Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I am the sourball in the candy jar of goodness! [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 15, 2013, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Owl didn't get much sleep that night. She was awakened early by her handmaiden pulling back the curtains and announcing with entirely too much cheer that she needed to rise and shine and get ready for the festivities later on, which left her confused and groggy--until, with a smack of realization, she remembered the party!

Another noble family was hosting a formal ball and she and her family were attending, of course. Her father had a strong working relationship with Lord Feldyr and they were a strong, old family that was wealthier even than them--and they had a son that was a little older than her, too. With a groan, she flopped face down into her pillow until her handmaiden dragged her out of bed.

The rest of the day was spent in misery. She didn't normally mind being fussed over, having grown up with it, but she hated it when she had something to hide. So she made sure to pick out her dress first (one that was low-necked enough to please her mother, but with long sleeves to hide her arm) and when it came time to bathe, she sent her handmaiden away on a mission doomed to fail, since she didn't actually own the shoes she described to the woman, but insisted that she did and that she absolutely needed them.

And so she managed to bathe and dress without being caught, only needing her handmaiden's assistance in lacing her up, and though her wound looked worse, she cleaned and dressed it as best as she could. If she endured the night, she could figure something out later.

With her pink hair worn down and loose, pulled from her face with a bejeweled hairnet, and her lips stained and cheeks rouged, she was ready to face the night.

As ready as she would be, anyway. Even though she grew up in dresses, it felt strangely unnatural.

Time to lose Owl, stop playing pretend, and become who she really was.

But as she rode with her family in their carriage, she longed for the streets.

They arrived at the Feldyr estate, and no sooner had she stepped from the carriage with the footman's help that her mother started fussing for the tenth time that night, fixing her hair and adjusting her dress. Einin tugged at the bodice when she was done; she didn't want her tits hanging out.

"Remember to stand up straight and hold your head up proud. Let the man see you're a woman now!" she said with a smile and a kiss on the cheek, and adjusted her dress again. "You got 'em, flaunt them, honey. That's what my mother always told me. Now smile! And actually talk to the Feldyr lad this time, hm? This is a very important night for your father."

She linked arms with her daughter. "And you're getting far too old to remain unwed."

And so Einin smiled and walked with her mother up to the gates of the Feldyr estate, where a uniformed man stood checking names off a list and ushering people inside. Her father was already there with the invitation, and they were soon waved inside.

The ballroom was merry and festive, and Einin went through the motions, greeting lords and ladies she'd met before, and ones that were new to her, and dragging her feet toward the Feldyrs. She'd met the lad before, and there was nothing wrong with him. But this matchmaking business did not excite her.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, never arrived early to an event. He usually tried to arrive last, it was good for catching the attention of all the attendees. But tonight he had some business to conduct with Feldyr, and he wanted it out of the way before the little bird got there. So when he arrived a good half an hour before the festivities were to begin, the servants were unsure what to do. He ignored them mostly, walking in with a young woman in tow, to find the house man not far inside.

"Vineck, I have business to conduct with your master, and I'm sure he'd like it as much as I would, to have it completed before the party. I'd be grateful if you could fetch him, or get his instruction on where to lead me for our meeting."

Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, didn't have to wait long for Vineck to return. Men like him never waited long. He was lead to Lord Feldyr's study, and the man waited there with two cigars in hand. As he entered he signaled the young woman to stay outside.

"Vineck, could you have a servant fetch my beautiful date a drink while she waits. Perhaps if there is a free house boy, he could show her the gardens. That's a good man." And Ryk tossed the house man a gold coin for his troubles.

He turned back to Feldyr and the man had a cut cigar held out for him. He reached for it, and let the man light it as he puffed. "I know you prefer I not tip your servants, but I must make an exception for Vineck. He puts up with my ridiculous demands," he motioned at the papers Feldyr had spread out, "Shall we?"

Her family did not arrive as early as Ryk would have thought they would. There was some talk that a match was to be made between their families. The boy Feldyr seemed a bit young to getting married in Ryk's view of things. Leave weddings and business to men, not boys. Lord Feldyr seemed practical enough to realize this, but Einin Beirne wasn't getting any younger, and he probably recognized the power he'd gain by marrying her into his family. A servant he had bribed ran up to him with word that her carriage had arrived. He politely excused himself from his conversation about dual-masted or tri-masted vessels, and positioned himself between the door and the Feldyrs.

