Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You Can't Run From the Nightmares [visualspice]

Started by DragonSong, May 10, 2020, 12:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Jasper knelt automatically and started to reach for the thing before quickly snatching her hand back. She wasn’t sure what exactly was happening when she touched Jace, but she knew she didn’t want to encourage her magic, not here, not ever.

“Looks like it,” she muttered, rocking back on her heel and looking around the shop. Her brow scrunched up slightly. “Hey…does it seem weird to you that we’re the only ones in here?”

visualspice

Jace paused, key in hand as he glanced around. He remained quiet and heard a noise and signaled her to remain, still and quiet. Then he snuck down the aisle of trinkets and peered around the edge to see...

He chuckled and glanced back in her direction.
"Seems the shopkeep is asleep!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Jasper rolled her eyes. "Of course he is." Was it something in the water around here? Why was everyone so trusting?

"In that case, let's head out before he wakes up," she said with a shrug and a nod toward the key he held. He'd solved the box, so it was basically his, right?

visualspice

Jace apparently thought differently, moving towards the shopkeep's table and gently placing the key and box ontop of it. It was a subtle noise, and their talking was significantly louder than it- but it seemed that was enough to wake the man up as he gave a garbeled snort of a snore and sat up.
"Oh!" He blinked his wide, orange eyes at the pair, shaggy grey eyebrows raising. "Customers!" And he paused a moment to look down, adjusting the spectacles half falling down his nose at the box.

"Ah, so you're interested in this trinket here?" he asked, gently picking up the antique in a cupped hand, leaving the key still resting upon the table.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Oh, for fucks sake!

Jasper swallowed down a groan and let her shoulder lean up against the shop wall, arms folded and tapping her fingers irritably against her own elbow. It would have been so easy to just take the damn key, but no. Of course not.

Kid was too nice for his own good.

"The trinket's worthless without whatever it is that key goes to," she pointed out, carefully bored.

visualspice

Jace's dark eyes danced, amused.  But he didn't look her way and asked the shop key the price.

"For this? Yes, hrmm , let's see here. Should cost at least two silver pieces."

Jace smiled at the price and hesitated before he leaned back and scratched at the back of his head.
"That much, huh?"

"It's rare, that it is. But it's been on my shelves for some time. Afraid I still can't sell it for less. Price on its firm."

DragonSong

"Are you kidding me?"

Jaz stared the shopkeeper down. "You're not even offering whatever it is that key unlocks. That's a rip and you know it."

visualspice

The old man shrugged.

"Price is firm."

Jace was tempted, but that would be the last of his silver and well,  he would need to eat!

"It's okay, we were just looking anyway." He gestured to Jasper.  "We should probably continue our date, " he said with a playful grin.

DragonSong

Jasper sighed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, date. Sure. Come on."

She stepped forward to herd Jace toward the door, throwing the shop owner a dirty look as she did—and slyly pocketing the puzzle box and key both.

Growing up on Ketra's streets had taught her master pickpocketing, if nothing else.

visualspice

Once they stepped outside,  Jace stretched his lean and lanky, lightly muscled body.
"That was fun. Wonder what almost trouble we can find next?" He asked,  flashing her a boyish grin. "Maybe the book store next? "

DragonSong

Jasper fought the urge to roll her eyes yet again--and fought harder to keep a smile off her lips. Damn, the kid was infectious.

"Fine," she drawled with a shrug. "Not like I've got anyplace special to be."

visualspice

Jace's grin widened.
"Well, now you do!" He gestured toward the street, and pointed up the winding town street towards a wooden sign that looked like a book.
"Looks like the book store is up that-a-way." He turned to her, smirking again, his eyes dancing with a light, playful mischief. "Up for a climb?" He examined the road with a whistle. "Impressive to have such steep roads in this town."

DragonSong

"Oh, great." Jasper gave him a baleful look as she trailed along after him. She honestly had no idea why she was still humoring this, but she couldn't seem to make herself stop. "You're one of those people who actually likes exercise, aren't you?" she grumbled.

visualspice

Jace blinked.
He was pretty skinny, but he had muscle on him, solid, but ones that indicated he was built more for endurance, running- than brute strength. She might have judged correctly.

