Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Candy-Coated Heart of Darkness! [Aeyt!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, May 20, 2014, 01:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

That made sense, too.

Maybe...maybe it could work?

Einin had seen what Rufus did, and what Ryk did. She had seen him rescue a woman no one else would have given the time of day. She had even seen the way he treated the other whores--well, giving them more money than was required, romancing them, and they seemed to like him. She had thought, back then, that maybe he wasn't terrible. Giving food to orphans, protecting vulnerable women, giving people jobs. He said he didn't tolerate murder or rape. But he and the Wolves still robbed...

But...maybe?

Pulled along, Einin walked with Ryk, still feeling a little shaky, but not as much as before. She just felt strange, filled with some sort of weird, giddy energy, and when he pointed out that she was supposed to be leaving, she cracked a weak smile.

"Oh. I guess I forgot..." And then she leveled him with a feigned look of accusation. "Bit distracted."

Taking his hand, she took the lead again. For some time she was quiet, lost in her thoughts and not really thinking about the maze she was navigating. Finally, she spoke up. "So. This is real. You meant all that?" She didn't look at him. "Ryk...if we...if we were together...would you still visit the Lech?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"I think if Ryk Handelaar married the lovely Lady, Einin Beirne, and still visited the Lifeless Lech, as a customer to the ladies, the talk would not benefit my business dealings," Ryk told her. It was a practical point of view. He was all about image. Einin really was a lady the other men joked about getting to bed. If he had a gorgeous creature like her at home and was out paying for sex, his reputation, and hers, would suffer. "I have a persona to maintain as Ryk. Choosing to get engaged, and married would shift the direction of my image. I would have to be devoted to carrying such an image. I can't be seen as disloyal. That would hurt business, and would make you a joke whispered about behind closed doors. I would not do that to you."

He did mean the words, and it was a logical conclusion, but that didn't make it completely true. He had only spoken of Ryk, and his image. He had said nothing of Rufus, and even if he had, there was always Theo. She didn't know his real name, his real identity. He could promise things in the name of Ryk, in the name of Rufus. As long as there were no promises as Theo, he could tell her the truth, and still do what he wanted. It was all about the words he said that made the statement truth or fiction.

"When you are engaged to Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, you are the only one he will lay with."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Something about his wording got her. It would not benefit him. He could not be seen as disloyal. All third person, all about how it affected him, all about the persona he needed to maintain. Brow furrowing, Einin pulled him to a stop.

How had he gone from breathtakingly seductive one moment to dry and clinical the next?

"I'm not asking about your persona," she said, looking up at him. "I'm not asking about your image. I'm not asking about how it benefits you." She tilted her head. "Is this...is this just about your image?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Ryk recognized his mistake as Einin dissected his words, and he decided that using the truth here might be best. With the right spin of course. He stepped close to her as she looked up at him, waiting for his answer.

"It is much more complicated than that my dearest," he said in a sweet voice, "every choice I make must be carefully weighed and calculated. This is about my life, my survival," he twisted his face in a pained expression. "If anyone ever discovered who I am, I would not live long," he said in hushed tones, "assassins would seek my head until I had fled to the ends of the earth and back. What woman can I trust with my secrets? I am forever alone in this struggle. You, my dear, are an amazing blessing. Someone I can trust to keep my secrets and share my bed and my life. I always think of my survival, and maintaining my image as Ryk is a big part of that. That is part of why I have never married. I could have. But who could I trust as I trust you," he looked deep into her eyes, giving her the truth. As much of the truth as she really wanted to hear. "I just happen to be able to trust one of the most desirable women in Arca. A woman who is not just trustworthy and beautiful, but strong, intelligent, independent, and vibrant. I am truly lucky. Even if your morals are questionable," he gave her his humorous half smirk, "who would have thought I'd come to care for a noble that's as straight as an arrow?" Hopefully charm wrapped in flattery and topped with humor would diffuse her doubts. He hadn't yet given her body the intensity of pleasure that he could later use to flood her mind and prevent these ideas. He'd need to get her under him as soon as possible. Get her swooning hard, sweep her into a marriage, and take her to his bed as frequently as possible throughout it all. Seduction would only have power over her so long. He needed to cement this contract fast, and if worse came to worse, get her with child. Then there'd be no further issue. She was just going to be a longer game. A virgin with strong morals that he needed to maintain a caring relationship with would have to be handled delicately. He did care for her after all, so he was sure he could find the patience to treat her with honor. He would be getting title and a moldable lover, who just happened to be gorgeous. What deal could be better worth the long play?
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Questionable morals," Einin repeated with a snort and a roll of her eyes. But judging by her wry smile, his words (and flattery) had allayed her doubts. It made sense, put that way. And hadn't she considered and weighed the same issues in her mind? Wasn't that the obstacle she'd been facing for a while now? She hadn't wanted to marry for several reasons: one, because it would most likely be arranged, and she couldn't stomach the thought of laying with someone she might not even know. And two because...who could she trust?