"Caitlyn," he turned to his closely following date, "Rufus asked you to attend this ball with me because I have a special need of your talents. You are an exquisite creature, and very talented, from what he's told me." She only smiled at his compliment, and he continued, glad that she didn't speak unnecessarily, "I want you to draw the attention of the young Lord Feldyr, and be sure he leads you out of the ball where Einin Beirne will see." With only a nod she was off.

The Beirne family was making fairly quick rounds, and clearly headed for the Feldyrs. He waited for the perfect moment to insert himself into their path, and thrust a greeting upon them.

"A good evening to you Lord Beirne. Lady Beirne, you are looking as gorgeous as always," he said with a sly wink, "It has been much too long since we've all conversed. I see your daughter is with you this evening." He took the hand of Einins wounded arm in his and passed his lips gently across the back of it. As he released her hand he reached up and gently squeezed her arm right below the wound. He could feel the thin dressing she had underneath and wondered if her parents knew of the wound, and what excuse she had given. "Such a lovely young bird you've grown into."

"Do you like my attire this evening," he asked, plucking at his pink trimmed black coat, set over a pink vest. The color matched Einin's hair perfectly. Just then he turned, noting Caitlyn was trailing behind the young Lord Feldyr.

"Well it seems the boy Feldyr has made an early catch this evening. A pity, I hoped to converse with him," he hid the grin that briefly spread across his face.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

Just as Caitlyn and young Lord Feldyr were heading out to the balcony for some quaint conversation and goo-goo eyed stares, a certain assassin dressed in a deep-wine red suit was making his way into the room. They bumped shoulders, of which, after pausing to take in Jarrett's tall stature, the young  Lord Feldyr humbly bowed and muttered his apologies. Jarrett only stood there, hands in his pockets and made small talk- nothing no one else could have heard, before turning his way into the room, so that both Rufus and Einin would see that he had arrived to the party (not that he realized either was there at present).

He was smoothing down his coat tails as he walked. After all, he had climbed up through the back. No sense of coming in through the front. He didn't have an invitation, after all..
though he did have an alias to use this night. Some Landen Hazameirne, a cousin or whatever to the Beirne family. Landen Hazameirne.. he just hoped he remembered it right, and remained back by the balcony, green eyes scanning the crowd in that cool, collected nature only an assassin like Jarrett L'isson could possess.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Einin's mother, Anya, smiled graciously at Lord Handelaar, and Einin curtseyed a greeting, head bowed. She recognized him, having seen him many times before at multiple functions. A confident man, full of swagger, and seemingly never far from a pretty lady. Their interactions had always been brief, as she tried to make herself small and scarce, but she'd found herself watching him on several occasions. There was something ruggedly attractive about him despite the fancy suit, and the weapons he carried intrigued her. But more than that, she envied his sheer presence. He spoke, and people listened.

"Good evening, Lord Handelaar," she started to say when he took up her hand and kissed it, and she smiled like she was was supposed to smile. Odd, that he wouldn't go for her right hand--ow!

The squeeze was gentle, but the skin around the cut was tender. She winced, just a slight facial twitch, and her eyes went wide. Looking up at him, she met his eyes, and her breath caught in her throat. That was deliberate.

Little bird?

Her mother had moved on, abandoning her to mingle, and Einin snatched her hand back. He knew. There were only a few people who would. And only one who...

Ohmygods.

His red hair was clean and brushed, his skin was washed, and his nose and scars were gone--the makeup!--but she knew those eyes, and that voice--how had she not placed it before?!--and...oh shit...

And the pink trim on his suit. That was the apple in the boar's mouth.

Her pulse began to race and for a second she couldn't breathe. He'd even had someone lure Feldyr away!

No. Way. No way!

