Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dark Currents II: Foggy Shores [open]

Started by TreeFolk, February 09, 2016, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Grass and dead leaves crackled beneath Leon's feet as he walked along the side of the river, heading upstream. His eyes darted from left to right, a sigh exiting his lips as he analyzed the thick fog rolling around his feet and floating mere inches above the moist ground. The cold wind stung his skin as a breeze rolled through, and Leon knew almost immediately that starting a fire and setting up somewhere to camp would be a chore. One that he was frankly too exhausted to carry out.

The man hated heavily populated areas such as villages and towns... Not only were they noisy and obnoxious, but the heavy scent of humans was too much for his sensitive nose to handle. This was just how he preferred to live. One with nature, away from society. It was easier this way as well, as creatures such as himself would be lucky to not get found out and killed almost immediately while amongst townsfolk or villagers. Sure, as long as he didn't cause trouble, there was a chance he'd be fine. However, trouble just seemed to like following him around, therefor, it wasn't a chance he could take.

Leon stopped as he found a large, flat area of dirt, just large enough for a bedroll and fire. Maybe if he was lucky, he'd be able to sleep for the first time in days. Away from bandits and bothersome trolls, away from rewards that needed to be collected... Just him and the peaceful sounds of nature. His nice thoughts were interrupted by the sight of three people, not too far up ahead. Two women, and a rather weak-looking man. It was easy to tell by the pale, bluish skin and various bruises and abrasions that something bad had happened to him, but this was none of Leon's business. As long as he didn't bother them, they wouldn't bother him. And with that, he began to lay down his bedroll.

TreeFolk

Grian barely roused himself when Makani arrived back at the small fire with the healer, allowing the healer to uncover him to see the wound without much protestation. Even though he would normally try to protect the modesty of the women, he was far too weak at this point to be able to protest. He grimaced as the healer spread the burnt and blistered skin where he had cauterized the wound, knowing she was checking for infection.

The woman poured something that burned over the wound, and then gripped his chin in her hand and poured something down his throat, rubbing his throat with her hand to force him to swallow it. When she was through with that, she seemed to think him incapable of cohesive speech... Well, she'd be right.

"His clothes need drying and he needs to be kept warm and kept out of the elements. With the amount of blood loss, he is likely to grow feverish and weaker. This wound is hours old, I'm surprised he's survived at all. Likely to have his insides bleeding. Can't do much about that. If the blood loss and internal bleeding doesn't kill him, he's still got infection and fever to fight. For infection, you'll have to open the wound and express it. He'll need herbs for that, which I have, but I can't go giving you things that our people might need for free."

Ah. That he understood, even in his weak state. Grappling with the damp pile of his clothing (that he would have spread out to dry had he had half the strength), Grian produced his coin purse, heavy with money. Pulling out a silver (which was certaintly more than whatever she could give him was worth), he offered it to the healer. She took it and doled out the medicine for the fever, blood loss, and infection, along with fresh bandages and a few staples, before taking off again, commenting on her fear of nightfall and strange howls from the woods.

Grian was surprised by how much she had given him for the coin, expecting her to give him the bare minimum and take advantage. Taking up one of the flasks, he gave it a whiff and took a swig, recognizing the whiskey as it passed down his throat. Looking at Makani, he gave her a grim smile. "Not very optimistic about my survival prospects, was she?" He'd always heard that the people of Ravensway were more aloof than those of Summervale. It made sense. Summervale, every resource felt bountiful. Here, even from his short time suffering on this lake shore, seemed like a struggle for survival. Of course they would be wary of sharing resources with strangers.

"I could give you coin enough to replace your tunic and blanket, and set you up in an inn for the night, if you might just build the fire and leave the blanket. No reason for you to stay out here just because I'm too weak to travel." Plus, he suspected there might be something that went bump in the night from the look on the healers face as soon as the sun had begun to descend in the sky.

DragonSong

Maka hung back as the healer did her work, not wanting to crowd her or get in the way. She frowned a bit as the woman began to list off all the things that were likely to kill him- quite an impressive list, actually- but didn't say anything.

She kept silent when the healer took her money and left, only giving a brief nod and a twitch of her lips that might have been a smile in thanks. Her eyes flicked back to Grian and she smirked a bit.

