Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I am the pin that will burst your bubble! [Spicypants!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 23, 2014, 10:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Einin spent the rest of the ride home, and the rest of the night, period, being fussed over. At that point she was too exhausted, emotionally and physically, to be bothered by it--not that she would have been bothered by it, anyway, after everything that had happened that day. Sometimes she felt she was a little too hard on her parents, too critical, but even if she didn't agree with everything or like everything, they were her parents, she loved them, and she knew they loved her.

She could have died that day, and they felt all that more protective of her after they had come so close to losing their only child--and she felt a little guilty for worrying them like that. Ironic, she supposed, since she did dangerous things on her nighttime adventures but...at least they didn't get to see that.

Halfway home, she fell asleep with her head on her mother's shoulder, and only awoke when they were home.

She had to be helped into the manor, for her feet were injured, but once inside she was ushered off for a much needed bath. Her handmaid attended her to assist her, and she could have fallen asleep in the warm, soapy tub as her handmaid washed her hair for her...if her cuts didn't sting so much. Finally, when she was squeaky clean, she was helped out of the tub and wrapped in a towel as her handmaid set to wrapping her feet in clean strips of cloth. Then it was off to her bedroom to slip on a fresh night gown, pin her wet hair up and out of the way, and head out of her room to wish her parents good night and see how they were holding up.

Treading on bare feet for the kitchens (for her father had mentioned needing a bit of ale, and her mother took tea before bed), she found the room lit and warm. Tea didn't sound half bad, come to think of it. Maybe she would stay up a little longer and--

WHAT IN ALL THE HELLS?!

She turned a corner and found her mother at the table, sipping a cup of tea, joined by her father with his ale, and...and...

Fucking Jarrett!

JARRETT!

Why was Jarrett there?!

She froze in mid-step with an involuntary squeak, then crossed her arms over her chest as though suddenly fearing the decency of her gown, even though it was thick enough.

Seeing her there, her mother looked away from Jarrett and met her eyes, smiling brightly. "Oh, Einin dear, you're still up. Look who came! Your father and I were talking, and since your poor fiance lives so far away, we decided he could just stay here. It would be terrible to send the hero away injured as he is!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Jarrett L'isson had been enjoying a cup of tea- which probably seemed about as out of ordinary as the man sitting on a cushioned, pink velvet settee and conversing with her parents! Normally, when the little night time owl had met the man, he had some sort of a corpse tacked to his arm, and normally he was in a situation where he was pretending said corpse was still alive.

But there he was, in his brushed down, dark red suit, the rest of him well polished and cleaned, and no corpse to be seen. When she had entered, he simply stared at the girl and took a delicate sip of his tea, but said nothing. Though it was evident he had some thoughts about the frilly pink gown she was wearing, though as usual, Jarrett kept himself quiet and reserved before setting down his empty tea cup, which her mother promptly fussed over as she called for the servant to fetch some more.

"Why don't you come sit with us, darling?" her mother said. "Tea before bed will help you sleep, certainly, and I'm sure spending some time with your family before you go to sleep after such a day, might also quell wait ails your mind." For surely, her daughter was writhing internally after such a day!

"Heck, she probably could use a bourbon!" her father joked, and Einen's mother cut him a glare.

"Tea will suffice, I'm sure!" came her haughty retort before a smile replaced her glare as she addressed her daughter again. "There's room to sit beside Jarrett. I'm sure your fiance won't mind sharing the settee with you."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Writhing internally, Einin was! Though it was more like screaming internally. And the scream hadn't stopped since she'd laid eyes on Jarrett.

With a stiff smile, she adjusted her gown and walked over to join them, then, with a moment's hesitation, took a seat on the settee beside Jarrett. She tried to relax, tried to look more natural and happy about all this, but it was difficult. Luckily, it seemed they would interpret her discomfort as exhaustion, considering the circumstances.

"Tea sounds lovely," she said and, with a bright smile, she placed her hand over Jarrett's and leaned onto his shoulder like she was in love and tired and needed a place to rest her head. As her mother turned to signal the servant over, Einin lowered her voice and leaned closer to his ear.

