Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

City Limits

Started by visualspice, June 23, 2022, 03:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It was the last thing he expected to hear, and infact were things not so brilliantly fucked up in his own life,  he would have has so many sharp and cutting replies that her simple and very honest inquiry almost had him choke.

And then the very rare act came sounding, even alien sounding to theman himself, as Leif Arrant, Stone cold Duke of Castavar, unknown hero of the masked shadows and champion of the no ones...
Fucking began to laugh.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Reina waited, arms folded loosely over her chest and head cocked to one side as she observed him.

She supposed it was an odd question, given their locale. But...

Well. She could be a conniving little snake, when she put her mind to it. And she had an idea.

Quirking a single eyebrow, she waited a few moments longer then asked pleasantly, "Are you quite alright, your grace?"

visualspice

Leif afforded himself this luxury. When was the last time he truly laughed? He eventually calmed and eyed the Serenian.

"I don't think you're ignorant enough for me to explain myself, but you have my ears."

She, however, might have something worth a say.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Well, you see, I have a thought." She propped her hip against the vanity and trained her icy blue eyes on him, excitement burning in their depths though she kept her tone even. "I have spent the better part of the last few months familiarizing myself with Connlathian international diplomatic procedures and such. Unless I am missing something obvious, a foreign dignitary—such as myself—maintains diplomatic immunity so long as they cannot be proven to have harmed or intend harm upon a Connlaothian citizen."

She laced her fingers in front of her skirts, tossing her hair back in a slight nervous habit before she continued, "There is no provision I have come across that exempts mages from this law. So. Theoretically, if a member of Connlaothian nobility—a Duke, for example—were to host a Serenian diplomat and scion of a noble house, such a diplomat would legally be considered part of the host's court and retain her diplomatic immunity in regard to the use of benign magics."

She smiled at him. "I could really study here. Without my family breathing down my neck, I could hone my craft—and they wouldn't be able to complain of my lack of ambition, because I'd be pioneering diplomatic relations with Connlaoth. And you would have a mage in your court—which, considering last night's events, might prove very useful to you. Everyone wins."

visualspice

Leif regarded her.
"You're serious." He shook.his head, looking away before returning his gaze back to her.

"You smoke?" He asked after a moment,  flicking open one of the buttons on his collar. He then went about loosening the buttons on his wrist cuffs.

DragonSong

Reina sighed.

"No. I don't. It's not a healthy habit, you know."

She waited a moment, then confirmed, "And yes, I am quite serious."

visualspice

"Well I smoke. You got a light?"

DragonSong

She sighed again and rolled her eyes. "Can you contain your field? It will be much simpler for me to light it with magic than to go hunting for a pack of matches in this place."

True, fire wasn't her strong suit, but all she needed was a spark. Mage-gifted babies could handle that.

visualspice

Leif raised a single brow, not getting what she asked before he realized what she said.
"It's not something one controls, " he replied, tartly. Then he turned from her and sighed.

He wasn't about to wait for matches, so he began to climb the nearest piece of furniture and precariously lit his cigar off the flames from the room's small chandelier.

visualspice

Leif stepped down, puffs of smoke lightly circling his form.
"I wasn't waiting for matches " he told her bluntly.  Or even magic,  it seemed. He took in a good long drag before exhaling in the direction behind himself, the smoke wafting up around and fading beside his dark hair.

"I don't think you understand Connlaoth, " he said after a time, almost chewing over his smoke, it's thoughts .

DragonSong

She shrugged. "Perhaps I don't. But you could teach me." She gave him her most winning smile. "You do still owe me for your life, after all. So tell me—what don't I understand?"

visualspice

Leif took in a long drag, the smoke curling into dissipating wisps between them. Then he exhaled the smoke away and told her simply.
"War."

DragonSong

Her eyebrow quirked higher. "Well...naturally. I am not a soldier, your grace. No matter how well versed I may be on mechanics and tactics, I will never truly understand war."

She crossed the room to look out the window, down into the street. So much like back home, and yet so different. "Why do you believe this war to be an insurmountable thing? There are duchies coming out in support of mages' rights, are there not?"

visualspice

Leif frowned. It must have been nice to be so naive.

"As long as the Grand Duke commands it, mages are still royally fucked."

DragonSong

"Connlaothian mages, sure," Reina replied with a shrug. "To my eternal gratitude, I happen to be Serenian. I think you underestimate just how very much the right diplomat positioned in the right court can get away with."

visualspice

Leif thoughtfully chewed on her words. She had a very good point- for despite the war and it's politics, those wishing to remain trade partners and in good standing with Serendipity in the south...
their mages were nearly immune to all the bull shit.

He could have smiled. Maybe he did.

Smoke drifted casually between the pair.

"I'll... consider it..." he eyed her, bemused. "Your family that rotten?" he then added, taking another long drag.

DragonSong

Reina sighed and leaned back against the wall, closing her eyes as her head thumped gently against the damasked wallpaper.

"They really aren't," she replied after a moment, sounding tired. "They just... They have a very specific idea of the way I'm meant to live my life. I happen to disagree."

She opened her eyes and let her head lull to the side a bit as she looked at him. "How long should I give you to consider the offer? We'll be in the city for the next few weeks, at the least."

visualspice

It was strange, somehow these pair- who seemed to have had little in common, just seemed to have a lot in common. At least, know Leif had a better understanding. He could respect what she meant. He too, had always lived at odds with his parents- and even the political bull-shit infested world he had to live.
And she wanted to trade one bull-shit world for another.

He slowly breathed out more smoke.

"Are you trying to avoid a marriage back in Serendipity?"
She seemed a bit old to be unwed. And if her match wasn't too pleasing...
That he could also understand. He never thought it right to pair two strangers together for gainsay of money and power...

However, his own betrothed.. his own wife...

Well, she had been a different story.

DragonSong

Another sigh, and Reina abruptly pushed herself off of the wall to flip back along the bed side him, hair spilling haphazardly over the mattress as she stared balefully up at the ceiling.

"Not specifically," she muttered eventually. "But once my brother is engaged in wedded bliss, which is happening sooner rather than later, well...I'm the only other child left for my parents to meddle with."