Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

NEW Serendipity brainstorming topic. xD

Started by Rhindeer, August 08, 2010, 11:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[center:2ch7rbfg]We are not changing the core of what Serendipity is.
What we have right now on the site is the FOUNDATION, the CORE, and we are not going to be changing that. We are, however, going to be BUILDING upon the FOUNDATION.

Also we will not be forcing anyone to play anything. xD
We are fleshing out what has already been established. If attitudes/beliefs are mentioned, it's in generic terms, and in terms of reputation. Not in terms of everyone must play this this way and it will be enforced.[/center:2ch7rbfg]

With that said, I want you all to say what you want to see in Serendipity.

Do not respond to anyone else's survey. Right now, we are only posting our individual wants. Please fill out this questionnaire.

I will not be participating except to be your moderator.

[b]GENERAL OVERVIEW[/b]
Tell us what your vision of Serendipity is. How do you see it? Do you like it how it is now? What's your favorite part about it? What's your least favorite part about it? What would you like to see added? What would you like to see tweaked? What would you absolutely NOT want changed?

[b]SPECIFIC QUESTIONS[/b]
[b]1.) What conflicts do you think would be fun for Serendipity? [/b]
Classism? Cults? Racism? Others?

[b]2.) How reliant upon magic is Serendipity?[/b]
What should it be capable of doing? What SHOULDN'T it do? What are its limits?

[b]3. What role does magic play in society?[/b]
What role does magic play in the day to day life of a peasant?  Of a middle class citizen?  Of a wealthy merchant?  Of a noble?

[b]4.) How do you think the classes should be divided?[/b]
Upper, middle, lower? No middle class? How wide are the gaps between the classes?

[b]5.) What technology level should Serendipity be at?[/b]
"Low tech" is not an answer! Give specifics! What mundane things would Serenians be good at? What would they be bad at? What would their weapons be like? Their medicine? Their roads? Their sewage system?

[b]6. What type of fashion do you see as being the majority?[/b]
Magical fashion for the nobles and simple designs for the lower class? Other ideas? Remember: just because something is a fashion trend, it doesn't mean your individual characters have to wear it. This is just what the majority (and NPCs) will most likely be found in.

[b]7. What kind of food do Serenians eat?[/b]
Spicy? Bland? Lots of meat? Heavy on the veggies? Fish-centric? etc. xD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

GENERAL OVERVIEW
Tell us what your vision of Serendipity is. How do you see it? Do you like it how it is now? What's your favorite part about it? What's your least favorite part about it? What would you like to see added? What would you like to see tweaked? What would you absolutely NOT want changed?

Personally, I like the way Serendipity is now. The main reason that I joined that nation and not Adela is the generic-sense about the whole thing. I could go in and create whatever I wanted. It gives artistic license that I did not quite find for Adela. Also, the non-aggressive nature of the city appealed to me, as I really dislike playing very angsty characters. While I understand the necessity of progress, progress isn't always a good thing when you're just looking for "change" especially in a place that is absolutely BOOMING like Serendipity. That said, I would like to stress that I'm not against evolution, nor adding some fun specifics like general clothing styles, or a set hierarchy of noble titles. Tweaking specifics that don't hinder players creativity is fine in my book.

Of everything, though, I absolutely DO NOT want the magic aspect of Serendipity to change. It's in their blood, they're descended from Feys and it SHOULD be a part of their everyday life. I also really REALLY like the idea that they focus on the mundane rather than the practical. Magic makes their progress frivolous and thus hinders their nation, really.  

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
1.) What conflicts do you think would be fun for Serendipity?
Classism? Cults? Racism? Others?
I really like Tal's idea about having an underground cult because, let's face it, there will be those people who aren't ok with the froo froo attitude of the nation and will want to do something else, deeper, darker. I think that could be a lot of fun roleplay for our players. I know, also, that I mentioned the racism as something, but I believe what Rhi said about not finding it appropriate really does make sense, so the more I think about it, the more racism just doesn't work. Yes, Serenian's are fey, but they are accepting of all types of magic. Instead, I can see them being fascinated with different rather than disturbed by it. Leave the racism to Connlaoth, I say.