Who could she be herself with? Who would actually let her follow her aspirations?

She could understand that. Ryk had even more to lose than she did, and a far more complicated network to keep track of.

"Consider the feeling mutual, in any case. I never would have imagined I'd fall for a crooked man."

The words slipped out before she could stop them, and she bit her lip as though to take them back.

Aeytrious

Ryk smiled at the slip. He didn't feel guilty for the realization that Einin was going to fall in love with him. He was using her, but he would treat her well, she would want for nothing, and he would sate her desires more often than she could ask. After all, having a beautiful young lover that you didn't take for a romp in the sheets at least once a day would truly be a waste. He would feast on her body, and he could almost taste her already.

Closing his eyes, he brought his lips slowly and gently down to hers, kissing her softly. He so enjoyed doing that. Her lips were so very soft, and her mouth tasted wonderful. She was lovely, and he really did count himself lucky. As he parted from her he smiled at her again, "Lead on my pretty little bird."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin leaned into the kiss, her own eyes shut, and when Ryk pulled back she looked away and licked her lips. It was going to take some getting used to, all this kissing, and she wondered how long it would be until it stopped feeling awkward. Ryk tasted good and his lips felt magical--she wasn't really sure how he did what he did, only that she tried her best to mimic it--but she just felt clumsy.

For that matter, how long would it be before this felt real? Before she got used to the idea of this? Used to her own feelings?

It all felt so weird. Exciting, scary, and weird, but only because she wasn't used to it. She'd always distracted herself with other pursuits, and the noblemen she'd met, she found dull. Lust? Liking someone? Liking Ryk, Rufus? Kia help her. She needed it, and still felt unsettled to have spoken it out loud.

With a nod at his words, Einin turned, grabbed his arm, and once again pulled him along. They were making some headway; she didn't recognize this part, so they had to be going in the right direction. Another dead end, and Einin turned them around and forged forward--and then she saw it. The exit!

Picking up her pace, she tugged Ryk along. "Finally! That took longer than I thought." And with a look his way and a raised eyebrow, she added, "I blame you."

Aeytrious

"I assume complete responsibility," Ryk admitted, "for the wonderful things that delayed us." His acceptance of the fault was of course an acceptance that their time in the maze had been pleasant. He did however feel the need to point out that she had been complicit. "The way your hands gripped at my back though, did urge me forward." He gave Einin a playful grin as she drew him along.

"So now that we're out here," Ryk made a sweeping gesture to the faire around them, "with all these witnesses to protect you from my lust," the words came out in a loud whisper, "what would you like to do next?" He finished his question with his usual charming smile. He jangled a coin purse in his free hand, as he still held onto Einin's with his other. He would have liked to pull her by that hand into a dark alley where he could sate his lust for her, but he reminded himself that he needed to be patient. Give her a bit of fun, a bit of romance.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin lightly punched Ryk's arm when he mentioned how she'd clutched at him, a mortified blush spreading down her neck as the memory of all that flooded back full force. It still didn't feel fully real, that that had happened; it could have been a dream, and it still felt strange that she had participated. But it had felt amazing, his weight against her, the feeling of his muscle and strength and heat...

She shivered. "Keep your voice down," she whispered back, looking around them guiltily, as though they might have witnesses. Then she cleared her throat.

Distractions, distractions. She certainly needed one!

She pointed. "There's bobbing for apples!" she suggested, pointing to an area where they had that and other little faire games. She nudged Ryk in the ribs. "I could use a snack. Come on!"

Aeytrious

"A snack?" Ryk asked, "but it has barely been an hour since you had your fill of tarts," he pointed out to Einin, "It seems lust boosts your metabolism. I'll have to keep our larder well stocked when we're married. I don't want you to waste away." His teasing was spoken softly as he followed after her. He took great pleasure in the color that spread across her cheeks. Knowing that she wanted him, but that she was shy about it was fun.

"If you go putting your pretty face in barrels of water to fish out fruit, the care I took not to muss up your makeup will be for naught." He had been careful, but he had still eaten all the coloring she had used on her lips.