"No, she didn't" she agreed, kneeling beside him. Without thinking she reached out to adjust the blanket around his shoulders, trying to keep him as warm as possible. That's what the healer had said to do, right? Keeping him out of the elements wasn't really an option at the moment, but at least she could do this.

Shaking her head at his offer, Maka murmured, "I appreciate it, but I'm not just gonna leave you. I was planning on sleeping in the wilds tonight anyway, it's not as if it's any real hardship." Voice lowering a bit, she added, "And if I leave now and you die I'll be left with your ghost on my conscience, and that's one more ghost I really don't need."

It was hard enough to ignore the spirits that followed her around already.

With a sharp breath she sat back, eyes flicking to the woods and then back to him. Lips quirking up on one side, she muttered, "Besides, what are you gonna do if whatever scared the healer off comes by hoping for a quick meal. Think you can defend yourself, with the state your in?" She shook her head.

TreeFolk

His eyebrow quirked at her comment about ghosts, not quite sure what she meant by it. The way most people said something like that would be flippantly, but she said it in a way as if a real ghost might appear to follow her about.

He shook his head, "If I were to become a ghost, I'd have bigger fish to fry. I'd be haunting the one who gave me the wound, not some innocent young woman." Surely his ghost would have a better memory of his attacker than he currently had.

He weakly grabbed the hilt of his sword, lifting it and then letting it drop with a thump to the ground as if this would be enough to prove his capability in protecting himself. "I'm a decent swordsman." That was true, but at the moment probably not. "And if it comes at me, it won't get much of a meal. My meats all bruised." He nodded to her. "But I could not bear to see you risk yourself trying to fend off a beast while I lay here prone and useless."

Grian conceded, "But if you do stay, promise to distract it by feeding me to it while you escape. At least that is more noble a death than rotting away in fever."

KingTyrant

As the healer did her work on the man's injury, Leon listened in, able to hear almost everything with his sensitive ears. He felt somewhat disgusted at how nosey he was being, but it all truly intrigued him. Who, or what could have caused such a wound? Was it something that could earn him some profit if he decided to deal with it? The chance was slim, but being a mercenary meant that he couldn't pass up any chance to make some quick coin.

He finally decided to get up once the healer had walked off, going to gather firewood. He came back moments later, dead leaves, twigs, and small branches in his arms. Not much, but enough to scrape by for one night. He placed them in a small hole he made in the dirt before lighting it with his flint, which he always kept in his rook sack to use when nightfall approached. After much trial and error, he finally created a small flame with the somewhat damp materials in front of him. It was a miracle, to say the least.

He removed his gauntlets, rubbing his cold, numb hands as the flames expanded, giving off much needed warmth to his whole body. He stared at the fire for a long time, the fumes stinging his eyes and filling his lungs with every breath as hee looked back at the two, still not too far away from him. He shrugged, standing and leaving his weapons, not wanting to seem like a threat. He pulled a small hairband from his sack, tying his long, black locks back into a bun on the back of his neck as he approached them. He probably didn't need to seem too professional around them, but he felt as if it was necessary, given his track record with people.

"Pretty nasty wound. What could've done that to you?" He asked as he walked up, his voice quiet, yet gravely and rough. His bright, yellow eyes darted from Grain's wound to his face, a brow raised in obvious curiosity. He glanced at Maka, giving a greeting nod. He hated people... He was sure to hate these people too, but it was better to not make enemies now. Especially when he was the one who approached them to begin with.

DragonSong

Maka watched him fumble with the sword and felt her lips curving in a bit of a smile. He probably was fairly accomplished with the blade, but that wasn't exactly going to do him any good if he could barely lift it.

Then she scoffed. "Death is death," she said bluntly. "There's no such thing as an honorable way to die."

She might have said more, but that was when the newcomer appeared. In an instant she was on her feet, her staff whipped off her back and in her hands as she took a guard position in front of Grian, eyeing the stranger warily.

"Who the hell are you?" The words may have been a little belligerent, but her tone was flat, calculating rather than aggressive.

TreeFolk

Grian shook his head, "We live through our legacies, and a death without honor is more final than death itself..."