"Y...you!" was all she could say, and for one of the few times in her life, she was genuinely at a loss for words.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Ryk noticed that as Feldyr and Caitly exited, a man he didn't see exit onto the balcony, entered from it. It was doubtful that any of these lackwits would catch it, and surely Einin was too caught up in the formalities of greeting to notice. From here he wasn't totally sure, but he thought he recognized the figure, casually standing there. He wouldn't be surprised if it was that assassin. There were few who could scale to a third floor balcony and look so calm and collected afterward.

"You do me too much honor. It's Master Handelaar, little bird. I haven't managed to buy myself a Lordship yet. There isn't any nobility in my blood. Perhaps I could marry into the title," he gave her a sly smile at that.

He noticed that the moment had caught in her mind, she made the connections. So her mind was as fast as her feet. He looked at Einin quizzically, and arched an eyebrow, feigning confusion.

"I'm sorry? Have I missed something? I was out quite late last evening, and I'm afraid my mind is a bit slow this evening."

He reached into his coat and pulled a small vial from inside. He showed her the level of the liquid, took a small sip to show it wasn't poison, and then offered it to her.

"It's something a little bit magical I keep on me for special occasions. Clears up headaches, nausea, minor pains. And oh, it will also completely magically heal stab wounds received during night time prowling."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

There was a lot to take in at this occasion. First were the dancers, second were his marks. Well, maybe first were the food tables and some whisky. And perhaps he could bum a cigar off of another. He needed a smoke. Either way, he made his way casually across the room, paying no particular interest to one general area, but looking everywhere all the same. He had two marks to investigate. One, being some merchant by the name of Figleo Bakk; and another; Lord Beirne himself. He was intrigued by the sudden bounty on a noble, and wouldn't have thought much on it until he heard of this ball... and that two potential marks would be there. But it seemed Figleo Bakk was no where to be see, but his eyes caught a hold easily of Lord Beirne. So after procuring himself a goblet of wine, he made his way over to the man and began to strum up a bit of a chat.
Or.. at least he was going to, for Figleo Bakk decided to appear, and his hawk like eyes struck out against his mark. It seemed he was shifty eyed and nervous. That normally meant something bad..
Shit.
Looks like he'd have to deal with that mark first. So silently he slipped away, addressing Mr. Bakk with smooth conversation.. and the two suddenly disappeared.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Einin caught herself and drew a shaky breath. She was not about to hyperventilate and swoon like some frail ninny, and her dress was not laced nearly so tight as to be an excuse. "My...my apologies, Master Handelaar. My mind, it was...elsewhere." Another tight smile. "You reminded me of someone."

Please, please let the ground just swallow her. At the very least, it would be nice to be able to slink off somewhere and hide forever, because as her mind worked through this information and all its implications, it arrived to some very embarrassing realizations.

Oh gods, he'd kissed her.

And defeated her.

And she'd known him for years. Maybe only in passing, but it still left her feeling naked and wanting her mask. And why hadn't she picked a high-necked dress? Gods, she couldn't blush now, stop it!

Still reeling on the inside and struggling to maintain placid calm on the outside, she took the offered vial cautiously, and bowed her head. "Thank you," she said. "Though that's a very strange thing to mention! But that's good to know in case--gods forbid!--that ever were to happen."

She drained it in one gulp.

"Never know when a ruffian might turn up and ruin your day!" Smile, smile!

Aeytrious

Ryk took the empty vile from Einin and placed it on the tray of a passing servant. The current music tempo was perfect for a medium paced dance, but not many people were dancing.

"I think we should dance little bird," and with that he swept her off to be danced with. The potion should have worked it's magic by now, healing the wound in her arm entirely. So there would be no wincing in pain. Living the life he had, his fleet feet lent well to dancing. He was not surprised that she kept up so well, even after the randomness of being suddenly thrust into dancing. He leaned in to her, just a bit more than socially acceptable, and put his hand dangerously low, but not quite risqué. With smooth smile on his face for everyone to see, he engaged Einin in what would appear to others to be idle chatter.

