Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lady of the Lake [Aeyt!] ({M})

Started by Rhindeer, April 14, 2017, 02:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

It was close to midnight when Adamaris escaped from her room and darted her way across the property, barefoot and silent. It was heavily guarded, of course, but she was familiar with the guards and knew their routes, their schedules. And, dressed all in black on a cloudy night, it was easy enough to get by undetected. She knew it was risky, knew her family would kill her if they found out about her sneaking off in the middle of the night, a young woman all alone--how dangerous was that? But it was something she just had to do.

She was feeling too claustrophobic, finding it hard to breathe, her chest too tight. She needed air. Needed an escape.

And out here, alone with her thoughts, was when she felt the most free. The most herself.

Besides, there was never anyone out in these parts, especially this time of night. Who else but her was crazy enough to go for a late night swim in a cold lake? Adamaris took a quick look around, making sure no one was looking, before she reached into the neckline of her dress and pulled out the key she had tied onto a cord. She had stolen it the day before, and she used it now to unlock the gate and slip outside.

And then she was free, bunching her skirts up in her fists and running across the field, quickly before the guards could come by that area on their patrol or the dogs could pick up her scent. The dogs were the ones that always caught her, whenever she was caught. They hated her, and made her nervous.

The lake wasn't too far away; a ten minute walk, so she was there soon. It was a secluded space shrouded in tall reeds, and she considered it hers. Her private getaway, where no one would bother her. She could spend a few hours here and be back before her family woke.

Walking to the water's edge, the earth squishing under her feet, she shrugged out of her clothes and hung them atop the reeds. Then, with a deep breath, she dove into the lake, and it felt like being reborn, like shedding off many tight layers of confinement that had nothing to do with the clothes she just shed. She came back up and let out a breath, laughing and shaking her hair out of her face, knowing this would look so crazy if anyone witnessed it but not caring because they wouldn't. The water was cold, icy cold, but she hardly felt it. To her, it felt comfortable.

Familiar.

A pang of nostalgia hit her, something like a memory long forgotten, and she tried to grasp onto it but it slipped away as it always did. It must not be that important then, she figured, and closed her eyes as she stretched out to float on her back.

Why did she crave this so much? She knew it wasn't normal. She knew she wasn't normal. But this was harmless, right? She wasn't hurting anyone.

She just...wanted space.

From everything.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Kheelan Elvey'Resitl was laying on the bed of his lake, the kelp danced around him as he gazed up at the moon through the fresh water. It was another beautiful night, the stars were bright enough to reach him below the surface. The light of the moon made his blue skin shine, and his pure white hair billowed with the slight currents of the lake. He loved passing his days and nights in such uneventful ways.
        All of a sudden there was a ripple through the water. Someone was swimming in his lake at night. It didn't happen very often, mostly they came during the day, but it happened on occasion. A few times, when a night swimmer came though, they were accompanied by that terrible smell, and he had hidden, fearing for his life. His kind knew that smell so well. They were a favorite snack for the beasts. Kheelan, was just thinking about that horrible possibility when the smell came to him on the currents of the water, and he was about to swim for cover when he caught sight of the pale legs of a young human woman swimming above him.
        She was in danger. The creature would surely eat her, and so he began to swim toward her instead. He must warn her, drag her from the water if he had to. As he drew closer the scent grew stronger, the beast was closing in. Kheelan whipped his head around, searching for it. They swan nearly as fast as his kind, but he was especially fast, and confident he could out pace it. But where was it. He did not see it, and in his rush up toward the girl the odor only grew. Then he realized it. The smell was coming from her. She was one of them.
        Kheelan began to swim away, slowly at first, then fast, but quickly came to a stop. It wasn't chasing him. Had it not seen him, not smelled his sweet mossy scent. How could that be. Aquatic elves were a legendary snack to the blood thirsty monsters. The only playing with them they ever did, was seeing how long they could keep their prey alive as they pulled out their insides. The games were never psychological for them. Maybe with humans, but not with those that knew their true nature by the smell. To humans, it was a mix of earthy and ocean smells. To other fae, the smell was that of blood.
        Confused by the actions of the beast in girl form, Kheelan swam toward the shore of his little lake. He rose into a low crouch as the water became shallow, and crept to the grass. He cautiously traversed the lakes edge, moving closer to the girl, watching her swim. She seemed to truly be enjoying herself. He just didn't understand why she was in that form. He didn't disapprove, it was an appealing form. It just wasn't her true form. Perhaps she was hunting a human, or trying to lure one to her, and that thought made Kheelan scour the area, his eyes crawling across the shore and treeline. He saw no movement, nobody approaching. Then he caught sight of the clothes discarded on the shore. Clothes?
        As he approached them, he could see that they were finely made, billowy fabrics. A black dress. Black was fitting for her kind, the color of death and mourning. The questions were just stacking up though. Why was she in human form? Why had she been wearing human clothes, and the clothes of a noble at that? Why was she simply swimming about in his lake, at night, with no prey in sight? Kheelan's curiosity was getting the better of him, and so he decided to ask her. First he climbed a tree close to the shore, and once he was sure that she couldn't quickly reach him, he called out.
        "Why are you in my lake," Kheelan asked. "I don't see any prey for you here."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Adamaris gasped and splashed upright at the sound of a man's voice, whipping her head around to look for the source. And as she did, her wide, pale eyes caught the moonlight, giving them an eerie glow--