He was prepared to continue but was cut off as Makani leaped to her feet. It was sad to say, but Grian had not yet noticed the dark featured man approaching until he was upon them. Blood loss often led to tunnel vision and hard hearing.

As best he could, Grian took his sword and used it to balance himself as he pushed himself to one knee, black hair plastered against his face as the blanket fell to his feet and exposed him to the cold air. He knew he probably made for a rather pathetic figure, not imposing at all like he might have been in peak health.

Makani's sharp questioning of the newcomer reminded him, again, of how socially out of his element he truly was. Offering the other man a smile, though it was clear he, too, thought to use his sword if necessary (and possible), Grian shrugged. "Better question is who."

KingTyrant

Leon raised his hands, taking a small step back as he eyed the staff. "Whoa, now... The weapon. Lower it, before you hurt someone." He murmured, his eyes narrowing and his voice as calm as possible. "If I wanted to hurt anyone, I would've brought my blade. The name's Leon. And you?"

He can't say he was surprised by her reaction. After all, he did appear from what seemed to be thin air. Not only that... But just look at him. He was clad from neck-to-toe in steel and looked like he hadn't seen a warm bath in days. Not a very trustworthy image.

He held out his armored hand, hoping to settle the tense atmosphere by any means necessary. Even handshakes... Another dislike of his.

DragonSong

Maka gave him a quick, up-and-down look. "I've seen men kill with less than what you've got on you," she pointed out, but she released one hand's grip on her staff and let it fall to her side, pointing at the ground, though she didn't let go completely.

She didn't move to take his hand either, her nature far too distrustful for such a thing. But...well, she supposed a name couldn't hurt. "Makani," she said briskly, giving him a sharp nod. Not like he could really do anything with that information.

Still flicking wary glances at this Leon person, she turned most her attention to Grian. "Damned fool," she muttered at him, bending to grab the blanket and drape it around him again, pushing lightly at his shoulder as she did to urge him to sit. "What part of rest is unclear to you?"

She was trying really hard not to pay attention to his state of undress.

TreeFolk

Grian didn't particularly like the other man's tone, but for the moment he appeared to not want to cause them harm. At Makani's comment, he gave a weak smile and sat back down. "The 'rest' part. Cannot say I am familiar with it."

Still, he reached for his sword and laid it across his lap where he could access it. As she had said earlier, it wasn't as if he could use it at the moment unless the man or whatever was going bump in the night decided to just fall into it. And that just wasn't the sort of streak of luck he'd been hitting in the last 24 hours or so.

With the tip of his sword he clumsily spread out his damp clothes from where he sat, hoping to have them dry quicker. The man's appearance had given him just enough adrenaline for that task, but breathing was beginning to feel difficult again. Stilling himself, his body shuddered, the corners of his eyes crinkled and strained in his pain and exhaustion. He felt lethargic. Nothing a good bit of rest might not fix? Wishful thinking, he knew.

KingTyrant

"True... But I have nothing to gain by killing you two." Leon answered, lowering his hand awkwardly. Quite the cautious one... Again, he could see why, but it still annoyed him to an extent. He gazed at the staff of hers for a long time, almost analyzing it and making little inferences in his head. A magic user? So even if he DID want to knock her block off for her bitter attitude, she'd have him dead in a heartbeat. He couldn't compete with magic.

His gaze shifted to Grian, seeing him in little more than a blanket. He took a whiff of the man. Reeking of river water and blood, as expected. "Little cold to take a dip in the river, isn't it?" He asked, his face showing no emotion, even at the joking remark. "Though, I bet that nifty battle scar of yours has something to do with you being in the river to begin with. Trust me, I'm a lot of things, but I'm not TOO stupid." He explained himself, realizing at the last second that these two might not've been too warm when it came to teasing jokes. At least... Not from him.

DragonSong

Maka frowned in concern as she watched Grian shiver and she shuffled a little closer, pressing her shoulder against his through the blanket in a rather pathetic attempt to share body heat. She simply looked at Leon when he spoke, face expressionless. She could hardly answer him- she didn't even know what had happened herself.

"What are you doing out here, anyway?" she asked bluntly, one hand still firmly gripping her staff. His interest in two random strangers- one obviously not able to fight back- was suspicious to her, to say the least.