Classism I can see, however, especially with my vision of Nobles being really out of touch with reality beyond magic. That said, I also do agree with Draco that this is Serendipity....and it really is cliche and, in my opinion just...lame...to change the place so drastically that it's "all bubbly and happy on the surface but underneath....."

The biggest thing that I agree with Draco is that the players make the gray areas. The players make it human. If we, as the admins/mods of the site start to enforce things like, "Nobles are out of touch, middle/low class find them silly" it takes away from the creativity and, I guarentee with too much of this, we will see an even greater populace of wanders/independents and....really if I didn't already have 50 characters I probably wouldn't join another Serenian. I think that it's really important, in a place like this, to not limit people so much by gray that they no longer find they're playing their own characters but cookie cutters of what we want to see.

Ok, that was a digression.

2.) How reliant upon magic is Serendipity?
VERY! It really just does. not. make sense to have a race and a city built upon fey magic and NOT use it! If you don't want to be so completely reliant upon it, go to Adela and to Connlaoth. We have an entire nation that doesn't use magic, so Serendipity has every right to use it all the freaking time xD. Rina also said at one point that the fey are stereotypically connected to useless magic and frilly things it can do, so I really think that Serendipity should reflect this. Build ridiculous towers and buildings, magic up elaborate gowns and jewelry just because they can! Come up with new things to magic! Magic IS Serendipity. That should not change.

3. What role does magic play in society?
What role does magic play in the day to day life of a peasant?  Of a middle class citizen?  Of a wealthy merchant?  Of a noble?
I really would like to stick to my initial idea that the biggest price of these hefty/frilly magics is time. Or maybe even a certain type of materials needed. For example: Upper class noble wants a dress. She wants it to look like she's wearing diamonds reflecting the moon. The way it's made? The magic doer would have to start with a base material like a silver silk that has small diamonds sewed along the hem. Then, to reflect the moonlight, he would could only work on it when the moon is highest in the sky and the magic has to feed off of the diamonds already stitched along the hem. The illusion of wearing moonlight comes from the moon's reflection of the actual moon and the magic doer has to feed off of the base materials. Thus, the more rich you are, the better gowns and creations you can have. I also REALLY REALLY like the idea of the frivolous gowns and such only lasting a short while before fading back to the base materials and even the idea that, to make it permanent, it takes MONTHS to magic instead of a few hours.

Thus, the more money you have (aka nobles and the really wealthy merchants) have more materials, money, and ability to get what's needed to do these fun magic bits. This also would leave the peasants at a disadvantage. They would have a much lower supply shelf and, even if they have the most amazing magic user, he/she could still only do so much.

4.) How do you think the classes should be divided?
Upper, middle, lower? No middle class? How wide are the gaps between the classes?
In a wealthy place like Serendipity where, I see, beauty means a whole lot and really...it's a well off place, the low class would not be that large. In fact, I would see the majority of them being traders/merchants and farmers. I also view farmers as middle class, not low class. I mean, obviously it depends on how fruitful your farm is, but food is really important! I also do like the idea that the nobility owns the land and rents it out to the farmers. In a way, each province being like a mini-kingdom with Fenway ruling all of them.

Again, obviously the scholars merchants and traders who fall into the middle class would probably be considered higher middle class than the farmers, but in order to rent out property, the farms will still have to make a good amount!

5.) What technology level should Serendipity be at?
"Low tech" is not an answer! Give specifics! What mundane things would Serenians be good at? What would they be bad at? What would their weapons be like? Their medicine? Their roads? Their sewage system?
With magic at their fingertips, I see Serendipity as "on the surface" appear to be advanced technology-wise. I emphasis APPEAR! They could have some sort of set-up for plumbing and magical waste removal, but the moment that say, a Mordecai appears, everything would stop working and it would all just be really pretty looking metal things. (Yes, I know it would not be iron but think about it...this is SotE...I am SURE that there are metals in this world that don't exist in ours! And hell, with magic Serenians could probably combine metals to making something "prettier" xD)

Weapons, however, are a different story. Firstly, Fenway is NOT Serenian so the whole "It looks impressive but sucks!" would not thrill him and you can BET that he'd make sure that their weapons are at least competent. Of course, this doesn't mean that they have guns, and I would probably venture to say that Adela surpasses them in weapons creation, but Fenway would make sure that come battle if magic doesn't work, the weapons would still be sharp and wouldn't fall apart.

