Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Left Out in the Cold (Eckhart, finished) [M]

Started by Whim, June 23, 2019, 11:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@Eckhart_Von_Musel

"When I'm in tournaments I usually play with a dragon deck. Basically it lets you play a lot of big monsters earlier. That can really trip people up. Like when I was playing that pillow boy last week's I pulled out a hydra on turn three! The poor kid had no idea how to handle it. He almost shit-" Elwin snorted with laughter. "And then the two-headed one tried to argue with me for five minutes!

Today was either going really perfect, or really badly. Elwin may have let it slip to Juniper Whitechalk that the Headmistress never schedules meetings on Friday afternoons. Now it was 1:00 and the white-heiress was here, but Nettlefield had specified no disturbances until precisely 2:00 P.M. He felt positively awful making Juniper wait, but it gave them time to chat, and he was killing it. Oh Myyla she was just so pretty, and so smart, and not shallow or full of herself like other girls. Elwin never had luck with women, but she just got him. Maybe it was a perfect day. Except that he forgot to shave this morning! Shit! Or did that make him look rugged? It probably did...

"But my favorites are these." Saoirse's pudgy apprentice gave a wry smile, plucking a wad of hexagonal-shaped playing cards from his coat. He splayed for her to see. They were slightly crinkled, as if gripped too long by sweaty hands. There was a stingray with the face of a young woman who sad and lonely, a medusa coiled atop a rock beckoning someone closer, and a winged girl with a bee's abdomen and wicked smirk. "I think these are really the magnum opus of the set. I like how they're so powerful, but its really friendship and stuff that's important to them. You know?

"Some people think that sort of thing is childish. But I think its really shedding misanthropy that makes you mature. When I look at this I don't think the important thing is that she uses Lightning Lure to stun an enemy long enough to use Blackvenom Harpoon. Its that maybe too many ships have disturbed the oceans, and sailors are just what there is to eat. But maybe if someone took the time and showed a little empathy she wouldn't kill humans. You know?"

Saoirse was in her plush chair, a cup of spiced cider dangling from her grip. Her large window made the office a touch drafty, but she found the cold bracing. There was a light snow in the air, just enough to make it scenic. She enjoyed watching her school run like clockwork. A wild-haired boy was balanced atop a floating broom on his way to class. Walking beside him was a purple haired youth in an absurd robe of multi-colored fur. Meanwhile a pot-bellied boar-man was naked in the sparring grounds, trying to stand tall while his friend conjured gales of frost in some test of endurance. Two dress code violations? And how did shape-changing factor in? An appendix should be developed to elaborate.

At least her piggish assistant was pulling his weight, if unknowingly. Topping off her drink, she could hear him blathering about those terrible children's cards through her door. He was an utterly perfect assistant when set loose upon the right people. Truly, just who did this Whitechalk girl thinks she was popping in at a moment's notice? And for a first-year student of all things! Wyrdwood had been training magicians for centuries and for a minor donor to waste the Headmistress' time a singular student was absurd. It was in her power to cancel of course, but there had been complaints that six boys to a room was overcrowding...

And more importantly M would be amused. If it were up to him a flame imp would be heating up her doorknob in preparation for Juniper's entry. Crass. But is a man without capacity for juvenile pranks really a man? Once that went other things were bound to follow. She had another hour to enjoy this. Perhaps a crossword?
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Oh, really? I see, very interesting..."

Juniper whitechalk stood in front of the pudgy young man, the most disingenous of smiles playing across her lips. She'd always thought her older brother's fascination with the card game had been rather silly, but this took it to a whole to level. Had it not been for the meeting, she'd have left in raucous laghter a long time ago...

The meeting was, of course, unannounced. It wasn't anything majorly important, really- it was more a matter of Juniper getting antsy when she couldn't see how her new favorite was progressing. Few things brought the young woman more joy than being able to watch as somebody realized their potential- the excited expression they wore, their giddy excitement as thet told all their friends what they'd learned to do. Having to wait until the Susie came home for Myyla's day wasn't quick enough- she wanted to see her now.

