Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tense First Meetings [Jackie Cat]

Started by Ethereal-Star, April 15, 2015, 02:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

The Draconi Forest was quiet today, or at least this part of it was. Towards one section of the woods there was a cave with a waterfall out front. The water poured down a fast rhythm while its occupant was inside, preparing a cook fire to cook some of the meat she had acquired. A couple rabbits were now slung over a spit, close enough to the fire but not too close so that they cooked evenly throughout. A golden-haired elf of otherworldly origins sat behind the fire, occasionally turning the spit with a pair of tongs on hand, eyes completely focused on her task of making her meal.

Once the rabbits were done, Calabell carefully took them off the spit and laid them onto a piece of clean scraped wood since she had nothing else to use for a plate and set about devouring the food with a pair of makeshift chopsticks, really just two sharpened sticks she had peeled the bark clean off of, and sharpened the tops of them into points with her knife. Taking the last bite of rabbit, she finished licking the juiciness off of her fingers, then proceeded to rearrange a blanket she had spread out near the fire and laid down to rest for a bit.

Closing her eyes, she began to slowly drift off but kept one eye open for danger. It was something she had to learn how to do, and it wasn't too difficult considering her kind were light sleepers anyway. The slightest noise could wake her up. This of course, had its downfalls too, as it a lot of times prohibited her from getting any sleep at all! But it was better to be tired and cranky, than wind up as lunch for a basilisk or behemoth of a spider or something else equally nasty.

Calabell wasn't asleep long when a noise did in fact wake her. Sitting up, she grumbled as per usual, letting out a curse in Clarion, the language of the Bright Elves, and proceeded to get up and take a look. If it came into her cave, it was toast. More meat for her, that is if it was an animal. A person she would kill and then toss their stupid corpse out the exit, but far enough away from it. Not only to avoid being detected and some foolhardy do-gooder come to 'teach her a lesson', but the smell as the corpses decayed was absolutely horrendous. She definitely couldn't stand the stench. Not to mention the pesky flies.

Elven eyes piercing the dimness around her, helped out by the fire dwindling as it was, it still provided enough light for her to see by, including her enhanced elven vision. There was nothing in here that shouldn't be in here. Walking outside, she scoured her surroundings but it was even darker out here, her enhanced vision not able to pierce complete darkness. Summoning a faint light, she held the orb in her hand as she looked around, the shadow cast by the light bouncing around on the ground and nearby trees. Still nothing.

Thinking about what she should do, Calabell waited a bit longer to see if anything or anyone would show up. Hand grasping her knife by her side, she extinguished the glowing light and waited. Staying utterly silent, Calabell hid in the shadows, lying in wait to pounce upon anything that came near. It was only survival mind you, living in these woods had taught her such. Usually any 'visitor' that came by was not of the friendly kind anyway. Training her ears, she listened for the smallest hint of a sound out of place here.

JackieCat

Kirl cursed, something she didn't do very often.  She and the hyena, Oax, were walking through Draconi Forest, in the middle of the night.  The hyena and young woman had been traveling all the previous day and into the night, but now they were looking for a clearing or dry spot to stay the rest of the night.

Kirl usually didn't make this kind of mistake, waiting to make camp when it was already dark, she was an experienced forester and traveler, and knew to make camp while there was still the light of day.

But she had been so eager to finish the trek through the forest that she had neglected to choose the wise course of action, and now the two were trudging through the dark woods.  Oax was fine, in fact, she was quite content in the dark.  Hyenas are nocturnal creatures, and Oax could see just fine.  Kirl wasn't doing to bad either, she had very good senses, but she was tired, after walking all day.

It was then that Kirl saw a pinprick of light ahead.  A fire.  She drew her daggers and she and Oax silently advanced towards where the fire was.  Kirl was no fool, she knew that whoever had made the fire was nearly as likely to want to eat her as to want to help her out.

By now she and Oax could see that the fire was inside a cave.  The fire was dwindling, but Kirl could see a silhouette of someone as they moved past the fire.  Kirl cringed as she stepped on a twig and it snapped beneath her boot.

The figure disappeared from Kirl's view and the young woman took a step to the side, hiding herself behind a thick tree trunk.

Kirl could sense the animals all around them, and in the direction of the cave Kirl sensed a rabbit fleeing.  She saw the fire go out, they had been detected.

She readied her knives and Oax crouched down, ready to attack.

My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

The snap of a twig reached Calabell's keen ears and she tensed, coiled like a spring as she too readied herself for an attack. Eyes trying to pierce the thick darkness around her, she could only see the generic shapes of trees, bushes and plants that were around her. She could have sworn she saw a humanoid figure dart behind a tree some ways away from her current location. Not to mention some kind of animal or creature with it.

Carefully maneuvering around the grassy ground, the elf did her best to avoid stepping on twigs or pebbles or anything else which would give away her whereabouts, trying to once again catch a better glimpse of what she had seen. Looking back at the firelight from her campfire inside her cave, the flames had mostly dwindled, going low with a few burnt orange embers glowing in the circle of stones, leaves and moss there. There was only the barest hint of a couple tongues of flames present now. Obviously whoever was here would have spotted that and no doubt been on their guard.

