Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Serendipity

Started by Rhindeer, June 24, 2010, 01:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Brainstorm Serendipity stuffs here! ^^ Got ideas? Share them!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Ok....so I would like to make a movement to change the design of the Serendipity army garb. I know that Tal made up a sketch a few years back and I really just can't imagine it in a place like Serendipity. It is far too modern, and I would like to redesign it.

Ideas? aka, yay or nay? I have ideas already xD

Anonymous

I agree. And Serendipity is very magic heavy, so not some much advanced technology for sewing and clothing design.

Now, I know Gold and I were talking about vests for like Knights and things to be wearing. Full on uniforms weren't really around in the Dark Ages. Are we going to give high ranking people actual uniforms?

Personally, I would rather see vests or...god...what is that word....tabards! Those are much more period appropriate. And I don't think the common foot soldier should have any kind of uniform, as most are farmers and tradesmen that get pulled into fighting when a war breaks out.

Goldie

Well...I vote that high ranking military people should get full on uniforms. It distinguishes their rank and you can BET that they're filthy rich. After all, they're directly under the king's employ.

Anonymous

Yes xD That is true. Though, that asks another question. Are they wearing armor?

Yes armor, tabards would make more sense, as they were made to, you know, go over armor.

No armor because they are mage-faces, an official uniform would make sense.

Goldie

Here's the thing that I think is really important to remember when designing anything for Serendipity though.... or really ANY place...

This isn't the Dark Ages, it isn't anything that falls into any type of history that we know. And, even if you want to draw from that history, there's one huge MASSIVE crucial difference: Magic.

I look at it almost from a Dungeons and Dragons perspective.
1) Obviously they're not going to wear Iron, that would be stupid for Serendipity xD
2) Why not have armor that is drawn from magic? Tunics and such can be infused with armor without needing the bulk or the iron.

lol....and yes, Rina xD I did go to bed but I couldn't sleep because all of these thoughts were rolling around in my head!

The magic thing really changes everything, I think. As does the fact that they're descended from a fey heritage....I just have this whimsical feel from it all....both in regular clothing and in armor type things. I mean...who says that they have to purchase dyes? I know that I've played a textile mage before xD This also opens a wide range of stitching styles and just...

MAGIC! It changes everything! I know I've said that at least 5 times (I'm tired and rambling)

So....I just feel like I want more from them than just a tabard...and Serendipity isn't a poor nation, they're actually pretty wealthy with all the trade and that so money wouldn't really be an issue...

And seeing as this is its own entity and not really our history...I really do feel that the soldiers can most certainly have a uniform. Not the foot soldiers should they be enlisted in a fight, I definitely understand that, but just...more than a tabard. Nothing ridiculously fancy or anything, but like...I don't know, everything is issued, everything is uniform inside the palace. The higher ranked you are in the military, the more elaborate the uniform of course...but I just can't justify thinking, "Dark ages, medieval" because I feel like its so limiting with everything that is at Serendipity's fingertips.

I know that this basically goes against everything that we discussed and semi-agreed upon, Rina xD it was a major epiphany that I had while trying to sleep and failing.

Anonymous

Well, I think the idea of magic infused tabards is pretty cool.

I do HATE with a passion this idea that magic will fix everything. It bother me. I like the idea of nobles like....spinning cobwebs and moonbeams into some amazing dress at a ball, but for like everyday stuff saying, "Use magic!" bothers me. It's boring to me when some super force can come in and make it better.

And I never said upper ranks shouldn't have uniforms xD Just not the foot soldiers. You want the ranking soldiers to have them, fine. Go for it. I have no problems with it. I happen to think tabards look really good as a uniform, but that's just me. It gives a really cohesive look very simply, as it covers most people shoulder to knee. But, again, you want more, okay. Do more.

From a military stand point, the less fuss the easier it is to fight in it. If these leaders are actually taking the battle field, less fluff is better. Simple and easy as battle is messy and dirty and sturdy things are much better.

Rhindeer

Well, I can see your point, Rina. And for the countries that have little or no magic, that works fine. But I don't see why it can't be okay for, say, Serendipity which is built upon fae and magic and eccentricity. For Connlaoth? Not gonna work. For Serendipity? We can magic it all to hell and it works. SotE has medieval influences but it's also fantasy, and Serendipity I see as more...well, where you can go crazy with the costuming. So I agree with Gold's vision there because that's how I also picture it.

Not everything has to work strictly realistically in a magic-heavy country! xDDD Wy WOULDN'T they use the magic they have to cut corners? Why WOULD they do it the hard way when there's an easier way? That makes no sense.

Similarly, Serendipity honestly doesn't see much fighting. xD And a lot of it uses magic, too. So flouncy uniforms for the mages who aren't going to see close combat? Totally doable.