"You now are the sole possessor of very very valuable information. I know your secret and thought it only fair that I let you know I do. Even at great risk to myself. You have nothing to fear from Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant. I have spent many years building this life for myself, and I will not risk it on this," he looked straight into her eyes then, "Canis Rufus and Owl however are an entirely different story. I'm not sure where that journey will take us yet, but I plan on keeping it completely separate from this relationship. What happens when I don that persona is not part of this face, this life. I desire to keep them apart. I'm sure you can appreciate that," he said with a meaningful look, "If you keep my secret I will protect yours with my life. Just as Rufus secretly protected Owl these last two nights." As the music changed he led her off the dance floor, and graced her with a small kiss near her temple. That would start a few rumors.

"Would you care for some refreshment?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Pulled onto the dance floor, Einin was quick to adjust to the rhythm and fell into pace easily, quick on her feet and not prone to much clumsiness. Besides, she'd danced this dance many times before at many events and she moved without thinking. Or at least, she wasn't thinking so much about the dance as she was about the placement of his hand and body and the ridiculousness of this entire situation. She hardly even noticed the tingle in her arm, or the fact that it no longer ached.

This whole thing would have been hilarious if she didn't feel so screwed.

Yet through it all, she kept her mother's advice. Just keep smiling! And hopefully she didn't look mad, though as he spoke, some of the tension faded, and she blinked up at him. She hadn't expected...any of that, and found herself silently appreciative. For a moment there, her two worlds had overlapped uncomfortably--and now, once again, they were separate as they should be. Her forced smile turned genuine, and her heart no longer felt ready to burst from stress. Instead, she livened up in her step.

"Then we're both in agreement," she said, "and I'm glad you feel that way. Because I still think wolf would go well in my room, and I was hoping this wouldn't make that awkward, you know? What with Rufus being Owl's arch nemesis."

She grinned. "Consider your secret safe. And consider it the only thing that is."

His parting words, however, made her balk. What? He'd protected her? But before she could remark, he lead her off the floor.

And once again, she was reduced to blushing from a kiss. It was far more chaste, but far more public, and a jolt of paranoia went through her. She turned to look for her mother, and found Anya staring back and them from where she was standing near Lady Feldyr. Einin ducked her head.

Mother of Kia.

"Refreshments! Why yes, Master Handelaar, I would love that. What a wonderful idea!" Einin said, linking her arm in Master Handelaar's and practically dragging him further into the crowd. "I am absolutely parched. Ah, here we go."

As a servant passed by with a tray, she took a wine glass for herself and took a quick sip. "People are watching, you know," she hissed, voice low and face still red.

Aeytrious

Ryk smirked at Einin's red face as he smoothly took a glass from the servants tray. She sure was red, such deep blushes. It amused him deeply, but he showed very little.

"That is precisely the reason that I did it. I do have a reputation to maintain you know," he gave her a lascivious look complete with wagging eyebrows and a wink, "Soon people will be saying I made a real woman out of you." He gave her another wink and laughed a little, knowing how deeply that would make her blush, "but worry not, it will not hurt your chances with the lecherous young Lord Feldyr. He does enjoy the brothels a bit more than is respectable," and with that he gave a much more hearty laugh.

"Just because I keep that other life separate from my social activities, doesn't mean that I don't gain valuable knowledge to use in business. There is hardly a secret worth knowing that I don't know," he gesture to the Lord and Lady Tanis, "They have a young daughter but can't seem to get pregnant and secure a male heir, perhaps that's because Lord Tanis got two of his serving girls pregnant," next he gestured to Lord Bellren, "everyone believes the Lord Bellren is drinking himself into squalor. Really, he's investing in some interesting endeavors in Thanatos and has a huge estate there. The man is devious and shrewd," he looked around a moment but couldn't seem to find who he was looking for, "Have you seen Figleo Bakk? Anyway, the fool made deals with some rivals to the Wolves, they would give him info and he would support them as they tried to muscle in on Arca. Well I squashed his efforts easily, and passed credit to your father actually, and now I hear there is a price on Lord Bakk's head. I haven't decided if he's worth saving yet. When a wealthy man owes the Wolves his life, it can sometimes make me richer, but is usually not worth the effort."