Medicine, I would say that they really don't have a need for it. Again, what happens if all of the healers disappear? Serenians start flopping over dead from disease. I would say that they don't have ANY medicines really...maybe a few herbal concoctions passed along the low class where magic is scarcer, but actual pills and serums? I see them relying solely on their healers.

6. What type of fashion do you see as being the majority?
Magical fashion for the nobles and simple designs for the lower class? Other ideas? Remember: just because something is a fashion trend, it doesn't mean your individual characters have to wear it. This is just what the majority (and NPCs) will most likely be found in.

Here's my vision for fashion in Serendipity: "I will one-up you."

lol, let me explain if that made you go "O_o uh...what?" Basically, with all of the magic, I see nobles (really just the nobles in this sense, maybe a few upper merchants trying to fit in with nobility as well) wanting nothing more than to stand out. Even in the Elizabethan times, you wanted to be the one who one-uped your neighbor at court. You wanted to have the most bling. And I see this as especially true with Serendipity! The nobles can sit around all day and dream up these elaborate designs that take ridiculous magical precision where the most talented and best mages have to be found and brought in....where having that kind of magic is cut-throat and you always have to be on your toes because, god forbid your client shows up to a party and her dress is the same shade of aqua as some other girl!

As the wealth lessens, of course the ridiculous outfits will decrease as well with peasants wearing simple cotton/wool ensembles without much color because dyes are expensive. I still see women traditionally wearing floor-length dresses on a day-to-day basis (with an exception of travelers and such. If you're a woman wearing pants, you are obviously not a settled-down true-blood Serenian traditionalist woman). The lower economic people will focus more on the practical while the better off on frivolity.

7. What kind of food do Serenians eat?
Hahaha, when I saw this question all I could think of was "Fruit." and "Something colorful." I don't see them as a spicy place, but I see them as a flavorful probably with meat as an afterthought rather than the main course. I see "sweets" here too lol.

My Own General Concern
I really would hate to see all of the nations become so bogged down in specifics that we loose sight of the roleplay. I say this mainly because of what happened with me and RotE. RotE had so much detail and so much reading that I really never felt as if I was playing my own character and I absolutely hated it. SotE's appeal to me, and why I decided to drop RotE and stay here was really the freedom offered. The more we sit here and dish out these specifics and argue over changing the nations....the more I see myself disliking SotE like I did RotE. I urge people to remember that this is not a story, and this is not a novel that we're writing where the readers need to put themselves into our vision. I love SotE because the players make the world, not because the admins do. So, add specifics, but I am really uncertain about the number of specifics that go into it. I am concerned that it is going to make SotE less accessible and, ultimately, not as fun.

Rhindeer

Quick note!

QuoteIf we, as the admins/mods of the site start to enforce things like, "Nobles are out of touch, middle/low class find them silly"
I don't know where people are getting the idea we'd be forcing people to play anything, or enforcing this. xD I didn't want to reply to anything yet, but I just want to clear this up before everyone else replies with this...

The idea is that it'd be written into the setting as nobles having a earned a reputation for this. Not that everyone has to PLAY that. Same way it's written into the Pilot info that they have a rep for being cruel--but not everyone plays that! And Adela has a rep for being superstitious--but not all are! It's a reputation. x3 Nothing more.

But thank you for the insight!

Keep it coming, peeps. x3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

GENERAL OVERVIEW

Yeah, I have to say that I like Serendipity, as it is at the core. It's all nice and passive, with flowery sunshine goodness. If you wanted to play something odd, you could call it a Serenian because it was left so open as to what that could be. I'm definitely not against some evolution and definition to the world. Like tier levels for the nobility, a general clothing style for the classes, technology levels, that sort of stuff. I'm like Goldy, I'd like to keep the magic aspect of Serendipity, I like the idea of their focus being on mundane instead of practical, or with nobility, it can be maybe be on the extravagant?