Calabell resumed her careful observations of the area. There. she thought with glee. The bright elf saw the shape of a boot poking up from behind a tree some yards away. She calculated the exact distance in her mind. Twelve feet away. Withdrawing her sharp knife, she slowly advanced once again doing her best to remain silent. Getting closer, she was now only three feet away and the bright elf could see a leather-clad figure with a dog-like creature nearby it, the latter pounced on all fours and ready to strike. Slipping behind a tall bush, Calabell ducked down behind it and again assessed the situation.

Peeking over the top, she saw them and studied what she was able to discern in the darkness. Definitely a figure in leather armor, a human most likely, garbed in a cloak that hid their features for the most part. She couldn't see their face for it was covered in deep shadows underneath the hood. The glint of weapons could be seen, as well as the top part of a bow slung over their back. The dog-like creature was fairly big, but it did not look like a wolf or coyote. Calabell wasn't sure what it was, but it definitely bore canine characteristics. Teeth flashed in the night as the animal remained in its attack position, claws digging into the ground beneath it. It was obvious the two were a team. Two against one, she thought. Not a problem.

The elf waited a moment longer before creeping up even closer using the bushes and trees around her as sufficient cover. She would address the issue of the animal first, then focus on the person. One and a half feet behind the duo, she raised her blade, ready to strike!

JackieCat

Kirl was no elf, but she knew the ways of rangers and used her sixth sense to help her.  Still, Oax discovered the elf half a second before she did.  She spun around as soon as Oax did, also sensing the presence of the elf. 

Kirl could hardly see in the dark, but she could see the glint of a knife and knew it probably wasn't there to help her cut her meat.

She swiftly raised her daggers, pushing one against the elf's blade, blocking the coming knife.  She swiftly brought the other around to attack, but Oax lept forward, making to knock the elf to the ground.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Blade met blade in a parrying strike as the other blocked her attack with one knife, the other heading towards Calabell at the same time. Since Calabell was focused on the creature before her, she was able to dodge the animal's lunge at her, but not before the knife the human wielded lightly grazed her arm in the process. Blood dripped down her arm but Calabell ignored it, spurred on by the fight itself.

Twirling around in a circular motion, she made to strike at the animal again as canine fangs flashed at her in the dark at the same time keeping an eye on the human as best she could.

JackieCat

Oax skidded on the forest floor as the elf dodged, but the hyena twisted around, making to attack again.  But the elf's knife slashed across her shoulder, deep.  She yelped in pain and blood started to flow, but she continued to fight, she would not let this elf stop her. 

Kirl's eyes flashed in anger when she heard Oax yelp and saw the blood in her fur, but Kirl would not lose her cool.  She switched her fighting style to defensive rather than offensive, and she tried to look into the elf's eyes.

"Stop!  I don't want to fight!  Look, we will retreat."

Kirl's eyes were very much adjusted to the dark now, and she leaped backward quickly, lowering her daggers, but not dropping them.  Seeing Kirl's choice of action, Oax leapt back too, but she, as well as her human friend, stayed alert.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

But Calabell wasn't ready to stop. After all, they had intruded on her space! "I don't take orders from a lowly human and her canine pet!" And she evened her weight between two feet as the bright elf positioned herself for another attack, this time at the human girl.

Brandishing her knife, she leapt at the human with the intent to slice across her neck!

JackieCat

Kirl lifted her daggers again, but she didn't use them. 

"Wait!  I really don't want to fight!"  Kil said, but she saw that the elf was readying herself to attack again. "You must stop!"  Then she frowned. "And Hyenas are not, in fact, canines, they have their own unique family, they are called Hyaenidae.  Actually closer to cats than dogs."

She said this hoping to distract the elf, and, somewhere, she really wanted her to know that hyena's were not canines.

As the elf attacked, Oak leaped forwards, with the intention of knocking the elf aside and away from Kirl.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Calabell ignored what she said and was just about to slash at the human's neck when her hyena companion she called it, knocked her away from her target. The elf did not lose her footing, only being knocked off-balance a bit causing her knife to cut air instead. Of course, this only made Calabell angrier and so made to attack the hyena again in the same spot as before.

JackieCat

Oax screamed when the dagger slashed at her shoulder once again, in the same spot as the last time.  Blood poured from her shoulder, and the hyena couldn't stand on that leg.

Oax had fallen to the ground when she had been cut, but now she scrambled to her three working legs and limped around behind the elf. 

Then she leaped forward, meaning to bite the elf's lower leg.

When Kirl saw Oax get cut once again, she immediately took the offensive again, fighting furiously against the elf.  But she still tried to talk.

"Stop this!" She shouted. "This fight is even, and you know it!  Nothing can be gained from this, for either side!  You must stop!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Making to slash again at the hyena creature, Calabell missed her mark when the animal went around behind her to bite her in the leg! Furious, she made to lift her foot wanting to kick the thing and hard.