"If you need a snack, I will gladly buy you anything you desire."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"...Haha," Einin said, understanding his implication and giving him another punch to the shoulder. "Anyway, I'm not really hungry, I just thought it'd be fun! And even if I was hungry, I wore my bodice loose for a reason! Though I guess you're right...I forgot about the makeup, honestly."

She frowned. She had put on more makeup than usual, finding she wanted to look extra pretty for the faire--extra pretty for Ryk--and water would be a great way to turn it all into a runny, unflattering disaster. Her shoulders slumped. "Well, there are other games! What about that one?"

She pointed to another stand where the object was to hurl small bean bags at targets, and if you knocked over enough, you won a prize of some sort. She hadn't looked to see what was being offered, but it seemed mindless and silly enough!

Aeytrious

Ryk smiled at the new suggestion. It would be fun to watch her, and it would be a decent training exercise. He'd eventually get around to teaching her throwing blades, but bean bags would work for a first effort.

"Good choice," Ryk said enthusiastically as he followed Einin toward the booth, "Owl could use a thrown weapons course. Plus I'm really good at that sort of thing."

As they approached the booth Ryk spoke up to the man at the booth.

"The Lady Beirne, would like a hand at your game sir," Ryk smiled at the man, "I will continue to pay until she succeeds fully, or gives up. At either outcome I will then play one round myself." He then placed his first coin on the counter, and motioned for Einin to take her place at the counter.

"M'lady, the game awaits."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Would you look at that. Fun and practical!" With a grin, Einin strode up to the counter--and she couldn't help but give Ryk an incredulous look at what he told the man.

Until she succeeded or gave up?

Her grin widened. "I could end up bankrupting you," she said as she picked up the first bean bag. "You know I won't give up, so let's hope I succeed!"

The goal, as it turned out, was to knock down five targets--large smiling, plush animals that were heavier than they looked. She had eight bags to accomplish that with. Her first throw had the bean bag glancing off one target, barely nudging it, and her second missed it completely. Hrm. Einin's eyes narrowed in concentration, face scrunching up, and she closed one eye and took more careful aim. This time she hit a target right in the center, but didn't throw hard enough to knock it over; it tipped, and then righted.

"What the--!? I hit that! I totally hit that!"

Now it was a matter of pride. With an exasperated sound, she squared her stance, pulled her arm back, and threw as hard as she could. Two more hits, and she finally took out the one, leaving her with three bags. Ergh. It was impossible to meet the goal on this try, now. Unless she found a way to knock some into the others? That was what she went for next, and missed one throw, glanced off another, and almost tipped over the last one.

This was more difficult than it looked.

She motioned for more bean bags. "Stupid little animals," she muttered, picking up a bag and bouncing it in her hand. "Looking all smug." And she threw again, aiming for their smiling faces, finally taking down another, but feeling like she was doing something wrong. "Not so smug anymore, are you? Hrmph."

Aeytrious

Ryk watched amused. Einin had no practice and she didn't know that the targets were made to be very difficult to tip over. Really, throwing knives was only vaguely similar to this. The technique involved in knocking over the targets here, was more akin to skipping stones. It was about speed, force, and angle. He decided not to give her any tips unless she specifically asked, and that was unlikely. She was stubborn and independent after all. He did enjoy watching her though. The effort she put into it only raised his desire for her. Strength and beauty in such perfect balance, were hard to achieve. Dylanna had been the only other woman that he enjoyed this much. Perhaps in time he'd come to love this young woman. No, it wasn't likely. He denied his deep powerful love for Dylanna, keeping it buried inside. There was no way he'd let himself love this girl. He cared for her, but never could it be love. She was a tool. She would be a well cared for tool, but a tool was all he could let her be. He wouldn't get attached again. He wouldn't have his heart broken.

Thinking of Dylanna, however briefly, had soured his mood, and his lust was gone. He shook himself loose of the darkness that crept through him and tried to return his focus to Einin. She was beauty in motion.

"It seems you'll get them all eventually," he teased.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Pride and stubbornness kept Einin from asking for tips. If she was going to get them all, she was going to do it on her own! By her third round, she had figured out that the head was the best target; they were too grounded at their center, so it was like hitting a wall. Hit their head, though, and it tipped them back. But you had to hit them hard enough to knock them over completely, otherwise they'd just pop back up.

She had also figured out that overhanded throws didn't work so well. The key was throwing sideways, and taking careful aim. The problem was power and speed, and she wasn't really used to throwing things. Hit a target with a sword? Okay. Hit the damned smiling animal with a bean bag? Not so okay.