This would be lame if magic explained everything in ALL the countries, but for one country where it makes sense? I like it.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

I just don't like this idea that magic can replace everything. Why wouldn't everyone just use magic for everything then? Do I like the idea of it enhancing some of Serendipity's look? Sure. Like the magic tabards. I think that is cool.

But, I donno. Why would anyone study things if magic can do it for them? Why bother trading for dyes and special wools and silks when magic can just make it happen?

Rhindeer

Okay. Why WOULDN'T they use magic to cut corners when they have the ability to do so? Why WOULD they do it the harder, more timely way when they have the ability to do it easier?

QuoteBut, I donno. Why would anyone study things if magic can do it for them? Why bother trading for dyes and special wools and silks when magic can just make it happen?
Because not everyone in Serendipity IS a mage. And even if they were, the rest of the world isn't. They still trade with other nations. And there are different KINDS of mages. Maybe some need raw materials to work with.

And what about curiosity? Some people might be fascinated with the mundane, a la wizards versus muggles, to use a bad example.

Anonymous

I think it's okay to have magic being used quite a bit, I mean, people are lazy and powerhungry, they're going to use shortcuts. I mean, I've got two characters, father and son, one has no magic and studies and researches, while the other has magic and uses it for a lot of things. Not to mention people born of Fey, admittedly magical creatures, won't just turn their back on it.

Anonymous

I'm not saying they shouldn't cut corners. But where are the lines drawn? Can magic just fix every problem the nation faces?

Again, I think it's cool to add some magical spice to things, but, well, I don't like the idea of magic just replacing technology. Give them some fae influences, have dresses of stardust and cobwebs, but that fade in the light of day.

For me, I like to see nations that rely heavily on magic to have penalties because they rely so heavily on magic. The same way nations that rely heavily on technology are disadvantaged when magic would be easier.

But I seem to be alone in this camp. So I'll back off ^__^

Gold, do you wanna figure out the deal with the regular clothes? Lizzy and I will have to do a redesign with the idea that magic is being used for clothing.

Anonymous

Add on!

They are fae decedent right? Creatures of illusion and trickery. So it seems odd to me to have them have magic with major lasting effects. Fools gold and glamor and stuff is more up their alley.

Rhindeer

Oh, I'd like there to be disadvantages. x3 All magic has its cost, so there should be a downside to it. Any ideas, guys?

Magic that doesn't last is a cool idea.

Anonymous

Half way through a battle, everyone's naked xD

Anonymous

I love the idea of these crazy elaborate balls and parites where guests can show up in amazing clothes made of fantastic materials and dance in rooms with a night sky on the ceiling and fish swimming through the air and flowers blooming everywhere, but it vanishes in the daylight

But that the magic isn't always all that practical. The fae are /famous/ for being impractical.

Enchanted weapons and armor I think are awesome. Using magic to replace a lack of sewing technology or like...dyes and stuff just seems cheating. I'm /really/ not against them having magic to add to things. I just don't like it replacing technology.

Anonymous

It sorta is a good point, because like we've said, there ARE people without magic. So there would have to be some development in technology wouldn't there? You can't just ask your mage neighbour to come over and make bread dough for you because mortar and pestles aren't needed right? xD

Anonymous

Yes, but remember, peasants were not the people that were making most advances in technology. That was generally the upper class that had the time and money to devote to an education and study. And mages are going to be available to the upperclass, so the upperclass is far more likely to be advancing the study of magic, then, say, metal working or clothing designs.

Rhindeer

Anonymous

I'm really not against the idea of using magic to do some stuff. I'm really, really not. I agree there should be an elven/fae feel to Serendipity. NOT AGAINST THAT.

What I don't like is just saying magic will fix it. I would way rather come to a happy medium. There can be some very simple and elegant armors made that don't require a ton of dyes or advanced sewing techniques. And are magiced to protect the people wearing them.

I just don't want to see magic used to make every little thing better. That it can fix any problem the nation encounters. It can't just replace technology. It should have a downside. Personally, I think the downside of having to deal with /not/ having great roads or blacksmiting or sewing techniques is a good draw back. That magic can handle the big, grand gestures but the little things fall through the cracks.

I think it might also be cool to get some strife in this place. Why have an idealic land of happy, magical goodness? Why not have a huge gap between poor and wealthy? That those without magic or the money to buy magic have to deal with poverty and pain? Have poor roads and sanitation that the upper class just don't have to deal with. Put some grit into this place.

Fae were often cruel, why not have that side reflected? This just indifference by the upperclass, who is wrapped up in magic and politics. Have that bright, beautiful side just an illusion only the wealthy and powerful can enjoy