"Is there anyone who you'd like to know a bit more about?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

It was an odd set of circumstances to say the least. In the privacy of the side parlor room, Jarrett could conduct his business in private. And the dead had been done with little fuss.. and little blood. The knife was easily hidden, but as he moved to leave, some blind-eyed, big-boobed, big haired woman came parading herself into the room. Blinking, Jarrett had to take a few steps back, and despite his attempts at a protest to get the woman to leave the corpse alone (since Figleo Bakk was hardly hung over, despite the woman assuming so), she went right on over to him and demanded he come with her to the dance floor, and as the woman tried to drag Figleo Bakk away, Jarrett awkwardly followed, snatching the corpse up before his dead body was to be dragged away across the floor and pulled him into his embrace.

"I'm sorry you have him mistaken, he asked me for the next dance," and before the woman could say anything, Jarrett swept the dead corpse away, moving with grace across the dance floor, which was not as easy as it seemed. All the strain lay on his back as he had to keep himself righted, and in the correct position to dance, all the while balancing a very heavy Figleo Bakk with his arms in the attempts of a dance. Thankfully, the man had a lot of fat on his neck to keep it (mostly) erect as they made their way across the dance floor, and as Jarrett looked around, he was scoping out a means for an escape. He had to ditch the corpse before someone saw him, and began to waltz his way over towards the study on the other side of the room.

Rhindeer

Einin nearly choked on her wine, but forced it down, cleared her throat, and gave Master Handelaar a flat look. "Oh, so what am I now? A fake woman?" she asked with her head tilted curiously. Her blush said she knew exactly what he meant, but she was trying not to rise to the bait by feigning naivete.

His mention of the young Feldyr's activities, however, took her off guard. It was true that she didn't actually know much about him, and wasn't interested in knowing more, but she'd assumed from meeting him before that he was a nice, proper lad. At least, that was the impression he'd given her--not a terrible person, but not particularly interesting, either. But that? And did that mean...gods. No wonder he was trailing that woman like a puppy!

If she'd been disinterested before, that went double for now. "You assume I care about my chances."

It didn't stop there, either, and as Master Handelaar went on, Einin shifted with discomfort. This was very private stuff. Stuff she didn't feel comfortable being privy to. It was rather like walking into a room and catching someone with their pants down and seeing a side of them you'd hoped not to see and were happier prior to seeing it.

It certainly made her look at these people differently now.

It was especially uncomfortable hearing about her father, even if it wasn't much. He didn't talk much with her about business matters, and she didn't really inquire, but it was strange hearing how much this man knew about everyone--which meant he probably knew a great deal about them.

She took another sip of wine and kept her back to her parents, not wanting to see their faces, and continued to walk with Ryk. Best to keep moving. "So you peddle gossip, too, then," she remarked, and gazed thoughtfully into her glass. "Hmm. I can think of a few people. Oh! I know. Master Handelaar, you seem  to know an awful lot about these 'Wolves', and I just find it so fascinating! It's so like the stories I've read. What do you know of their lead--"

She cut off with short, sharp gasp, body going rigid.

Because that was when she glanced over her shoulder to keep an eye on her parents and caught sight of none other than Jarrett, sweeping across the floor with an inebriated Figleo Bakk.

Aeytrious

Ryk was not facing the dance floor, but at Einin's reaction to something she was seeing, he turned to look. Well it was Jarrett that he had seen earlier. And he was dancing with a limp Figleo Bakk. At first glance, the man appeared to be heavily inebriated. A discerning eye, however, would notice that his feet were being dragged across the floor, he was not dancing at all. This meant he was either unconscious or dead. Since he was in the embrace of an assassin, he was most likely, no longer among the living.

"Well it seems I'm too late to save Figelo Bakk and have him eternally in my debt. Our assassin friend has already made his acquaintance. Why he's dancing around making the corpse look like a drunkard, I have no idea," Ryk let out a short scoffing laugh, "I do not wish for Jarrett to know the nature of my identity, in case he ever accepts a bounty on the Red Wolf. It wouldn't work well for me. But I'm thinking he could use some help with the late Lord Bakk. If you'll pardon me."

Ryk slipped away and snaked quickly through the crowd looking for a particular servant. When he found the man he came up behind the man and grabbed him by the back of the neck.

