Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Staking a claim

Started by Anonymous, January 28, 2006, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The voice had grown louder during the last few moments, nearly approaching a normal conversational tone. However, the direction from which it came could still not be determined. It seemed to come from everywhere at once.

"How rude of me. I am, Leader, The Mighty, of the the great Desert Stone Civilization! No doubt my clan is known to you. How worried they must be about me! But blind as I was, I could not rise for fear of enemies nearby."

"However, now that you are here, I can rejoin them. I am most grateful to you really. I assure you I have no intention to cause violence anywhere, unless of course my enemies are still about."

Suddenly, the odd statue moved, seemingly detatching itself from the floor, and heading towards an exit, beckoning for them to follow. The voice sounded quite joyful by now.

"But come, we must complete your moving in! Are there any special requests you have? I can take care of nearly anything! Since you are among the first, you will of course have the most spacious and wonderful quarters I can create, at least until more residents move in. I'm quite large, but even I don't have unlimited space you know!"

Malk looked to Ep. He wasn't quite sure what to make of the whole situation.

"Do you think we should follow it? I'm worried about what's happening in the city, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this."

Anonymous

Ep backpedaled a bit as the figure moved away from the wall. He thought, By all the scorpions in the desert! It's some kind of living statue! The being continued to speak as Ep took a moment to recompose himself.

Malk looked to Ep. He wasn't quite sure what to make of the whole situation.

"Do you think we should follow it? I'm worried about what's happening in the city, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this."

Ep digested what the stone being had said, but quickly came to the conclusion. "I am intrigued by what... Leader has to say. However, his concern for his enemies only emphasize my concern for our present enemies." Ep turned to Leader. "I do not know whom your enemies could be. You speak as if this building is yours, but it has sat within the walls of Essyrn as long as I can remember, and I cannot recall seeing you before. Your enemies surely cannot be around at the monent, unless they are the ones who have invaded Essryn this day. Would you like to take a look at them, Leader? Otherwise, I would have to say that your request for searching for the rest of your clan will have to wait until Essyrn is safe once more."

Anonymous

Hmm… Looking around, Jaiha could see who was from Essyrn and who wasn’t. And this fellow who was making another speech wasn’t, as were the odd dark creatures with the pointy ears. Her eyes turned a stone sort of yellow colour and she rose her posture slightly, her tail kept close to the ground and her wings pulled to her back. Being approached by someone made her move back slightly and grab hold onto Syraes hand. Jaiha didn’t like being the center of attention, and this is exactically what this fellow was doing. Why was he bowing? Why was he talking to her? Jaiha bit back the instinct to hiss at him and only moved closer to Syrae, and looked at the bowing creature oddly. Lady Dragon? She was a dragon…? Okay, so she resembled one, and that’s what she thought she was half of… But was it that obvious? Her eyebrow narrowed as she remembered her words to herself to act like a meanie. Letting go of Syraes hand, she glared at Kerrigan. This was one of the thieves!

�It mussst be your fault that no one isss happy because we killed the Sssandworm. I don’t like you very much at all, thief.�

Just because she could, and it would probably make him a little worried about being mean to her, she waved her tail slightly. Purposefully, she caught the blade on sunlight to it flickered and caught attention. Her tail, which alone could probably knock down someone twice the size of Syrae if she put umph into it, was what worried most people about her. The blade was a good two feet long and had a few scratches in it from use. It looked like metal, but wasn’t made from it, and it appeared to be light, with the ease she had waving it around. Jaiha crossed her arms across her chest and ignored the horrid smell of worm guts that rose off of them, it wasn’t as if she could smell it anymore, though the scent would probably linger once the duo had baths. The draconic girls bravado faded and she once again took a step back and pressed her hand into Syraes, her eyes still on Kerrigan and her features still angry. The bird made Jaiha look oddly, wow, if she and Syrae could catch one of those everyone could have a feast… cutting its neck wouldn’t be too hard. It wouldn’t be hard at all, her tail was probably as long as it was tall, and, just because she could, she moved her tail to the side and had the blade at around her elbow before she stood up ‘tall’ which wasn’t tall at all.