"You and me are gonna have a very serious talk," she growled, squeezing his hand tightly. And then her mother looked back at them again and Einin was all smiles, just resting her head against her fiance's shoulder! The servant came to offer her tea, and she sat up straighter again, released Jarrett's hand, and took the cup in hand.

She took a dainty sip. "Well, this is certainly a pleasant surprise!" she said. "What a way to end such a horrid day. So Jarrett will be staying with us, then? How exciting!"

Then she paused, lifted her eyebrows. "Where will he be staying?"

Her mother seemed to catch her meaning, for she gave a merry laugh. "Why, in the room across from yours, of course! Oh, honey. You don't actually think we'd let you share a room?" She tsked and shook her head. "Not until you're wed, dear."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

OOC: Oh Einen's parents XD

-----

If her words affected him, he didn't seem to show it- in fact, it was hard to tell if her whisper had even been registered by the man or heard at all as he continued to just sit there, staring back at her parents. He didn't even seem that all affected that she was snuggling on up against his shoulder. In fact, the only thing that came from his lips was, "So do you really wear pink at night?" And his voice wasn't even hushed or whispered, and the words came out in a statement. Yes, for some reason- despite all the awkwards going on- Jarrett L'isson seemed fixated on her choice of color for her night dress!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Einin froze, and a blush heated her cheeks. Gods. Why. Just. Why. This was completely ruining her image! She could have gone through the rest of her life happy in the knowledge that Jarrett didn't know the color of her night gown. A pink, frilly night dress really wasn't the sort of thing a masked hero wore to bed.

But, for appearance's sake, she laughed and plastered a cheery smile on her face and tried not to speak through gritted teeth.

"Oh, love, I own others!" she said, and gave him a death glare from the corner of her eye. "I sometimes wear blue. Or red. Like blood."

Smile, smile!

Her mother seemed oblivious. She only gave Jarrett a motherly look for having obviously thought about her daughter in her pink night dress a lot.

visualspice

This situation, though awkward for both, actually amused the blood mage and assassin. Einen might not have ever seen him smile before, but there it was, somehow, his lips had formed one- and he didn't look to bad with it on. It was a subtle smile, and one that caused some dimples to cut into the dark scruff on his tan face.

And then, -just to show an ounce of humor at her expense, he told her, "I think you look better in feathers." And his words were spoken in such Jarrett L'isson brand nonchalance.

Rhindeer

Was he...smiling? Gosh, for a while there, Einin had been positive he wasn't capable of it. She had been about to remark on that when he said something else, though, that made that thought soar out of the window.

Oh nooo!

"Feathers?" her father said, peering up from his drink, while her mother blinked at Einin.

Einin grimaced and elbowed Jarrett in the ribs. Nice going, man! Oh mother of gods, he was going to blow everything, wasn't he? Stupid, stupid imbecile!

"What does that mean, she looks better in feathers?" her mother asked, and to both Einin's relief and horror, judging by the look on her face, she was reaching a much different conclusion than "my daughter dresses up like an owl and runs around picking fights with criminals."

"Um...nothing? I just think...I think he means, uhm...for the wedding, we were thinking, ah, some sort of...bird...motif?"

visualspice

Jarrett blinked, staring at Einen for a moment- his own face a mask of indifference while she was flailing around like a nut ball.

"Yes... feathers. Birds. Einen like birds."

And the room went quiet.

"Like owls."
And at such a response, he might have began to wonder if it was too much as he added.
"And chickens."

Ok, he probably should have stopped at birds.

Rhindeer

Beside Jarrett, Einin made a strangled, gurgling sound, faint enough that only he could hear it, while on her face she wore a large grin. Probably too large! Hopefully her teeth-flashing grin didn't look too much like a snarl, or like the silent scream it was.

HE WAS GOING TO OUT HER!

"U-uhm, yes, darling. I do like birds! Not so much owls or, er, chickens though. Especially not owls. I'm more for...peacocks."

Just keep smiling! Just keep smiling! Oh my gods, was Jarrett always this much of an idiot?!

"Oh! But, hee, bird talk is so boring! You know what, actually, I'm feeling so sleepy right now, I'd better go to bed! Jarrett! I bet you're tired, too, right? You sure went through an ordeal today! Almost dying and everything! That's so rough. Why don't you go to bed, too?"