Unfortunately, that meant she'd first have to navigate her way past this person. Juniper tilted her head to the side, studying the pretentious blob who called himself Elwin. Aside from a minor skill in summoning his soul was basically useless. Why even bother keeping him around? It was a difficult concept to wrap her head around- if someone didn't serve a purpose then they weren't even worth interacting with, it was as simple as that. Still, there was no way of getting out of this conversation.

"So, do you mostly play against the students here then?" she asked cooly, feining interest in the risque artwork displayed on the gorgon card. "You must be very popular with them then, if that's how you spend your free time. Children do need role models to look up to, after all."

Whim

"I do see myself as a role-model." Of course he had never considered his hobby to be on the level of mentoring before, but it sounded right. She really got him! "I find kids really respect authenticity. Something is lost when you get older, you know? Once you're in power a kind of selfishness settles in. I really try and be mindful of it." Most kids liked him, didn't they? Except that two-headed boy who was always sighing, complaining about how Elwin was late and wrong all the time. It wasn't fair there was such a long walk between Nettlefield's office and the conjuration labs! And that awful Beatrix pointing out every time he forgot to put silver dust around his circles. But most kids liked him.

"There are meetings every week; anyone who plays cards can go. There's one today, actually, if you'd like to try?" A pudgy hand offered the stack of hexagonal cards for closer viewing. Medusa and Black Wasp Queen were at the top, and those below just as juvenile and risque. Elwin was positively glowing...

A tiny squirrel was dozing atop one of Saoirse's bookshelves. It rose to attention, eyes narrowed at the pair. What kind of fucking gods allowed him to be made sapient and doomed to this existence? He was probably going to let her in before two. Nothing more pathetic than being given an easy job and fucking it because you're lazy.

Six across was two words: Thrifty shopper. Bargain hunter, obviously. And the T in hunter made twelve down, a frozen forest, taiga. She had heard they were lovely in the summer. It was a pity her position made travel near impossible. Still, the piny hills here had their charm.

The snow was beginning to grow heavier. The younger students had begun to creep out into the courtyard, tentetively debating whether or not they were too old to be throwing snowballs. The Rhys boy, still an animal, was lounging against a wall while the blonde began to sculpt something from the snow.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Juniper's eyes seemed to glaze over as the man continued to warble, her smile beginning to look painful. What was he on about, really? When had children ever respected authority? She certainly hadn't. Basil never had either, which had led to the predicament the Whitechalks were in now.

"Basil..."

Juniper shut her eyes tight, then opened them again. "Sage and Auntie will find him." she thought numbly, attempting to put her youngest brother out of her mind. "This is supposed to be a fun trip."

"No." she said sharply, holding up her hand. "I'd rather skip that- unless Susie plays?"

Whim

The color drained from Elwin's face at Juniper's firm 'no'. The young man had just spent the last twenty minutes telling her all the best parts of Monster Mash! Was she even listening? Why shouldn't she see? "Well, once-or-twice! She's, um, friends with that two-headed boy. He's always there. Or them, rather."

And with that Skugg leapt from the bookshelf, landing on Elwin's desk and sending papers flying. "Again with this? Have you been following the last twenty minutes? Do you really think she wants to look at your imaginary crushes? She wanted to find out if the Headmistress was really busy, and get you to let her in!" Skugg chittered. "You have exams to grade. She can sit in her sad little corner and pretend she is important or stare drooling at the ceiling. I am sure she will be quite fine without your advances."

"We were just- you missunderstood-!" the youth sputtered. Elwin wished Skugg would not follow him all the time. The squirrel did make magic so much easier, but he could never ever let anything just be. Nothing was ever good enough, nothing could ever just be nice. It was just horrible.

"Have I? Let me talk to her."

"That is not a very good-"

"Let. Me. Talk. To. Her." The squirrel screeched, loud enough to draw attention or at least curiosity.