�No one wants you here. Leave.�

Her mouth was a thin line and she raised her chin, if she didn’t know she looked ridiculous when she was all stretched, she’d have done that, but, she did, so Jaiha wasn’t going to. If only she was tall like Syrae. Rather, if only she had normal legs like Syrae.

Rhindeer

Syrae still didn't know what was going on--he didn't have the good hearing that Jaiha did, but from what he had gathered, yep, something was going down and it wasn't good. It soon became painfully obvious what was happening. Well, maybe not obvious as to what specifically was happening, but...the people dispersing through the crouds? With the black skin and white hair? They stood out like fresh camel-dung in the sand. Okay...that was kind of mean. But Syrae was pretty sure they were responsible for whatever was happening now, the reason why so many people were on their guard. Alright, Syrae could see they were armed, but...why would people be edgy about them? There didn't look like there were that many, and they were all kinda short.

Er...well...really short, Syrae thought, raising an eyebrow. A good half foot shorter than him at least.

So...what was the big deal? They might just be a traveling caravan or something. Or...if they were hostile...and that was kind of what all the signals and stuff were getting at...then...why didn't they just take them?! Like, now! On the spot! They were midgets and there weren't many of them; Jaiha could step on them like bugs for Goddess' sakes! Bah. Hostile or not, Syrae thought they should stomp them anyway for drawing all the attention away from them--attention which should rightfully have been theirs! Best day of their lives right here, and they'd been thwarted by midgets, and Syrae liked attention far too much to want to share the spotlight with some underdeveloped creeps.

...Well...Syrae wasn't that tall...but still...he was feeling rather spiteful right now toward these...people. Feh. Well...

At least they probably couldn't kill a sandworm, too! Because they were most definitely not awesome enough! Like them. Heh.

Syrae made sure not to walk too fast so Jaiha could keep up, even though she was clinging to the back of his shirt, which kind of impeded his progress anyway. As they drew closer to the square, he was also able to better hear what was happening, even catching some statements. He caught something about someone not "ruling" them, but "directing the city", and he felt his face scrunch up into a sort of "what the hell?" expression. These people...they...wanted to <I>direct the city? What? Who did they think they were? A couple of nobody midgets wanted to direct Essyrn? A big city that had been running just fine for the last, well...Syrae had no idea how long. but a long time! He thought he'd caught some statements before that, but they were faint...so maybe he'd just heard wrong, because they'd sounded bloody flippin' insane!

Whatever the case, Syrae had determined that he did not like these people...and that they had better not be trying to do what he thought they were.

He felt Jaiha grab his hand and his attention drew over to the man that was suddenly approaching them. He looked different from the other ones that he'd glimpsed, and--much to Syrae's surprise--he was actually tall, about his height. Jeez. Well, since he was so tall, he must be the ringleader, because he still looked basically the same as the others, and he wasn't someone he'd seen before, so that made him "one of them". Syrae shifted his grip on his spear--which, like the rest of him, was still all plastered with worm guts--and it was tempting to whack the guy over the back of the head with the flat side of his blade when he bowed and called Jaiha "Lady Dragon", the protective side of him flaring. Right! Just go ahead and call her out on her looks! Jerk. Jaiha was sensitive about that, Syrae knew it, and it made him twitchy and defensive for her.

Instead, he just shifted his weight from foot to foot and gave the man a level stare while Jaiha replied to him, and he gave a nod. Damn straight. Evil victory stealer...

"Why are you here, anyway?" he asked bluntly while Jaiha did her little intimidating thing, waving her tail around--which, truth be told, even still intimidated Syrae, and he'd known her from childhood! Of course, he'd also seen what she could do with that blade--like neatly slice up a sandworm, which they had killed! And he also had a few scars from it on his right arm, as well, from accidental cuts, mostly from when they were kids. Heh. That thing was lethal.

He nodded in agreement as Jaiha told them that no one wanted them here, and to leave, and gave her hand a squeeze before taking a step in front of her. "The only directing you can do is in your dreams...no one's interested. Go home. And take your..." He gave a glance toward the huge bird behind the man. "...mutated chicken with you."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

The crowd milled about behind Kerrigan in order to get a better look at what was going on. Despite any feelings of resentment or anger they felt towards the newcomers the crowd wanted to hear more. So even despite the fact that Kerrigan had apparently forgotten them to pursue Jaiha, they continued to watch expectantly. It seemed they were unwilling, however, to get close. They milled around behind Kerrigan, possibly in order to stay out of his sight (which of course did nothing of the sort) and kept back a few metres. They all stay at Jaiha with mixed expressions. As a whole they seemed somewhat jealous of the attention she was getting, but also thankful that they were no longer the focus of Kerrigan's attention. They stared intently at her, as if trying to find some quality that they had missed that would make Kerrigan so interested in her.

Kerrigan remained unfazed by the crowd, in his many years he had faced many a staring mob. He kept his head forwards, although his minds eye was still probing Jaiha. He noticed something that was not at first apparent, his magic was blocked by her skin. When he had searched her insides the first time he had not been specific with his magic, he simply wanted to look in. So that’s what happened. It was apparent now that his magic had flown through the fleshy parts of her body not protected by her resistant skin, her eyes, her ears, her mouth, her….other major opening, ahem. But now he tried forcing trough the skin. With a bit of pushing he managed it. He had never met any resistance before, who knows; maybe she would even feel it. He puzzled over it for a moment, before being brought back by her accusation. The sssandworm? What on earth was a sssandworm? Then the gore covering her, and her little companion, connected with the large creature lying in the background. Oh, he hadn’t really noticed it before now. “A fine kill,� he replied, “and I’m sure you will be appropriately recognised for it. I’m sorry if I have stolen your moment, but I assure you that was not my intent. But even if I have stolen your attention I am no thief, I represent House Vharzyym.�

As he watched her tail move about like a snake waiting to strike, it struck him that she might not no what House Vharzyym is. Oh well, she could ask if she didn’t know. He fought the urge to laugh as she tried her very best to intimidate him. She looked, well funny, a child trying to wield their fathers sword. She was disproportionate, as if she had just started a growth spur and was unsure of her own feet. As for the boy, well Kerrigan ignored him completely.

“No one wants me here? So you speak for the city then? Well than you are definitely the person I need to speak with then.� It was an absurd question, said in rapid succession so as not to allow a proper response. He knew full well she was no one of any importance. In fact he wasn’t quite sure what he was doing. Was he toying with her? Was he just wasting time? It was one or those very rare moments in Kerrigan's life when he just went along with it.

Anonymous

The strange stone being continued walking down the hall, not even pausing as Ep addressed it. However, the voice continued to remain at the same volume it had since it first spoke to Malk.

"It is odd that you have not met any of my clan... we were once quite often travelling through this area. It is possible that some have gone to ground as I have, or perhaps they were driven off of this land."

Malk chose that time to interrupt. This being seemed able to carry on a monologue for quite some time, and haste was required.

"Please Leader, we need to find out what is happening in the city. I'm sure we can help you later, but right now we have quite a large problem."

the odd stone figure had come trotting back into the room, and now stood motionless by the door.

"I may be able to help you. As leader of my clan, I was often required to play the role of diplomat. Unfortunately my enemies weren't very keen on negotiation... However, first I must ask if you would please follow my avatar into my courtyard, and then I can finally have a look around. Then we will see about saving this Essryn place."

((OOC: Sorry I haven't posted in a while, been busy and writer's blocked lately))

Anonymous

"Your pardon, Leader," Ep began. "If the enemies outside are the ones you speak of, your own, do you truly wish to reveal yourself immediately? It was reported that there are enemy soldiers roaming the city. I could get you a veiled robe with which to hide your... avatar until you confirm the identity of the invaders."

Ep wondered at what Leader meant by "avatar." This stoney being is not Leader? Where exactly is Leader hiding? Why is Leader hiding his true self? Can we trust him to negotiate on behalf of Essyrn? But if the invaders are Leader's enemies, he would know best how to handle them. These thoughts swirled through Ep's head while he waited for Leader's answer.

Trust. It all comes down to trust. Leader does not seem harmful, just strange.

((sorry it's short again, this just popped into my mind before proceeding outside))

Anonymous

Chadur was grateful that something interesting was finally happening. He had been in this damn city for weeks and they still didn't know the meaning of respect. They refused to offer him tribute in exchange for a promise of later services... for that matter, they refused to accept money. All of his food, his water, his house â€" not that it could be called a house, really, it was more of a hut, just something to keep the damn sand out while he slept â€" had had to come from creatures he summoned on his own.

And then Vharzyym had come. They had style. They had magic. And they had an understanding of the advantage that gave them â€" if every one of those soldiers had even half of the talent their commander had displayed, they very well could be running this place. Now, they were a bit wishy-washy about their goal... were they conquering the city or just "helping" it? But it came down to the same thing either way. These guys were powerful, and they were looking for recruits.

And then there were these two, who were babbling about killing a sandworm â€" as if that would earn them any respect. He could call forth creatures that would make a sandworm's blood curl, and what did he get for it? "That's great, buddy, but if you can't put it to work you better find something you can." The commander,  though, he was a different story altogether. He was someone Chadur could understand, could even put up with listening to... for the time being. He had no doubt he would rise in the ranks with ease once he was officially accepted. For now, though he made a greater spectacle out here in the desert, all eyes were focused on the strange newcomers. Even his, though he was just waiting for the chance to offer his services.  It seemed that until this creature was done being humiliated, however, he would have to wait his turn.

Anonymous

The voice seemed almost agitated now.

"You are correct that it would be best to send my avatar out at first, until I confirm who these invaders are. However, the avatar, like myself, cannot sense the world outside my body before I have a resident. Obviously you haven't resided in a Villar before, but I promise that the experience is most enjoyable. All your needs will be met. As soon as we complete your moving in I will send the avatar out to accompany you. Please, it won't take long."

The small stone and brick avatar remained motionless by the door, awaiting their decision. Malk sighed and leaned against the wall.

"What do you say Ep? We've probably missed whatever is going on outside by now, and it can't hurt to have an ally. Whatever Leader is capable of, I'm sure it will be a surprise to the invaders. Unless they are the same as his enemies, in which case we may have the same cause anyway."

Anonymous

Ep shook his head. "'Move in?' I couldn't do such a thing right now. I would need to consult my wife, who is rather satisfied, as am I, with the small home we have now. Perhaps I will mention it to my little sister who keeps complaining about wanting a quiet space of her own... What am I doing, discussing housing arrangements at a time like this?

"I apologize, Leader, but I feel I am being remiss in my duties to the city. We are in a tense situation. I need to at least check on the current status of the invaders and citizens. Malk, if you will excuse me. I will return shortly."

With that, Ep left the building. He paused a moment in front of the doorway in order to allow his eyes to adjust to the sunlight. No one seemed to be in any distress outside, no screaming.

Ep suddenly realized that he was still holding his hilt in his hand. Was he that nervous about Leader? Tucking the hilt back into his sash, he reflected on his impression of Leader. No, he thought, Leader cannot be a part of this invasion. I just don't get a bad feeling about him.

Moving about Essyrn, Ep took note of all he saw. Everyone was certainly acting cautiously, remaining alert but also calm. As he passed by a pair of the invaders, he wondered once again what kind of beings they were, what could they be capable of doing, whether they could all kill with merely a gesture. It would be difficult to stop such an enemy. Well, we'll just have to cut off all of their hands then, if that's what it comes down to.