He modulated his voice as he spoke quietly to the servant, "Do not turn around, or I will gut you shadow wolf. The man on the dance floor with Lord Bakk is an assassin. The Red Wolf has declared that his contracts are legitimate as long as the Sirens do not object. He's somehow gotten himself into a jam and is dancing with a corpse. Help him carry Lord Bakk away. Claim he is too drunk and needs to rest." Ryk pressed one of his Red Wolf tokens into the mans hand and then melted back into the crowded room. He would probably arrive back to where he had left Einin as the servant, the Shadow Wolf, reached the edge of the dance floor.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It was an effort not to pick at her nails as she watched Master Handelaar stride off, and even more of an effort to remain looking placid. When Ryk returned, she wheeled around on him.

"What is he doing here?!" she said, voice low. "Why is he killing people!? I--are you two doing this on purpose? Do you secretly know each other or something? This is absurd!" Oh gods, oh gods. She found herself torn. She needed to speak up, because there was an assassin here! Killing people! But she couldn't. Jarrett knew who she was. Handelaar knew who he was. They all, essentially, had each other in a choke hold, and if one squealed, it would all come tumbling down.

But she couldn't just stand by while people were in danger--even unpleasant people! Her family was here!

"I...excuse me for a moment." With a cheerful smile Handelaar's way and a polite curtsey, she turned and headed out onto the dance floor, unaware of the Shadow Wolf.

visualspice

This waltz was a tricky one, so if anyone knew how it worked, they wouldn't be able to guess Jarrett and Figleo's steps as the pair of men (well, man and corpse) were making their way across the floor. He couldn't very well dance as if he had a lady in hand, or an alive person for that matter, so his steps and twirls and sways and strides were taken into account for the stiff ways Figleo's body was moving as they graced about the dance floor. ANd as Jarrett tried to get his way towards the other side of the room to dispose of Mr. Bakk's body, he hadn't realized he was evading the shadow wolf and heading directly towards an old familiar friend without her mask.

Rhindeer

Einin hardly had to go far, for Jarrett was coasting toward her. Wine glass still in hand, she reached out with other hand when he was close enough and smacked him hard on the arm to get his attention, since whatever Master Handelaar had tried didn't work. Or so she assumed.

"What're you doing?" she said, voice a low hiss. "You need to leave. Now. Yesterday. You need to be so gone you were never here."

visualspice

Jarrett had been dancing, more preoccupied with his flight than some approaching girl, so when she hit him, hissed, he whirled right around so she could get a good look at his face as he halted, momentarily his waltz.  Tilting his head one side, it took him a moment to register, then he slowly smiled.

"The midnight Owl.." he said, a smile slowly curling across his lips, though as the crowds began to move in closer to them, and Figleo's weight began to take its toll, he grunted and reshuffled the weight, and twirled away from her as he returned back to the dance floor.

"I can't talk now. Can't you see I'm dancing?"
Though as he was moving one direction, he noticed someone else trying to approach from the other. And not realizing it was a shadow wolf actually going to help him, he turned back around and shifted with Figleo, dancing back to Owl.... All the while someone came forward to cut in for the swapping partners version of the dance.. a  certain blind as a bat woman with big boobs, and she wasted no time taking Figleo in hand and was dancing off with him on the floor.  Jarrett found himself staring, standing there awkwardly as he was without another dancing partner. And his dead mark.

"Shit."

Turning to Owl, he took her by the hand and said, "Here, dance with me. I need to get my dead corpse back." And he waltzed with her, guiding her with quickness out onto the floor, trying to keep his eyes upon Figleo, all the while fluttering dresses and dancing partners kept moving in closer, all the while the music was moving towards another part of a song where the partner's needed to swap.

"Shit." he grit his teeth, kept trying to appear nonchalant, but that damn woman with Figleo moved fast. Did she even know this dance at all?

Turning to Owl, he asked simply, "Hey, do you mind catching Figleo Bakk while I get that other broad? Then we can exchange partners back by the bar and the next decrescendo." And he gestured towards the table full of punch and other things.
"Oh, looks like they're coming our way," and he kept a careful eye upon the pair, dancing gracefully about, Owl in hand, eyes on the prize.. er.. corpse; and at just the right moment, the pair moved swift, and even if Owl had protested, her words fell on deaf ears....
and before anyone could stop it, the exchange had been made: Jarrett with a very ill-tempered big-busted woman, who began prattling off how fuming mad she was Figleo was still ignoring her; while poor Lady Beirne got stuck.. dancing with a corpse.