She finally knocked over a third. "Oh, hush! I've got this! I think," she said as her bean bags were refilled. She took a deep breath, carefully aimed. "I think I know what I have to do..."

Her fifth round was where she finally had some real luck. She tossed the bag, missed, but her second throw hit a plush animal hard in the face and it went down--and stayed down. "Aha!" She grabbed two bags, concentrated, then threw one in the same fashion, hit the fifth in the face, and, experimenting, threw the second right as the target began to rise again.

It fell back over, and Einin thrust her arms up in victory, all five targets downed. "Finally!" She spun around to race Ryk, beaming. "Did you see that, Ryk? That last one? I didn't expect that to actually work! You can't tell me that wasn't awesome!"

Aeytrious

Smiling at her joy, Ryk gave Einin a nod, "I'm very proud of your success m'lady. Your adaptation to the situation was commendable," his smile broadened as he continued, "now watch a master at work."

He put his coin on the counter and received his projectiles. Like Einin he threw his bags sideways, but with a bit more technique, and flare. He did not aim for their faces however, but rather their bases. He picked up the first bag by the corner, making sure not to trap any of its contents between the fabric. He twirled the projectile similar to a sling and snapped his arm out sideways like a whip. The bag shot threw the air with enough force that when it collided with the bottom of the target, it was knocked off the stand. He continued the process, one bag for each target, knocking them off the counter they stood on. The man running the game did not look overly pleased, as he had when taking the coins for Einin's tries. When the last target had been knocked to the ground, Ryk turned to Einin with only the smallest of smiles.

"It has taken years of practice to perfect that technique," no need to mention that usually he was tossing deadly and injuring a living target. He bowed to the applause of a few children that had been watching his throws. Then he turned back to the man at the booth. "How many targets must I knock down to get the best prize in the booth?"

"Twenty-five," the man said with a frown. At a copper a try, the man wouldn't even make a silver piece from someone as skilled as Ryk. To lose one of his best prizes this early in the day, would not be great for a man of low means. Ryk pulled a gold coin from his pouch and flipped it to the man. He was surprised at first, then pleased. A gold coin was more than enough to cover the price of the prize. He set the targets up and Ryk tossed.

After knocking down the additional twenty targets he needed to win the best prize, Ryk's arm was a bit tired. He had missed twice on the last five targets, but had succeeded at knocking down four sets in four tries. Rotating his shoulder and rubbing at the muscle, he turned with a proud smile to Einin.

"Well m'lady, claim your prize."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin watched as Ryk annihilated the targets like they were nothing, and studied the way he held the bag, the way he positioned himself, the way he tossed. The bases, huh? She wouldn't have thought of that, and wondered if she had the throwing power to take them out that way. She'd have to give it a shot!

In the meantime, though, she observed, mouth dropping open, and when he finished, Einin gave him a quirky grin and joined in the applause.

"Show off," she said, without knowing that was just the beginning.

Because Ryk then proceeded to knock down twenty more targets.

Well. That was one way to make her victory seem puny. By that point, Einin had completely forgotten that there even was a prize, so when Ryk spoke up, she looked at him blankly for a moment before it clicked. "Oh! Right! Thank you!"

But when she went to claim her prize, the man running the booth pulled out, to her horror...

A plush animal (a rabbit, to be precise), complete with a wide, stupid grin.

"...Oh." She forced a smile. "Oh, how...lovely!"

Aeytrious

Ryk gave a satisfied expression at the sight of Einin's forced grin. She now had a cheaply made stuffed rabbit. At least it wasn't some ridiculously giant thing. That would be unpractical. Who would want a plush thing as big as them? Good thing that wasn't a thing or anything.

"I'm glad you like it so much," Ryk said to her, "You'll be carrying it around all day." His crooked grin expressed well his amusement at her disrelish. "Would you like me to win you another? From something that doesn't require that amount of force from my arm It's tired." His expression grew even more playful, "perhaps I could win you one at every booth. Then you could take home a carriage full of prizes."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Oh! No! I couldn't possibly ask that of you!" Einin said quickly. Too quickly. She kept the happy smile plastered on her face and hugged the cheap rabbit to her chest.

"If I had a bunch of them, why, that would cheapen the gift! This one wouldn't be so special anymore, now would it?"

Aeytrious

"Then perhaps there is something else I can give you," Ryk said in a seductive manner, his voice hushed so only Einin could hear him. He flashed her a lecherous leer, waggling his eyebrows at her. Then a real smile cracked his face, and humor showed in his eyes. He gave a little chuckle, and extended his hand to Einin.

"Where to now m'lady?'
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey