Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I am the blister that bursts in your boot! [RHI!] [M]

Started by Aeytrious, May 08, 2014, 12:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeytrious

Theodore Wrenthis, filthy rogue, and the man that lived the identities of Canis Rufus, the Red Wolf, and Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, gave into the exhaustion that had been chasing him for many days. So many things had happened, from the battle in the streets of Arca with Mountain Cats, to rescuing Owl from her goblin captors. Einin now laid completely nude under the covers on his bed, Chora sitting at her bedside, waiting for the exhaustion of the healing to wear off and the young noble lady to rouse. Rufus was on the floor, filthy, but asleep. As soon as Chora had come in to care for Einin he had put himself in front of his door and willed his exhausted mind to stop all its planning so he could get a few winks. There was so much to deal with, he needed to be as rested as possible.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin slept like the dead, but eventually she began to rouse. The first thing she noticed was a complete lack of pain. She slowly flexed her arm under the covers, but it didn't hurt, and a roll of her ankle produced no pain. Healed? Really? She didn't open her eyes for a while, though, even as her mind raced. Instead, she kept very still and listened. Her dreams had been strange, dreams of chaos and the faint recollection of Rufus charging in, but they had gone dark after that, and it seemed too good to be true. It smelled different, though, and sounded different, but she was afraid to open her eyes. Smed said he had a shaman, after all. He could have fixed her this round. And the longer she played at sleeping, the longer she was left alone.

Except she didn't feel the press of iron against her skin.

Finally, she held her breath and pried her eyes open and saw--completely unfamiliar surroundings. It wasn't the tent, but a nice looking room, but her heart still hammered wildly in her chest as she looked around, prepared for the worst--and then her eyes landed on the woman sitting by her bedside, and her throat tightened with realization.

It was real, and the relief that rushed over her then was damned near crushing.

Gods be damned, she was not going to cry now!

Jerking upright so she was sitting, not quite yet noticing details like that she was naked and that the sheet had slipped down, she looked around the room with her heart in her throat. "Oh gods. Where's Rufus? Is he okay?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Ever alert, even in his sleep, Rufus heard Einin's exclamation, though the actual words didn't register. He leaped to his feet in an instant and drew his blades without hesitation. He crouched low and quickly scanned the room with his uncovered eye. Upon seeing no threat his eye moved over to Einin, and her bare chest. In the chaos of her rescue, he did not find the opportunity to behave in his usual lecherous manner. It didn't seem appropriate anymore for some reason. Perhaps his recent engagement. He turned away, and sheathed his blades.
        "Perhaps you should cover yourself."
        Chora, seeing the color fully returned to Einin's cheeks, stood. She used sign language to communicate something to Rufus, and then she slipped through the panel in the wall that lead to the hidden passage to her rooms.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

No sooner had the words left her mouth when Rufus was there, blades drawn, and Einin felt another rush of relief. With a sigh, she slumped back against the pillows and forced herself to breathe normally again. Thank gods. And how weird, too, that she hadn't realized until this moment that she would have really cared if something had happened to him--her "enemy"! The thought, right then, had legitimately scared her.

And then he turned away and mentioned covering up.

Indeed, the color did come back to her cheeks. Grabbing the sheet, she jerked it up to her neck, but even though she was blushing, right then it didn't seem to matter as much as it would have another time. Maybe it was because she was still a little groggy--or maybe it was because...well...gods, it felt a little pointless to be worried about that now, when she was covered in blood, when she had been marched around half naked for the better part of a day, and after, well...everything else. Rufus had seen a lot more than just her breasts; he'd been inside her. It felt like such a minor thing, and she didn't have the energy to care when her emotions were doing all sorts of weird things, bouncing all over the place.

She wasn't even sure what she was trying to feel.

Einin tucked the sheet under her armpits to keep it in place and took a deep breath, because she was still feeling...choked. "Sorry," she muttered, and didn't really know why she was apologizing. "I'm decent now. Anyway, Rufus, I..."

Well, now that he was here, she had no idea what to say. Her tongue was tying itself up and her words were getting twisted.

"You, uh...you found me, huh?" She cracked a brief grin, and felt tears welling up.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

This whole emotion thing was new to Rufus. Even his Ryk persona had little practice at actually feeling. He could hear the emotion in Einin's voice, knew she was on the verge of an emotional display. Luckily his room was protected. Nobody would see what he did next. He pulled down his eye patch and walked to Einin. He took her chin in his hand and directed her gaze into his.
        "You're safe now little bird."
        Standing by the side of the bed, he embraced her, pressing her face into his leather armor. He stroked her hair tenderly, in an almost fatherly way. He hadn't realized how attached he'd become to the fledgling Owl.
        "We'll renew your training with greater fervor when you're ready. And perhaps we'll add some curriculum that will help keep you out of situations like that. Of course, we'll have to deal with your parents first. You can stay here or we can smuggle you to my estate until you're ready to go home. No doubt Jarrett will wonder where you've been. And you can meet Dylanna, and our son Sam."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Gods damn him.