Sixteen down, three letters, A birdly cry. Simple. She finished the last of the crosswords and continued paging through the Maestoto Manifesto. The article was not out yet, but the wretched newspaper was her only reading material. Is the Queen three imps in a dress? A Close Lover says quite possibly! Rubbish. But that did not stop her from reading...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Not a very good what?"

Juniper's eyes lit up when she saw the squirrel, her smile curling into a nasty grin. It was very rare to see a familiar who's magic outclassed it's master- though, this animal was still nothing incredible. Still, this was certainly a better distraction than disussing card games was.

"What's your little friend's name? He"s very cute."  Juniper said, her innocent tone of voice clashing with the look she wore on her face. "Does he like head scratchies?"

Whim

As if to answer Juniper's question the squirrel skittered over to the heiress, stretching out  expectantly, big black eyes staring up at Juniper. "I do. And I bet you would, too, isn't that right?"

Elwin turned an alarming shade of red, almost if he might be choking. "Ah-uh-oh! He wants to speak. But he gets over-excited. I didn't think it was a good idea.

"His name Skugg. He's my familiar. I conjured him myself!" Elwin beamed, like a small child who did his chores without being asked. "And I, uh, well maybe he might?" Did summoning the cute squirrel count for nothing? Maybe this was the closest he'd get to it all...

Three years ago a goblin was recruited to replace one of the imps. Given their nature as primordial beings a pregnancy simply would not be possible. The greatest mystery is why the arrangement fell through, and what fate the country shall be. We did speak to a former chamber maid, best kept anonymous, who spotted a tearful green figure, bindle in hand, scampering through the palace gardens one midsummer night.

Perhaps she did not like sitting between two imps day after day? Perhaps there were personality differences? Perhaps she was a free spirit? But our thoughts return to the bundle she carried. It was most definitely not mere luggage. Did she want to raise the child wrapped within on her own? Did she fear assassination of her only son? Where is the Prince of Serendipity?

Amusing to see this humiliating filth published. It was a strange thing the Maestoto Manifesto was being published. Did someone important like it that much to protect it? It was not so hard to threaten an editor's family over a bit of libel.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Yeah-huh." Juniper said dismissively, waving the portly young man off. "Probably just a fluke. Who's a cutie-pie? Who's a cutie-pie?"

The white haired girl scratched behind the squirrel's ears, cooing gently. "You deserve better! Yes you do! Yes you do!" If Elwin reacted to this, Juniper was too distracted to notice...

Whim

Skugg leaned into juniper's nail as he scritched his neck, a look of contentment woven into the squirrel's face as his tail swayed. "I do deserve the best. And this is quite nice, isn't it? Oh, right over there..."

Juniper's veiled insults, meanwhile, did not quite faze Elwin. He could almost feel her touching him. The sensation made his toes curl and his heart pound, his face was visibly flushing. "I, uh, um! Magister Llewellyn had thought that maybe. Ah!-" Thank goodness he was wearing robes.

Anything more than an hour long break and she could be remiss in her duties. Still, leaving that poor girl with Elwin seemed an amusing enough torment. It was 1:59 P.M. now. Saoirse watched the big clock over her doorway, styled after a smiling Sun. When she said 2:00 P.M. she absolutely meant it. Seconds ticked by like hours.

There was a gentle click and the door to Saoirse's office was tugged open by a gentle breeze and a bit of magic. "Come." Her sharp voice rang out. Elwin and Skugg jumped to attention.

It was a long journey across a carpet and up a small flight of stairs to reach Saoirse's desk. Busts of the old headmasters leveled a stony gaze at her visitors. The Headmistress sat with tented fingers. Two copies of Susie Rainfeather's progress report were on her desk, and a little black book.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

*click*

Juniper glanced upwards at the sound, half a smile on her lips. The door to the Headmistress's office had finally swung open- about time, really. The young woman immediately strode across the carpet towards the stairs, not sparing any time to bid the man or his squirrel a farewell. "Worthless..."