KingTyrant

Leon crossed his arms, looking at her with a cold expression. "I'm passing through Serendipity, looking for work. I'm not the biggest fan of villages or towns, so I decided to camp out along the riverbank." He replied, getting into his usual, aggressive mood as soon as his attempts at friendliness had worn out.

"But since we like asking questions so much, why are YOU out here? Because it's pretty strange for guys like me to see a half-naked man with a hole in his torso next to some random mage. Much too far from that village up there, mind you." He spat, suddenly realizing how weird their presence seemed.

TreeFolk

Grian felt more comfortable with Makani closer to him, both for the warmth and human comfort she provided and for the proximity she would be in should things get hairy. At this distance, he might be able to help her if things came down to it, and this newcomer certainly seemed over-curious about his wounds. Or perhaps the man was just trying to joke with them and doing a poor job of it? He'd had his fair share of men fight for him with similar gruff attitudes and off-color humor.

Sizing the man up, Grian came to one of several conclusions. Mercenary was his first bet. Second, and less likely seeing as the man's armor seemed in rough state and he was off on his own, was that the man was a soldier or guardsman of some sort. Mostly, Grian found the man's eyes unnerving as they appeared to glow in the growing darkness. He hoped that the man wasn't somehow behind the villagers' fears of night, though certain legends from Ravensway travelers and other northerners spoke of beasts disguised as men.

Flexing his hand on his hilt, he addressed the man. "Somebody had profit to make of my death, and as my head is a bit tumbled from my wash in the rivers, I'm not too keen on sharing what I do know of it." He glanced at the man's hand, the callouses from sword use evident in his assessment. "As a fellow man of the sword, I'm sure you would also be wary if you were stabbed and tossed in the drink and left for dead. You might also expect those who did the tossing might be invested in ensuring you actually did die." He gave an almost apologetic smile to the man. "Only fair to be suspicious of your interest in myself and the lady."

To alleviate the sharpness of his words, Grian nodded towards the flask the healer had left with the whiskey. "Now, as a gesture of my good will, you are welcome to the whiskey in that flask. That is, if your intentions are of a good nature. Which I am certain they are." This last bit he said with gravity, dark eyes settling on the other man. His current state could not prevent him from feeling the need to make his opinion known on the matter. And, in his opinion, this man was edging on offensive and aggressive with his tone in front Makani. He was not one to start a fight, and would prevent it if necessary, but he sure as hell would make it clear he did not approve well before anything came to a head.

DragonSong

Maka kept quiet, letting Grian speak for them (them, since when had that happened? No matter, she'd be gone as soon as he was healed). She preferred to wait and watch rather than say something rash and pay for it later.

She didn't correct Leon's assumption about her being a mage- though she supposed it wasn't entirely incorrect, she felt no need to enlighten him, or Grian, about what exactly she could do.

Her eyes flickered watchfully between the two men, her grip on her staff tightening subtly. She wasn't gong to attack without cause, but it was always better to be prepared.

KingTyrant

Leon narrowed his eyes, saying nothing for a long time. He liked the man a Hell of a lot better than Maka, simply because his tone was a bit more polite. He slowly reached towards the flask, flicking it open and tipping it back against his lips, the whiskey flooding down his throat. He closed it, placing it back on the ground where he found it before crossing his arms with a sigh. "You want to know why I took an interest, do you? Fine. I'll tell you."

He looked up, seeing the moon now visible in the sky. His skin began to itch and crawl at the sight of it, but he was able to control himself, for the most part. At least long enough to explain himself. "I'm a mercenary from Adela. Like I said before, I came to Serendipity for work. I overheard that healer talking about your wound, and the first thing that came to my mind was coin." He said drily. "I thought that maybe I could hunt this person down for you. Or people. Or thing. Or whatever it was that tried killing you and tossing you in the river." He looked at his feet, feeling that it was a slight mistake to reveal himself as a mercenary. Just another reason for these people not to trust him...

He shrugged, looking back up at Grian. "Say what you will... But it is my source of income. I'll look for contracts wherever I can find them." He said honestly. "But considering that you truly don't know who did this, that leaves us at quite the impasse."

