Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Volatile [M]

Started by Lowen Thorn, July 27, 2018, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

"Medicine it is then," he concurred. He shuffled her lightly towards the bed before making his way back toward the door. "Sit down. Try to rest. I'll be back in no time," he said. He opened the door and began to walk out, but stopped just enough to peer through the frame at her with a not-so-amused look on his face. "By the way.. I speak Thanati, and that wasn't very nice."

He closed the door and a a self-satisfied grin returned to his lips. He didn't speak a word of Thanati.

DragonSong

Yona started slightly for that, but she could do little more than glare and make a rude gesture at his back as he closed the door behind him.

He was bluffing. Right? She was pretty sure he was bluffing.

With nothing else to do, the elementalist huffed out a sharp breath and all but collapsed onto the small cot, flopping onto her back to stare blankly up at the ceiling.

Lowen Thorn

Number one rule of hiding in plain sight? Act like you own the place, or act like you own the ship in this instance. Maybe not the number one rule, as there were really no rules in this line of business, but it was Amaya's number one rule.

The vessel itself was too small and cramped to really sneak around effectively, so he had no choice but to act like he belonged there. "Beautiful day," he said as he passed a group of what he assumed were sailors. "Lookin' good, buddy," he said to another. "Hey there, ma'am, happen to have any medicine? I'm just trying to prepare for the inevitable."

The woman he spoke to was at on the deck, arms slung over the rails as she watched the ocean waves take them further away from civilization. Her crimson hair was like fire in the sunlight, only long enough to gently brush her shoulders, and just messy enough to hide her obvious elf ears.

When she turned to face him, there was a slight amused smirk tucked at her lips, and a spark in her emerald green eyes.

"You're one of the stowaways, ain't ya?" she asked, voice both seemingly sweet and sharp. "Don't worry," she quickly added, reading his reaction. "I am too. No one cares. Just don't get in anybody's way and you'll be fine."

Amaya started to deny it, but instead shrugged. "You got me," he replied. "So you got any medicine.. miss..?"

"Regen," the woman said as she went to shake his head. "Regen Wintzel."

DragonSong

Yona waited on her back on the cot, eyes absently tracing patterns and whorls on the ceiling above her.

Surely it can't take too long to find some medicine for seasickness, she thought idly, glancing to the door. Should she risk going out to find him?

Lowen Thorn

"You don't look seasick," Regen noted, tilting her head to the side as to examine the bounty hunter a little closer.

"Not me," he replied before gesturing back to the cabin in which he came.

"Ah. The pretty one," the woman said back before digging into her pockets. "First one's free."

From her pockets she pulled a little vile of what he assumed was medicine for Yona. That was easy enough. It's color was almost pink, and it was clearly a thick substance. Probably tasted like shit, but it would have to do. Better than puking all-day everyday for the foreseeable future.

"Thanks," he said simply enough. He took the vile from her hands and slipped it into his own pockets. "Amaya Midgar," was his half-ass introduction before turning away from her and walking back toward the room. "See ya around."

Normally, he would stay to chit-chat with the pretty elf-woman, especially with one that seemed just as cunning as he, if not more so, but he was a little more worried about Yona and their next move than he was about some strange bird at the time.

He returned to the room shortly enough and tossed the medicine bottle through the air in the direction of the cot. "Catch," he said, dropping his hand to his side. He didn't wait to see if his companion actually caught the bottle - bad luck if she didn't - as when his hand fell and brushed his pant pocket, he felt a noticeable different in weight.

He rummaged his fingers through his pocket and by surprise found an his lips curling into a challenged grin. That woman on the deck.

He'd been robbed.

DragonSong

Yona quickly scrambled to sit up and catch whatever it was he'd thrown to her--a small bottle, apparently--but her attention was quickly drawn to the sudden, strange expression on his face.

"What happened?" she asked warily, scooting to the edge of the bed and narrowing her eyes at him.

Lowen Thorn

Amaya lips curled into a lopsided grin and he shrugged. "Oh, nothing," he lied before walking further into the room. He found the wall opposite to the cot where Yona was sitting and let his back rest against it before sliding down into a sitting position.

"I wouldn't drink all of that at once," he added. Really, if this woman robbed him, it may not have been the best idea to drink it all - but he pegged her more for a thief than anything truly malicious. "Probably potent stuff. Just take it as you need it."

DragonSong

She fiddled with the bottle for a moment before flipping the catch on the lid and taking a quick sniff.

It just smelled like herbs. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Still, she took only one, cautious sip before capping the bottle again and placing it on the small table beside the bed.

"So. What now?"

Lowen Thorn

"You should take it easy," he said in response. "Let the medicine take effect and relax a bit. We're in the clear for a little while, so there's no need to rush into anything."

That was about as good of advice as he could give, and one he intended to follow himself. According to Regen, sneaking around on this ship wouldn't be that difficult, or that necessary, but at the same time he didn't know if he could trust her as fall as he could throw her.

He'd get his money back, that was for sure. He would just let her think she won for the time being.

DragonSong

"Mmmph." Yona rolled onto her side on the cot, resisting the urge to curl into a ball. "If this doesn't work, I'll make sure that I'll throw up on you," she mumbled into the rather thin and tatty pillow, waving one hand tiredly in Amaya's direction.

Lowen Thorn

"If this doesn't work," he repeated the words back to her, "I'm throwing you overboard. The smell of vomit is terrible."

All-too-happy with his little jest, he folded his arms over his chest and cocked a brow at her. "How bout you just focus-"

Knock. Knock.

The quick, nearly-muffled, sound of someone rapping on the door broke his sentence. He peered over at it silently, unsure if he should answer or not. Who could it be?

DragonSong

Yona jerked upright, eyes flicking wildly around the room as she simultaneously searched for a weapon and a means of escape. Coming up with neither, she looked to Amaya, wide-eyed.

What do we do? she mouthed, her hands curling into fists as she gripped the sheets.

Lowen Thorn

Amaya shrugged at Yona's panic.

"It's fine," he said nonchalantly. It would probably be fine, he thought. He walked over to the door like he owned the room and swung it open. "And just what do-"

"Didn't think you'd answer," Regen said as she paraded into the cabin past him. Whew. Just her. His confidence in answering the knock was soley based on the low probability that it would be in fact the thief. "I didn't actually secure a room so I'm going to sleep here tonight."

Amaya was both floored and amused at decision and just stood there with his mouth slightly agape at her. "Oh you're staying here?" he repeated. "How about you give me back that money you stole from me?"

The woman rolled her eyes and dug into her pockets. "For now," she handed over the coin.

The bounty hunter took back what belonged to him quickly enough, holding it in the palm of his fist for the time, then looked between the two women. "This room is full," he said flatly. "Can't stay he-"

"And what's your name, love?" Regen interrupted him again, moving closer to the bed and giving Yona a sly smile. "How's that medicine treating you?"

DragonSong

"I, ah..." Yona looked back and forth between the two of them, wide-eyed. "I'm...Yona?" she offered hesitantly.

Giving her head a brisk shake, she cleared her throat and tried again, more firmly, "Yona. It's...my name's Yona. Who are you again? What exactly is going on here?"

Lowen Thorn

"This is-"

"I'm the one that provided the medicine!" Regen piped proudly with both hands resting on her hips. "My name's Regen. Nice to meet you, Yona."

The bounty hunter sighed with slight aggravation before folding his arms over his chest in a disapproving manner. He took his spot back against the wall and kept a close eye on their guest to make sure she wasn't up to anything. He wouldn't fall whatever she may have been planning for a second time.

Regen didn't wait for Yona to respond, either by talking or offering a handshake - however she may have responded, and crawled onto the cot next to her and got too-cozy-for-comfort near immediately.

"I said you can't-"

"So what brings you two to Yoreiq?" she interrupted once more. Amaya's face was almost red with frustration. She didn't seem to notice, or care, as her attention was fully on Yona.

DragonSong

"Uh-ummm..." Yona scooted quickly to the edge of the cot, wide eyed as she just stared at Regen. "Well, that's...thank you?"

She glanced over her shoulder to Amaya, utterly baffled and unsure what to do, how to react. Why was she so close?

"We're just...going for a change of scene?" she offered, her voice squeaking slightly on the last word.

Lowen Thorn

The bounty hunter's eyes nearly rolled right out of their sockets, and then he sighed with finality with Yona's clearly uncomfortable response. "We're on the run from ruthless killers," he said firmly. "If you hang around us for too long they may come after you too. Better be careful."

"Ooooooooh," Regen practically teased. "Sounds fun, but no thanks. I don't want to be involved in that."

"Didn't think so."

"What's your story?" Regen's attention was temporarily on Amaya, but soon shifted back to the girl on the cot. "Why are you with him? He holding you hostage? You two don't mesh well at all."

DragonSong

Yona looked between the two of them again. She might have tried to scoot further away, but there wasn't any room left on the cot. "We're just...together," she mumbled eventually, shifting nervously.

She didn't know what else to say. That Amaya had been hunting her for a bounty? That he'd risked himself and his friends to take her somewhere safe? That it had backfired spectacularly.

Uncomfortable, she tried to get as much physical difference between herself and Regen as possible, one arm wrapped around her body to hold her upper arm.

Lowen Thorn

This woman is a complete tool. Completely, unquestionably, and unarguably full-of-it. Too confident for her own boots, clever enough to boast confidence, and a demanding presence that no one necessarily asked for. That is what the bounty hunter thought of her, at least.

In reality, Regen Wintzel was the female version of Amaya Midgar, but softer on the eyes and with better manners. She stole people's money for a living, he stole people's livelihoods for a living.  Tomato, tomahto!

"I'm not holding anyone hostage," he intervened. "We're together because we want to be. Simple as that."

Regen shrugged. It wasn't the answer she was looking for, but she decided not to press the issue any further. "Fine," she said with a touch of finality before scooting off of the cot and giving Yona the space she was desperately looking for. "Got some friends in the Isles," she started. "I'm going for a visit. Not quite extravagant as what you two are doing, but I'm looking forward to it."

Is everyone on the run for their lives? Regen couldn't help but wonder. These two strangers situation was more than a little similar to Dinny and Rose.

...Not that she had to concern herself with that.

DragonSong

"That's, um...nice." Yona looked from her to the door, then to Amaya, utterly at a loss. "Well, ah--good luck? With seeing your friends?"

She winced, feeling small and awkward. She could barely handle Amaya most of the time, she had no idea how to deal with two of him.