White and luminous. Not the red that human eyes reflected.

She treaded water in a circle, at first not seeing the speaker, but then she caught a flash of white and looked up, into one of the few trees there. There she saw him, a young man perched in a tree, dripping wet and nearly as naked as she.

Alarm shot through her; she'd never been caught in her private ritual before, and though she'd always felt comfortable and unconcerned in her own skin, her upbringing told her that she shouldn't, that she should feel shame for being seen unclothed--and by a man, at that. But before any of those emotions could truly take hold, confusion and curiosity replaced it as his words sank in. What the...?

She blinked, cocked her head, and pushed a wet lock of hair out of her eyes.

"Your lake...?" she said, and winced, more concerned about that more than anything else. Oh, gods. Whose property was this? She was familiar with the local noble houses, had socialized among them many times, and hadn't thought she was trespassing. She certainly didn't recognize him...but this could be awkward. If he reported this to someone...

She was certain her parents would be thrilled to know their daughter was trespassing to swim naked in a lake at night!

Then again, if that was the case and she was trespassing, he probably shouldn't be here, either!

She frowned, crossing her arms over her chest and kicking to stay afloat. "I'm not sure what you mean by 'prey', either. Do I look like a poacher?" Another wince. Oh. She hadn't meant that to come out so biting, and that...probably wouldn't help her situation any. With a deep breath, she bit her lip.

"I just...ah...you're not going to tell anyone, are you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Poacher? Kheelan was becoming more intrigued and more confused. He would remain wary. Perhaps there was a human coming that simply hadn't arrived yet, maybe this was some long con, or the result of boredom. He didn't trust her though, this not-girl.
        "Yes, my lake," Kheelan replied, "I live in it. I've lived in it for sixty years, and my aunt lived in it before me. The locals called her the spirit of the lake, or the lake spirit, or any number of other names. She's got quite the reputation around here. This is her, our, lake. We don't appreciate your kind coming here and smelling the place up. If you start killing people in my lake, the humans are probably gonna blame me. I'd prefer if you left."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"If I start what?" That took her back completely, so much that for a moment she stopped treading water and sank in the water to her nose. She popped back up with a small sputter and stared up at him in disbelief.

None of this was making sense. "The humans"? He lived there for sixty years? What? True, she could see his pointed ears, so it sounded like he was obviously older than he looked, but...what was with him? Her? Start killing people? Why on earth...?

And did he just call her smelly?!

For a moment she just gaped at him, equal parts confused and horrified--horrified because his accusation, ridiculous as it was, had pierced her like a dagger. All those strange thoughts...the cat...

But how could he know that? And why would he say such things? But then again, he had mistaken her for a hunter or a poacher or something, hadn't he?

When Adamaris could finally find her words again, she shook her head. Whatever enjoyment her freedom had given her was long since forgotten; now she just felt cold, like she'd swallowed ice. "Why...why would you say such a horrible thing?" she said, speaking past the lump in her throat. "I don't know what humans you've met, but I'd...I'd never. Gods, how could you think something so cruel?"

With a few hard kicks, she swam toward the shore and stood when her feet touched mud. Her long hair clung to her, falling past her hips, and she didn't bother to try to hide her nudity even as she shivered. "There. The lake is all yours again."