Juniper brusquely climbed the staircase and approached the desk, only pausing momentarily to gaze at one of busts that lined the walls. The statue's visage was unusually lifelike- unfortunate, given the man's rather unseemly appearance. Exhaling sharply, she sat down. "So." she asked, crossing her legs. "Has she figured it out?"

It wasn't a questioned she expected an answer to- not from the headmistress, at least. Whatever grades and test scores they'd likely discuss were bound to be boring, however, so it was best to cut straight to the point. "I don't expect she has yet- though, it'd be a pleasant surprise if she did..."

Whim

Saoirse slid the reports across the table, ignoring the vagueries. "Her progress is ordinary for first year. She is talented at transmogrifiication, but cannot assert herself or solve-problems under duress. Of course, that is normal for lowborn students. Its not uncommon that they are intimidated better connected peers. It will pass." The girl was a mousy little thing, really, and beneath the notice of most anyone. But that was true for most unblooded students. "But I will guess it is not her you are interested in, more broadly?

"I will tell you what I tell many of our patrons. Sometimes wizards will manifest a small spark of magic, independently, when they come of age. Dylan crafted a path of ice to rescue his drowning brother, Carwyn turned into the family dog, and so on. It can suggest future talents and proclivities. However, at this stage we focus on the fundamentals." The Headmistress drew a quill, hovering it over an inkwell. Ideally it was more amusing to outright dismiss Juniper, but being thorough was important. "Are you expecting something? Her record has no data suggesting native talent.

"Was something omitted from her application?" Many applications were fast-tracked by wealthier patrons, and it was only a formality.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Juniper took the papers in hand, thumbing through them coolly. "Nah..." she said idly. "I just have a good feeling about her."

Of course, it was more than just a feeling- Juniper could tell that the girl was special just by looking at her. Cluing others in to Susie's value would be a disservice to her goals, however. It was better that the student remembered Juniper as the only one who believed in her- her loyalty to the Whitechalk family could be comprimised otherwise.

The corner of Juniper's mouth curled upwards. "Looks like she's doing alright then. Nothing I wasn't already expecting." She gazed at the older woman quizzically. "Is she making friends?"

Whim

"Her social engagement is somewhat lagging." Saoirse traced her finger down the crease of the parchment to the metric. "But its nothing to worry about it. Lowborn students tend to be intimidated and feel out of place; it will pass. If you're wondering what sort she is affiliating with you can see right here under 'Cohort'. Kana and Liam. Talented in illusion and elementalism; impulsive. You may notice they share a body. One of our fellows, Anwen ferch Rhys, arranged for it. Liam was a rather late arrival you see."

The pairing worked out rather well, in all honesty, though the magic was of limited utility unless you wanted to create some terrible chimaera. They did prove an amusing display of Wyrdwood's ingenuity. That was how you disposed of busy-body patrons who believed a paltry few coins gave them a say in things. You dazzle them with crafted gossip and select developments and send them off feeling vaguely important despite having done nothing.

"I hope you did not come all this way because you were confused by our metrics." Saoirse sat back, looking down on Juniper with tented fingers. "What, exactly, do you want to achieve for Susie this visit?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Juniper nodded, smiling. The Hargrove boy's family was from her duchy- a coincidence that would serve to further strengthen the Whitechalk's grasp on the girl. It would seem that everything was falling into place, and the only thing left to do here was...

"Yes, there is." Juniper said flatly. "I'd like to request she be given additional coursework. Based on what you've been telling me, I don't feel she's challenged enough."

Whim

"To what end? I don't think middling performance warrants a personal tutor. It costs time and money; I'd only consider it for a student whose mastered what's in front of them. Are you trying to argue some non-specific stress will bring out her hidden talent? It seldom works without genuine ambition and drive." She sighed sharply, "She is an entirely adequate sorceress and will grow with time. And there is really nothing you can do for her development.