She was getting teary, but so far, she thought she'd been doing pretty good at holding it together. But the instant she met his eyes and he told her she was safe, and called her 'little bird', which had been so mocking before but now sounded anything but...

Well, so much for that.

She collapsed into his arms and embraced him tightly, face buried against him and hands curled against his back as she sobbed. She didn't care if it was childish; she'd needed that hug, and felt a little safer for it. Once the dam was opened, though, it was hard to stop, and it was funny how everything felt worse now that she was safe. When she'd been stuck in that place, her only real thought had been as to how to survive the next few minutes. Now, as Rufus spoke and held her and stroked her hair, the horror of it all began to really sink in. It began to register as real. She clung a little tighter as he mentioned her parents, a new wave of anxiety going through her.

Einin shook her head and mumbled thickly against his armor between breaths, "No, no, no, I can't go back home." Her breath hitched and she forced herself to continue. "I can't. He was trying--he was trying to find out my name. He's gonna hurt them."

Aeytrious

"Your home is safe," Rufus said to her as she blubbered on his armor. A previous version of him would have been disgusted by Einin's weakness, by her tears. Now he only felt sympathy. She was broken and afraid, and he would protect her. "There are Wolves at your house now, they are watching all the entrances. Your parents will be kept safe. Surely with you missing they have called the guard. The Queen protects her Nobles." He continued to stroke her hair as she clung to him. A tiny moment of clarity had him thinking how absurd this all was, but he waved it away as he placed a fatherly kiss on top of her head. "I'll not let anything happen to you little bird."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin calmed a little as he assuaged her fears with sense, and she drew in a long, shuddering breath as she tried to control her tears. He was right. With her missing, they would have called the guard. Of course, that would also mean that her identity would be easy to find in the commotion. But with the Guard and Wolves, surely they would be safe, right?

She nodded against him, sobs slowly turning to shaky sniffles. "Thank you," she said, and drew back a little only to rub at her eyes--and adjust the sheet so it didn't slip again. She lowered her eyes, keeping them on the sheets in front of  her.

"I-I'm sorry, I--" Einin paused to collect herself. "I lost the sword you gave me. And the potions, though...though I got use from one, at least. I-I thought I could take them, though--they're little and weaselly!--and then--" Deep breath. She wiped her eyes again. "Well, I gave them a little hell. I hurt them a bit. I think I pissed him off pretty good, too. I didn't stop fighting, Rufus. Even when--"

She shook her head and wiped her eyes again. "Gods, I was so stupid."

Aeytrious

"I don't know about stupid," Rufus said to Einin, "perhaps a bit naive." He sat in the seat Chora had vacated on her departure. "You've had a very soft life. You were confident in your abilities, and overreached. You are alive, you are safe, that means you get to learn from this. You're very bright, you will take all the lessons from this that can be."
        Now that Einin was awake, Rufus started undoing the straps of his armor. Pulling the magically enhanced leather armor away from his chest, he revealed a shirt that had chain sewn into the upper sides and armpit. It was a new addition after taking a shaft under his raised arm. He'd have it magically strengthened when he had time. He moved to a raised bronze basin and poured hot water from a steaming pitcher. He pulled off the shirt and a padded vest baring his bare chest and back. He was lined with old scars, from the many wounds he'd received before Chora had brought her magic potions to the gang. He dipped a cloth into the basin and began to wipe the grime away from his body.
        "I'll draw you a real bath," Rufus said, as he cleaned himself, "I have a very nice tub," he gestured toward one of the adjoining rooms. "I'm sure a nice long soak in water that stays hot will be something you'll enjoy. It'll give you a chance to relax and think. I'll teach you it's magics so you can use it whenever you like, if I'm not here."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

That made her feel a little better, and a little less foolish. Honestly, Einin had been worried that he'd think less of her, that he'd be disappointed in her epic failure. She was still kind of afraid to ask what had happened during her rescue; there had been other Wolves with him, and she was terrified that her carelessness had risked more lives than just her own.

Sitting back, she watched him remove the armor, but didn't particularly feel scandalized for doing it. Another time, and her heart would have leaped with excitement, him undressing while she was naked beneath a sheet, but now? Right them she didn't feel much of anything. Pleasures of the flesh were the furthest thing from her mind after what she'd been through. She simply watched, taking in his scars. He would know a little about learning from mistakes, then, wouldn't he?

