Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

SERENDIPITY FASHION

Started by Rhindeer, August 19, 2010, 12:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Serendipity fashion for the nation as a whole.

What I have currently written in the Serendipity write-up (which people still need to give feedback on):

Flowing, sleek, and elegant.

When it comes to social events, Serendipity's nobility likes to stand out. With hired mages at their beck and call to create magic-enhanced masterpieces, and with the coin to purchase bright, expensive dyes, they can. The nobility at large has earned a reputation for being showy, and many enjoy one-upping their neighbors, always keeping an eye on what the other Lords and Ladies are wearing so that they can outdo them. Indeed, social functions can be a sight to see (and competition can get fierce), for there is no length that they won't go to in order to be noticed.

It is not unusual for nobles to commission expensive, magical gowns that take hour or even days to make--which are only a one-time use sort of deal, vanishing back to their base materials after a few hours. Many mages can make it a permanent effect--but it takes far more time to craft, and more money. These works of art are typically not daily wear (though there are those people who make exceptions) and are generally reserved for special occasions.

For everyday wear, Serenians tend to favor loose, flowing designs--which is where the stereotype of mages wearing robes likely originated. Though simple, many Serenians work hard to make sure their clothing is still elegant, for there is elegance even in simplicity and Serenians value aesthetics. Traditionally, women wear floor-length dresses while men wear pants. Note: Some men wear toga/tunic-like skirts? Think Link-ish. Y/N?

While that is the current trend, Serendipity also imports other fashions from their neighboring countries, so it is not unusual to see citizens wearing trends from other nations if they can afford it. It is also not unusual for mages to craft new styles that could not be possible with Serendipity's current level of sewing technology.

Thoughts? Additions? Feel free to post your own designs. I wrote this going off of what other people had written, so this is my assumption.

If you don't like something, don't just say you don't like it. Say why--and THEN say what you would like INSTEAD. xD

It's not helpful to this process is you just say you like or don't like something. Tell me what you want to see.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

I am pretty much on the same page with the fashion trends, I think. My only question is, when you say they're mage-like robes....do you mean potato sacks with hoods? Because that, to me, doesn't scream Serendipity xD I see even the low class having some shape to their clothing! In my head, mage-type-robes scream....matronly and just not flattering. I really REALLY love the sleek elegant look and I think it fits Serendipity a lot. That said, I can see the lower-classes/middle class/generic idea of everyday wear following that same idea, but obviously without the glamor and such of the upper classes!

Let's see if I can put it into words.....

I can see floor-length dresses, not big or billowy really, but probably a simple a-line cut (aka somewhat form fitted up top and a slight flare out from the hips to the floor). I can also see empire-waist styles here too...like a simple cotton dress, dyed with whatever they have on hand, and maybe a decorative ribbon for special occasions. And actually, thinking about it....there are a lot of the mage-robes styled in the a-line idea. So I guess, I'm saying ok....? lol

If the mage robe idea includes hoods....I really just don't see it in the practical sense for the mid/lower classes. That extra fabric really wouldn't be necessary and hats would be cheaper than purchasing the time and tools necessary to add a hood to their clothes.

As for the upper classes, I kind of see it as a free-for-all. Those rich and vain enough would wear ridiculous things everyday. Those not quite as rich would have elaborately embroidered silks/velvets/organzas (all of which were 100% used in the Elizabethan time so they're not polyester or anything xD and could thus be made w/o magic or technology) and, again, maybe the general shape of the a-line but on a much grander scale? Kind of like...add elongated sleeves, trains, more room in the skirt to show off that they can purchase all of the fabric needed? And I guess the ultimate feel that nobility would go for is "beauty" (whatever form that happens to be for them).

Ooook moving on to men! I see tunics (Link-style) but...I really don't see skirts. I mean, tunics aren't skirts they're like...a long shirt/short dress really...so if that's what you're asking than yes! Absolutely yes! I can even see some of the upper class men doing doublets or something. But as a general rule? I like the link-type tunics in varying degrees of elaborateness with pants/breeches and boots. I can also see the lower classes just wearing cheap pants and loose shirts as well, to save on the expense that a tunic might provide.

So....I'm not sure if I've just agreed and elaborated on what you were saying or said completely different ideas xDDD

Anonymous

Well, I think Lizzy and I did a pretty good job of doing mage-/like/ robes with out looking like potato sacks. As everyone seems to hate the skirts, we're redoing those to be more of a tunic.

QuoteI can see floor-length dresses, not big or billowy really, but probably a simple a-line cut (aka somewhat form fitted up top and a slight flare out from the hips to the floor). I can also see empire-waist styles here too...like a simple cotton dress, dyed with whatever they have on hand, and maybe a decorative ribbon for special occasions. And actually, thinking about it....there are a lot of the mage-robes styled in the a-line idea. So I guess, I'm saying ok....? lol

I, first off, hate empire-waste styles with a passion. I think they make girls look pregnant. And simple cotton ones are really regency period, I don't really like the idea of using them. Plus, they just scream prom dress to me. Personally, I would really like to see things like braiding, weaving and draping played with. Those all don't require a high tech level and can look really beautiful.

QuoteIf the mage robe idea includes hoods....I really just don't see it in the practical sense for the mid/lower classes. That extra fabric really wouldn't be necessary and hats would be cheaper than purchasing the time and tools necessary to add a hood to their clothes.

Hats are actually much harder to make and are more expensive than hoods. Unless it's a really simple cloth hat, and then, it might as well be a hood. But, remember, hoods are just a stylized choice that the nation likes. It doesn't mean it's a uniform. Not everyone is wearing them all the time. They just /like/ hoods and like the look of them and prefer to add them into their clothes.

QuoteAs for the upper classes, I kind of see it as a free-for-all. Those rich and vain enough would wear ridiculous things everyday.
See, I want to see the rich wearing amazing things, but I feel like going too crazy with it for everyday wear is going to make them...comical. I love the idea that the nobles go /all/ out for parties, but for everyday wear, I want to see....well...more beauty and less tacky. They are supposed to have a strong sense of aesthetics and I don't like the idea of them going gaudy and tacky everyday.

I'm not saying they can't have some impressive stuff. I would love to see the rich spending a lot of money to import some really lovely fabrics and textiles and stuff to add a really expensive look to some sleek, beautiful designs.

QuoteThose not quite as rich would have elaborately embroidered silks/velvets/organzas (all of which were 100% used in the Elizabethan time so they're not polyester or anything xD and could thus be made w/o magic or technology)

Embroidered silks and velvets are both very stiff. And velvet, without synthetic weaves in it, is really, really, really heavy. Using those will kill the light flowing movement of the style that is in Rhi's write up. Organzas and non embroidered silks will be kinnda scratchy, but they both have good movement and I think a lot of clothes can be made out of those.

Also, what do you mean they can be made without technology? Those things aren't easy to learn to make xD That stuff doesn't just happen, people have to learn how to create it. Which is technology. I'm not really sure what it is you think technology is? I think we are on different pages here.

QuoteKind of like...add elongated sleeves, trains, more room in the skirt to show off that they can purchase all of the fabric needed? And I guess the ultimate feel that nobility would go for is "beauty" (whatever form that happens to be for them).

I think a lot of those above ideas are very cool and should totally be used. However, I think a lot of those should be regional. Like...X province has a hard on for really long sleeves, and this other place likes some really impressive and crazy expensive beading. Keep a strong core style that the different areas build off of with the little detailing.

Goldie

Ok, when I said "technology" I basically meant they're not synthetic and wouldn't use plastic fibers in their weave. Aka, they can be created from 100% natural material xD when I wrote that out I just couldn't think of a better word for it so went with the generic term "technology." (also, you'd be surprised at they kinds of things you can make by hand, without machines and such! So regardless of the technology level, there can be some freaking talented seamstresses/tailors that can do WONDERS with needle and thread! I mean...just look at some of those couture gowns... like holy moly THIS was done completely by HAND?! xD)

Also...hoods to me do not scream elegant and I just can't see the people in Serendipity, with so much at their fingertips and their focus on beauty...focusing on hoods....it just...seems weird. That's not to say that some people might not really like them, but as a whole it seems very out of place. Elegant and flowy, to me, speaks more of trains and (like you mentioned) draped fabrics but not....hoods. With your moonspear idea, the whole going against vampires, I can see the hoods being a trend there, but not as an overarching "Serenians love hoods"

As for the velvets, you're right about them being heavy but I was thinking more along the lines of giving some awesome texture to an overall look. It doesn't mean they'll want to wear a dress COMPLETELY out of velvet, but mixing of a flowy with a stiffer can really be quite stunning. Also, I was just mentioning some fabrics that really, only nobility and reeeaaaallly wealthy people would have at their disposal xD

And again, I didn't say it would be something that all nobility would do, but there are bound to be crazy eccentric nobility out there who would want nothing less than to walk around in extravagant gowns all the time xD That also said, I never really considered their "party attire" to be gaudy just....absolutely stunning. Like, taking a clean cut gown and magicking it to look like moonbeams spilling off of the dress rather than "OMG MORE GEMS! I NEED MORE GEMS! RIBBON GOLD SILVER YAAAY!" >_>

Moving onto empire waist, it depends on the type of empire waist! The technical definition of an "empire waist" is having a prominent seam below the bust. It can be an a-line cut dress with an empire waist, it can be a form fitting gown with an empire waist, or it could be a more Grecian style have have that flowing right out from the bust that doesn't always look good on everyone (But damnit they're still beautiful on the people who can wear it! >_<)

And I did like your Moonspear dress. I thought it was really pretty.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gold"Ok, when I said "technology" I basically meant they're not synthetic and wouldn't use plastic fibers in their weave. Aka, they can be created from 100% natural material xD when I wrote that out I just couldn't think of a better word for it so went with the generic term "technology." (also, you'd be surprised at they kinds of things you can make by hand, without machines and such! So regardless of the technology level, there can be some freaking talented seamstresses/tailors that can do WONDERS with needle and thread! I mean...just look at some of those couture gowns... like holy moly THIS was done completely by HAND?! xD)

And I'm not arguing that some amazing things can be done by hand. Because they can. I just find it hard to imagine a people that really rely on magic have developed the skills required to make those things. But that's just me.

Quote from: "Gold"Also...hoods to me do not scream elegant and I just can't see the people in Serendipity, with so much at their fingertips and their focus on beauty...focusing on hoods....it just...seems weird. That's not to say that some people might not really like them, but as a whole it seems very out of place. Elegant and flowy, to me, speaks more of trains and (like you mentioned) draped fabrics but not....hoods. With your moonspear idea, the whole going against vampires, I can see the hoods being a trend there, but not as an overarching "Serenians love hoods"

Well, that's fine by me xD It can just be a Moonspear thing. Though I thought the males hood was pretty elegant, but that's just me

Quote from: "Gold"As for the velvets, you're right about them being heavy but I was thinking more along the lines of giving some awesome texture to an overall look. It doesn't mean they'll want to wear a dress COMPLETELY out of velvet, but mixing of a flowy with a stiffer can really be quite stunning. Also, I was just mentioning some fabrics that really, only nobility and reeeaaaallly wealthy people would have at their disposal xD

I can see that. Just touches of it. I just really see them in mostly light fabrics, so they have all that movement. And again, I really would like to see braiding and draping and weaving. I think those can have some really beautiful effects and that just seems more to fit with the flighty, mercurial fae nature of the Serenians.

Quote from: "Gold"And again, I didn't say it would be something that all nobility would do, but there are bound to be crazy eccentric nobility out there who would want nothing less than to walk around in extravagant gowns all the time xD That also said, I never really considered their "party attire" to be gaudy just....absolutely stunning. Like, taking a clean cut gown and magicking it to look like moonbeams spilling off of the dress rather than "OMG MORE GEMS! I NEED MORE GEMS! RIBBON GOLD SILVER YAAAY!" >_>

Well, just the way you talk about them in these crazy, free-for-all styles all the time makes me think really gaudy. And, well, personally I think moonbeams spilling off a dress is kinnda tacky xD I just always pictures a sleek elegance for them. And for parties they do things like spin a dress out of cobwebs, but not go into that...well...drag queen/stripper place

Quote from: "Gold"Moving onto empire waist, it depends on the type of empire waist! The technical definition of an "empire waist" is having a prominent seam below the bust. It can be an a-line cut dress with an empire waist, it can be a form fitting gown with an empire waist, or it could be a more Grecian style have have that flowing right out from the bust that doesn't always look good on everyone (But damnit they're still beautiful on the people who can wear it! >_<)

While that is true, the first style looks prom dress to me. Which I don't like the idea of at all and the fabrics to pull that style off don't come until much later. And the second one has a corset going on xD Which is not bad, as that's what Lizzy and I did in the Moonspear designs. But that sort of removes the point in having an empire waist.

Anonymous

I guess I should clarify about the fabrics one, I don't really have a problem with them having those fabrics, I just don't think they should be able to make them. They have to import them from other nations. I'm fine with that.

Rhindeer

I like the idea of importing stuff. ^^

I feel like that's a good way of making each country that much more unique. I love the little details. Serendipity doesn't have the inseam? Well, they can import some breeches from Connlaoth. An eccentric Adelan wants some fabulously flowy and elegant design? They can get it from Serendipity. Etc. Gives each nation some little details that are unique to them, and it also interconnects the nations that much more and gives them all their own identity, and their own strengths and weaknesses on a smaller level. But really, it is all those little details that make up the big picture. :3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

"Well, you do hunt and persecute people who actively use magic, but damned if you can't sew a nice inseam!"

Rhindeer

Yep!

Nations don't always trade with nations they like. Look at the USA (and pretty much everywhere). We don't like China; there are a lot of human rights issues going on, and political/military tension, but most of our stuff? From China. xD We're at war with Iraq, yet we still import their oil.

And we've toned down the magic persecution some, and will be giving them more justification with the chaos plague. :3 So it's all good! xDD