Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Desperado [M] (Giraffe)

Started by Nightcrawler, February 23, 2024, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

The ladder was rotted to shit — literally — but it held as they scrambled down it. Finally, Fletcher's boots hit muck, and he stepped aside to give Olwyn room. As she descended, he unwound his jacket and tugged it back on. He held a sleeve to his nose to block out the fetid stench of wastewater. "Fuck, that is nasty," he commented, and the sewer tunnel carried his echoing voice into the dark.

By the looks and smells of it, they had found what they were seeking: the city sewer network. The tunnel was easily three times his height at its tallest point, and it amplified every little sound. The ladder had descended onto a raised service walkway, and Fletch was thankful for that. A few feet away, that walkway dropped off into a flowing river of raw sewage. He gagged at the thought of wading through it. That smell would never come out of his clothes.

Above them, the scuff of boots on stone grew louder. If the two of them couldn't find a way to shake their pursuers, it was going to be one hell of a fight. And, much as Fletcher loved a good brawl, he wasn't keen on this one. Maybe laying eyes on the bracelet had tempered him. Maybe having a well-meaning stranger with him changed the stakes and made it feel too risky. Whatever it was, at this particular moment, he preferred running. And to do that, they'd need to slow the guards down. "Watch out," he murmured as Olwyn planted her feet on solid ground. He waited for her to step aside, gripped the ladder, and tore with all his might, snapping it free a few feet from the top. He swung the broken bottom half and released it to land with a deafening crash along the walkway. "Enjoy your broken ankles, chaps," he grinned. "Come on. Let's find a way out."

wandering_giraffe

The smell was going to kill Olwyn. It was the kind that felt like you could feel it. The stench was overbearing, and it took all concentration to just climb down the ladder into a place where the smell was worse.
"This is not fucking normal what the fuck is wrong with my people," she muttered, half to take her mind off of the smell and half because she genuinely was wondering if Connlaothians were quite right in the head.
Finally, her feet touched solid ground, and she let go of the ladder and turned around.

Fuck.

The walkway they were on appeared to quite inconveniently just disappear into foul, acrid filth. One could not tell how deep it was either.
How was one supposed to breathe down here?

Up above, Archtaryx had been rescued from his unfortunate prison by guards. He was angry. He had had a perfect record. No jailbreaks under his watch. Until Olwyn came along.
No, he was going to catch both of them. And they will both rot in a cell.

The thuds and shouts stopped as the guards and Archtaryx reached the open grate.
Archtaryx stood at the top, an unnerving smile on his face as he stared down into the darkness.
"And so the fox begins his chase," he muttered to himself, signaling to the guards to put the grate back on.

Jack Daw ripped the bottom half of the ladder and threw it, revealing an old, decayed skeleton leering at them.
Olwyn shrieked, discovering a fear she did not know she had until just now, leaping behind Jack Daw.
She cleared her throat and hesitantly looked at the uninviting sewage.
"I guess we have no other choice but to go forward."

Olwyn ripped a small part of her skirt and folded it lengthwise, before wrapping it around her nose to help dampen the smell.

And as they stepped off the walkway into the sewage, Olwyn wanted to die.
"So uh...where are you from, Jack Daw?"

Nightcrawler

"Fucking hell, woman," Fletcher hissed as they started off into the dark. He rubbed at his ears. They weren't bleeding. They felt like they should be with how loud she'd just screamed. But he quickly became more preoccupied with how fuck-awful the stench was down here, and his complaints about her outburst stopped there.

"Just Jack's fine," he replied, choking on the air and burying his face in his sleeve again. "Not here. Not Adela, either. People up here keep trying to put me in that box. I don't even know where that bloody box is." They carried on in silence for a little bit, though Fletch could swear that he heard someone rapping on something up ahead. There was just enough light from the grates for them to make their way forward, and...yeah. One of those points of light definitely kept flickering. Like a shadow kept passing over the top of it.