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
1.) What conflicts do you think would be fun for Serendipity?
Short and sweet? I'm definitely happy with the idea of things like cults, underground black magic cults just infecting and changing how people look at magic, making other nations paranoid and angry at them perhaps. I know that wouldn't seem all that practical of course, but I like the idea of them wanting to be more...pure I guess? If it doesn't happen, that's cool, it just seems like a neat thing in a way. Trying to marry into other Fey families and what not to be all fancy. As for Classism...nyet. I don't think it would work for Serendipity, I really don't. I know that it could be a reputation, but if you look at a lot of the Nobles already made by the players, no one really has provinces and nobles that are just like "Hah hah, we're all fancy and doing fancy things while you people suffer or die or whatever." I know that's not accurate and stuff but still..classism isn't all feely to Serendipity. That's just how I feel.

2.) How reliant upon magic is Serendipity?

It's sort of a big question. I mean...what can't magic really do? There was a good point, that if you don't want to use magic, you could go to places that don't use it all that much. I think in the cities, it should be all focused. I mean Arca should be the grandmaster of beauty, with awesome roads and nice houses, great walls and that sort of thing...but then you move outwards to smaller towns and villages, it's more rustic and humble. They try to at least have nice maybe dirt roads and stuff, but it isn't anything spectacular. I think with places that there would be large concentrations of mages, there shouldn't be a whole lot that stops them from doing awesome, perhaps over the top ridiculous stuff.

3. What role does magic play in society?

Gold's idea I think is nice, where it like...pools up at the top for the Nobles, then it goes down and down until it's just trickling down to the peasants. I like the idea of it requiring materials and it fades away and stuff like that!

4.) How do you think the classes should be divided?

I think there should be three classes...Upper, middle, lower...with Upper being the fanciest, fulliest, wealthiest of course, then the middle class being smallest, just making up successful merchants and people like that, then lower class being the peasants and commoners, maybe the labourers and such? There wouldn't be a huge gap between the middle and lower glass, but the gap would be noticeable between upper and middle.

5.) What technology level should Serendipity be at?

Like I said, in the cities, they should have good tech...nice roads, maybe some form of sewage system and plumbing system, all magical in it's way...but of course, it can be destroyed, it can be dispelled and made useless! I mean, maybe there are spells that emit light during the night to light the streets of the city...I think they should have the appearance and glamour of being advances, but I don't think it should be all actual technology. Like they can make it work, they can get it all to do what they want, they can build it...but do they understand how it would work without magic? Nope! It works, but when there isn't magic, they don't know crap about how it works. As for weapons? Well, I don't see iron and all that, but I could see...as it's been said...other metals having been used maybe, to get around that particular disability.

I see rudimentry herbs and stuff for their medicine, enough that they're protected if they can't get to a healer. I've always pictured healing magic as divine, so if you can't get any divine spells going on, you've gotta rely on herbs and stuff. I don't know if they'd know about sewing up wounds and stuff like that would have occured to them, but maybe using fire to brand it shut? In any even, I just see basic medicinal herbs and stuff being used to ward off infection or pain while they do their best stop bleeding or diseases and the like.

6. What type of fashion do you see as being the majority?

I'm very bland when it comes to clothing and fashion, so really I just see it being the nobles wearing all the really good, extravagant and even frivilous fashion, lots of gold and jewelry perhaps, with over the top hair styles and such...then you get to the middle class who may wear nice tunics and perhaps waist coats of some kind...they have a certain air about them, but they're not over the top. Like you could take off your fancy coat and maybe your nice boots and still get dirty. Then the lower class just wears simple things, maybe they have a really nice set of clothes for those extremely special occasions when they know a royal is visiting or something to that degree.

7. What kind of food do Serenians eat?

I think it all depends one what sort of place you're in. I think that the nobles would eat really nice fruit and vegetable dishes, with lots of creams perhaps and fancy sweets. I don't think they'd eat a lot of spicy things, but I don't think they'd do blade either. I think it would just be...sweet stuff!