Aeytrious

This girl was the strangest monster Kheelan had ever met. Well he'd never actually met a monster before, though had heard the stories, and seen one from afar, and he'd been told how dangerous they were of course. She was strikingly beautiful, standing there in the complete nude. Her young human shape curved in all the best places. His keen eleven eyes caught the goose bumps racing across her skin, saw her pink nipples standing erect in the cold. Why was she cold? Why form a glamour so complete that you seemed to react to the water and the air as they did? The ruse only had to last long enough to lure in prey.
        The reactions to his words, the act of climbing out of the water, they just felt off to Kheelan. He couldn't put his finger on it. She actually seemed to be human, except he could smell her. She was not human. She was so much more than human. Was it possible she didn't know? That was more absurd than anything. Perhaps it was so crazy it was true. What would happen if she found out? Would she go insane? There were stories of changling babies growing up their whole lives not knowing they were fae. She wasn't a changling though. Maybe he should prod deeper.
        "My name is Kheelan. Who are you?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Lady Adamaris Locke," came her curt response as she wrung out her hair. "Of House Locke."

The words left her mouth before her brain caught up. She'd answered because maybe he would realize the depths (and absurdity) of his rudeness the instant she gave her House and title--and realized too late what a mistake that was. With a jolt of horror, she froze and stared at him, dripping hair still wound up in her hands.

"Please don't repeat that," she said, voice dropping to a whisper, her heart skipping a beat. "Please. You mustn't tell anyone I was here. Okay? If anyone found out..." She glanced down at herself then, as though remembering her nudity, and with another jolt she snatched up her clothes to cover herself. She didn't blush; she wasn't actually embarrassed. She just knew she should be, and that that was the proper thing to do.

"Just...please. If my parents knew, they'd skin me alive."

Aeytrious

House Locke wasn't a major family, but they had been around for a long time. Definitely fae blood in them, but not enough to smell the danger in this girl. They must not know the monster they harbor. It seemed though that the girl didn't know what she was either. Kheelan could only imagine what sort of awkward situations that had led to so far.
        He no longer felt threatened, so Kheelan jumped down from the tree. If Adamaris didn't even know what she was, it was unlikely that she would attack him, or try to eat him. He still approached her slowly, since he didn't want to startle her. Who knew how she might react to sudden movements. Deer were known for spooking rather easily, and she had that cervine look of fear in her eyes. Such strange eyes they were. Not what he expected though.
        "It's very unlikely that I will speak with your parents." He gestured to himself. "Do I look like the type to mingle with noble human houses?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"No, you...certainly don't," Adamaris said slowly as he approached, casting a wary look over him from head to foot. Now that he was closer, she could make out the finer details: his pointed ears; his clothes, which were hardly clothes at all and didn't even look to be made of cloth but of...plants? And maybe it was just the moonlight, but his skin had a strange, blue cast to it.

And his smell...

It hit her a few seconds after he approached, a strong, sweet scent that made her pause and draw a deeper breath--and made her stomach  rumble. But it was probably only because she hadn't eaten since dinner, and that was at least six hours ago. Coincidence, clearly. Whatever it was, though, it was good, and it took willpower not to step in closer to get a stronger whiff. Because that would have been...strange. Why on Earth did the thought even enter her mind?

Hugging her clothes to her wet body, she shook the thought from her head and focused on the more important detail: that he was no threat to her, as far as her secrecy went.

She cocked her head curiously. "Who are you, anyway? And...what on earth are you wearing?"

Aeytrious

"I am Prince Kheelan Elvey'Resitl of the Shem'Lursien. Thirty-second in line to the throne," the blue elf replied with a regal bow. "I'm far enough from being heir that my life is my own, and so I watch over the lake, that my family has looked over for several generations. As for my clothes," Kheelan gestured toward his minimal attire, "I made it from things found in the water, as is customary among my people." Then he gestured toward Adamaris in her nudity. "Do you want to dress, or are you just going to sop up water with your garment? I've seen many naked people from in my home beneath the surface, so your nudity doesn't offend me. Not that nudity really offends my people anyway."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Oh.

That's right. Clothes. Those things she should be wearing.

Adamaris startled, but only because she had forgotten she was holding her dress and he had pointed it out. She blinked down at the wet garment, then back at the stranger, as though considering something. She had seen other women have a conniption about things they found inappropriate; a young lady at market had had her dress blown up to show her knickers once, and she had about had a fit and died of blushing. Adamaris thus knew she should react similarly—blush, squeal, scramble to dress, turn her back—but she didn't actually care, and he said that he didn't, either. So why fuss over nothing?

It seemed silly. But other people seemed to overreact an awful lot in general.

"Oh. Yes. Yes, I should do that," she said, and slipped the dress on over her head. She was quick and efficient, but there was no real urgency, either, and soon she was covered without fanfare. She straightened out the garment, smoothing out wrinkles, and then worked on wringing more water out of her hair.

"It actually doesn't bother me," she admitted with a shrug. "But it seems to bother everyone else for some reason."

Aeytrious

Such an odd encounter. A decently attractive naked human woman that wasn't really a human at all but didn't know it. Kheelan watched her with fascination as she dressed. Her movement was off a bit for a human, too much efficiency. He wondered if Adamaris had ever noticed it, or any of the humans, or if being around her her whole life had made them immune to her oddities.
        "Let me help you," Kheelan said. With some muttered words in his native tongue and a few quick motions of his hands, all the water in Adamaris's hair and clothes pulled was drained out. It formed a small globe, and Kheelan launched it back to the lake. "Now you don't have to worry about catching a chill."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Just like that, the water drained from her hair and clothes, leaving Adamaris as dry as she was before her swim. She blinked at Kheelan, eying the water globe curiously as he lobbed it into the lake before brushing at her dress. Her long hair was still wild and tangled from the lake, with a few dead reeds and leaves in it, but she didn't seem to mind. Her parents would, though; her wet clothes wouldn't go unnoticed by her handmaiden when she whisked them off to be laundered, though she as certain she could hide them until they dried. Still, he removed an inconvenience from her.

"The cold never bothered me," she said, which was true; her body reacted, with goosebumps and blue lips, but it didn't actually feel cold. It just felt familiar. "But I appreciate it. I usually sit by the water and let myself dry before I dress, but that was more efficient."

She played with the fabric of her dress, distracting herself from the growing pit in her stomach, the low, uncomfortable rumble. Why was she so hungry? And what smelled so good? She swallowed down the extra saliva and raised her strange eyes back to Kheelan. "Not to be an inconvenience, but you wouldn't happen to have anything to eat, would you?"

Aeytrious

Kheelan felt a little nervous at the hungry sounds his elven ears could hear coming from Adamaris's stomach. Then she asked him for food. This could very well lead to a nightmare situation if he didn't either extricate himself from the situation or get the girl fed.
        "I usually eat fish, or plants that grow in the lake," Kheelan told the girl. "I don't know that those will agree with your palate. Perhaps to could eat some of the wild raspberries that grow in the area." He motioned Adamaris toward some brush overgrown with weeds. It hid a bush weighted heavily with the dark red fruit. "There are some other edible plants, but humans don't usually enjoy them."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Adamaris perked at the mention of fish. That actually sounded wonderful—better than wild raspberries, at least. She'd always found fruit overly sweet, and vegetables overly bitter, but fish and other meats had always agreed with her. But she knew it was improper; a noble lady eating wild fish straight from a lake? What were they going to do, roast them on a stick? It probably wasn't quality fish as it was.

And those were things she was apparently supposed to care about.

"The...raspberries should suffice," she said reluctantly, her mother's words echoing in her mind. You don't want to get gout! You can't just live off meats! And she had eaten a large meal of hare. "I don't want to inconvenience you more than I have."

Looking to the bush, she moved over to it and plucked a berry. Then she stared at it, nose wrinkled. It would serve until she got home. Just enough so the hunger wasn't uncomfortably distracting.

She popped it in her mouth, chewed, and made a face. "Eugh...it's so bitter." Bitter AND sweet, with a texture like sand. How did people eat these things?

Aeytrious

"You don't seem very pleased with the fruit," Kheelan said. He walked passed Adamaris to the edge of the water, "and I could sense your reluctance at accepting the suggestion." A few whispered words to the reeds on the shore and they grey tall and twined themselves together. Kheelan snapped them off and they formed into a spear. A few moments later he thrust it into the water and pulled up a decent sized fish.
        "I'm not very good with a fire," Kheelan told Adamaris, "and I normally eat my food raw anyway. How would you like to prepare it?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...Rare. Bloody. No need for a fire.

