Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Riddle Me This! [Fancycat]

Started by Ethereal-Star, August 09, 2015, 11:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Zy'raxas hummed a draconic tune as she sorted through her pile of treasures. Among this gargantuan pile there were gold coins, silver coins, expensive jewelry both enchanted and mundane, a magical scepter or two, paintings, wood carvings, porcelain and marble toys of expert craftsmanship, and many more things of beauty and grandeur. The crystal dragon after all loved her shinies. And indeed they were shiny and sparkly. True beauty everything was, both in aesthetics and value.

Of course, many had come to her cave having heard rumors of a large treasure horde, some without knowing it was guarded by none other than Zy'raxas herself. She recalled that one bard man who stumbled into her cave that one time and chuckled. After an uneasy introduction, the crystal dragon merely having some fun at his expense, he had played for her a tune on his instrument before going on his way again. Others had been more hostile in their dealings and those were not such fond memories. Zy'raxas certainly had kicked their arses that was for sure. Being a dragon and all, much less an ancient one, there were few who could stand up to her might and live to tell the tale, save for other dragons.

Of course the mighty wyrm did not actively seek out violence, but if they brought it to her cave, well then beware her wrath. Only the foolish dare fight a dragon. Though there have been tales of those who made a living out of such. Dragon slayers they were called. And Zy'raxas had met plenty of them during her time on this earth. Yet none had bested her, though some had come rather close. She had had to heal for quite awhile after all was said and done. But oh, such dire thoughts were not what she needed right now if ever. Right now, the great dragon needed some fresh air. And fresh air she would have.

Leaving her cave and putting up the necessary wards, she lifted her wings in a magnificent stretch of crystalline beauty and took off into the air. She soared, white against blue, enjoying the freedom that provided as well as keeping a look out for anyone or anything of interest. The shape of a sphinx soon came into view from another direction as it too flew through the blue beyond.

Circling over the tundra some, Zy'raxas made to land, her crystalline claws touching equally white snow and permafrost. The sphinx should have also seen her, as it would be pretty difficult to miss spotting a creature of the crystal dragon's size. Icy wind blew through the area as she simply waited for the hybrid of lion, eagle and human to also reach ground level. Zy'raxas greatly looked forward to their meeting as everyone who was anyone knew that sphinxes had a love for riddles and intellectual puzzles. This one shouldn't be any different.

fancycat

Tanglemane circled high above.  A crystal dragon?  How could anyone miss such a thing as the sunlight threw gleaming reflections in every direction.  She was glad it wasn't trying to eat her and seeing the big creature land made her circle twice more in curiosity.  She still had eight of her nine lives so she decided she would take a chance.  For a few moments more she hovered so high in the sky, trying to remember the stories of how to greet a dragon.  Yes.  She knew at least one polite greeting.  So, she canted her wings to corkscrew positions and twirled in circles as she descended straight down, landing on two and then two more springy paws.  Ah!  Did she look dizzy?  Of course not!  Sphinxes thrive on confusion.

The sphinx lifted a big lion paw to her breasts and covered her feather bikini with lion toes.  "My, what shiny scales you have," she proclaimed solemnly.  Then she considers a bit, "The griffons have feathers;  The orcs they have slaves;  The wizards have knowledge;  And the dragons have caves."  She looked up inquiringly at the dragon.

Ethereal-Star

When the sphinx landed nearby and spoke in a riddling greeting, Zy'raxas smiled with big teeth of gleaming white and responded in kind.

"And the lions they roar, while hunting in great plains of green, while the phoenix birds of fire soar in skies so serene, far below the warriors clad in their metal suits, seek out their violent pursuits that doth take the form of coin and glory, while here before me I see a sphinx trade words of delightful intellect, in the white cold lands of the early morning."

The huge dragon tipped her head down in greeting, before saying in a friendly voice of booming might, "My name is Zy'raxas, oh charming sphinx, and it is a great pleasure to make your acquaintance."

fancycat

Tanglemane giggled softly as the dragon replied in rhyme and gave such a friendly greeting!  She prowled forward, just boldly rubbing under Zy'raxas' chest and pausing mid stride to flex wings up and dust those crystalline sides with feathery wings.  Bump!  Bump!  She brunted like a friendly housecat up between those front legs before circling her way back out to peer up at the dragon.

"I am Tanglemane, Seer of Visions, the Temptress of Mortals, the Appetite for Jewelry.  You're ever so shiny.  What manner of dragon are you?"  Finding even more curiosity luring her, Tanglemane trotted in a circle around the dragon, hopping her tail and coming up the other side, fluffing under and past a wing to end up under the dragon's chin again.  Finally she settled down, crouching in the snow and folding her wings.  If Zy'raxas was intent on being peaceful, it was only appropriate she be the same!

Ethereal-Star

Zy'raxas looked on in amusement as the sphinx circled around and under her, as though the dragon were just that intriguing to the eagle-lion-human hybrid. Once the smaller creature had settled down on the snow in front of her, she introduced herself as Tanglemane. For indeed the sphinx possessed a dark mane of unruly hair complete with golden cat eyes.