TreeFolk

Grian was not surprised, nor did he judge the man for his vocation. Every man had to make a living somehow, some more honorable than others. Mercenaries were not honorable, but nor were they dishonorable. The few he had come across seemed to operate on some moral code, though it was often on an individual basis rather than in relation to any type of culture or society.

In all the battles he had fought, Grian had never been one to hire on mercenaries. He much preferred to fight beside the men who were loyal to him and his, and found that loyalty won battles more than paid soldiers. Quality over quantity, though mercenaries certainly had their place in the world and were often better trained than the bulk of most armies. The thing about those lowly soldiers, though, was that they were fighting for something other than money. They fought for the lives of their families, for their own livelihoods, and that meant much more than fighting for the self and for money.

He respected the man for his straightforwardness, because although Grian has suspected something of the sort, he still liked men to state their business instead of masking it. "Can't say I can promise much in the way of coin at the moment, even if I had a clear purpose. I figure if and when I heal I will head towards home and try to suss the situation well out first before any action... That amount of time is not something I could promise adequate coin for, and you would surely find jobs before." Grian, though weakened, could still play every part the commander and lord as was concerned with business dealings. He never lied nor tried to pull the wool over others' eyes.

To be honest, through all of this he felt exhausted. Here he was, still knocking on deaths door, and this man was a bit like a carrion swooping over a battlefield as the fighting neared the end. His natural need to be there for the woman, who he already easily felt a loyalty to for her selfless aid, was all that kept him animated at the moment. If not he'd have been passed out, getting as much sleep as would be possible before the next challenge presented itself.   

DragonSong

"You need to rest," Maka said abruptly, frowning at Grian. She knew the signs of a person pushing himself too hard. Her eyes flicked to Leon and she said briskly, "If you really want a job, why don't you two discuss terms in the morning?"

She paused a moment, then added a little reluctantly, "You're welcome to share the fire until then." If he tried to pull something, she'd be on him in a heartbeat.

Returning her attention to the wounded man, she reached out as though to lay her hand on his shoulder, paused, then drew back. "That healer said you needed to clean out your wound," she muttered. "You should do that now, the sooner the better. Then rest. Gods, it's like you have a damned death wish."

TreeFolk

He was grateful for Makani's insistence on his rest. It almost felt like he needed permission from somebody else to rest before he could give himself permission to rest. The other man, at least for the moment, didn't seem like he wanted to do them harm. The worst the man could try was to steal the little coin Grian did have, or his weapons. All, to Grian, were replaceable with the exception of his sword. Other than that, the man could have at it. Hopefully, he'd be merciful enough to leave him his sword and clothing. Grian very much doubted it would come to that. Though mercenaries were known for killing for coin, they weren't known for stealing outright.

"You know, my mother always said the same of my father." The comparison was something he felt proud of, though his father's noble death did not feel worthwhile to his family. Makani might have been onto something with the whole 'no such thing as an honorable death' bit. Checking the wound, he cringed and scrubbed it, quickly pasting a poultice over it left by the healer. Placing one of the clean bandages on it, he carefully wrapped it around his waist.

Which left him to question whether or not she had just the one blanket. It would be improper to ask to share it... Prodding his clothing, they were still damp. Most likely would not dry until the sun came back up again. In only his underwear, he still reached out and draped the blanket over her shoulders. From what he knew of the woman, she would call him foolish again. Perhaps, yes, but to deprive a woman of a blanket on a cold night was not knightly.

Head beginning to spin from his actions, he took his now only slightly damp cloak and pulled it over himself before lowering in front of the fire. The time between giving her the blanket back and his descent to the ground happened in mere seconds, so if she protested he wasn't conscious to hear her. Despite not trusting the situation, there wasn't anything left in him to keep him awake. Fingers curled around the hilt of his sword, he had it hugged in its sheath close to his chest, sleeping on his uninjured side.

KingTyrant

Leon took her offer, sitting cross-legged by the fire silently. He looked over at Grian, sighing slightly. Maybe he could help find out who did this to him... Then again, that could take days. Months. Was it really worth the money? If he would even cough up money to begin with?

Leon cast frantic glances at the moon, his skin itching and crawling more and more as the time went by. He eventually got up, speed-walking away from the little camp and towards the cover of the woods as he felt himself begin to shift.