Fletcher shrugged it off and picked up the conversation again. "You don't look like you're from here, either. Almost everyone up this way is a ghost."

wandering_giraffe

"I desperately hope there's a way I can change out of these burn trash pieces and get into clothes that don't make me feel like I'm a walking germ."
They finally made it out of the worst of it, and there was another walkway, which they got onto.
"Solid ground, finally!" But there was a noise coming from above.
"What the—-is that a raccoon?"
She couldn't tell. It was too big for a raccoon.
"It's...complicated," Olwyn sighed, answering Jack.
"You're right though, I'm not from here. Honestly, I don't like Connlaoth much—-" she trailed off as she studied the grate above.
"What is up there?"

Nightcrawler

Fletch barked a laugh into his sleeve. "If you'd rather fight a prison worth of armed men just to smell pretty, you're welcome to turn back anytime, love." He glanced up as the scratching sound grew louder. Olwyn noticed it, too, now. It would start at the grate above them, and then move along to the next one down, and then the next, as though it was... "Following us," Fletch muttered. He groaned as he realized what it was. "Aw, fuck it all, Aya, you shit-for-brains."

He turned to address Olwyn. "Not a raccoon. Wish it were. A raccoon would be SMARTER." That last word he called up through the sewer grate above them. He could just barely hear a little whine in response before the massive wolf-dog trotted off again. "Bloody dog's going to fuck up any chance of a stealthy exit," Fletch grumbled. "I'd be prepared to fight if I were you."

wandering_giraffe

"Oh, that's your dog?" Olwyn asked.
After what felt like hours of winding tunnels, the tunnel they were in came to a dead end. There was one final grate, and sunlight was streaming through it.
There was a ladder, luckily, and it wasn't as rotten as the first one they encountered.
"What's the probability that there's guards waiting above us?" Olwyn whispered quietly to Jack.
"Maybe your dog scared them away," she said hopefully.

Nightcrawler

Fletch snorted. "Definitely not my dog. She won't listen to a damned thing I tell her to do." As Olwyn stopped, he stopped, too, and put his hands on his hips as he squinted up at the little slits of sky above them. "Dunno. Depends on how smart your friend is." He glanced over at her. "Would he know where to follow? You want to try and chance it? I don't think I can stand this smell much longer."

wandering_giraffe

"I don't know...but I'm getting out of here," Olwyn decided, climbing up the ladder, and with much difficulty, opening the grate and pushing it to the side.

There was a dog.

A beautiful dog.

Olwyn practically became a kid again.

She cautiously held out her hand. The dog was huge!!
What did Jack call it? Ara? Aya?

"Aya? Awww you're a beautiful dog! Who's a good girl, who's a good girl?"

Nightcrawler

Fletcher climbed up after Olwyn, only to find her already smothering the mutt with attention. Aya seemed to be well pleased with this, though she did make the mistake of sniffing Fletcher's unlikely savior and paid the price by launching into a sneezing fit at the smell. Then she lifted her head and sniffed again. She pushed gently past Olwyn and approached Fletch as he stooped to drag the grate back into place.

"Don't reward her for it," he grunted. "She doesn't need a bigger ego." He straightened up and eyed the dog skeptically, hands on his hips again. "What? I don't have anything for you. Go pretend to be starving and beg from a butcher. You're good at that." But Aya edged closer, nose still working until she pressed it into the side of his pocket and breathed deep. Fletcher's face fell. "Oh," he said as he realized what she'd found: the bracelet. The smell of her master's hair. He set a palm to her muzzle and pushed her away. "No...come on, now. He's gone. You know this. Stop bringing it up."

Fletch sniffled and shook his head. "Fucking dog." He glanced about to get his bearings. It seemed that they'd popped out at the edge of town near the city wall. They could try to leave through a gate and risk being seen...or they could find somewhere quiet and bide their time. When he spoke, he seemed gruffer than usual. "Erm...look...Miss Olwyn. We should find somewhere to lay low. There's no way it was this easy. Do you know a place where we can hide out until this blows over?"

wandering_giraffe

Olwyn was grinning from ear to ear just looking at the dog.
"You must treat her well," Olwyn observed, gently petting Aya.
"Can you sit?" She asked the dog.
Aya seemed smart.
She remembered the task at hand, and turned her attention back to Jack.
"Hm? Oh yes...a hiding place. There is this one place we could go to..."
"Follow me!"
And with that, Olwyn turned, and led them down a dirt road that roughly followed the city wall.
There was this building, butting right next to the wall, that was the same color as the wall, and had a simple Connlaothian flag flying above it, making it seem like it was an outpost.
Olwyn led them right into the nondescript building, where a jovial man with a leather apron and a skillet slung round his back was sweeping the floor.
"Ah, lass, brought me some more, aye?" He stopped sweeping and his eyebrows rose at the sight of the dog.
"A dug? Ya know the rules here aboot dugs..."
"But this one is super smart!" Olwyn protested.
"Awa' n bile ya head, bonnie lass," the man argued, but Olwyn merely walked past him.
"Kkärsvig, the dog has to stay. Or we go somewhere else." That last part she didn't mean, they had nowhere else to go.
Kkärsvig shrugged.
"Do ya want somethin ta drink? The both of ya look drouth."

Nightcrawler

As they walked, Fletcher finally allowed himself a smoke. He'd thought it would help a bit, but it did nothing to ease the tension. They were on the run, the both of them. It was only a matter of time before their names and faces were plastered on every corner of this city. And now he'd have to set up somewhere else and start from scratch. He wouldn't have enough coin to feed himself for a long while, let alone that mangy mutt. He was still deep in thought and strategizing his next move when they approached an outpost. "Wait. In here? Are you daft?" he began, but she'd already barged in through the door and started arguing with a very large, very broad man. With one final glance over his shoulder, he tossed his cigarette to the street and followed her in.

"Ah, lass, brought me some more, aye?"

Some more? Fletcher mouthed to Olwyn behind the big man's back. Did she seriously make a habit out of jailbreaking strange men and bringing them here? He looked their apparent co-conspirator up and down. This poor sod, he thought. Then the woman started arguing about bringing the damned dog inside, and he scoffed.

"No, no, no," he butted in. "You want fleas in here? She stays outside. Go on. Get."

Predictably, Aya didn't go on or get. In fact, she sat pointedly at Olwyn's side, leaned into the woman, and wagged her fluffy tail with a little thump thump thump on the floor. Fletcher groaned and scratched at his head. "You fucking serious?" he muttered. He shot an exasperated look at Big Man as if to say, can you believe this shit? "Fine. I'm too tired to argue. But she's your problem now," he warned Olwyn. "Clearly not my bloody dog. And, er...no, thanks," he added to Big Man. "Appreciated, but I'm not much of a drinker these days. Erm...thanks for having me, though. And...sorry for the smell. You wouldn't happen to know where I could wash up and clean these clothes, would you?"

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig seemed to truly notice Jack for the first time. He stopped short and studied Jack.
"Aye, there's a wall divvied off with a auld peerie in the dost, there's a wooden tub. You can get water and heat it up on one of the ovens. It's not a loch, but aye it will do. Ye're lookin' a bit peely wally."
"Have I met ya somewhere before? A bata, perhaps?" He questioned, before picking up the broom and putting it back in the corner behind the door.
"O, whit's fur ye'll no go bye ye," Kkärsvig said, pointing in the general direction of the kitchen.

Olwyn, meanwhile, was delighted with Aya.
"Awww you're just a cuddle baby yes you are!"
"I could go for a wash myself."

Nightcrawler

Fletcher squinted, nose scrunched, as he tried to make sense of that thick accent. There was a pregnant pause after Big Man finished. He blinked. Then...

"Erm...sorry...what?" He thought back to what he had heard and slowly pieced it together. "Oohh...Have you met me? Is that what you're...? Erm...no...I think I'd remember your, er, voice." Unless I have a twin running around out there, he thought. In which case, emperor save the lot of them.

Fletch sighed and addressed Olwyn. As he did, he grew serious again. They had matters to attend to before either of them could take a breather and wash up. "We need to have a little chat, you and I. Come on." He passed her by and ducked further into the building, searching for a little bit of privacy. He found a quiet side room and beckoned her in. The dog slipped in last. Fletch scowled at Aya and shut the door. He turned, his good eye now regarding Olwyn with a piercing, skeptical gaze.

"Right. Look," he murmured, keeping his voice low. "I'm not ungrateful for you bailing me out. Really, I'm not. But I need to know what in the hell is going on, here. There are easier ways to recruit a merc. So why the prison, and why me?"

wandering_giraffe

Olwyn followed Jack into the room, leaning against the wall with her arms folded.
"Why the prison and why you? Simple. Reason number one: The most skilled people almost always end up in prison. At least in Connlaoth. Reason number two: asking around in a prison won't get me arrested. Well. At least, not until today when we almost got arrested.
Honestly, it was kindof coincidence, I was just going to ask whoever happened to be under Archtaryx's watch today. But I didn't miss how you were prepared to fight."

Nightcrawler

Fletcher stared. He blinked. "The most skilled ones stay out of prison. I did something mighty stupid to get myself thrown in there. So did the rest of em. But...fine. Alright. Supposing I believe you. You want to track down the ones who murdered your parents. I can help, sure. Any merc worth his salt could, but...what's in it for me? Especially now that we're on the run and all. Stakes are pretty high."

wandering_giraffe

"My parents were ridiculously rich...left me their estate and a huge amount of money. The money is hidden in a vault somewhere. Name your price. But I don't just want to find the people who killed my parents. I want those bastards dead," she said.
Olwyn dug out a small leather pouch.
"In here is 100 pieces of silver, plus one small emerald. It's yours, plus whatever you want from the vault."

Nightcrawler

Fletch eyed her curiously, his suspicion slowly fading. The tension in his shoulders began to ease. He glanced from Olwyn to the pouch, then down to Aya, then back again. But it wasn't the money that his thoughts turned towards. "You're...serious, aren't you? You really want them dead."

He took in a deep breath, released it in a sigh, crossed his arms, and drummed his fingers on one bicep as he considered what she was asking of him. He still didn't have the full story. Sometime between now and drawing a knife, he'd need it. "Much as I'm a merc by trade, I don't make a habit of offing strangers without proof. You want that, you find an assassin. But here's what I'll do. I'll help you find them. Seems like we've already got a lead, anyways. And if, along the way, I decide that I believe that these people deserve punishment, then I'll take them out. Otherwise, you're on your own in that regard. Deal?"

wandering_giraffe

Olwyn punched the air and let out a celebratory "yes!", and then hugged Aya.
She then cleared her throat and looked at Fletcher.
"Deal."
She handed him the pouch, and looked towards the door.
"I don't know about you, but I'm stinky, and tired. I'm going to take a bath and go to bed.
She looked towards Aya, and grinned.
"You're such a good dog. Don't let Jack tell you otherwise." And then she left.

Nightcrawler

Fletcher did a double take. "Wait. Bed? I think we need to skip town after dark, don't y— "

But the woman left the room before he could finish. He made a grating noise in his throat and stared at the open door. "Unbelievable," he grumbled before remembering Aya. "Don't listen to her, dog. You're a right pain in the arse. Only reason she doesn't see it is you're both the bloody same."

Sighing, he slipped through the door and found a quiet place to wait. When it was his turn, he took his time scrubbing the shit smell off of every part of him, then emptied the tub and refilled it and got his clothes. His trousers he pulled back on damp. There was nothing that could be done there without giving the girl a proper fright. His shirt, coat, socks, and boots, however, he hung up near the fire to dry. He knew they wouldn't get all the way there. If they did leave town that night, he'd be miserable in them...but it beat the hell out of stinking like a sewer.

When all was done, he sat down, shivered, and waited for Olwyn to wake up, resolving to knock if it grew too late.

wandering_giraffe

Olwyn took a bath, sighing with relief. Finally she didn't smell like an abomination. 
It dawned on her then what Fletch had said. He wanted to leave tonight?!?!
He was probably right though. They couldn't afford to sleep. 
So she went into the room and fixed herself as best as she could so she didn't look like she had just practically swam in a sewer, then, sighing, opened the door. 
"You're right," she half grumbled to Fletch. 
"We should leave now, before—"
A commotion out in the tavern sounded. 
The guards had found them.