"A bath. Really? Gods. I'll admit, that sounds amazing." Einin glanced down at herself. What wasn't covered in dried, flaking blood was covered in dirt, and her pink hair was stained reddish-brown. The bed sheets were going to be a mess. "I'm practically marinated in this shit--pfffft." She cut off with a dry, weak laugh and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Oh, ha ha. I'm witty without even trying. If you don't get the joke, they tried to eat me. This arm?" She flexed her once broken one. "Meat tenderizer. Can you believe that?"

She laughed again, as she had done during her capture, because it was still hard to process. Shaking her head, she looked back up at him. "Erm. Sorry. I'm just--I don't know. I, ah...I don't really think I want to be alone. I don't know if I want to think?" She rubbed her temples and took a deep breath, trying to fight back a little surge of panic. "I'm not sure that's a good idea. It's, um..."

She worked moisture back into her mouth and looked back up at him. "Has anything like this ever happened to you? I mean, not...obviously, not exactly like this, but...you know."

He certainly had a lot of scars.

Aeytrious

Rufus continued to towel himself as he responded to Einin's inquiry. "Nothing so extreme," he told her, "but I did break both my own thumbs to escape manacles in a torture chamber. They had already broken a few of my other fingers, so I was prepared for the pain. Still hurt like hell though." As he finished his rub down, he pulled a clean tunic from a wardrobe and pulled it on over his head. It was bright white, not a color he often wore. He began reapplying his fake nose and whiskers as they talked. "Kia was with me that day, as I killed two guards, my torturer, and scaled a wall with broken fingers. It was not long after that I left Zantaric to come here."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin winced at that description. "Nothing so extreme, and yet you mention torture chambers," she said, hugging herself and shaking her head. "Why were you taken? Weren't you young when you lived there?"

Perhaps it wasn't the most cheery subject, but it at least kept her mind busy, which she sorely needed. And besides, he knew a lot about her. She knew barely anything about him.

Aeytrious

Rufus grinned at the fact that Einin had remembered any of his history. It was evidence of her sharp mind, and he was pleased.
        "Indeed I was young," he told her, "I had recently killed my mentor and taken a few magical things from him," he looked at the magic gloves sitting on his desk, and flexed his toes in the magic boots he wore, "and I also took back my freedom," he paused in his telling to inspect the nose in his mirror. "What I didn't know, was that Defalcat had been all that stood between me and some dangerous men that wanted me dead," he picked up makeup and began applying it to his face, creating crags and blemishes with skilled hands. "As is often true of powerful men, my captors fell to hubris. They wished to inflict great pain on me before granting me death. I broke my thumbs and stole back my freedom again. I have never been caged since. I will die before I give up my freedom again." Rufus told the tale, said each word, so calm and deliberate. It was the armor he wore to protect himself from the only fear he allowed himself to have. The fear of failure. It was this armor that protected him from hubris, and kept his emotions contained. Paired with healthy amounts of vigilance and paranoia, Theodore Wrenthis had survived to become a very powerful duality. Now his identities were blurring together, Theo was beginning to peek out from behind the curtain. Emotions were turning his faces into one man, and now he had new fears.
        Rufus applied soot to his face with a soft brush before turning to Einin. "How do I look?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Heh...seems that's the downfall of captors, huh? We have that in common. Hubris, as you put it I guess, is probably one of the things that kept me alive. Lucky us, eh?"

Einin rubbed at her eyes, glancing away. "I'm sorry for what happened to you. When you were young. I never said anything before, but...you know." Yeah, she remembered. But back then, she had been fighting him. Back then, he was just a villain.

As Rufus finished up his makeup and asked her opinion, Einin looked back at him--and flashed a tired smile. It didn't quite reach her eyes; she was still a ball of nerves with terrible memories tugging at her mind. But she tried. "Terrible," she said. "Hideous. So, in other words, almost perfect. There's just a little room for improvement."

With a wave of her hand, she illusioned a mustache onto him, a ridiculous, twirly kind stereotypical of villains. Her lips twitched and she snorted. "Much better."

It probably wouldn't last long. She had trained herself to trick her mind into believing the changes to her hair and eyes, so it would likely fade once he looked into the mirror. But it amused her, at least, because it made him look ridiculous.

Aeytrious

"I hold nothing personal," Rufus said, "After all, you're the hero in this story," he looked at Einin with some seriousness, and raised his hand to pet his mustache in a nervous way. He felt the change she had made to it, and paused. He twirled the right side of it a bit before wiggling his nose in discomfort. He looked at himself in the mirror and it melted away, which was fine by him. It had felt strange, not quite like his hair. "I do see myself as the misunderstood villain of this tale. I don't pretend to be a good man, just to have positive motivations behind my actions." He ruffled his hair, and rubbed soot into it. The rich red color quickly dulling as the dirt and ashes were worked in to the wet locks. "I don't know how I'm gonna manage being a husband and father now. Who ever thought I would have a family? Not me." Rufus looked over at Einin a bit shocked at his words, "I haven't told you yet. I'm engaged. Dylanna Swinden. I've mentioned her. Her son is mine, and," his tongue felt thick and heavy, the words caught in his throat, "I love her." His head fell, a look of shame at this admission of weakness, spread across his face.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Whoa, what?" Einin blinked owlishly up at him. She remembered him mentioning Dylanna before, and he'd mentioned her just a few minutes ago--her and his son. But for some reason it hadn't clicked. Probably because she had been a wreck, and her worry for her parents had trumped curiosity.

"You're engaged now? And a father? When did this happen? You leave for a few days and come back with a family..." She trailed off, mind reeling. He was engaged. He had a family. Confusion swept over her, a tightness clenching in her chest, but she wasn't in the right emotional state to understand it, when she could barely understand the trauma she'd just survived.

"Look at you. Rescuing me, settling down, getting all mushy, being a father. You're just a softy at heart." She paused, noting his shamed look, and couldn't help the flash of bitterness she felt, but tried not to show. She pushed it away before she could linger on it; with everything else that was going on in her head, she didn't want to touch it. Not yet. And it didn't even feel real, even as she spoke.

"That's not a bad thing, you know. You said you love her. Act happy about it. Most people don't get to marry for love."

Including her.

And then, with a forced laugh, she added, "Though I suppose that ends our fake engagement that was never a thing because the last one's still going. Hrm. I'll have to create a back-up plan. I'd been pretty fond of that plan, I'll have you know."

Aeytrious

"It also ends my plans to continually bed you," Rufus smirked at Einin, in a very Ryk fashion, "I don't think Dylanna would like that. And thus your body is safe from my lecherous touch." As true as the words were, the humor of it returned his spirit. Or at the very least, allowed him to slip his mask back in place.
        It was true, he was marrying for love. That was something that few rich or powerful people had the opportunity to do. He hadn't considered marriage a possibility at all before. Perhaps if it benefited his dual lifestyles, but not for love. This was a miracle for him, and a curse. He would now be married to a noble, and so given that title himself. A son though, and a wife he loved, these were weaknesses that could be exploited by his enemies. There would always be the danger of his identity being discovered. Now he would have to tread even more carefully.
        "You're engagement to Jarrett is a bit problematic. Isn't it?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin couldn't help it. She barked a laugh, and it felt strange in her throat, a strange mix of genuine amusement and...sadness. After going through hell and back, it was a little slice of normalcy, which she appreciated, because she just...really needed to feel like things would be normal again. And yet...it was a reminder.

He was engaged.

"Yeah...too bad for you, huh?" she said, and pulled the sheet a little tighter around her.  "I guess it's probably for the better. I'd like to marry for love, too." As soon as the words left her mouth, she gave another bitter laugh.

"Improbable as that is. But yes. The engagement's...problematic. I have to end it, but then I'll be unengaged. But if I continue it, I'll be married. But if I do end it, I'm back on the market, and it's back to, well...probably getting married off to someone, whoever my parents deem a good match, political or otherwise. That's how they were married. It's the way things are. It worked out for them, but I'm not...I can't do that."

Aeytrious

Rufus couldn't help feeling sorry for Einin, but perhaps there was something he could do for her.
        "Why don't you find someone in your world that will fit your life?" He looked at her seriously, "I can give you profiles on the men you find suitable and we can decide which ones to watch and learn more about. Maybe there's a husband you could blackmail into never touching you, or maybe there's one out there you could actually come to love."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin arched an eyebrow. "In other words, you're actually offering to play match-maker?" she said with a grin that was part amused, part incredulous.

Shaking her head, she picked some blood flakes from her hair. "I suppose there's nothing lost from doing that. Though...gods. You know, Rufus, I've never been in a hurry? Or even...really all that interested? I've just always found it awkward, this whole marriage thing. Maybe it's the pressure? There's been a lot of pressure, and it just--it makes me feel sick, and then I panic, heh. But it's just--I suppose I've just always had this romantic notion that if it was to happen, I'd meet my husband by chance, and we'd fall in love like some dumb story. You know, get to know him first. Maybe meet a knight, and we could be knights together. Haha, right?"

She frowned and hugged herself. "I'm not so keen on marrying someone I have to blackmail into not touching me. What kind of person is that? I just...don't want to be rushed into anything, or forced into it. Marrying a stranger? I don't...I don't think I'm ready for something like that."

Ugh. Einin realized as she was speaking that even Rufus's idea was making her feel stubborn, and giving her cold feet.