of them were ever spoken of.

"My tribe isn't nomadic," Tourmaline began after a moment. "We stay in one spot. The hunting is good, there's good water, and we seem to be in a place that sees travelers once or twice a year. Three times, if the weather is kind. No one really knows when the tradition started, but... when the young of my tribe reach a certain age, we're given a choice - stay with the tribe or go see the wider world. I chose to go see the wider world. But I intend to return, and I must return before the winter stars can be seen in the sky." Otherwise, he added silently, I won't have a home to return to.

DragonSong

"Huh." Blue plopped down onto his bed mat, pressed up against the left-hand wall, as he listened to the other kulshedra talk. He gave a low whistle when he finished, shaking his head and leaning back on his bed. "Fires. That's...huh. Weird."

"Blue!" Citrine, having crossed to sit cross-legged on his own bed, scowled and hucked the nearest object at his brother's head-- an apple he'd tucked under his pillow for a snack, as it turned out.

"Ow!" His younger brother jolted upright, rubbing his head and scowling. "What? It is!"

Paladienne

Tourmaline laughed softly, his shoulders lifting and falling as he shrugged. "It is kind of strange, to outsiders. Most strangers don't understand our customs. This one isn't widely talked about, either. We learn of it only when the young start talking about things beyond the village. The elders tell us, I mean."

His smile faltered then as he remembered the Elder taking him aside and telling him of the tradition, especially after Tourmaline had listened wide-eyed as a child to the tales that the traveling merchant had told, and then began to speak of seeing and doing the same things as that merchant. He shook himself, and Tourmaline pulled his pack to him, opening it to pull out his journal.

"That's the way of things, you know. For the young to question what is and what could be, to challenge the old way in favor of the new." Tourmaline smiled as he stared at the cover of his journal, running his fingers over the worn leather. "So when I return, I'll tell my stories of what I saw and what I learned, and maybe someone will be inspired to leave the village and explore further than I did. Or perhaps my stories will be enough and none of the young ones will choose to leave."

He looked up at Blue. "Perhaps you've traveled for your entire young life, and so the world is very small to you. But to my tribe, the world beyond our village is very large and filled with the unknown. We're content to remain within our own borders, but... sometimes we have to learn what exists beyond us. Otherwise, how can we grow as a people?"

DragonSong

"Oh, we don't travel," Blue replied quickly, shaking his head. "I mean, it sounds fascinating, but we just...can't. Have to defend ourselves these days, y'know?"

Citrine winced slightly and shuffled where he sat, staring sullenly at the wall. Once upon a time their tribe had employed many members as scouts, wanderers in constant search of fertile lands or new wonders. He had no doubt Blue would have been such a member of the tribe, if the position was still held.

War changed things.

"You should rest," he murmured to Tourmaline, a little abrupt. "You hungry? We can get you something to eat before it's full dark."