"Well, it is a pleasure to meet you Tanglemane, Seer of Visions. Appetite for jewelry, you say? Hmmm...." the crystal dragon considered these words, as though pondering something of great interest.

"As for what manner of dragon species I am, I am one of the gem dragons better known as a crystal dragon. Although, sadly enough there aren't too many of my kind left in the world."

The huge dragon harrumphed then, before directing the conversation elsewhere. "Being a sphinx, I can imagine you'd enjoy many a riddle or puzzle. So, I propose this. We trade back and forth various intellectual challenges in order to test our mettle and sharpen our minds. It's been far too long since I've been able to do such. What say you to this game of wit?"

fancycat

Tanglemane pondered the dragon.  A gem dragon?!  She rather wanted to extend her tongue and see if that dragon tasted like a gem.  Being the strange alchemically imbued sphinx that she was, gems tasted kind of yummy.  Like bacon!  Metaphorically speaking.  But, her lady half whispered that such a lick would be impolite and that if the dragon were 'room temperature' here in this tundra her sphinx tongue might stick to the dragon like a school kid's tongue to a frozen light pole.  She would have to endure the pain of wondering.

"Riddles.  We shouldn't trade!  It is not decorous as secrets and solutions are to be kept hidden lest the peasants learn them all and no longer be threatened."  But the sphinx didn't look entirely uncooperative.  Her tail was swishing, stirring an arc in the snow behind her.  "However.  If we were to put some measure of risk to the riddling, that would make such a thing acceptable."  She beamed a smile at the dragon hoping that the other would understand these peculiar karmic rules.

Tanglemane spread her wings and shook them to ruffle her feathers up some more, then folded them to shield her furry body against the frigid breeze.  "As a sphinx, I usually share a riddle with a victim.  If they get it right, I let them go.  If they get it wrong, I roar and knock them down and tear all their clothes off to search through later, then chase them down the road naked.  Them naked, not me.  But, I let them make a narrow escape since, well...  I don't eat anything but precious metals and gems."  She stuck her tongue out in disgust at the idea of eating flesh.  Bleh!  Then she continued, "Clearly such a tactic would be impractical with such a big dragon."  Is it because the dragon hasn't any clothes?  Or anything obvious to steal?  Or because the dragon is 10x bigger than the sphinx?

"I suppose I'm a bit at a loss as to how to reward or punish you!  Or vice versa.  I do propose we leave biting and scratching off of the list."  She whispered more secretively then, "You wouldn't possess any gold would you?"

Ethereal-Star

The dragon nodded her head sagely. "Fair enough then. I suppose I can accommodate your need for gems and metals. Though I would ask something tangible in return. A dragon after all does value their treasure." After all what dragon wouldn't?

"I propose this then. I ask a riddle, and if you answer it correctly I shall give you one single gold coin to quench your hunger with and in turn, you give me an item of your own choosing, any item at all, no matter what its overall worth may be. However if you should fail the riddle, you do not get any gold and you must still give an item, preferably something of equal, if not greater value to a gold coin. When you ask a riddle and I answer it correctly, you shall give me an valuable item as well. If I do not answer true, then I do not get anything and you shall get a silver or gold coin. I trust that this is a suitable arrangement for you?" With Tanglemane being a sphinx, Zy'raxas had little doubt the creature before her would fail many, if any, of these riddles she'd give, or vice versa. It would most certainly be a fun and worthwhile enterprise for the both of them.

Clearing her throat then, Zy'raxas began her riddle. "In corners of gray, where the shadows do play, the contrast of light and dark therein lie. As night is to day, and moon is to sun, separate but together, what is the one thing that connects them in its own intricate way?"

fancycat

Tanglemane squinted a bit at the dragon.  "What is this?  I have to give you something even if I get the riddle right?"  She hrrrrmed and batted at the snow a time or two as she considered.  But, the dragon did say it could be anything.  "Alright then!  Tis a deal!"

So she sat down, chilling her hindquarters in the snow as she looked up at the big dragon.  In corners of gray, where the shadows do play, the contrast of light and dark therein lie. As night is to day, and moon is to sun, separate but together, what is the one thing that connects them in its own intricate way?  She considered a few moments.  Surely the answer is light.  But, she couldn't help but give the dragon a suspicious look.  What if the riddle is devious?  Usually she is the one giving the riddles.  Getting them back makes one feel a touch...  Vulnerable?  Oh monsterly sphinx.  Finally she replied, "It must be light that connects them.  Yes."

Ethereal-Star

Zy'raxas made a sound of disappointment deep in her throat. "A good enough answer, but incorrect. The answer to the riddle is none other than time."

The great dragon gazed at Tanglemane then. "Now tis' your turn to ask me a riddle of your choosing. So, go right ahead, I am ready."

Zy'raxas adjusted her sitting position on the ground, tapping a crystalline claw on the snow and awaited to hear what joyous riddle she would be receiving from the sphinx.