Ep approached the market square where the invaders first appeared, but was distracted by something close by: a sandworm carcass. It was about twenty-five feet long, and slashed up quite badly in many places. The hot sun was already beginning to bake it, to stew the juices of its body and help spread the unsavory aroma to a wider audience of noses. What is this doing here? And why was it mauled so terribly, so cruelly before its death? Is this another facet of the invaders' plan? Some kind of display of power?

Ep stopped his line of thought. He couldn't stand playing mind games. Trying to figure out the enemy's thought processes was just a waste of his time. More experienced heads than his would figure it out.

However, looking towards the square, Ep saw two of Essyrn's residents confronted by a new presence. Those... two... children! Ep fumed. They were covered in what was obviously sandworm guts. This is why they were told not to go hunting on their own. They need to understand that prey must be given a merciful death, one as painless as possible.

Ep walked the outside perimeter of the square, asking a question here and there of the onlookers. He learned that the large man had flown in on the giant bird sitting in the square (who Ep thought needed to be hooded, for the safety of the crowd. The bird was looking somewhat hungry.). The man claimed to be the leader of the invasion force and was currently propositioning Jaiha. Ep chuckled inwardly at this. Many of the people of Essyrn thought she and Syrae were quite the pair. Romance at a time like this. Heh.

Things seemed stable right now, so Ep hurried back to Leader's dwelling. Perhaps Malk had learned something more about the mysterious being.

Anonymous

Two drow stood in the building that had been turned into the current Vharzyym HQ in the city. They stood alone, standing gaurd by the door. In the middle of the room, an orb of darkness appeared. It instantaneously grew larger, about six feet high and equally across, a perfect circle. One of the gaurds, who was the other of the two mages who were chosen as members of the "boarding party", could feel its immense power, and could feel even more as a boot came out. In a matter of seconds, three beings stood in the room. The supreme overlord of Vharzyym, the Warmaster, and a small girl. Venorik was adorned with shining red and gold robes which openly and numerously bore the Vharzyym insignia. In this attire, his weapons could be seen. Well, his earthly ones. A small pouch hung from his belt, and a small hand crossbow was strapped to the leather beside it. Small traces of his wrist and ankle bands could be seen, which each held ten small daggers on the inside. Another pocket which he had strapped to his robes held inside his two flails. Strapped on his back in a way that would not limit his mobility was the small hilt of his double bladed flame sword. His ring, Enkyz, which shot spouts of fire depending on the intensity of his will for the flame, could be seen on his right hand. The blades of Qee'lakstreea, which were inside him, a physical manifestation of the demon, obviously could not be seen.

" Nobody will now that we are here." he tells the two gaurds. " And you will watch over Amana." They both simply nodded.

" Now.." he told the mage. Qee'lakstreea broke through the drows mental barriers without stopping, and absorbed all the infromation that Venorik required. The demon sorted through it and fed it to the overlord's mind at amount he could comprehend. After a few minutes, Venorik seemed to come back from an episode of daydreaming with a smile. It seemed that his brother's slaughter had not gone over well, which they had never thought would, but it was fun nonetheless. Kerrigan was trying to smoothe things over, which was a fine way to handle things, and most likely the best way to handle the predicament, but the fact was that it was not his orders. There was a good way to handle things, and there was the Vharzyym way. Smoothe things over, make then love you, need you, depend on you for the survival of their economy, but you could never, never, leave enemies to cause thoughts contrary to what you taught, trying to burn down the webs of lies and deceit that was the fabric of the structure of power in the beginning of a full governmental takeover. There was also noticeable movement between the city and a direction in the outskirts. The mage had scried further through the area in that direction, and had found a building which was assumed to be the meeting place of what the mage had theorized was the largest of the resistances forming throughout the desert community.

" You have identified many of the conspirators which traveled and came back from that area." Venorik said, not a hint of question in it. It was a statement, an acknowledgement that it was to have already been done, but it was still answered with a yessir. " Have them exterminated. Make it look like an accident as much as possible. The people will know, but they cannot have proof. We will deal with their headquarters personally." He finished, looking to make sure his plan had Kerath's approval.

Anonymous

Checking to make sure there were no passers-by, Malk stepped out onto the city street. He'd finally begun to make sense of Leader, a strange creature indeed, and now it was time to make sense of these invaders.

Behind him shuffled a small figure, wrapped in desert robes, head covered and face muffled. If one looked closely they could see that no flesh covered it's form, merely blank stone.

Malk hoped that the disguise would fool any casual onlooker. A close inspection would reveal the avatar, but otherwise he was quite happy with it. Of course, it left him without several articles of clothing, but he was still decently clad. Besides, the storm seemed to be passing over the city streets, leaving the walkers untouched. Odd now that he thought of it. A storm this size should have sent the citizens of Essryn running for cover.

Staying behind as Ep left (the younger man could take care of himself), Malk had decided to undertake the strange ritual Leader had called "moving in." It was quite unlike anything he had ever experienced, and was perhaps a bit disconcerting. However, now he had a surprise in store for the invaders if needed. Something they would never expect in a thousand years.

Leader had seemed quite pleased that Malk had partaken in "moving in." Even now, the silent voice in his mind chattered on, expressing wonder at the environment around his avatar. He had seemed quite surprised that a city had been here. Apparently last time he had observed this spot it had just been another vacant space in the desert.

The enigmatic being had asked quite a few questions about the city, which Malk answered as well as he could. Strangely, he had seemed most concerned about the location of any unused buildings. For what reason Malk couldn't guess. Now Malk was taking this "avatar" thing to view the intruders, to confirm whether they were his old enemy or not, and if he could do anything to help. From what Leader had told him about the Villar people, he was quite sure the odd creature could help their cause.

First of all, he would try to meet up with someone who could tell them what he had missed while conversing in the abandoned building. He wasn't sure where Ep had got to exactly, but there were others who could surely help them. After that, he would try to round up the council again, to decide once and for all what course of action to take. This time, Malk had a plan. Hopefully they would not be interrupted again.

If all went well, Leader would gain as many residents as he could ever want.

((OOC: No, I'm not saying too much about Leader yet. If you really want to know, his stat page reveals pretty much everything.))

Anonymous

“New recruit Chadur reporting! Sir, please allow me to deal with the resistance that has come up already. They’re really not very impressive, and you would better off here, dealing with the enemies who haven’t revealed themselves yet.â€? Chadur drew himself up imperiously. This would be fun, a chance to show the city of Essyrn just how much of a mistake they had made in refusing his protection. He whipped out a few iron rods â€" some of the strongest he could find, preparing to pump energy into them but not actually calling anything yet, and let out the mental equivalent of a whistle, calling the few creatures currently in this world to him. “If I could impose upon you to have one soldier accompany me, I can clear the way for you to do much more important work.â€? And get his revenge at the same time. His spies had followed them for a time, and though he no longer was keeping an eye on them, he knew what way they had gone and who was in the group.

And there was one of them passing by now. Whatever he was up to, he would make a good example and a fine starting place. Well then, with clearance from the commander, he would begin.

Anonymous

" Yes, Chadur. Proceed." Venorik said, then dismissed the soldier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeks had passed. Nothing was turning in Vharzyym's favor in the barren city of Essyrn. They had gained their money, yes, but control was not something that would be obtained easily without a full out war in the streets, which seemed inevitable. Venorik would not waste resouces on it. He had gained the wealth he wanted out of the city. It was time for Vharzyym to withdraw. He telepathically ordered his officers to take the men back to house Vharzyym in Zantaric. The mages could eaily transport them. With that done, He took Himself, Kerath, and Amana through a portal of his own from the small room they had gathered in. Essyrn would go back to the way it was, or at least, it now the opportunity.