Aeytrious

The servant who spent many nights prowling the streets as a Shadow Wolf didn't know who it possibly could have been that just gave him those orders, but that red token spoke volumes. He had until sunrise to mark it with his own glyph and return it to the den, or be worried that a Blood Wolf would come for him. So true to the nature of a skilled spy, he got to work at being a good servant to the house of his Lord and Master. Drunk guests needed to be escorted out courteously, as not to embarrass them or the host.

As he headed straight for Jarrett however, the assassin danced away, and with the nature of this song, it was quite hazardous to maneuver across the dance floor. He was bumped and jostled quite a bit, as he tried to make his way there, and was having little success. Then he lost sight of the corpse. Somehow the assassin had traded it for a lovely creature with pink hair. He'd have to find out who she was and perhaps pay her a visit when she was asleep later. Such horribly delicious thoughts and from only one look. She'd make for a few nights of fun surely. Maybe a week. But he could think about his extra curricular activities later, he just spotted the corpse of Figaro in the arms of...

"Lady Zaftig, gorgeous as always. May I take you from this stranger for the remainder of the dance?"

Just as Jarrett took the buxom Lady Zaftig, and the corpse went into the arms of the beautiful young Einin, Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, was there to cut in and dance with the gold digger. She'd been after Bakk's fortune for nearly three years. Her two previous elderly husbands had left her tidy sums when they died, and a good amount of political power to go along with the loot. A marriage to Lord Figelo Bakk would have made her a contender with Ryk himself, and the lovely Dylanna as well. Ryk was not about to have another player in his arena, and had promptly let young Lord Bakk discover the nefarious plot that Zaftig was trying steal his inheritance. The sniveling twit, did the rest well, keeping his father from spending time with Lady Zaftig, by lying of course. What lies didn't matter, as long as his inheritance was safe. Now that Lord Bakk was dead, it seemed Ryk would need to meet with the new head of the house to secure contracts his father wouldn't give up. Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, might end up with a Lordship sooner than he expected. Lord Handelaar, he liked the sound of that.

"You know Lady Zaftig, I have always admired how well you wear that lovely brooch," Ryk only gave the saphires and emeralds a cursory glance as he looked at Lady Zaftig's breasts, "but I personally prefer smaller adornments." He stole a glance at the slim figure of Einin as she danced with the dead corpse. He could see his, err... the Shadow Wolf approaching, he'd make it to her in just a moment.

"I really don't understand why you waste your time with an old drunkard like Lord Bakk. There are younger, stronger, more powerful men you could shower with your affections. Take me for example. I am unwed, and I hear there are rumors that I am an amazing lover. I assure you that they are under exaggerations. When it comes to making love, I am a god." He leaned in close to whisper the dirty deeds he could perform for her, and even the promiscuous fortune hunting Lady Zaftig couldn't help but blush.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It was the most awkward thing, dancing with Jarrett. Or at least, that was what Einin thought--until he announced his intentions.

It took a second for it to sink in. He didn't actually--oh hells no!

"What? Wait! No!" But it was too late--before she knew it, she had her hands full of corpse, and it took every ounce of willpower not to shriek and drop the body--and every bit of strength to hold the larger, and very dead, body upright without toppling over herself. For a moment she stood there, horrified--and then she realized she needed to be moving and, with a grunt through gritted teeth, she heaved the body into motion.

It was lucky the man wasn't very tall, but was mostly just wide. Still, their dance was not a very graceful one, and she nearly fell backwards a couple times as his weight leaned into her. And through it all, all she could think of was his cold, stiff hands and--nope! NOPE! Not thinking about it! Not going there! She made a point of staring at his chest and avoided his slack and lifeless face.

You can do this! You can do this. It's just a corpse! Haha! Just...you know, dancing with a murdered man! As one does! Totally typical ballroom shenani--oh Kia NO! On an unintentionally sharp turn, for she was having difficulty with the man's weight, Figleo's head rolled lifelessly to the side and his jaw dropped open. Out flopped his tongue and a little drool with it, and Einin sucked in a breath and felt her stomach turn, a scream rising in her throat. Ohgodsohgodsohgods! She couldn't do this! What was she supposed to do? Poke his tongue back in?! He was going to drool on her!