"Unless you want help us find a stipend for a personal tutor." The headmistress' usual frown curled into the slightest of smiles.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"That sounds perfect." Juniper said, ignoring the older woman's veiled pushback. The teenager smiled, crossing her legs comfortably "I have no doubt the Whitechalk family will be able to find an amount suitible for your liking."

The family, of course, had unlimited funding- Juniper's mother would see to it that the school recieved any additional funds they needed. More than what they needed even, should the Headmistress continue to grow difficult.

With that roadblock presumably out of the way, the girl had only one request left to make. She folded her arms, smile fading slightly. "May I see her?"

Whim

"Ten thousand suns will suffice. We'll see to the details later." A small fortune, far more than a tutor might need, and perhaps enough to make her father cross for reckless spending. It was meant as an insult but the girl would no doubt wave it away. It would be more gold for new projects, still, which was a victory. "I'll say again, If you think you know what she is capable of we could find a suitable tutor."

"But if that's all?" Her lips curled into a pleasant smile, but her violet eyes stayed narrow. "Elwin can show you to her. Though the first years are in class. Primordial magic and ritual." She made it a point to know every schedule in exacting detail, down to the minutiae.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Juniper smiled- she'd honestly expected the price to be even higher. "Very well." she said cooly. "You'll have the payment in full by the end of the week." She stood up, pushing her chair back into place. "I expect nothing but the best for her. I trust you'll be able to provide that."

"...Now, you said Edmund would be showing me the way? That the squirrel's name, yes?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Susie dashed through the hall, her heavy bag thrown over her shoulder. The temporal windchime the marked the beginning of class had sounded three minutes ago! Nearly colliding with a gaggle of upperclassmen, she turned the corner into Room 32-C. "Sorry I'm late..." shd murmured, nearly tripping over herself as she took her seat. "W-Won't happen again..."

Whim

"As always the key is to separate what's actually magical from the superstition. As you'll see with Yoreiqi blood magic, if you want to alter someone's body, you'll need bone as a focus. Any bone will do but the closer in species the greater the effect. You'll notice that Yoreiqi sorcery does involve the bones of ancestors and communion. Can anyone tell me why that is? Anyone but Beatrix-" And Susie trudged through the door, interrupting Anwen and her train of thought. The girl was always a mess and rushing around. She supposed Susie must be bullied by upper classmen, but that didn't stop a murmur of annoyance. "Just sit down.

"As I was saying, the prayers are just the belief that their ancestors are gifting them the magic. But the fact is the bones of relatives will be a superior conduit..."

"Hi!" Kana gave Susie a smile as she sat next to him. Liam was meanwhile scribbling away notes in his sloppy left-headed scribbles. They were right-handed but Kana never took any.

"Oh, hello Susie." He perked up, "I could, um, give you my notes. But they are kind of messy..."

"Elwin. He will take you there when we are finished." She flicked a finger and there was the faintest click on the far side of the room.

"Eight tutors across all subjects under the notion with enough adversity she will blossom into something is not effective or worthwhile. You're not sending her here on the basis of a hunch. If you know something, and if you care for her development, share it."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Juniper shrugged her shoulders, sitting back down. "Just focus on the transmogrification then." she said flatly. "Maybe conjuration too."

The young woman tilted her head to the side, studying the headmistress with mild interest. "You know, I'm sure if you asked Susie herself, she'd be more than happy to tell you about her... magic dust. I daresay she told everyone in her village once she figured out how to create it."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Susie's cheeks flushed at the teachers quiet reprimand, and the girl hurried to her seat in embarressment. They turned an even deeper red as Kana greeted her, to the point where one might mistake her face for a giant apple. "H-Hi Kana..." she squeaked quietly. She eyed the two boy's notes, unable to make out a word of what was written. "Hey Liam... um... Maybe we shouldn't..." She reached into her bag to retrieve her own notebook and a worn-out quill. "I don't wanna get in trouble again..."