Because gods help her, she was not leaving him alone with her parents.

visualspice

Jarrett's expression was indifferent, even as his 'fiance' was floundering.
And his response didn't help matters.

At.

All.

"But if we left alone together, it would imply we're going to have sex."
And he took a sip of his tea from the very, very small and fragile tea cup.

Rhindeer

Einin let out a startled yelp, sloshing hot tea over her hand, and let out another yelp because it burned her hand. Setting the cup on the table hurriedly, she stared at Jarrett in horror, not daring to look over at her parents--though she didn't have to look, because she heard their scandalized gasps.

It didn't help matters that her face had gone bright red, spreading down her neck and to her ears.

"We have separate rooms, honey!" she snapped, folding her arms over her chest. "Remember?! Oh, gosh, you really hit your head hard, didn't you? Ahahaha. You poor thing. You really do need to get some sleep, if you think that's actually a thing that could possibly happen."

Her mother was staring at them, mouth agape and tea half raised to her lips.

Her father was glaring at Jarrett. "Yes. I think the young man really ought to get some rest," he said slowly.

visualspice

Jarrett had plenty more things he could have said, but as it were, he was eventually guided off to Einen from the unified agreement with her parents the man 'needed rest'. He supposed he could hold his tongue for now, and he followed after the shorter girl, she on his arm and he- somehow having brought along his small porcelain tea cup and cigar, though as they made their way up the stairs and paused before their rooms, the blood-mage assassin was having a hard time juggling both with a woman on his arm,a nd the cigar suddenly took the plunge and landed in his tea.
The man frowned.

Rhindeer

Einin was fuming as she lead Jarrett to his room. After a comment like that, it would be very, very difficult to get a moment alone together, and they needed a moment alone so they could discuss this stupid engagement and how they were going to wreck it. But alas, a servant came along to be their usher, and Einin sighed in frustration.

Great going, Jarrett. Great going--splash.

She looked over at Jarrett, and then at his tea, where his cigar was now steeping. Then she looked back at him, lifted an eyebrow, and reached out to take it from him.

"You," she whispered, smiling so the servant thought she was whispering niceties. "You and I? We are going to have a talk. And we are going to figure out what the hell we are gonna do about this. Tonight, got it?" Still smiling, she kissed her fingers and then pat his cheek. "Leave your door unlocked, sweetie."

And with that said, she turned on her heel, handed the cup off to the servant, and headed for her room.

visualspice

At the mention of keeping the door unlocked, he perked up at her comments, then watched in subtle fascination as his cigar and tea were taken away. It was then he shoved his hands into his pockets and stared at Einen's disappearing form. He would have suggested the meeting now, but it seemed the girl had other plans. He supposed he wasn't going to enjoy his night in a fluffy, rich man bed after all. Oh well. Perhaps next time. If there ever was a next time.

And one could never be too sure with Jarrett L'isson.

But he stayed for the night, and even was beginning to get some sleep, some nice, real good sleep for a change- but well before Einen had arrived something happened, something that felt like a bad dream.

Normally her voice was laced into his nightmares, but the woman, his mistress always came calling at the most inopportune times- and this time, he wasn't even sure what was real, and what might have been a dream- but when he heard a noise- was it a knock on the door?- his green eyes suddenly opened and he found himself choking on his own blood.
Coughing the blood onto his hand, he held up his hand and wiped at the blood dribbling down his lipsa nd rubbed it off onto his arms. And then sitting up, he realized, with a few labored breath, his shirt had been torn open, and his limps and chest, slashed through-
and blood...
red, ripe blood... was everywhere.

It stained his skin, the sheets, the floor,t he curtains- even the walls of the room-
and when the noise came again his eyes went to the door as he realized.. Einin.

Shifting to stand, he was only a few feet from the bed, bare feet digging into the bear rug that mixed wth sticky, cold blood. He grimaced and found in that moment, he didn't have time to hide it- to hide anything when he turned around, eyes going wide as Einin, the night time bird, stepped into his room.