Then he laughed, tossing his head back, and it seemed others didn't understand what was so funny, and why this young man- dressed like a thug or gang member, was laughing so loudly. An older woman ushered her horse drawn cart much more hurriedly up the hill- she definitely didn't want to stick around some crazy kid.

"I guess you could say that. I mean, I can't say I exactly exercise, but I don't sit around like some rock stuck in a stream." He paused to consider and laughed while adding, "I'm more like the river itself!"

DragonSong

Jasper snorted, rolling her eyes yet again--and cutting an exasperated look toward the older woman who hurried herself along as she did. She'd been on the receiving end of more than one such similar experience, and while she couldn't say it bothered her, exactly--she knew better than most that people had a right to be wary--she didn't like the feeling it inspired either.

"Alright, River Boy," she muttered, unthinkingly reaching out to take Jace's arm and start up the hill. "Sooner we get going, sooner I don't have to climb anymore hills--"

Her voice cut off in a sharp inhale as the...the whatever it was she had felt before when they touched flared up again. Her magic crackled at her fingertips against the inside of her gloves and she snatched her hand back quickly, cradling it to her chest as though she'd burned it.

visualspice

The reaction was strange, and Jace jerked too, his face scrunching with uncertainty as he peered at her.
"Oh.. sorry I..." he raised his brows though, not sure what to apologize for. "Did I.. hurt you?" because truly, he was confused if he had!

It seemed the lady with the cart may have heard whatever that exchange was too, for she was urging her horse to go faster up the hill. Steepness be damned. She didn't want a dangerous thug to rob her of her goods- she had just gotten here!

DragonSong

"What? No. No, of course you didn't." Jasper scowled, but it was more at her hand than at him.

Just what the hells was going on?

"I'm fine," she huffed, tossing her hair and shaking her hand out subtly and let it drop back to her side. "Let's just...keep moving."

visualspice

Jace frowned.
"Are you sure you're alright?"
He would feel bad if he had somehow done something to her but...
What had happened?
He stared at his hand a moment, the zinging sensation fading. He turned his hand over, still pondering when a SNAP and a scream tore him from his thoughts-

His dark eyes widened as a bulky cart burst free of it's latches and came barreling their way!
Without thinking, Jace shoved all of his weight at Jasper- shouting, "WATCH OUT!" before the damn cart was nearly crashing upon him.

He wasn't sure what he was thinking. He wasn't some man with super human strength-
He was just Jace. Power only weilding in his dreams...
powers that only he could weild in this dreams....

But be it because he was chivalrous, and had this insane urge to protect screaming inside his head, he had grabbed the nearest thing to him- some rinky dink shovel compared to a barreling cart- SHOVED it clean towards the cart wheels to help off set it's balance when theshovel cat, snapped, didn't do a thing before it smashed into Jace's form, which was enough to off set it and send it wobbling into a nearby shed, (ironically not occupied) before it went crashing through it, and clammered to a halt at it's back walls- leaving the majority of it open, and ruined.

Where as the young man who had been the thing to offset it's rampaging direction-
he laid a bloodied heap upon the hill side road.

DragonSong

Everything happened too fast for her to properly see any of it. She heard the snap, the panic, was just turning her head to see what was happening when suddenly Jace knocked into her and sent her sprawling over the ground--

Out of the way.

For a long moment, Jasper could do little more than stare at him as a crowd slowly began to gather, murmuring. Then a strangled cry caught in her throat and she lurched to her feet, nearly tripping over herself to kneel next to him, muttering, "Don't be dead, don't be dead, please don't be dead..."

She wasn't heartless--she'd never have been able to watch someone be hurt, hurt because of her, and not at least want to help. But a lifetime of "look out for yourself" had taught her to weigh the odds, the cost and benefit, and this... Yes, Jace, had saved her, but she hardly knew him. She had no real obligation; she could have easily slipped back into the crowd and disappeared, left someone else to help.

But she didn't. She couldn't. And the worst part was she didn't even know why

visualspice

Jace didn't stir, blood coating his lips and face, and a large nasty gash ran up the length of his leg.