Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What are YOU?

Started by fancycat, August 10, 2015, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fancycat

Tanglemane lay lounging on the top of the gigantic granite boulder there above the trail.  It had been a boring day thus far.  Still, she was patient and the sun felt so nice on her wings.  A dozen sparrows nestled around her.  She always had liked sparrows, and for some reason, they could sense it and would come and sing to her as she lurked.

And then...  The sound of hoofbeats on the road!  Perhaps someone on a horse.  Such a good omen!  If they could afford a horse, they could afford to have some gold or silver.  Mmmm.

Imagine her surprise when a Cabustaur rounded the bend in the forest and into view.  It was enough to make her tail fluff up.  What is a Cabustaur?!  That's what she was wondering too.  As the creature drew up under her rock she peeked over and purred, "Roses are flowers.  And violets are too!  I know what a sphinx is, but WHAT are YOU?"

Not knowing if such a big creature would be hostile or not, she stayed ready to turn and fly away.

Orif

Orif was traveling through the forest rapid...until he spotted a Sphinx, a half woman, eagle and lioness creature.
He had never witness one before but he heard stories of Sphinx once from the elders, and he knew Sphinx is very intellect.

He looked upon the Sphinx with a curious sight, he asked...
'Are you a Sphinx? What wind brings you here to this piece of solemn green?'
His speaking were much better than he first met a Cloud nymph, but was still speaking with his unique dull voice.

fancycat

Tanglemane pondered a bit as she considered the question.  "What wind.  Well, the winds of opportunity!"  She started to smile and her pointy cat teeth could be seen for a moment.

"Sometimes I lay on this rock and wait for a person to walk by.  Then I leap down on them and make them answer a riddle."  She gaves Orif the most innocent of looks and purred like a house cat, "It is what sphinxes do."  Then she lifted a paw and said, "Don't worry.  You're much too big for me to pounce upon.  You're safe.  I only leap on smaller people."

"You may call me Tanglemane.  Or Sphinx.  I answer to many names.  You won't attack me since I didn't attack you?"

Orif

Orif peered at Tanglemane, eyed her carefully, estimated her intention.
'I shall not, if you come with peace...' Orif said. 'I am Orif, a Cabustaur of the forests, once the guardian of hunter and woodworker.'

The Cabustaur wandered a bit around Tangleman, before he raised another question.
'What is the reason of asking riddle? And what would happen if one cannot answer it?'

fancycat

Deciding it was relatively safe since this creature could talk, Tanglemane leaped down from her rock and onto the path.  There she sat, rather in the way as is the custom of cats.  "What is a cabustaur?  I have not seen such a thing.  Are all like you?  You have green fur!"

She considered his next question then, "What is the reason of riddles.  Well, sphinxes can often see the future.  So many come to us wanting advice.  We speak riddles so that they'll be dissatisfied and not visit too much."  Her tail wiggled behind her then and she admitted, "And, sometimes we just ask riddles to be monsterous."  Again she looked as innocent as possible, "And, what happens if someone gets the riddle wrong?  Well, truthfully, it depends on the person.  Some I just let go.  Others, well, I tear up their clothing with my claws.  And others, I make comb my hair for me in trade for their freedom.  I'm a sphinx.  We're monsters don't you know."

Orif

Orif looked Tanglemane leaped from the rock and sat on the path, he was wondering in his mind a very interesting question, 'Is this creature coming to him with a reason? Or purpose?'

However a question from Tanglemane interrupted his flow of thinking, she asked, 'What is a Cabustaur? I have not seen such a thing. Are all like you? You have green fur!'
He peered at Tanglemane while she was asking, he nodded to her, said, 'Our kind is the very ancient race, we live in the woods, we guided the traveler and hunter whom bold enough to visit the green and we ensure them not to brake to balance inside the trees...however...that was an old story no longer telling from anyone...anymore...'
He paused for a moment before continued, 'And yes, most of my kin are like me, with green and white fur.'

Orif paused again...for quite a long while, he spoke again.
'You, sphinxes can see the future? It must be interesting, how it feels like to you?'
He paused one more time, raised his chest, he looked down to Tanglemane, muttered.
'Monster or not, it is depends on how people think...and actually...That does not even annoy me.'

fancycat

Tanglemane listened to Orif with a curious look.  "Sometimes I guide others.  But more often I leap down and attack them!  Usually with a riddle."  She giggled then and admitted, "It is what sphinxes do."  Her purr softened the and she purred, "You have given up protecting the forest then?  That is a shame.  I like trees.  Sometimes I use them to sharpen my claws on by scratching them.  Is that bad?"

When Orif turned the questions back on her she pondered just a bit, "It feels strange to see the future, or other places.  Sometimes I know the fates of others.  But, I cannot see my own future or fate.  Once three wise men came to me wanting to know what would become of them.  They gave me a gold necklace.  So I told the first one that he would marry and have eight children.  The next I told that he would marry twice and become moderately wealthy.  And the third, I told him that he would be captured and eaten by goblins before making it home from this journey."

She looked away and made her ears flat.  "Sometimes people don't like to know what will become of them.  And while sphinxes may be monsters, we do have some tiny bit of empathy I suppose."

Tanglemane turned the question back to Orif then, "Where are you going then, ancient one?  And why?  Are you searching for a new purpose?"