"You intruded on my home! Now you will die!" And the Bright Elf saw no reason to stop fighting, being driven on by adrenaline as she was, this battle was on as far as she was concerned.

JackieCat

As the elf made to kick Oax, the hyena opened her laws and tried to bite her foot.

For the second time that night, Kirl swore.  Couldn't this elf stop fighting?

"Fine!  We'll leave!  If this is your territory, we'll go, no one has to die!  Can't you see how juvenile you're acting?  You're acting like you were born yesterday!"  Usually Kirl didn't use insults, but these were true, and she was ready for this fight to end.  But she could see the elf wasn't going to stop.
Then Kirl had an idea, but she hoped it wouldn't backfire on her. "Wait!  If you stop, I'll do a favor for you!  Not killing anyone, but we'll do something for you, just stop this!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Calabell's kick at the hyena creature missed its mark as the animal lunged for her foot to bite it. She grunted in pain as the creature's jaws bit into her skin through her well-worn boot. In retaliation, she made to swipe her knife in a downwards arc toward the creature's eye, while yanking her foot back at the same time.

"The only favor you can do for me is to die!" Calabell screeched, her emotions running at an all-time high now. In her heightened state of anger, it would be very difficult for Kirl and Oax to calm her down, their best bet being to subdue her somehow.

JackieCat

'Well, this elf defiantly is crazy,' Kilr thought as the elf screamed her words.  Kirl was really starting to resent this elf, if the elf had stopped fighting when the girl had asked, then maybe they could have reached some understanding, but now Kirl kew that her and Oax's only option would be to knock out the elf.  Hopefully they wouldn't have to kill her, Kirl hated killing, but if it came to it. . .

Oax dodged out of the way as the elf stabbed at her face.  The dagger missed her eye, but scratched a long mark down her cheek.  The hyena looked to Kirl, and quickly sent a message, as Kirl could communicate with most animals.  Not through words, but through feelings, emotions, pictures in thought.  Kirl nodded at the hyena's plan.  She slashed at the elf to distract her and Oax leaped at the elf from the front, aiming right at her chest, her maw aimed for the elf's throat.  Her aim wasn't kill her, but to knock her over, and hold her teeth to her throat so she would drop her weapons, then Kirl would be able to capture her.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

It seemed that their plan just might work. As Kirl swiped her knife again at Calabell, the bright elf deflected that attack with her own knife but failed to calculate for the hyena leaping at her throat, and therefore knocking her down flat on her back. Calabell's weapon fell out of her hand as the ground rushed up to meet her and she was temporarily dazed from the impact. The gray haze in front of her eyes would only last about ten seconds but it might give her opponents the time they needed to tie her up and subdue her.

JackieCat

As the elf fell back, Kirl kicked the elf's dagger farther away from her and quickly unhooked the coil of rope on her belt.  She grabbed the elf's wrists and quickly, but very tightly, tied them together.  Oax sat on the elf, pinning her down with her teeth to the elf's neck as Kirl tied her.

Kirl nodded to the hyena and Oax raised her head from the elf's throat, but the razor-sharp teeth were replaced with an equally sharp knife at the elf's neck.

"Are you okay?" Kirl asked the elf, crouching next to her.  Oax still pinned the elf down.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Calabell tried to struggle and kick out with her legs as the human and hyena subdued her, tying her hands together so she could no longer fight. It was to no avail though and as she felt the hyena's teeth being replaced with that of a cold blade at her throat, she stopped her struggling, but only reluctantly. Glaring into the large green eyes of the human scum above her, the aether elf could only stare hatefully at her opponent.

"Funny you would ask that considering the weapon at my neck!" the elf hissed, spitting out her words like venom.

Since the animal was still on top of her, holding her down, Calabell could not see where her knife went to from her horizontal position, nor could she attempt to feel for it either. Not with her hands tied together.

Continuing her murderous glare, her eyes then went to the hyena's, and she snarled angrily. "Get your filthy dog off of me!"

JackieCat

Kirl sighed. "I told you before, she's actually not a dog, more like a cat in DNA."  Oax did not move from the elf as Kirl continued.  "And I really do not want to hurt you, you left me no choice but to defend myself.  I was walking through the forest, I had no idea you lived here, and then you attacked.  Was I supposed to let you kill me?  No.  Life is what we all strive for, and I am not going to forsake mine for no reason."  Kirl frowned. "Why did you try to kill me?  I did nothing to harm you or the land you live on."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Calabell sneered. "I do not like trespassers near my home! It's the only home I have now! Now get your pet off me!" She bucked a little, trying to throw off Oax from her sitting position on the bright elf's chest.

JackieCat

Oax growled in the elf's face and then stepped off of her chest, but she still sat near, always ready to attack again.

"I understand that this is your home, and that it may be the only place you have left to go," Kirl said, he dagger still at the elf's throat, "but that doesn't mean you should kill everyone that happens to, unknowingly, be traveling through."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor