Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Quest of A Lifetime, Part 1

Started by Ethereal-Star, August 26, 2015, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

@JackieCat @Whim @Hakan @Aura !

Finishing up her last batch of potions, Olwen corked the final bottle and labeled it. She now had plenty of potions for her quest. More than enough, actually. The only problem was being able to carry it all for now, although once she hired mercenaries and the like she could dole out to them some of the load she carried. The working table still had leftover bits of herb and plant roots on them, as well as several vials of magical water from the Meeting Place.

Cleaning all that up and putting everything back where it belonged, Olwen picked up her bag, her ritual knife inside it in the front pocket and made her way out of the laboratory. Passing by many mages both senior students and novices alike, Olwen nodded her head at them all as she made her way to leave the building. Her superiors had already briefed her on everything and that she was to meet a fellow mage, some kind of flesh-shaper she was told, named Ellis right outside the doors of the school. He would serve as adequate muscle for her and the others she would no doubt be hiring.

All the gold Olwen carried to hire the mercenaries was heavy which she carried in a separate sack inside her bag, but she dealt with it. She was to pay each mercenary a total of 150 gold suns up front and after the mission was through, an additional 50 gold suns would follow that. It would be a dangerous undertaking and she had to hire as many as she could find. She just hoped she wouldn't accidentally come across a thief though, but Olwen made sure the money was well concealed. Plus the summoning stone her teacher helped her craft would also prove useful, it summoning a celestial archon if she would need to call upon its services for any reason. It was just a precaution really.

Exiting the double doors, her feet touching the stone steps, Olwen looked around for this Ellis guy. She flipped her black hair back as a gust of wind blew it in her face, before once again trying to spot the man she had been given a description of.

Whim

Ellis was lounging on a stone bannister, using over-stuffed pack as a pillow. It made for a comfy one wih changes of clothes and food and alchemical accouterments and books in case he grew bored. He wasn't particularly thrillled about the journey. Magical artifacts, especially inorganic ones, weren't quite his forte. He reminded himself the whole endeavor might earn him a few favors down the road. And as a silver lining he just might see some new or interesting creature in the field, but that was probably too much to hope for!

Then he caught sight of the bloodmage he was to meet. She was almost as delicate-looking as he was. He didn't doubt she was severe; you had to be if you had a pretty face and wanted to be taken seriously. It was then Ellis wished he arrived late. It was her expedition, of course, and it would be a miserable affair if he started off earnest and servile. At the very least he wasn't going to stand up!

"You're Olwen?" the young man called out from his perch, brushing red-curls from his face with a lazy smile. "I'm Ellis Hargrove. I'm to accompany you collect the pendant and runestones, though I've not been briefed beyond that."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Ethereal-Star

Olwen's green silver-flecked eyes then rested on the young man with a mop of red hair. He was currently lounging about on his pack, using it as a pillow and looking quite comfortable there as though they didn't have some important mission to go on. Olwen frowned, but answered him all the same.

"Yes, I am Olwen." she said, eyeing his fancy clothes of waistcoat and silk tunic. Olwen's own garb was currently a red crimson robe of satin with the school's emblem embroidered on the front. "And yes, that's the mission. I can tell you more of what we have to do, once we get going."

Seeing as how the other mage made no attempt to get up then, Olwen crossed her arms over her chest and rose an eyebrow. "Well, are you going to get up or are you just going lay there all day? The artifacts won't find themselves." she quipped, flipping her hair back once more as the wind blew a strand of it in her face again. Olwen hoped that he wouldn't be as difficult on their quest as he was being now, but she supposed she would just have to see.

Whim

With a sigh Ellis leapt down from the bannister with a fluorish, bouncing on his heels. She was as terse as she looked. "Well its a pleasure to meet you too.

"And I assure you I'd every intention of getting up once I know where we're going. You're toting along some other hirelings I gather?" The youth took a step toward the cobbled streets of Jadenshine. He was hoping they'd be meeting somewhere nice for dinner - he could use a good meal before they went off into the unknown.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Ethereal-Star

"Oh, I had no doubt that you were just all excited to go. As obviously lying down on the ground like you were could only be indicative of such a thing. Having a great time sunbathing, I assume?" Olwen's voice was filled with sarcasm, the sass just dripping from her tone in big drops of derision.

"And yes, we are to hire whoever is willing to join us. It will be a dangerous mission after all." She shook her head and moved onto the streets, hefting her bag over one shoulder as it was pretty heavy.

"Our first stop will be to search the city here for mercenaries and other able fighters. Then after that, we will head on over to the next district and continue our search. We would also be smart to check out the various taverns and the like to talk to people there and find out more about where these artifacts are likely to be hidden and what exactly we'll be up against. Surely, someone somewhere would know something."

Olwen glanced at Ellis then, noting his slim appearance and colorful choice of clothing. It all spoke of style and grace. The blood mage supposed she should know more about her traveling companion as much as she could, and asked him the first question that came to her mind then. "So, you're a flesh-shaper, huh? What exactly do you do then? Reassemble body parts? Make golems of living flesh?"

Their school did in fact have a couple golem crafters that she knew of, one was rather surly in manner. The other she did not know much about except that they were both men. The ratio of male to female students at the academy leaned more toward the male spectrum, but with that said, there was no shortage of female students either. Just way more male mages and apprentices. In Olwen's mage group, there was one other female student besides her there, the rest being male including the teacher. At least most of the males there were good-looking and made for some nice eye candy, she thought with a smile.

Whim

"You expect me standing at attention? I don't even know where all his power you're ferreting out is going!" he sniped back with a wry smile, stretching lazily as they walked.

Ellis' eyes lit up and the youth grew more animated at the to explain his craft, "As for me? I don't do anything horrid like graft limbs together, that's hideous! Its more like  gardening; you plant a seed and allow the natural healing of a body to change it. I take a living thing make it grow larger or smaller, add characteristics of other animals, or change the species all together. Theoretically adding even a minute amount of elf or fey blood to a human would have astounding impact on the aging proccess.

"I'm much better at changing my own body, for the moment," he added sheepishly, after that mouthful. "So you draw magic from blood? Your blood?"

Sauntering through the streets the pair approached one of Jadenshine's more up-scale inns. It might have been able to pass for a manor-house by itself. The establishment was a favorite of the younger nobility, and social-climbers looking to join them. The young man had enjoyed it the few times he'd been. There might be a few flashy swordsmen amongst the rakes and gamblers. He tugged Olwen's sleeve.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ethereal-Star

"Gardening, huh?" Olwen shook her head, but asked another question. "So, what can you change yourself into? A monkey begging for a banana? An ape beating his chest in arrogance?" Olwen smirked at him as she said this.

"As for myself, yes I draw my own blood for numerous purposes. The most common usage is my healing potions that contain a tiny bit of my own blood in them. I use this..." she paused and got out her ritual knife to show Ellis, "To draw my blood with." The knife itself had a plain black handle carved with the runic symbol for 'blood' engraved on the base of it.

Putting her knife back in her bag, she followed the other mage to the inn. A rather plush looking place it was, draped with flowers and adorned with elegant gray and white statues at the entrance to it. The doorknob was of an elaborate griffin's head carved out of bronze. Entering inside, the first thing that Olwen noticed was the spacious look to it all. Couches and tables with chairs were situated in the common room and in the back was the innkeeper behind a long brownish counter, currently serving ale to some patrons.

One man with a black patch over one eye saluted Olwen as she came in, drawling out in a tone which clearly showed he thought he was hot stuff, "Hey babe. Wanna see a nice big pole?"

Olwen rolled her eyes and replied back, just as sassy as ever. "Sure, where's the guy who has such?"

Black patch man simply scowled at her and muttered something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like "feisty wench" before turning away to find easier pickings. Olwen merely continued on and sat down at the bar.

To Ellis she said, "So, you come here often?"

Whim

(OOC: Let me know when and where would be a good spot for the next adventurer to make an entrance!)

The scrawny youth rolled his eyes. He'd been compared to a lot of things before but never an ape! "I suppose I could, though I prefer to blend beauty and practicality. No sense in turning into some ugly, hairy monkey, mm? Aesthetics are important you know." He dug back with a small smile, briefly wondering what sort of person would put themselves through bloodletting like that.

Ellis glowered at the man with the eye-patch. The clientele was rougher than he remembered Olwen could take care of herself, at least. "I used to. I suppose they're letting anyone in these days. Maybe they've let in the sort we need."

Ellis' eyes wandered to the bar, avian statues carved into its corners. The young man walked toward it. He could use some wine. Also they should probably ask the bartender if there are any sellswords about.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ethereal-Star

"Let's hope so." Olwen flagged down the barkeep and ordered some house ale, which was three coppers. Once it was served, she turned back to Ellis. "And yes, I don't doubt aesthetics are important." Whether she was being sarcastic or completely serious or not was difficult to determine.

Looking around she sipped her ale, admiring the architecture of the stone birds. They resembled griffins, just like the doorknob to the establishment depicted. Both had jade encrusted eyes, which was a trademark of the province itself, aptly named for the green gemstone.

When the barkeep came back around, she asked him about hirelings. "You wouldn't happen to know if there are any mercenaries around here, do you?"

The barkeep, a grizzled man with gray hair and a beard, responded in the affirmative. "Why, yes, as a matter of fact I do believe I saw at least a couple around here earlier. Not sure where they went right off-hand. Maybe they'll turn up soon. Just keep an eye out for them."

Olwen thanked him and tipped him a silver coin to which the innkeeper gladly pocketed with a thank you as well. She looked around, keeping her eyes peeled for any such sorts.

((Let's let @JackieCat respond now, okay?  :) ))

JackieCat

Faelis Gindien stepped through the door and looked around, eyes raised.  It was a considerably fancy place, and the handsome elf assumed that most of the patrons here would have some money on them, money he could steal.  But Faelis was not looking for a victim to steal from, he was looking for a job.  A honest job.  Well, it didn't have to be honest, but all the same, he walked up to the bar and sat down on a stool.

He leaned on the bartop, brushing his long black hair from his golden eyes, the many beads, bones and rings in his hair tinkling quietly.

He waited for the bartender to come over and then he ordered a drink.  When the bartender handed him the ale a moment later Faelis stopped him as he turned away.  "Is anyone here looking for a mercenary, or anyone else to do a job?"

The bartender nodded. "As a matter of fact, that young lady right over there asked me not two minutes ago about a mercenary.  I don't know what kind of work she needs done, but she needs someone."

"Thanks," Faelis stood up, taking his drink, and started for the woman the bartender had pointed out.  As he walked over he brushed off his short black leather long sleeved jacket and brushed back his hair again.

He approached the woman and the young man she was with and leaned against the bar next to her, setting down his drink. "So, you're looking for a mercenary?" he asked. "What kind of work do you need done?"
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Taking another sip of her drink, Olwen caught sight of an elf walking up to her carrying his own drink before setting it down nearby. He had light golden skin and wore an assortment of beads and bones in his long black tresses, along with some feathers. Multiple piercings were all over his face too. He looked like some kind of street thug, albeit an elven one at that. But despite his rough and tumble look, he was also very sexy-looking.

At his question, the blood mage too set down her drink before replying. "I'm looking for able fighters to help go on a quest for my school." She offered by way of explanation. "We are to look for magical artifacts that my superiors want, more specifically a magical pendant, the only one of its kind and at least one of the runestones to be had. It is likely to be a very dangerous journey so myself and my fellow peer here need to hire as much help as we are able to."

Looking him up and down, she asked, "Are you up to the challenge?"

JackieCat

Faelis was aware of the woman looking him over, as he had a few moments before.  AS she looked over him, the elf's eyes flicked to the young man accompanying the woman.

He was youthful in appearance, but Faelis knew he couldn't be any younger than twenty.  He must have been at least somewhat wealthy, judging by his clothing.  How he held himself led Faelis to believe he was somewhat haughty, not unlike Faelis himself.   

"Am I up to it?" Faelis raised his eyebrows at the woman's question. "Most likely.  I'm a considerable fighter, and can be incredibly stealthy, as well as having s few other skills.  What kind of 'dangerous' are you talking about, anyway?" the elf asked, taking a drink of his ale. "Fighting monsters, wizards, curses?"

He wanted to know exactly what he was getting into before he agreed to anything. "And then there is the matter of my payment. . ."

And if he did accept the job, he didn't want to get cheated either.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"Monsters, traps, bandits, barbarians, wizards, curses, you name it, we might have to go up against it at some point." Olwen told him nonchalantly.

"The pendant is rumored to be somewhere in the Wester Highlands. Where exactly, well we need to talk to people to find out. And of course what to expect there. The runestones are scattered around the continent from what we already know and there are around six of them. However we only really need one. Maybe two. And don't worry about your payment." Olwen took a long drink of her ale then before she continued.

"I am to pay one hundred-fifty gold suns up front and then after the journey has completed, I am to pay each of you another fifty gold suns. Sound sufficient?" Raising an eyebrow at the elf in question.

JackieCat

Faelis listened as she explained the mission a little more.  He was well equipped to fight monsters, bandits, barbarians, and he was an expert on traps.  He wasn't as good with wizards or spells, but he knew how to defend and attack against such things.

He raised his eyebrows and nodded when she named the sum.  It wasn't bad, in fact, it was pretty good, but he wouldn't let it show how good he thought it was. "That sounds okay," he said, after all if you said the fee was good, they may just try to drop it on you.  Faelis would have none of that. "But how long do you suppose this journey will go on?  A week?  A month?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Olwen rolled her eyes at his comment, but answered him nonetheless. "Depends on many obstacles we come across." Olwen didn't actually know this herself but she guessed it could take some time.

"I mean, considering we have to traipse around a good part of the continent, how long would you suppose it would take?" She shrugged. "Perhaps a month, I don't know. Unless we happen to run across one or more mages who can teleport and can shorten the journey for us." She meant this in a sarcastic way, although the prospect wasn't completely far-fetched. They were after all in mage country. Olwen herself being a mage, but she didn't possess the ability to teleport.

"So, are you with us or not?"

JackieCat

Faelis shrugged and took another drink of his ale, still leaning on the bar. "Sure, what the hell?  I'm in."

He smiled crookedly at the woman and held out a hand. "Faelis."  He didn't say his whole name, after all, he was a wanted man in some towns, though usually the thief did a very good job of not being seen during his jobs, there were those very few times he had slipped.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Olwen shook his hand in greeting. "Olwen." she stated, also only giving her first name. She didn't see a reason to give her full name, even though she was proud of it. "Good to have you on board."

Turning to her companion, she introduced him as well. "And this is Ellis."

"And for your payment, give me just a moment." she dug into her bag discreetly, searching for the promised coin.

JackieCat

Faelis nodded to Ellis.  "It's good to meet you," he said to him and Olwen.  Then he watched and waited as the mage rummaged around in her bag for the coin he was to receive.

Faelis hoped this quest would be worth it.  He knew it would be dangerous, as she had said, but he hoped it was worth his time, and the money would be sufficient.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Whim

The young man extended a hand "Ellis Hargrove, Transmuter, and so very pleased to meet you." The elf was handsome and well-adorned. Ellis simultaneously admired and jealously reviled the stylish elf. He was used to being the prettier male.

"I'd meant to ask who our first lead was, Olwen," he went on. Ellis was almost a little suspicious. Or he hadn't paid much attention when he was briefed. "Touch alarming the pendant hasn't been seized if its location is known. I don't suppose you've any inklings?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ethereal-Star

Getting out a small beige pouch filled with the promised coin of one hundred and fifty gold suns, Olwen handed it to the golden-skinned elf. "There's more where that came from." she winked at him, flirtatiously.

To Ellis, she frowned and said, "I don't know much more than what I've already said. Vague rumors are in fact, not very revealing as to exact details. As for our 'lead', Professor Jonas had done some scrying in his office and detected a powerful object there that might be what we're looking for. Plus a comrade of his had informed him he had spoken to a scholar somewhere about in the Wester Highlands. Where this scholar may be, the last the Professor heard from his friend was he had stopped at an inn near here, I believe it was in the capital of Altas Verde. But that was a few days ago already."

Finishing the last of her drink, Olwen added one more thing. "After we finish searching for mercenaries around here, I suggest we head to the province of Altas Verde and look for this scholar. His name was said to be Harris White. Hopefully we'll run into him."