That was when she spotted Ryk, cutting in to take the buxom woman from Jarrett, and Einin picked up her pace and, with a final turn, passed the corpse off quickly to Jarrett a little more roughly than necessary. "Do that again and I'll gut you," she growled as she got in close enough to hand Bakk off, before getting swept up again by another nobleman--who she felt kind of bad for, because she was now getting corpse all over him and oh gods she would never feel clean again.

The man tried to make polite conversation with her, but Einin hardly heard him as she tried to follow both Jarrett and Ryk without being too obvious--and that was when she caught sight of the young Lord Feldyr, dancing with the lady Ryk had pointed out earlier.

Shiiiit.

Her dancing partner made a surprised sound when she abruptly took the lead and steered them away from the couple, keeping her head turned away.

visualspice

With Figleo Bakk now in his possession, Jarrett danced with him clean off the dance floor, clean past the table with punch and wine, and right into the Far-Caster's study; the one place he hoped would have some sort of window so he could dump the corpse out of, but as luck would have it, it seemed Einin's parents were heading in that direction, making small talk with another couple their age, not realizing there was  man entertaining a corpse inside...
So while Jarrett was dragging the stout corpse over to the back window, in were stepping the Beirne's.

"I can't believe it myself," he heard Owl's mother begin. "To think Lord Feldyr is dancing with some other girl, and one whom none of us even know by name!"

"A scandal, indeed," Lord Beirne began. "To think we had such high hopes of an engagement, or at least a courtship to begin with, but it seems we might not even be lucky for that this evening."

"And dear sweet Einen will only get older. Most girls have already been betrothed, and dare I mention married at her age," the other woman said.

And this was all going on while Jarrett was trying to discretely stuff Figleo out the damn window, but it seemed the damn thing was locked. So with a grunt, he had to abandon that mission for now and think of another clever means to get rid fo the body. Perhaps he could just leave him here...

"Hey.. is someone back there?"

Jarrett froze.
Shit.

"Yes, I'm entertaining Figleo Bakk," came his voice from the side of the room cast in shadow beneath an unlit chandelier. "It seems he's had too much to drink and wanted to sit here in the dark. But don't go lighting any more candles, his eyes are sensitive and I think he's finally passed out from drink."

The Beirne's exchanged glances, and the lady from the couple beside them raised a gloved hand to her cheek.
"Oh dear."

"He will be fine, I assure you. This thing happens all the time." And he gave them a charming grin, flashing white teeth from the dark.

"Yes, and uh..who might you be anyway? I don't think we've met before?" Lord Beirne pressed as his eyes strained to try to figure out who the mysterious man was in the wine colored suit.

"Yes, I would remember such a face." his wife chimed in. "Are you friends of Figleo's?"

"No, I'm a friend of the Beirne's," he began, oh shit- wait.. they were the Beirne's. "I mean to say, I came here to make their acquaintance." A quick recovery, but it still had the man and his wife looking curiously to one another. "I heard..something about an engagement?"

"Oh," and Lady Beirne's eyes lit up. "Are you a suitor then?"

Jarrett flattened his lips. It was the only story he could go off of for now, and at least he 'assumed' the Beirne woman looked at him as if a 'yes' would be flattering, so stepping out from the dark side of the room and into the light, he confirmed with a smile, "Yes, though I'm already engaged."

Lady Beirne's mouth fell open.
"Oh.. oh.." And she looked to her husband most curiously. "Already engaged to whom?" Her eyes went back to Jarrett.

And as if on cue, some pink haired girl stepped into the room. Oh, it was the night owl. So with a smirk, he gestured right on over to her.
"That one."

ANd both the Beirne's looked appalled, Lord Beirne even dropping his glass, which landed with a clunk and partial shatter to the floor.
And seeing their reaction (and not entirely realizing the connection just yet..) he added, "It was a secret engagement." and he turned to Owl, not once losing his cool. "Right?"