And she'd find  Jarrett L'isson, half-dressed in his turn red suit from the day prior, covered in blood and cuts. And his entire guest room to match. Seeing her expression, he righted himself, standing more in his casual manner as he turned around to look at her and shoved shoved his hands into his pockets.

"So you wanted to talk?"
And he stared at her with indifference on his bloodied face.

Rhindeer

Einin waited several hours before she ventured out of bed--enough time to ensure her parents had retired. She was no stranger to sneaking about, and most of the servants would be asleep by then, too.

Poking her head out of her door to make sure the coast was clear, she shut the door quietly behind her and tip-toed across the hall to Jarrett's room.

Good. So he'd left his door unlocked, as instructed. With another quick glance about, she opened the door and stepped inside.

The smell hit her even before the nightmarish sight did.

There was blood everywhere. The walls, the floor, the curtains, the bed--some had even splattered on the ceiling somehow. Einin's breath caught in her throat and she took an instinctive step backwards, a scream bubbling in her throat that she swallowed back down. It looked like Jarrett had been murdered and for a second she could only stare in blood-freezing shock right before she realized, oh gods, she needed to alert the guard and arm herself and oh fuck but who was the next target and--

And then she saw him. How she had missed him, she wasn't sure, except she was distracted by the bloody horror everywhere.

He was alive.

Covered in blood, suit a tattered mess, and looking utterly indifferent.

A fresh jolt of horror struck her.

Had he killed someone?

Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck. He was an assassin. She had let an assassin stay in her home! And with all the chaos of the day, she had been stupid, so fucking stupid, that he hadn't stopped for one second to realize what that meant.

Eyes wide, she took a step backwards, breath coming out shakily. "What did you do?"

And then, not wasting another second, she pivoted and ran for her room, throwing open the door and making a wild lunge for her closet, where she kept her sword.

visualspice

Well, she asked the question, but she was gone before he could reply. Staring at the door, he turned around to observe the room, so when she'd return, his back was to her as she glanced around. Man, he needed a cigar. He wondered if he had any left.

Rhindeer

Her closet was by the door, so it didn't take long to grab it and return to Jarrett's room. Part of her knew the logical thing would be to cry for help and sound the alarm, but gods...after everything that had happened the past few days, she didn't want to risk it. Didn't want to risk getting more people involved, more bystanders hurt, more innocents killed. What if her mother heard the commotion, came over, and got hurt? And it could happen before the guard ever arrived.

Sword in hand and leveled at his back, Einin stood in the doorway again and stared him down. It was weird that he hadn't tried to leave; that was what guilty people usually did. Something about that calmed her a little--but only barely, because what the hell was happening?

"Explain yourself."

visualspice

Jarrett was fumbling with his ripped and bloodied suit until he came across his cigar case, which, the moment it clicked open, he frowned. Staring up from the box at her voice, he turned around, but as usual, didn't seem phased by her words, or weapon. But glancing down at himself, then the floor, and room, again, he gave her only one suggestion.
"If you get some soap and water I can clean this."

Of course, who knew how long that would take- or why he even bothered to request that.
Stepping away from her, he puffed his cheeks a few times, as if smoking the cigar he didn't have as he approached a painting with some blood on it.
"But I think this painting is lost." he tilted his head, realizing the painting was of Einin's mother- only younger. It was easy to tell, she looked a lot like the night time owl with with a different nose shape and mouth.
"You might need to throw this away. Water will run the paint."

Rhindeer

Soap and water?! Oh for the love of...

Behind his back, Einin made a motion with her free hand like she wanted to strangle him. It was hard to be afraid of someone who was so...so...ridiculous. And maybe that was the point, because she had seen the dark things he was capable of--and they usually came with that air of absurdity.

Like dancing with a man he had just murdered.

Shuddering at the memory, she let her hand drop back down and stepped into the room, keeping her sword up and ready.

"Forget the painting!" she snapped, voice lowered. "Why does it look like someone died in here? What's going on, Jarrett? I neen answers. Now."

visualspice

Jarrett still looked at the painting. He said nothing for a while before he looked at her.
"I did this to myself."
There really was no other way to explain it. but he was itching for a cigar.
"Does your father smoke cigars?" he asked suddenly. He really could use a smoke.