That was the impulse that sprang to mind, but Adamaris bit back the words, horrified at their pull. But as she looked at the wriggling, dying fish, all she could think of was its soft flesh between her teeth, and how its blood would taste. She shook her to clear the image and rubbed at her temple, taking a deep breath.

She could smell its blood from there.

Or was that just in her head?

"...Cooked," she answered quietly. "Thoroughly. Raw meat can make you ill. How can you stand that?"

Aeytrious

"Fresh fish is unlikely to make you ill actually," Kheelan corrected. "Land animals and birds are another story." He dropped to his knees and once again whispered to the reeds that made the spear. They shifted and reformed, some of them dropping away to form a small flat table. The remainder formed into a small knife that Kheelan quickly employed. He removed the head, bones, and innards in a few quick motions, scooping them to the side. Then with a practiced hand he removed the outer skin leaving perfect fish steaks. Lastly, Kheelan cut those steaks into perfect cubes of meat. He popped one in his mouth, and then offered the rest to Adamaris.
        "I assure you, it's perfectly safe."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Such an interesting kind of magic he had, that ability to speak to the plants. Adamaris watched Kheelan work curiously as he formed the table--but it was the knife that truly piqued her interest, and the fish laid out on the table.

Kheelan began slicing, and Adamaris's breath stilled, her blood pumping audibly in her ears. She curled her hands into loose fists, staring, transfixed, as the knife rose and fell, taking off the head and leaving a little puddle of blood, and soon its belly was opened and its innards spilled out. She swallowed, watching them get scooped aside. It was offal. Bad meat, meat no one wanted, but she wanted to taste it. Wanted to know what it would feel like to crunch those bones between her teeth.

She let her breath out slowly. She had to fight those thoughts. They weren't normal, and they were wrong and intrusive and even dangerous, little flashes of scenes playing out in her mind. This wasn't the worse thing she'd imagined, but she had to control even the little ones--otherwise thoughts would lead to impulses, and impulses would lead to action.

At least, that was what she feared. It had happened before--but she had been young then.

She was older now. That was behind her.

She looked away until Kheelan finished, and when he was done and demonstrated the meat's safety by eating a chunk for himself, and knelt down before the table and examined the cubes. "That so?" she said. She should be disgusted. That was raw fish, after all! Was she really hungry enough to try it? Well, she had heard rumors that in some places, it was a delicacy, and she had enjoyed fish eggs when she'd had them, and those had been raw.

Perhaps it wasn't so strange.

"I imagine one bite won't kill me," she said, still caught somewhere between what she knew was strange and inappropriate, and what she wanted. She picked up a cube, sniffed it, and then popped it into her mouth with far less hesitancy than she should have shown.

...And gods, was it good.

The soft texture, so different from dry, cooked meat. The salty taste of blood, soaked into the flesh and mingling with the natural, earthy sweetness of the fish. Adamaris closed her eyes to savor it, already craving more--and somewhere deep inside feeling like it wasn't enough. What would other raw creatures taste like?

She cracked her eyes open at the unbidden thought, and swallowed down her bite. "I'll admit, I wasn't expecting it to taste so good. I would have never thought to try it raw."

Aeytrious

As Kheelan was slicing into the fish, making it into a meal, he could hear the change in Adamaris. Her heart rate increased, her breathing pattern quickened. It made him a little nervous to be so close to her when he could sense her craving for flesh come alive. At last he finished his task and the not-girl joined him at his table. A whisper to the knife and the reeds of it braided themselves around his wrist into a bangle. With a simple command the reeds could transform again, to strike the creature that now sat across from him. He would risk himself as little as possible.
        Kheelan was completely sure now that the monster was unaware of what she truly was. Too many of Adamaris's behaviors were clearly human. Her true nature hidden from her was a danger to all around her, but Kheelan was too curious to walk away. He couldn't help wondering if this had ever happened before. Changlings often didn't know what they were, but Adamaris was no changling. She was a more sinister creature.
        "There are many things one might find undesirable until they try it for themselves. I would not recommend the consuming of other creatures raw however. There are illnesses that can be contracted from such practices."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: